VERDICT WATCH SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know, it depends. Granted, I don't think that the state has presented a strong case. It is circumstantial. And the accused, AM, went on the stand and testified that he was a drug addict, liar, and thief. It was interesting to watch.

I won't be surprised by a mistrial, I think AM still has cash stashed away, and in that area, even $100,000 is a hefty sum. I wouldn't put it past AM to have found a way to pay off a juror. It only takes one for an acquittal.
The key comes down to reasonable doubt. In order to subscribe to this opinion, a juror would have to concurrently accept the alternate theory that others could have committed this crime. There is no *middle ground* here. I'm leaving the subject of MOTIVE out of this discussion. So, if I were on this jury confronting an *AM sympathetic* juror, I would press their logic supporting their belief that others could be responsible>>>> notwithstanding>>>>AM's LIEING about NOT BEING PRESENT... the GUNS used in the killings belonging to AM are missing...and the clothes he wore at the scene of the crime are missing.
Maybe that juror might reconsider?

Last edited:
I don't know, it depends. Granted, I don't think that the state has presented a strong case. It is circumstantial. And the accused, AM, went on the stand and testified that he was a drug addict, liar, and thief. It was interesting to watch.

I won't be surprised by a mistrial, I think AM still has cash stashed away, and in that area, even $100,000 is a hefty sum. I wouldn't put it past AM to have found a way to pay off a juror. It only takes one for an acquittal.
The fact that closing arguments are a RECAP of the evidence is the biggest thing the prosecution has going for them. IMO, when either side is focusing on the details of any of the aforementioned evidence, it’s way too easy to lose sight of the obvious. It’s at this time when I see more comments regarding the possibility of a hung jury. There is so much solid circumstantial evidence here. I wonder if the KISS method (keep it simple stupid) has ever been more relevant.

I thought when defense and prosecution came back into the courtroom after discussing the jury view with Judge Newman in his chambers P00t appeared red in the face and looked fairly miffed. Perhaps he wanted Alec on the visit unshackled (not to be mistaken for the murderer) for one last serious melt down so the jury could identify with the reaction of a loving husband and father "discovering" the bodies. If this *was* requested by defense, I feel certain both Waters and Judge Newman didn't buy in. MOO.

I am expecting P00t to pull something tomorrow. Too bad Court TV can't livestream without violating jury anonymity :(
I've noticed that <modsnip> face is red -- A LOT. He makes frequent forays away from the defense table in open court, and heads out the side exit while the proceedings are carrying on without him. Wondering if some tippling is going on . . ..

Last edited by a moderator:
Was Barrett mentioned during Alex's admission of people he stole from or lied to? Alex's drug dealing money laundering friend is dead, so Alex assumed 100% of the monthly payments and it strained his finances? That's why he stole the money?

"A Beaufort County island co-owned by disgraced and disbarred South Carolina attorney Richard “Alex” Murdaugh and a deceased drug-smuggling suspect is up for sale, pending court approval.​
The island for sale is 50% owned by Murdaugh through Murdaugh Holdings and 50% owned by the Estate of Barrett Boulware, according to the court filing."​

link
Yes and Alex referred to him as a shrimper.

The fact that closing arguments are a RECAP of the evidence is the biggest thing the prosecution has going for them. IMO, when either side is focusing on the details of any of the aforementioned evidence, it’s way too easy to lose sight of the obvious. It’s at this time when I see more comments regarding the possibility of a hung jury. There is so much solid circumstantial evidence here. I wonder if the KISS method (keep it simple stupid) has ever been more relevant.

That is why, a simple graphic timeline of the date of the murders, and the items that are missing, guns, clothing, is going to be a key element here. KISS is right.

Very easy to understand graphic, black and white, timeline, and items missing, clothing, guns. I think that is needed for the jury. Not anything over complicated. The average reading level of citizens in the United States is 8th grade.

Attorneys miss that, and lose.

Someone knows. AM did not operate in a vacuum. He was a chameleon who could travel in various circles with all kinds of connections. Eddie Smith for instance, who would pair him up with a Murdaugh? I hope there will be further investigations and indictments for GS and SS.
He’s already been indicted for drug trafficking and money laundering, but we don’t hear much about it. The indictment might still be sealed, idk.

The key comes down to reasonable doubt. In order to subscribe to this opinion, a juror would have to concurrently accept the alternate theory that others could have committed this crime. There is no *middle ground* here. I'm leaving the subject of MOTIVE out of this discussion. So, if I were on this jury confronting an *AM sympathetic* juror, I would press their logic supporting their belief that others could be responsible>>>> notwithstanding>>>>AM's LIEING about NOT BEING PRESENT... the GUNS used in the killings belonging to AM are missing...and the clothes he wore at the scene of the crime are missing.
Maybe that juror might reconsider?
The State thanked Alex during testimony when he said that his quails and dogs would have alerted if someone else was around at 8:44. All was quiet, per Alex.

That is why, a simple graphic timeline of the date of the murders, and the items that are missing, guns, clothing, is going to be a key element here. KISS is right.

Very easy to understand graphic, black and white, timeline, and items missing, clothing, guns. I think that is needed for the jury. Not anything over complicated. The average reading level of citizens in the United States is 8th grade.

Attorneys miss that, and lose.
100% agree. Are they allowed to bring something like that for closing arguments or would it have been something they had to introduce during the main part of the trial?

Certainly not a fan of DH and don’t think he necessarily deserves getting the benefit of the doubt - but could he have meant that he has resided in the area long enough vs. being in this AM trial for forever?
Today he might have been contemplating moving from the $20,000 week wedding venue to the nearest Super 8 motel. Nothing went his way today so it put him in a bad mood. He can take up hog hunting if he loses his next Senate run.

There is way more to this than we know. I feel there are others who could provide evidence against AM but I really think people fear retaliation.

I’m hoping that people will come forward eventually. They have had to of been following the case. Bottom line AM isn’t convicted yet.

What is unfortunate is people will remain fearful if AM wins. It sends a message that the Murdaughs always win no matter what they are up against.
Makes me wonder if the financial crimes had been tried first if this would have been a different trial. If he's convicted and not fear of getting out maybe those fearful would have spoken up. Maybe even family that might feel some kind of way.

Yes and Alex referred to him as a shrimper.
Did Barrett owe money to Alex for defending him around 2010-11?

Alex started stealing from his partners in 2011, same year he acquired Moselle acreage. Did Alex convince Barrett's wife that he got it all when Barrett died in 2018? What happened in 2011 between Barrett and Alex ?

Gloria accidentally died in 2018 with a $4 million payout to Alex Murdaugh.

I also read Mudaugh She Wrote. The author was not kind to Maggie.
I haven’t read it. I hate to hear he was not kind to Maggie. Everyone has their faults, but I really think she loved her family and did the best she could. I don’t know how she held it together knowing what she knew about AM, his opioid addiction and all fraud and scamming people. This whole thing and the manner in which she and Paul died is such a tragedy. Such a tragedy! I’d like to read the book. Do you recommend it?

100% agree. Are they allowed to bring something like that for closing arguments or would it have been something they had to introduce during the main part of the trial?

They can present it at closing arguments. And will if they have any sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998