Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
None of these things rule out suicide, take a look at the pictures of Chester Bennington (a father of six, a millionaire, and a highly successful musician) shortly before his death. Looked happy as anything, with his kids.

I think it was on balance an accident with an element of not caring involved. I do think it will be impossible to show it was suicide unless Nicola indicated she would take this action because no-one seems to have seen her go into the water.
Yes I agree nothing rules out suicide … but my belief is it wasn’t. Based on only my opinion and reading and background in psychology. Happy I may be wrong of course

I do feel that PF is being unfairly criticised. He offered his services for free at the request of family. Ok he may have been a bit OTT when saying she 100% isn’t in there but people are only human. JMO.
Again, he did a kind act, by sending out resources to help, however, this did not afford him a free license to comment on anything and everything. He was not a spokesperson, he was somebody with equipment and domain knowledge, and he should have stayed focused on this, rather than getting involved with the media in the way he did. We still do not know the details, and PF may prove to be correct, but he needs to shut up, and stay away from the media.

I’m not skilled in any of these areas but it is surprising. The authorities were almost certain she was in the river from the beginning and this was their working theory. It does seem strange that she was not located sooner… but to search river bed bottoms may involve many complexities. Either that or the body was not in the river for the duration. Open mind
I agree @PeggyHenry
It is Naive for anyone not to consider that a body can be placed somewhere after an abduction.
It happens often.
The obsession that she fell in the river from the start, without any evidence to suggest this other than a river being close by and even after extensive searches didn't find her, has to come from somewhere.

I don't believe that she would have threatened to someone to do this as her partner and family didn't believe she was in the river.

I would like to know where she was for the last 23 days and how people can get so close to film the spot she was found. An area that should be crawled over with a fine tooth comb.

Until you have the results of a post mortem you have to search the whole area as to search after the results will find lots of trinkets from YouTubers, tourists and Tick Tockers.

Don't you think it would be rather obvious to the recovery team whether the body has been in the water for weeks or only recently put there?

Surely we should wait for confirmation of known facts.

I agree @PeggyHenry
It is Naive for anyone not to consider that a body can be placed somewhere after an abduction.
It happens often.
The obsession that she fell in the river from the start, without any evidence to suggest this other than a river being close by and even after extensive searches didn't find her, has to come from somewhere.

I don't believe that she would have threatened to someone to do this as her partner and family didn't believe she was in the river.

I would like to know where she was for the last 23 days and how people can get so close to film the spot she was found. An area that should be crawled over with a fine tooth comb.

Until you have the results of a post mortem you have to search the whole area as to search after the results will find lots of trinkets from YouTubers, tourists and Tick Tockers.
I don’t think the police’s working hypothesis can be categorised as an “obsession” nor is it “naive.” They’ve been open to other answers, whilst working with the most likely answer until they had evidence to the contrary. So far, it looks like they had things correct. There were multiple witnesses around and seemingly no-one saw anything indicating foul play. The police will know very quickly if the body is one of someone who has been in there for three weeks or not. If we are thinking she could have come to harm and been put in the water within a couple of days of going missing, I hope the police have kept their minds open but there is zero evidence for that idea (anyone else involved) so far.

Absolutely 100%, great post. It’s the media insisting NB’s reputation was “trashed” who are contributing to, if not entirely causing, the “trashing” here.
Couldn't agree more! I don't think any less of NB from what we know of her. I do, however, think a LOT less of MSM and some folks in this country....

Yes I agree nothing rules out suicide … but my belief is it wasn’t. Based on only my opinion and reading and background in psychology. Happy I may be wrong of course
Understood. I personally don’t think it was suicide either. I think it might have been a reckless act involving alcohol and walking near water, but that’s just my view. But people who seem busy and happy and have kids take their own lives every single day sadly. There is no life circumstance that precludes it.

I’ve just watched all of this. Thank you for posting; a fascinating watch. I wonder if she has been an advisor on this case.
I think she’s the ‘Go to Gal’ in tricky cases like this one nationwide so I would have thought she’d be called on. Her academic bio is seriously impressive and she’s advised on Silent Witness Professor Carolyn Roberts

The top tweet makes it sound like police discovered the body first, but it was two members of the public who did so.

Yes I suppose it is inaccurate but I've seen loads of similar comments so am just jumping off your post.

At the 3rd press conference, Supt Sally Riley was asked questions such as
- how much land based searching have you done?

As well as mentioning all the land based and river bank searches which were still happening ( Including the 2 searcher-officers doing 6 miles of riverbank every day) she said:

the publicity has been such now that I think local anglers, wildfowlers, people enjoying the countryside, dog walkers, local residents, people who work in the local area, will be very, very aware of Nicola's description, of this case, of all the publicity that's been generated and will be looking out in those wider areas. Thank you.

She also emphasised again:
It is 12 days since Nicola's been missing, and clearly a 15 kilometre stretch of the river is a complex, difficult and moving body of water to search. I do believe that we will find Nicola, but nature is a powerful force, changes our parameters constantly,

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more! I don't think any less of NB from what we know of her. I do, however, think a LOT less of MSM and some folks in this country....
To me it’s really something that an apparent problem with a perfectly legal drug that Nicola was old enough to buy and consume, which many people struggle with, with no suggestion of arrests or visits from social services, but simply a welfare check — which I interpret as being because people were worried about NB — is framed as “a reputation trashed.”

We really think that about people with addiction (as I say, to something legal so in fact no laws were broken by the looks of it on top of everything else), in 2023… do we?! I don’t think “we” do, Kay Burley.

Don't you think it would be rather obvious to the recovery team whether the body has been in the water for weeks or only recently put there?

Surely we should wait for confirmation of known facts.

Plus reporters on the ground have constantly been telling us that the River Wyre has been inundated with sight seers and ' ghouls' walking the river banks. One reporter said it was like ' Blackpool Prom' at one stage

tbc I mean that, with so many sightseers (& some well-intentioned folks) walking the riverbanks, I doubt that if NB had been in that spot for 3 weeks, she would have been missed by every one of them

Last edited:
Another ' talking head' on the radio this morning said that LP had engaged in ' victim-blaming'

Regardless of the wisdom of LP succumbing to pressure & doing that U turn on releasing the specific ' vulnerabilities' there's also massive confusion out there on what ' victim-blaming' actually is.

Another ' talking head' on the radio this morning said that LP had engaged in ' victim-blaming'

Regardless of the wisdom of LP succumbing to pressure & doing that U turn on releasing the specific ' vulnerabilities' there's also massive confusion out there on what ' victim-blaming' actually is.
Well, quite. NB does not seem to have been a victim, and the medical issues may have contributed to her death. So basically neither limb of “victim-blaming” made out at all…

What I found interesting from the Maitlis/Goodall coverage late last week is there is now going to be a huge fallout from what was always a relatively mundane case. Tragic yes. But person goes in river, takes weeks before they can be found is a very common scenario and numerous examples were posted here.

It is pretty clear much of the criticism of police was based on misunderstandings or lack of knowledge of what had been done, or simply professional disagreements. There was a lot of irresponsible reporting, before we even get to social media.

The problem with all of that is we now have the suggestion that police, in an attempt to cover themselves, then released information that ought not to have been released, and at a time where public confidence in police capability to handle these kinds of cases is at rock bottom post Sarah Everard.

Unfortunately a local tragedy was elevated into a national psychodrama and i suspect no valuable self reflection will come from it.

I think that's unfair , I'm confident the divers and searchers worked tirelessly and exhausted all there efforts. Praise to them I say. I cannot comprehend how one would begin to search a huge mass of water for a body it baffles me. The police did say the river was very complex and wasn't going to be easy. They were correct.
Absolutely. They do a difficult job and they, along with PF, went all-out to try and find NB. I won't criticise either of them - they were trying to find NB, I wasn't, so therefore even if PF is a bit over-exposed in the media at the moment, then no criticism of their work in the river is appropriate from me.

Well, quite. NB does not seem to have been a victim, and the medical issues may have contributed to her death. So basically neither limb of “victim-blaming” made out at all…
due to problem of leading opinion-shapers trying to shoe-horn a likely misper case into a true crime type case?

££££

edited to add.
Jan 29th is the first date I can find, for when the NB case first hits national press. It's before a lot of the later narratives were set ( Although they do use the word ' vanishes' rather than the less sensational ' missing')

Last edited:
Given this guy has no idea what the facts are then I think he should stop offering his opinion for now. Perhaps Nicola walked a mile or so further, perhaps she didn’t. The fact is she went into the river she was walking alongside and probably the morning she went missing — but the police will be able to tell if any big time difference versus when she went missing from the condition of the body.
I agree, it’s time for him to bow out of the spotlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks