CANADA Canada - Billionaire Couple Barry & Honey Sherman Murdered @ Home - Toronto #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Old news, but some stuff I never knew.

Feb 20 2023 Lengthy rbbm.
''The series features people who knew the Shermans well, and even the words of Barry himself, read by actor Saul Rubinek. While the crime remains unsolved, the series explores different theories around their deaths and offers listeners a chance to come to their own conclusions.

Goldhar spoke with CBC Podcasts about the podcast. Here's part of that conversation.

This case was in the news five years ago and it was well-covered. Why did you decide to investigate it now in this podcast?

KG:
It was in the news five years ago, but it really has never left the news, right?

People are fascinated by this couple and their deaths. I mean, they are billionaires. People are always curious and fascinated by wealthy people. That's why the TV show Succession is so interesting, right?

We knew it was coming up on the five year anniversary. The police are nowhere closer to finding out what happened to this couple than they were that day that they died ... and I think as a journalist who's interested in public good, having a police investigation that hasn't figured this out is important to shine some light on.

But also, just as somebody who lives in the city, who's in the Jewish community, who is also fascinated by wealth, I'm fascinated by how their family has fallen apart and what it means to have that kind of money. And then when you die, there are so many potential suspects. What kind of life do you have to have lived that that many people could've wanted you dead?

Barry Sherman — it seems like there's more to him than what meets the eye. Throughout this production, what have you learned about him that really surprised you?

KG:
Barry got caught up in things. He got punished by the FDA in the U.S. and things like that for problems within his company. The generic drug world is this fascinating underworld, where there's billions of dollars, and then you come up against Big Pharma, which is trillions of dollars. So that was really interesting, just to sort of better understand what he did, but also just how important generic drugs were. You cannot take away that generic drugs saved people all around the world. ''

''I also didn't realize just how antisocial he was and how much of the social world that they lived in was driven by Honey. And I didn't know how obsessive he was over his business and how a lot of people say that his family relations, his friendships went by the wayside. Nothing was more important than the business and I find that interesting. He was a savant. He was an incredibly smart man ... but maybe to his detriment.

Barry was more well known — he did make all the money — but Honey was her own person and there really wasn't enough on Honey. And we did a whole episode on Honey as best we could … but Honey seems to be diminished in a lot of this. And I don't think that's particularly fair. I think there is a gendered-ness that goes into why that's the case. ''

Regarding the CBC podcast. Some of the details are at odds with what the Star has reported and what the police have said.

They said the date and time of the deaths are unknown, but that’s incorrect: the police have said they died on Wednesday, December 13th some time between 9:00 pm - 12:00 am.

I’m confused by the maintenance man they introduce in the first episode. He described working in the home on the morning of Friday, December 15th in the room next to the pool, and how looking through the glass block wall the pool area appeared dark.

The only way he could see that would be from the garage which shared that glass wall with the pool, but why would he be in the garage? He first said he walked downstairs, and in court records it states he walked in after the housekeeper, so that would be the side door. (Highlighted in yellow are the glass block walls. The utility room where the CBC reported he was working is circled in blue):

ECA8ADDE-26D2-48F7-BCA2-920E63A603C8.jpeg
Floor plan from: https://media.houssmax.ca/201711/29/5a1f32afd3797.pdf

Toronto Life previously reported that room was Honey’s office at one point, so it doesn’t sound like a mechanical room unless it was converted into one after the date of that article, imo.

The Star previously reported that it was a furnace technician who was there to do routine maintenance on the four furnaces. They are far from the poolroom. I circled that room in red in the diagram above.

“Around the same time, a white van from a furnace company showed up. It was a regular service call by Allan Caruk. The 12,000-square-foot house had four furnaces. Caruk followed the housekeeper and trainer inside. He took his tools and went down to the furnace room in the cavernous basement.

The house was dark inside. No lights were on and it was a gloomy day; snow had fallen overnight. Trainer Young wondered if the Shermans had left early for Florida, though Honey was not scheduled to leave until the Monday. Housekeeper Macatangay went upstairs to see if the Shermans were in bed…

..The trainer left. The furnace repair man came upstairs after an hour and also left. As is often the case in search warrant documents made public, some of his statements are redacted with large black lines. As the man walked to his van he spotted frozen footprints on the partially heated ramp to the underground garage. They looked old, he thought.”

In the podcast he also said doors and lights were left open in the basement, but the housekeeper and real estate agent said the house was completely dark except for the glow of the pool lights.

ETA: There is a room you enter just before the actual pool room, but I don’t think he means that room as he said he hadn’t done maintenance on the pool recent to that last day as the pool was unused.

Last edited:
Regarding the CBC podcast. Some of the details are at odds with what the Star has reported and what the police have said.

They said the date and time of the deaths are unknown, but that’s incorrect: the police have said they died on Wednesday, December 13th some time between 9:00 pm - 12:00 am.

I’m confused by the maintenance man they introduce in the first episode. He described working in the home on the morning of Friday, December 15th in the room next to the pool, and how looking through the glass block wall the pool area appeared dark.

The only way he could see that would be from the garage which shared that glass wall with the pool, but why would he be in the garage? He first said he walked downstairs, and in court records it states he walked in after the housekeeper, so that would be the side door. (Highlighted in yellow are the glass block walls. The utility room where the CBC reported he was working is circled in blue):

View attachment 404275

Toronto Life previously reported that room was Honey’s office at one point, so it doesn’t sound like a mechanical room unless it was converted into one after the date of that article, imo.

The Star previously reported that it was a furnace technician who was there to do routine maintenance on the four furnaces. They are far from the poolroom. I circled that room in red in the diagram above.

“Around the same time, a white van from a furnace company showed up. It was a regular service call by Allan Caruk. The 12,000-square-foot house had four furnaces. Caruk followed the housekeeper and trainer inside. He took his tools and went down to the furnace room in the cavernous basement.

The house was dark inside. No lights were on and it was a gloomy day; snow had fallen overnight. Trainer Young wondered if the Shermans had left early for Florida, though Honey was not scheduled to leave until the Monday. Housekeeper Macatangay went upstairs to see if the Shermans were in bed…

..The trainer left. The furnace repair man came upstairs after an hour and also left. As is often the case in search warrant documents made public, some of his statements are redacted with large black lines. As the man walked to his van he spotted frozen footprints on the partially heated ramp to the underground garage. They looked old, he thought.”

In the podcast he also said doors and lights were left open in the basement, but the housekeeper and real estate agent said the house was completely dark except for the glow of the pool lights.

ETA: There is a room you enter just before the actual pool room, but I don’t think he means that room as he said he hadn’t done maintenance on the pool recent to that last day as the pool was unused.
I have not had time to listen to the podcast

View attachment 404275

I have not had time to listen to the CBC podcast yet. I am pretty sure the lights down in the basement were off.
I remember a long time ago there was something regarding the real estate agent being annoyed that the lights were not on down there.
I think there was an agreement that the basement lights would be left on while the house was on the market. Especially if there was no one at home when there was a showing. Agent would have to run all over the house to put lights on. Keeping the basement light on would help.
Also the furnace room is far from the pool area.
I think going down the stairs in the Foyer would be closer to the furnace room.
The spiral staircase is closer to the garage entry and hall leading to the pool.
If the furnace man went into the garage, ( maybe there was some equipment in there),then he would have walked past/over Barry’s belongings that were on the floor.
I don’t remember ever hearing that from anyone.

View attachment 404275

Sorry to quote my own post, but I just wanted to add to it.

I can’t provide a quote, but the CBC is standing by what was said in their podcast. I have to say it’s imo unless they say something publicly. (Or the Star writes something.) It’s important, imo, because the setting details change and there’s now a person who was working right by the pool area before the bodies were discovered.

It’s new information from the CBC about where a Friday morning maintenance person was working and what he saw: he said the lights were on in the basement except for the pool room. He said he looked through the glass block wall from the garage and said the room was dark. No mention of seeing the report, gloves, phone or Barry’s car.

He said he worked in a room directly beside the pool room.

I don’t know if it’s the furnace repairman with a different story or someone completely different that the Star has never mentioned, because the CBC doesn’t name him (the Star has named the furnace repairman).

View attachment 404275

I had been thinking up until this minute, that the pic posted of the floorplan with the blue circle, was published by CBC to go with their podcast. But I don't see it anywhere.. so is this blue circle one which you drew yourself?

I had been thinking up until this minute, that the pic posted of the floorplan with the blue circle, was published by CBC to go with their podcast. But I don't see it anywhere.. so is this blue circle one which you drew yourself?
Yes, the floor plan is from the link I provided from houssmax. I marked it up.

Yes, the floor plan is from the link I provided from houssmax. I marked it up.
Sorry, I had been thinking that is where this repairman had actually pointed out to CBC where he'd been working. But that room isn't 'next' to the pool room, it's 'across', and 'kitty'corner', and also separated by a hallway, and the glass blocks in the garage would not have been visible from that room, as they were between the garage and where the pool was located. It's possible he was working in that room, however one can't see anything about the glass block in the garage/pool room from there.

If what he said is to be taken literally, and he was 'next' to the poolroom, he'd have to be in that section OF the pool room itself (I believe sectioned off with sliding glass doors?), or in the garage itself.

I don't recall that specific room ever being said to have been Honey's office at one time, but on the floorplan it says 'utility room', and that whole section of rooms along that hallway, up to the doorway leading to the spiral staircase, is pool-related... so I'm assuming that room is where the pool filter, pump, heater, chlorinator/brominator(if any?), electrical for any pool lighting, vacuum apparatus, etc., would have been housed. jmo, but makes sense if the rest of the pool-related things are all along that portion of the hallway, right near the pool........

I think that repairman was always said (by KD) to have been a furnace repairman, but I suppose that could've meant the 'pool furnace/heater', rather than the home's four furnaces? And then it would make sense if he had not been there to service the pool in a long time.. but yet it was said he was making a 'regular service call', IIRC? Going to have to look some stuff up and come back to this! Very strange.

2020 rbbm
'''Macatangay collected the paper, and the mail, and she and the trainer walked to the side door. It was locked. Macatangay used her key and was surprised to find the alarm system was off. As she later told police, it was always armed when she arrived. Honey’s aging gold Lexus SUV was in its regular spot by the side door.

Around the same time, a white van from a furnace company showed up. It was a regular service call by Allan Caruk. The 12,000-square-foot house had four furnaces. Caruk followed the housekeeper and trainer inside. He took his tools and went down to the furnace room in the cavernous basement.

The house was dark inside. No lights were on
and it was a gloomy day; snow had fallen overnight.''

''The trainer left. The furnace repair man came upstairs after an hour and also left. As is often the case in search warrant documents made public, some of his statements are redacted with large black lines. As the man walked to his van he spotted frozen footprints on the partially heated ramp to the underground garage. They looked old, he thought.''

''In a rare situation for the Shermans, nobody is expected at the house that day. No real estate showings, no workers, Sheila Stanley, Honey’s assistant, was given days off by Honey. There’s a furnace repair man, but he’s not scheduled until Friday.''

Sorry, I had been thinking that is where this repairman had actually pointed out to CBC where he'd been working. But that room isn't 'next' to the pool room, it's 'across', and 'kitty'corner', and also separated by a hallway, and the glass blocks in the garage would not have been visible from that room, as they were between the garage and where the pool was located. It's possible he was working in that room, however one can't see anything about the glass block in the garage/pool room from there.

If what he said is to be taken literally, and he was 'next' to the poolroom, he'd have to be in that section OF the pool room itself (I believe sectioned off with sliding glass doors?), or in the garage itself.

I don't recall that specific room ever being said to have been Honey's office at one time, but on the floorplan it says 'utility room', and that whole section of rooms along that hallway, up to the doorway leading to the spiral staircase, is pool-related... so I'm assuming that room is where the pool filter, pump, heater, chlorinator/brominator(if any?), electrical for any pool lighting, vacuum apparatus, etc., would have been housed. jmo, but makes sense if the rest of the pool-related things are all along that portion of the hallway, right near the pool........

I think that repairman was always said (by KD) to have been a furnace repairman, but I suppose that could've meant the 'pool furnace/heater', rather than the home's four furnaces? And then it would make sense if he had not been there to service the pool in a long time.. but yet it was said he was making a 'regular service call', IIRC? Going to have to look some stuff up and come back to this! Very strange.
@6:16 the host says “a room right beside the indoor pool’. https://www.cbc.ca/listen/cbc-podca...rman/episode/15967367-chapter-one-bitter-pill

They both repeat that in another part.

It’s just my interpretation of what they said. If you look at the floor plans that room was the only one directly beside the pool. There was a sauna and bathroom in that corridor as well. My opinion is that he wasn’t in the pool area, he said he saw it was dark through the glass brick wall from the garage. (Not from the sliding glass door in the pool.) He also said he hadn’t serviced the pool area in years.

I was just surprised that it’s so at odds with what the Star & KD has published.

Maybe the Star and the CBC both have it right. Maybe he did work on the furnaces and went elsewhere to work in the basement.(?)

ETA: B3B76FD3-C437-4CF2-ABEA-39E4347CD36B.jpeg
From: https://media.houssmax.ca/201711/29/5a1f32afd3797.pdf

Last edited:
@6:16 the host says “a room right beside the indoor pool’. https://www.cbc.ca/listen/cbc-podca...rman/episode/15967367-chapter-one-bitter-pill

They both repeat that in another part.

It’s just my interpretation of what they said. If you look at the floor plans that room was the only one directly beside the pool. There was a sauna and bathroom in that corridor as well. My opinion is that he wasn’t in the pool area, he said he saw it was dark through the glass brick wall from the garage. (Not from the sliding glass door in the pool.) He also said he hadn’t serviced the pool area in years.

I was just surprised that it’s so at odds with what the Star & KD has published.

Maybe the Star and the CBC both have it right. Maybe he did work on the furnaces and went elsewhere to work in the basement.(?)

ETA: View attachment 404787
From: https://media.houssmax.ca/201711/29/5a1f32afd3797.pdf
I wonder if this repairman may have forgotten how much farther back the pool was (since he stated he hadn't serviced the pool in years?)? But really, he wouldn't have had a reason to even go through that doorway leading to the spiral staircase. I noticed that this spiral staircase also has a glass block wall between it and the garage.
spiral staircase2.jpg
(above photo from real estate photo spread)

Photos showing Barry's car parked in the garage near the glass block walls (presumably nearest to the door/entrance to the house(?), which would've been the other side of that spiral staircase, imo).
barrys car in garage interior KD 011322.jpgbarrys car in garage KD 011322.jpg
Photos from this article: Barry and Honey Sherman murder detectives learn cellular ‘tower dump’ was a bust

Notice there is also extra detail in how the belt is wrapped onto the railing?
I am not confident either is accurate. In the second version released the belt around HS neck had to be a very large belt, she is almost touching the ground, the belt is around her neck circumference and the hand rail circumference and it had that much length to hang her so low to the ground? that belt must be a extra large belt.

I also note, no more mention of Canadian Tire belts in any of these conversations.

On another note, we learned that the ligature used was a soft texture, 2-3cm, not hard plastic zip ties like we have been assuming for years now. Makes me ask, if no zip ties were thought to be used by at crime scene LE, what was of interest in the sewers out front of the home if they were investigating murder suicide, why search the roof, outside the perimeter and the sewers on the street?

Early in the first few months of hearing reports on this case I had thoughts that the culprit is somehow involved with LE or medical investigations themselves. Either the culprit was really good at setting a stage to fool many people seasoned in their craft, knowing how to not leave 1 piece of "useable" evidence. Or they were very lucky to leave no DNA or evidence, Or even luckier that the housekeeper had already cleaned up any of their mistakes.

I have doubts LE felt 100% about any suicide at all, as the early indications the investigators were all over the home, the roof, the front yard/sewers, these were searched in the first week after they were found, and they looked over the home for 6 weeks, if they felt 100% M/S or even S/S IMO they would have wrapped up the investigation in much less time.

that belt must be a extra large belt.
, therefore they used his?

On another note, we learned that the ligature used was a soft texture, 2-3cm,
In my opinion, the one body bag on the ME's gurney, demonstrated a portly abdomen. Would BS's abdominal girth be described as needing an XL belt. Could the soft ligatures actually be the exercise tension bands?

In my opinion, the one body bag on the ME's gurney, demonstrated a portly abdomen. Would BS's abdominal girth be described as needing an XL belt. Could the soft ligatures actually be the exercise tension bands?
It was stated in one of the article as to what sizes those two Canadian Tire belts were (if they were even the belts actually used).. I believe one was 34 and one was 36... which, imho, would not be long enough to make all those loops, etc. It is obvious to me that the drawing is just to show the reader.. whatever.. but it is not accurate. I base this on KD's own article when he wrote about the belts in relation to the body positioning of each victim.

Also, forgive me for being morbid... but.... as part of human body decomposition, isn't a part of that, that the body fills up with gases? If so, might that account for a body appearing to have a portly abdomen?

Noting one of the more intriguing bits starts approx. @14:38.

Feb 24 2023

''In this bonus episode of “The Billionaire Murders,” we take listeners behind the scenes of reporter Kevin Donovan’s investigation into the murders of Honey and Barry Sherman. Titled “The Clintons Did It?” Donovan discusses some of the wild tips and theories he and police have hunted down, and outlines one tip that sounds promising and right out of a spy novel.

The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman” is a “Suspicion” podcast probing the strange case of the famous Toronto couple who were found strangled in their north Toronto home in 2017. For five years, Donovan has covered the case for the Star, fought court battles to access documents on the police investigation and the Sherman estate, and wrote a book about it.''

Last edited:

Feb 24 2023

''In this bonus episode of “The Billionaire Murders,” we take listeners behind the scenes of reporter Kevin Donovan’s investigation into the murders of Honey and Barry Sherman. Titled “The Clintons Did It?” Donovan discusses some of the wild tips and theories he and police have hunted down, and outlines one tip that sounds promising and right out of a spy novel.

The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman” is a “Suspicion” podcast probing the strange case of the famous Toronto couple who were found strangled in their north Toronto home in 2017. For five years, Donovan has covered the case for the Star, fought court battles to access documents on the police investigation and the Sherman estate, and wrote a book about it.''
Wow $10,000 (presumably USD) for travel exps from somewhere 'warm', up to Buffalo?

Also, forgive me for being morbid... but.... as part of human body decomposition, isn't a part of that, that the body fills up with gases? If so, might that account for a body appearing to have a portly abdomen?
to my understanding, many factors play a scientific role in this development, but isnt length of death the greater contributor?

Feb 24 2023

I cant believe this article was even written, whatttt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member