CANADA Canada - Billionaire Couple Barry & Honey Sherman Murdered @ Home - Toronto #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is 100% my opinion only.

May be HS felt while BS was alive she did not need a will. She knew she was taken care of if anything happened to BS, if she went first she knew BS would still be in control.

HS had no income and possibly BS claimed her as a dependent. Any and all businesses that HS was titled on were most likely funded and the ultimate responsibility of Sherfam or BS.

Why a service provider would make up a story about HS mentioning she updated her will I do not know, so I take it as possibly some truth in the detail. If so was this just a draft, for when she received her gifted hundreds of millions from BS, that the will was not yet complete and duly signed and witnessed?

The timing of HS potentially updating a will ( most of us think to add a grand child - sounds so logical ) with her expected gift of millions and a new home to be built with her name on the deed, then add on BS changing the way he gave out $$ I still think someone wanted to keep things the way they were and the only way was to remove these two who were changing their habits and now were spending money on HS wants.
IIRC, HS also had income properties owned together with her sister - not sure if owned under a separate corporation (likely) or under their own names, or the type of ownership.. but in any case, it is difficult to believe that HS would not have wanted to ensure her sister was looked after in the event of H's unexpected death. Could H guarantee that if she died first before her husband, B would remember to include MS in his will, when MS did not apparently appear in his current will? Perhaps it was just a draft she had made (from Staples or something, like JDG has suggested perhaps?), but not yet signed, because she hadn't yet received that big pot of money she was supposed to be receiving from her husband? I wonder if the 'lawyer appointment' was just to make it seem more relevant to the service provider she was speaking to? ie give her words more clout, when she didn't actually even go to a lawyer? Or perhaps she just went into a different lawyer to obtain independent legal advice on her will/estate? I have prob mentioned before, but someone close to me did exactly that (made their own will) because they were very upset with the lawyer the family had used forever (a personal friend of the spouse's from childhood) and the person refused to have anything to do with him again. It was still a legal document, as long as it is signed and properly witnessed. Was H sick of being 'controlled'? ie she wanted her own funds so she didn't always have to 'ask' for what she wanted. Maybe there was some kind of scheming going on between MS and H? Although H seems too bright to be led astray by her younger sister? Just random thoughts.

If there was an agreement that they ‘never had to pay back money’, why did didn’t he or AP write that in the email chain about repaying the $50-60 million?

You’re probably right about the amount he paid back being lower than the amount owed.
From what I remember, B wasn't presenting it as a 'pay me back' type of thing, he was more presenting it as a 'I need to come up with a pile of cash by a date not too far away, and so I need you to get a bank loan/mortgage so you can give me that amount of cash back, asap, and then in a year (or whatever he had said), I should be good to start the money flow again'. That was my interpretation. But personally, I think it was because B had caught onto something a bit fishy and was bringing it to a head, under the guise of just regular stuff. jmo. It would have been interesting to have seen where that all went, in the event B had NOT been murdered. imo.

If there was an agreement that they ‘never had to pay back money’, why did didn’t he or AP write that in the email chain about repaying the $50-60 million?

You’re probably right about the amount he paid back being lower than the amount owed.
Totally agree, why not add that detail when he first told the media? However, I think he paid back in full. The debt was to the Sherfam company and this company is still operating as far as I know, again IMO the return of 50-60 mil had nothing to do with Apotex or any money that Apotex may be in debt for.

BS created Sherfam so the money was separate and private and under his complete control, without all of the regulations he must follow in the generic drug market. So again IMO the fact that it was JS bringing this information to the media that his father needed the 50 mil back to pay an Apotex upcoming bill. To me that makes no sense at all, Apotex profits build the Sherfam money tree but I do not believe the money would ever flow back to Apotex for any reason? Tax night mare I would think.

One last nagging item is how BS is viewed as a person who chose litigation and courts to decide his business and how people disliked him for this. I was reminded in a TV interview (W5 or something like that) that BS/Apotex had no choice, if they wanted to create and sell a generic drug, Canadian law states you must sue/challenge for the right to do so. This was never BS choice to litigate but if he wanted to grow his business he had to be aggressive, it was the only way he was permitted to do business in Canada. IMO he got good at it and found it an easy way to deal with anything that did not sit well with him. He was highly intellectual and as recent podcasts have shared he was an introvert, non emotional and all about his business not much else interested him.

Oops ok last thought, the talk about BS receiving back 90% of what he paid to build Old Colony Rd home, I would expect that the money was used to fix these issues. If the work and design was as bad as he litigated and won, the home must have been in need of some heavy repairs for them to live there another 20+ years. I do not see that win as a $$ windfall for them.

From what I remember, B wasn't presenting it as a 'pay me back' type of thing, he was more presenting it as a 'I need to come up with a pile of cash by a date not too far away, and so I need you to get a bank loan/mortgage so you can give me that amount of cash back, asap, and then in a year (or whatever he had said), I should be good to start the money flow again'. That was my interpretation. But personally, I think it was because B had caught onto something a bit fishy and was bringing it to a head, under the guise of just regular stuff. jmo. It would have been interesting to have seen where that all went, in the event B had NOT been murdered. imo.
I was thinking it was JS that share the pay me back story and details, I am not sure we have proof that BS did so as JS describes. I think JS was concerned this detail would leak to the press and he wanted to get control of the narrative. He knows LE will not correct false information if it is not impeding their case.

Your personal thought is one I have had often as well.

fwiw rbbm
''New York, Feb. 08, 2023 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Reportlinker.com announces the release of the report "Generic Pharmaceuticals Global Market Report 2023" - https://www.reportlinker.com/p06241838/?utm_source=GNW

The global generic pharmaceuticals market is expected to grow from $302.39 billion in 2021 to $332.43 billion in 2022 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 9.9%. The Russia-Ukraine war disrupted the chances of global economic recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic, at least in the short term. The war between these two countries has led to economic sanctions on multiple countries, surge in commodity prices, and supply chain disruptions, causing inflation across goods and services effecting many markets across the globe. The generic pharmaceuticals market is expected to reach $426.30 billion in 2026 at a CAGR of 6.4%.''

''North America was the largest region in the generic pharmaceuticals market in 2022.Middle East is expected to be the fastest growing region in the forecast period.

The regions covered in the generic pharmaceuticals market report are Asia-Pacific, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, North America, South America, Middle East and Africa.''

fwiw rbbm
''New York, Feb. 08, 2023 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Reportlinker.com announces the release of the report "Generic Pharmaceuticals Global Market Report 2023" - https://www.reportlinker.com/p06241838/?utm_source=GNW

The global generic pharmaceuticals market is expected to grow from $302.39 billion in 2021 to $332.43 billion in 2022 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 9.9%. The Russia-Ukraine war disrupted the chances of global economic recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic, at least in the short term. The war between these two countries has led to economic sanctions on multiple countries, surge in commodity prices, and supply chain disruptions, causing inflation across goods and services effecting many markets across the globe. The generic pharmaceuticals market is expected to reach $426.30 billion in 2026 at a CAGR of 6.4%.''

''North America was the largest region in the generic pharmaceuticals market in 2022.Middle East is expected to be the fastest growing region in the forecast period.

The regions covered in the generic pharmaceuticals market report are Asia-Pacific, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, North America, South America, Middle East and Africa.''
Too bad they were/are in such a hurry to dispose of Apo, seems the beneficiaries could be substantially growing their wealth by allowing it to run for the next few years?

I was thinking it was JS that share the pay me back story and details, I am not sure we have proof that BS did so as JS describes. I think JS was concerned this detail would leak to the press and he wanted to get control of the narrative. He knows LE will not correct false information if it is not impeding their case.

Your personal thought is one I have had often as well.
According to KD, there are emails proving the 'need cash, get a regular bank mortgage' details. IIRC, I think KD may have suspected there was something missing from the chain of emails, however, which JS denied. moo.

Leading up to the interview, [JS] forwarded a series of emails he exchanged with his father in the six months before the killings. He said the chain begins in July because that is when it became clear Apotex might have to pay out the massive judgment.

On July 27, 2017, Barry writes to [JS] and [AP]: “We are presently unsure what are (sic) liquidity situation will be over the next six months so I am reluctant to have (the family holding company) Sherfam advance more to you in the short term.” Barry adds that [JS] and [AP] should consider borrowing from banks.
On Nov. 16, Barry writes to [JS] and [AP], copying [AG], Sherfam’s chief financial officer. Subject line: Arranging mortgages. “We might have to pay the 580 million judgment in January,” Barry writes. “We thus need to take steps to improve liquidity, in case needed. I thus request that you discuss with [AG] and arrange first mortgages to enable repaying 50-60 million to (Sherfam) if possible. Please do within weeks.” Barry adds, “I am certain we will be able to advance further substantial funds to you, if wanted for further investments, beginning in 2019.”
On Nov. 28, ...[AP] writes to [AG], copying Barry and [JS]. ...“Please see attached a breakdown of our immediate cash needs. Barry has agreed to cover us with these needs.” [AP] and [JS] were requesting $6.2 million by Dec. 15 and another unspecified amount “no later than Jan. 15.”...

Three minutes later, Barry writes back: “[AP]: As discussed, you have to take steps immediately to arrange mortgages (to repay the $50-60 million). What will you do and when?”

According to KD, there are emails proving the 'need cash, get a regular bank mortgage' details. IIRC, I think KD may have suspected there was something missing from the chain of emails, however, which JS denied. moo.

Leading up to the interview, [JS] forwarded a series of emails he exchanged with his father in the six months before the killings. He said the chain begins in July because that is when it became clear Apotex might have to pay out the massive judgment.

On July 27, 2017, Barry writes to [JS] and [AP]: “We are presently unsure what are (sic) liquidity situation will be over the next six months so I am reluctant to have (the family holding company) Sherfam advance more to you in the short term.” Barry adds that [JS] and [AP] should consider borrowing from banks.
On Nov. 16, Barry writes to [JS] and [AP], copying [AG], Sherfam’s chief financial officer. Subject line: Arranging mortgages. “We might have to pay the 580 million judgment in January,” Barry writes. “We thus need to take steps to improve liquidity, in case needed. I thus request that you discuss with [AG] and arrange first mortgages to enable repaying 50-60 million to (Sherfam) if possible. Please do within weeks.” Barry adds, “I am certain we will be able to advance further substantial funds to you, if wanted for further investments, beginning in 2019.”
On Nov. 28, ...[AP] writes to [AG], copying Barry and [JS]. ...“Please see attached a breakdown of our immediate cash needs. Barry has agreed to cover us with these needs.” [AP] and [JS] were requesting $6.2 million by Dec. 15 and another unspecified amount “no later than Jan. 15.”...

Three minutes later, Barry writes back: “[AP]: As discussed, you have to take steps immediately to arrange mortgages (to repay the $50-60 million). What will you do and when?”

Well I am way off then, if BS really would ask for 50 to 60 million (not the higher value 60 mil but 50 to 60 mil, makes no sense to me to give a range if you need 580 million), again if BS really needed Sherfam money for Apotex business loss would he not ask for the full Monty of 125 million they had? JS said he had not spent it all so why not give that back? I interpret this as teaching these two a lesson.

Well I am way off then, if BS really would ask for 50 to 60 million (not the higher value 60 mil but 50 to 60 mil, makes no sense to me to give a range if you need 580 million), again if BS really needed Sherfam money for Apotex business loss would he not ask for the full Monty of 125 million they had? JS said he had not spent it all so why not give that back? I interpret this as teaching these two a lesson.
Wasn't their new mansion going to cost at least 30 million dollars for starters?

2020 rbbm lengthy article re post
'' Yet she loved a new project and with her sister and best friend Mary Shechtman, she conceived of the idea to leave Old Colony and build a mansion in Toronto’s posh Forest Hill neighbourhood. ''

''Barry, friends say, wanted Honey to be happy and grudgingly agreed to change his commute home, which when they moved would involve more internal Toronto streets.''

For Honey, this was part of an ongoing effort to have more say in the financial affairs of the family. As the Star has previously reported, Barry was planning to give her a significant amount of money she could call her own, and at the same time he was contemplating giving much of his fortune to charity. Neither plans had been put into effect at the time of the murders.''

In fact, Honey and sister Mary (funded by the billions Barry had made in the generic drug industry) initially purchased another property in Forest Hill. When it was deemed too small for the planned construction, 91 Old Forest Hill Road was purchased from the family of the late Abraham J. Green, a noted builder and philanthropist. The house on the property was knocked down and the site was prepared for construction. In a rare case of Honey Sherman being listed as the owner of property (it was typically Barry or a company, either named or numbered) land registry records show Honey as the purchaser of 91 Old Forest Hill Road in November 2016.

''Sources close to the planning of the new home, including members of the Sherman family, have told the Star that one source of tension was the rising cost of the build as Honey added in more features and Barry worked to negotiate the cost downwards. Total cost for 91 Old Forest Hill Road was estimated to be $30 million, including the land purchase and the home itself.''

Totally agree, why not add that detail when he first told the media? However, I think he paid back in full. The debt was to the Sherfam company and this company is still operating as far as I know, again IMO the return of 50-60 mil had nothing to do with Apotex or any money that Apotex may be in debt for.

BS created Sherfam so the money was separate and private and under his complete control, without all of the regulations he must follow in the generic drug market. So again IMO the fact that it was JS bringing this information to the media that his father needed the 50 mil back to pay an Apotex upcoming bill. To me that makes no sense at all, Apotex profits build the Sherfam money tree but I do not believe the money would ever flow back to Apotex for any reason? Tax night mare I would think.

One last nagging item is how BS is viewed as a person who chose litigation and courts to decide his business and how people disliked him for this. I was reminded in a TV interview (W5 or something like that) that BS/Apotex had no choice, if they wanted to create and sell a generic drug, Canadian law states you must sue/challenge for the right to do so. This was never BS choice to litigate but if he wanted to grow his business he had to be aggressive, it was the only way he was permitted to do business in Canada. IMO he got good at it and found it an easy way to deal with anything that did not sit well with him. He was highly intellectual and as recent podcasts have shared he was an introvert, non emotional and all about his business not much else interested him.

Oops ok last thought, the talk about BS receiving back 90% of what he paid to build Old Colony Rd home, I would expect that the money was used to fix these issues. If the work and design was as bad as he litigated and won, the home must have been in need of some heavy repairs for them to live there another 20+ years. I do not see that win as a $$ windfall for them.
The money was to repaid to Sherfam, and then presumably loaned to Apotex. This would be a standard corporate transaction, i don’t see anything strange about it.
lititation was only required if Apotex challenged a brand products patent before the patent expired. Typically these Challenges would result from a potential error in the registration of the patent or some error in recording the chemical reaction of the underlying molecules. If a patent expires, the generic company can immediately market a generic version with no litigation required. Barry often challenged patents, hence the litigation.

2020 rbbm lengthy article re post
'' Yet she loved a new project and with her sister and best friend Mary Shechtman, she conceived of the idea to leave Old Colony and build a mansion in Toronto’s posh Forest Hill neighbourhood. ''

''Barry, friends say, wanted Honey to be happy and grudgingly agreed to change his commute home, which when they moved would involve more internal Toronto streets.''

For Honey, this was part of an ongoing effort to have more say in the financial affairs of the family. As the Star has previously reported, Barry was planning to give her a significant amount of money she could call her own, and at the same time he was contemplating giving much of his fortune to charity. Neither plans had been put into effect at the time of the murders.''

In fact, Honey and sister Mary (funded by the billions Barry had made in the generic drug industry) initially purchased another property in Forest Hill. When it was deemed too small for the planned construction, 91 Old Forest Hill Road was purchased from the family of the late Abraham J. Green, a noted builder and philanthropist. The house on the property was knocked down and the site was prepared for construction. In a rare case of Honey Sherman being listed as the owner of property (it was typically Barry or a company, either named or numbered) land registry records show Honey as the purchaser of 91 Old Forest Hill Road in November 2016.

''Sources close to the planning of the new home, including members of the Sherman family, have told the Star that one source of tension was the rising cost of the build as Honey added in more features and Barry worked to negotiate the cost downwards. Total cost for 91 Old Forest Hill Road was estimated to be $30 million, including the land purchase and the home itself.''
The Old Forest Hill Rd. property was transferred to Honey for $0 in 2016 from Abraham J. Green Ltd. The property was once owned by another prominent couple in philanthropic circles and the Jewish community, the late Al and Malka Green. Honey and Malka were both directors at the Friends of Simon Wiesenthal Center for Holocaust Studies.

Real estate lawyer Mark Weisleder reviewed the property transfer record for the Star, and explained that the Shermans would have paid the provincial and municipal land-transfer taxes directly to the Ministry of Finance and the City of Toronto before the sale closed to avoid having the cost of the property show up on property records.

Some people don’t want the price they paid for their home to be readily available to the public, he said.

I remembered this transfer to Honey for $0, therefore searched for the article.
What I don't unerstand, is: the property was gifted to Honey, but they wanted to avoid having the cost show up on property records?? Doesn't make sense to me atm.

A short distance (6 minutes) from the old Old Colony Rd home, the mansion used in the "Mean Girls'' film is for sale and on sale, curious to know if any of the S clan or those associated with them might be tempted to buy it.
Would the murders and previous break ins in the area affect sales even now?
speculation, imo.
Feb 28 2023
1677684378992.png

Updated: March 6, 2023

Chapter Four: The Winters are Coming
''News of the mysterious deaths of billionaire Canadian pharma giant Barry Sherman and his philanthropist wife Honey in December 2017 reverberated around the world. Five years later, with no arrests and little news from the police, their deaths remain shrouded in mystery and conspiracy theories, with too many lingering questions. Not just who killed them, but what kind of life do you have to live that when you’re found dead, there are multiple theories, including some involving your own family? That’s the question journalist Kathleen Goldhar set out to discover, in The No Good, Terribly Kind, Wonderful Lives and Tragic Deaths of Barry and Honey Sherman, as she explores who the Shermans really were and why too much money might have been what killed them in the end.''

The CBC podcast this week touched on when Dana Winter was charged with murder and Barry flew out to bail him out and obtain a criminal lawyer for him. New to me was that a lawyer asked Barry if he himself was involved in the murder (??!!)

Also new was that it was at that point that Honey wanted to distance herself from the cousins. Previously we heard from Kerry that Honey asked Kerry over to their home to discuss a kitchen remodel and she confronted Kerry about how he was spending the money Barry had lent him, and that was the beginning of the fracture of the relationship.

I posted this before. It’s the background of the murder charges Dana Winter was facing before his death:

Mr. Winter who is charged with first degree murder, and he's charged along with Mr. McCreery

https://www.canlii.org/en/bc/bcsc/d...AAAAQALZGFuYSB3aW50ZXIAAAAAAQ&resultIndex=191

Timothy McCreery was convicted by a Supreme Court jury of first degree murder on December 20, 1996.
https://www.canlii.org/en/bc/bcca/d...CAgICAgICAgICBNY0NSRUVSWQAAAAAB&resultIndex=1

[3] The theory of the Crown in this case was that the deceased was killed by the appellant either because he was hired by, or wanted to impress, a local drug dealer, Dana Winter, in Smithers. The Crown theorized that the appellant believed that the deceased owed money to Winter and was about to inform on both Winter and the appellant to the police.
[7] Although Landis Heal's vehicle was found abandoned in the bush, his body had not been recovered by early October that same year. Following a number of tips the RCMP decided to mount an undercover operation.

[8] On October 22 RCMP officer Constable Doran attended the Smithers RCMP detachment dressed as a biker for the purpose of meeting the appellant. The appellant had been invited to the police station on a ruse. Constable Doran befriended the appellant and sought his assistance in locating a woman for a sum of money. The search for the fictitious woman took place in and around Smithers. Doran and the appellant travelled in Doran's vehicle which had been equipped to record their conversations.

[9] Doran presented himself as a enforcer involved in the drug scene. Doran told the appellant that he "did all the dirty work" for a man named "Jake" who was in Prince Rupert. The appellant bragged to Doran that he was a suspect in some breaking and enterings, a robbery and a murder. Eventually the appellant told Doran that he had shot two people, one of whom was in Vernon. The appellant told Doran that he had used a 45 calibre handgun in one of the killings. The story with respect to the Vernon killing was a lie. Both the appellant and Doran discussed the "rush" they both experienced in killing someone.

Last edited:
The CBC podcast this week touched on when Dana Winter was charged with murder and Barry flew out to bail him out and obtain a criminal lawyer for him. New to me was that a lawyer asked Barry if he himself was involved in the murder (??!!)

Also new was that it was at that point that Honey wanted to distance herself from the cousins. Previously we heard from Kerry that Honey asked Kerry over to their home to discuss a kitchen remodel and she confronted Kerry about how he was spending the money Barry had lent him, and that was the beginning of the fracture of the relationship. ....
RSBM
Funny the different stories one gets when hearing two sides to something!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd