FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen #13 *1 guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Katie's proffer doesn't implicate Charlie, why does his defence need more time to prepare?

If it doesn't implicate Charlie, and must contain something useful, is it too much of a stretch to think it might contain information that implicates Charlie's family?

If Katie's proffer doesn't implicate Charlie, why does his defence need more time to prepare?

If it doesn't implicate Charlie, and must contain something useful, is it too much of a stretch to think it might contain information that implicates Charlie's family?
It’s interesting for sure. I’m wondering if KM’s proffer contains any thing useful at this point, but maybe I’m just being cynical.

Rashbaum says the defense needs more time to prepare because they are still pouring over the voluminous amount of discovery - mainly thousands of wiretaps, emails, social media posts, texts, bank records etc. a lot of which are in Spanish.

But me thinks they need more time to prepare because the defense strategy needs to change.

It’s interesting for sure. I’m wondering if KM’s proffer contains any thing useful at this point, but maybe I’m just being cynical.

Rashbaum says the defense needs more time to prepare because they are still pouring over the voluminous amount of discovery - mainly thousands of wiretaps, emails, social media posts, texts, bank records etc. a lot of which are in Spanish.

But me thinks they need more time to prepare because the defense strategy needs to change.
I feel cynical too… maybe this was just another strategy. Ugh!!!

Another video of today's hearing, but this one has ML's take on the proceedings. I haven't listened to either yet because I've been watching the Murdaugh trial, but I thought I would share in case anyone wants to hear what he has to say

Rashbaum said the proffer didn't implicate KM for the exact thing we wants to avoid by sealing the proffer- to taint the jury pool. This board and the media are now reporting that the proffer didn't implicate KM. Prospective jurors are reading that. I don't know the law well enough, but the state should consider moving for a gag order or even sanctions. The media should use that comment as grounds for reopening the argument. Sleazy, but effective move by the lawyer.

I’m just now watching the hearing and got to the part where defense counsel said KM’s proffer doesn’t implicate CA and as such he doesn’t even anticipate that she will testify in CA’s trial!!!! Hold up!! How is it remotely possible that KM’s proffer doesn’t implicate CA!???? It makes no sense. If her proffer implicates anybody it WILL be Charlie Adelson. I do not believe for one second she will have much to offer on the other Adelsons because I can not imagine a scenario where Donna or Harvey sat down with her to plan this out. I’m so confused! What a let down!

Re fresher 2022 rbbm fwiw
1677689578055.png
''There were also a number of phone calls on July 1, 2014, 17 days before Markel was killed, between Adelson, Magbanua, Garcia and a phone registered to Harvey Adelson, Markel's former father-in-law, the affidavit states.

A number of phone calls also occurred between midnight and 1am among Adelson, his mother Donna, Magbanua, and Garcia on July 18, the day Markel was murdered.

A probable cause affidavit also reveals that in the days and months after the murder Garcia purchased a new car and motorcycle, according to WCTV.

Records show Rivera also purchased a motorcycle within 10 days of the murder.

Meanwhile, Magbanua began receiving checks from Adelson and his father's dental practice, the Adelson Institute, from September 2014 to January 2016.''

Is KM still in Tallahassee? I tried to look it up but obviously don’t know what I’m doing because I couldn’t find her.

Is the State finished proffering? Why would they continue to keep her in Tallahassee? Can the State keep bringing her in for more questioning?

I didn’t get a chance to watch the entire hearing, but did find some comfort in hearing, per Mentour Lawyer, that after Rashbaum stated that KM’s proffer didn’t implicate CA, the judge stated the the proffer could be interrupted differently.

Why are people here conflating the words “incriminate” (the word used — rhetorically — by CA’s defense) and “implicate”?
The article I linked yesterday from the Tallahassee Democrat site used the word “implicate”. I haven’t had time to watch the actual hearing - what word did Rashbaum use?

The article I linked yesterday from the Tallahassee Democrat site used the word “implicate”. I haven’t had time to watch the actual hearing - what word did Rashbaum use?
rbbm.
''Wheeler also granted a request by Adelson’s lawyers to seal proffers Katherine Magbanua made to state prosecutors last year after she was convicted in Markel’s murder. The state didn’t oppose the request, but a lawyer for WCTV and Court TV argued that the proffers were public records and shouldn’t be sealed in part because they didn’t pose a “serious and imminent threat” to the administration of justice in the case, which has drawn international attention for nearly a decade.

Rashbaum told the court that the proffers did not incriminate his client. However, he said they should be sealed until trial “because it’s the right thing to do.”

rbbm.
''Wheeler also granted a request by Adelson’s lawyers to seal proffers Katherine Magbanua made to state prosecutors last year after she was convicted in Markel’s murder. The state didn’t oppose the request, but a lawyer for WCTV and Court TV argued that the proffers were public records and shouldn’t be sealed in part because they didn’t pose a “serious and imminent threat” to the administration of justice in the case, which has drawn international attention for nearly a decade.

Rashbaum told the court that the proffers did not incriminate his client. However, he said they should be sealed until trial “because it’s the right thing to do.”
Thanks. My bad. Could they have corrected it? I noticed on YouTube some posters were also using the word “implicate”. But I’m sure it’s my mistake. Sorry about that. And not making excuses but I had just come in from lawn mowing 2 acres with a manual mower in 85 degeee heat yesterday and I’m no spring chicken - nor am I in shape. My brain and body were fried.

Sorry if I bent people out of shape here with my typo. It happens. My apologies.

Thanks for the correction.

Last edited:
Thanks. My bad. Could they have corrected it? I noticed on YouTube some posters were also using the word “implicate”.

Thanks for pointing that out,
Noting that the article was just updated today. fwiw
ETA @Gypsy Road Not giving a correction, lol, not i ! Just tried to be helpful by providing a link, bet you were right in the first place! ;)

On another note.
Peter SchorschFebruary 28, 202313min
''The internet has had a bloom of Markel-related Facebook groups, message boards, Patreons, and YouTube channels focused on the case. And everyone is hungry for more and more to digest.

But some close to the case urge patience.

“Of course, we’re all eager to know what Katie said, and eager for Charlie’s eventual day in court. But today’s rulings are far more satisfying than immediate answers,” said Karen Cyphers, who represents Justice for Dan and provides courtroom reporting for Florida Politics on this case. “It’s clear the State has an exceptionally strong case against Charlie, perhaps made stronger by Katie’s cooperation, and is ready to go when the defense is done with their work. It’s worth the wait, especially if it means securing justice against every single person involved in ripping Dan from his children, family and friends.”

Last edited:
Thanks @dotr!

Been doing a lot of reading about Rashbaum’s comment yesterday. Someone pointed out that he said the same thing about the Dolce Vita wire tapes- that it proved his client had no part in Dan’s murder. So I’m not going to give his comment any more value or thought until we get to hear KM’s testimony and read the proffer ourselves.

In the meantime, I’m finally getting around to reading Extreme Punishment by Steven Epstein. Started tonight! I had bought it before Christmas, but was so busy with other things to get a chance to start it. I’m only into the 3rd chapter so far, but it’s a page turner!

Justice for Dan!

Thanks @dotr!

Been doing a lot of reading about Rashbaum’s comment yesterday. Someone pointed out that he said the same thing about the Dolce Vita wire tapes- that it proved his client had no part in Dan’s murder. So I’m not going to give his comment any more value or thought until we get to hear KM’s testimony and read the proffer ourselves.

In the meantime, I’m finally getting around to reading Extreme Punishment by Steven Epstein. Started tonight! I had bought it before Christmas, but was so busy with other things to get a chance to start it. I’m only into the 3rd chapter so far, but it’s a page turner!

Justice for Dan!
This is very apropos. I remember how confidently he stated the enhanced Dolce Vita was actually helpful to Charlie's interest. ... Yeah, right. It is inconceivable to me that Katie's proffers could help Charlie's cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave