Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, she must have drifted. I recall in an earlier press conference it was said that they had experienced officers searching next to the river and the banks daily. Surely they would have found her after multiple searches, unless they weren't going that far with the external searches?
Tbh I’m still surprised, was only within a mile. if they only searched the land next to the river I can see how they would miss her being under the trees but that doesn’t excuse the in water searching or not searching the obvious prominent points on the margins like overhanging trees and underwater roots. Quite surprised all in all but it’s much more likely she drifted. Maybe them searching more than that mile means they couldn’t search very extensively any one area. Only three weeks of limited light as well.

If there's a presser today I expect that there will be a formal identification of NB mentioned and a plea for people to step back and respect the family. JMO.

Hmm. I think in their place I’d just put out a brief written statement - transparency and engagement haven’t done them many favours to date.

Last edited:
Tbh I’m still surprised, was only within a mile. if they only searched the land next to the river I can see how they would miss her being under the trees but that doesn’t excuse the in water searching or not searching the obvious prominent points on the margins like overhanging trees and underwater roots. Quite surprised all in all but it’s much more likely she drifted. Maybe them searching more than that mile means they couldn’t search very extensively any one area. Only three weeks of limited light as well.
They probably didn't concentrate on the anglers deep hole area. Maybe it was disregarded as some sort of mythical story rather than a place where there was unusually deep water.

If you have a mile to search you can't concentrate too much on a 15ft section.

No matter where, or how often, an area of tidal water is searched, unless one is in the same location as the body, it will not be found. By the very nature of the beast, it will move up and down until the mechanics of decomposition allow it to float.

Don't the police usually say along the lines of " a body has been found, presumed to be of _______, subject to formal identification"
Yes, they sometimes do.

LP stated after the finding of the body that the family 'have been informed of developments and our thoughts are with them at this most difficult of times'.

If you know what you are reading, which is effectively in plain sight, but legally veiled, that translates as, the body is Nicola Bulley. But due to technical legal reasons, until the formal identification has been made, they aren't going to be making any further assumptive statement errors after all the criticisms. They are waiting for the formal identification.

“Nicola Bulley cops to give major update ‘within hours’”

- no time announced yet.

Yes, they sometimes do.

LP stated after the finding of the body that the family 'have been informed of developments and our thoughts are with them at this most difficult of times'.

If you know what you are reading, which is effectively in plain sight, but legally veiled, that translates as, the body is Nicola Bulley. But due to technical legal reasons, until the formal identification has been made, they aren't going to be making any further assumptive statement errors after all the criticisms. They are waiting for the formal identification.
I agree.

Plus wording such as “police searching for missing mum NB have recovered a body” etc. It’s there, but formal ID is needed.

I completely agree. I think most people (including LE) are riding off the fact that she was visited by LE and medical professionals in the weeks before, and to assume that this is suicide without looking at every other possibility is wrong IMO. The two things can coexist. She may have been deeply suicidal and also have been the victim of a crime or just a plain accident. Not everyone that is suicidal carries it through - in fact, very few do.

It is troubling that the area has not been cordoned off and sifted through with a fine tooth comb. I would have expected this area to be closed off for the next 24 hours plus at the very least. But they didn’t even cordon or examine the bench so I’m honestly not surprised -
Just thought I’d clarify. I am if the opinion NB had a medical episode and slipped or it is suicide.

However, the reason the police are under fire is because it doesn’t appear there may be any other scenario. It is not usual that the possibility of a crime taking place is overlooked. Hence they’re getting it in the neck from SM and some MSM.

JMO
I think the police are under fire because of the amount of people this case drew attention to.
The responses to this case just show human nature-albeit the bad side, or ignorant side.
This would have come and gone like any other MP cases that nobodys really heard of otherwise.

If anyone wants an excellent - if rather academic - deep consideration of what happens to bodies in water and where they are likely to be found I recommend this lecture from Gresham College Oxford by Professor Carolyn Roberts. Bear with it. It is interesting. I think anyway IMO…
- ‘ A Body in a River’
Thank you for sharing this video. It’s an excellent and very clear account, in lay terms, of the complexities of of what happens to bodies in water. It explains why is it plausible that the body hadn’t been found before, despite extensive searching.

Last edited:
I can't help but think that if the initial, probably local, news story of NB's disappearance had read 'Local vulnerable woman, 45, missing in St. Michael's on the Wyre. Police call for witnesses' it would have been a very different, quieter story, still with the same sad outcome but a lot easier for the police and ultimately the family.

I wonder how (if at all) the hysteria over this case will affect policing of missing persons in the future?
BBM - I'm not sure what they could have done differently? They ascertained the most likely thing was a (likely accidental) fall into the water. They checked witnesses and CCTV and car cam footage etc for possible signs of NB leaving the area any other way than the river or signs of an abduction. They've talked with family and friends about health and state of mind, and tried to find out if anything else was happening in her life.

It didn't make any major difference to calls to locals who might have been in the vicinity, or people driving through the area, on that morning to know anything about her other than general description and to report anything 'odd' or unexpected that was observed that morning.

What else could police have done to prevent the hysteria? Found her body sooner? That would have helped, but I don't think the time delay was for want of trying or for want of keeping an open mind as to what may have happened.

You can't fully control the public opinions and sometimes the more you try, the more it backfires.

I think the 'hysteria' aspect is more about the social context of our times with social media and hyper-awareness of crimes against women, and opportunities for huge numbers of people to get together online to discuss things that have a 'mysterious' aspect to them. I also don't think there's anything new in the huamn desire for police to produce results 'pronto' and a fear that if there aren't immediate results that that could indicate failings or shoddy work.

I agree that filming public servants acting in the line of duty can be a powerful tool in holding them to account. Not trying to 'defend' the person behind the camera here, but I was relieved to see that they stopped filming/edited footage out whilst the divers were placing the body into the orange body bag - at least they had the decency to do that, thankfully.
Again, not defending the cameraman, but filming did show the removal process and allow it to be witnessed and scrutinised. Far be it from me to criticise - it's a horrible 'job', and they have my utmost respect for being capable of handling something so harrowing - but is anyone else shocked by the methods used, the way the discovery scene was not preserved in any meaningful way, and how few personnel were involved? I'm astonished, and not in a good way.
I am in complete agreement with you

When NB’s family made their statement about her after the LP released details of her vulnerabilities, they mentioned that she stopped HRT as it caused headaches. I can’t remember the exact words (and don’t know how to link their statement, so apologies for this).

JMO but maybe the headaches were actually caused by something else, such as mini stroke/blood clot, or triggered/worsened something else which resulted in a medical episode at the side of the river, causing her to fall in. This is MOO.

So desperately sad. My hope now is that her family and friends will get the peace and privacy needed to grieve and begin to rebuild their broken hearts.
BBM, I agree that that might be a possibility. Hopefully anything like that would show up in the post mortem.

After watching some links thoughtfully provided by other posters (the Professor explaining how bodies move in water and the film of a high tide coming into the River), I suspect she was actually farther down the river and washed back towards St Michaels by the high tide.

Last edited:
No matter where, or how often, an area of tidal water is searched, unless one is in the same location as the body, it will not be found. By the very nature of the beast, it will move up and down until the mechanics of decomposition allow it to float.
Rest easy, Beautiful Lady. R.I.P. Nicola.

Am sending prayers and strength to her extended family and friends.

So Sad.

I can't help but think that if the initial, probably local, news story of NB's disappearance had read 'Local vulnerable woman, 45, missing in St. Michael's on the Wyre. Police call for witnesses' it would have been a very different, quieter story, still with the same sad outcome but a lot easier for the police and ultimately the family.

I wonder how (if at all) the hysteria over this case will affect policing of missing persons in the future?

I do agree, I think that headline might not have gained such traction, but it probably would have given the combination of her being a mum having just dropped off the kids, walking her dog, being on a TEAMS call, emailing her boss, arranging a spa and playdates - a situation many could imagine themselves in/relate to, then suddenly it became a mystery with the phone left on the bench, the harness left, the dog, plus the 'abandoned house' and the 'caravan park' - whereas if she had left the house on her own one evening, knowing she was 'vulnerable', people would definitely just have assumed she had purposely disappeared.

Last edited:

Does anyone know how long identification normally takes? Thanks
I'm hoping they will announce it today. I can't think of a reason why it would be delayed any longer than a day or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks