GA: Deborah (Debbie) Collier 10 Sept 2022 autopsy implies foul play

He's got valid points that it seems the fire started after her death. I still can't wrap my brain around LE coming to the suicide conclusion so quickly after being sure foul play was involved. I know the daughter pushed the suicide theory from day one but it's just too bizarre and unlikely, IMO.

At most, it seems cause of death should be classified as undetermined. Just because they couldn't find evidence that someone else was there in their short two month investigation doesn't mean no one else was there.

I know the daughter pushed the suicide theory from day one
Snipped by me.

Did she? I don't recall her saying that. I thought she also suspected foul play?

ETA: Did some digging. In a Nov. interview AR says she now suspects it was suicide, but I believe this was after LE also changed their tune. Originally AR said:

In an emotional interview, Bearden voiced her distress at losing her mother, telling CBS 46: “Somebody took my whole world from me,” and “She was a beautiful, kind, giving woman — and she didn’t deserve any of this … I want justice for my mom.”

Source

Last edited:
Snipped by me.

Did she? I don't recall her saying that. I thought she also suspected foul play?

ETA: Did some digging. In a Nov. interview AR says she now suspects it was suicide, but I believe this was after LE also changed their tune. Originally AR said:

In an emotional interview, Bearden voiced her distress at losing her mother, telling CBS 46: “Somebody took my whole world from me,” and “She was a beautiful, kind, giving woman — and she didn’t deserve any of this … I want justice for my mom.”

Source

I only recall DC's son fighting for a criminal investigation and not believing this was suicide.

I thought the daughter was too distraught to be of any help. JMO

Daughter only went with suicide after le did. If there’s no spot in the lungs, my belief is that she was not breathing when the fire started. But I’m not a ME, there could be another reason. As for her body being mostly nude, that appears to be from the fire burning off her clothes. JMO

The reason for the abrupt switch from foul play to suicide by LE was perplexing, but to the extent of influencing the results of the autopsy? Kudos to DC’s son who was unsatisfied with the investigation and his dealings with the Sheriff, seems as he had good cause. Where will this go from here I wonder.

“The medical examiners for the Georgia Bureau Investigation (GBI) admit they did not come to the conclusion that Collier killed herself by themselves, writing in the autopsy report that an “investigation by law enforcement revealed circumstances consistent with a self-intentioned act.”

“That means, ‘The police told me it was a suicide.’ We’re not just rubber stamps for the police, but some people think we are,” Baden said of forensic pathologists.”

Daughter only went with suicide after le did. If there’s no spot in the lungs, my belief is that she was not breathing when the fire started. But I’m not a ME, there could be another reason. As for her body being mostly nude, that appears to be from the fire burning off her clothes. JMO
and soot was autocorrected to spot.

The reason for the abrupt switch from foul play to suicide by LE was perplexing, but to the extent of influencing the results of the autopsy? Kudos to DC’s son who was unsatisfied with the investigation and his dealings with the Sheriff, seems as he had good cause. Where will this go from here I wonder.

“The medical examiners for the Georgia Bureau Investigation (GBI) admit they did not come to the conclusion that Collier killed herself by themselves, writing in the autopsy report that an “investigation by law enforcement revealed circumstances consistent with a self-intentioned act.”

“That means, ‘The police told me it was a suicide.’ We’re not just rubber stamps for the police, but some people think we are,” Baden said of forensic pathologists.”
That's standard practice though isn't it? Manner of death is usually determined, not just by examination of the body, but also the circumstances surrounding the death?

He's got valid points that it seems the fire started after her death. I still can't wrap my brain around LE coming to the suicide conclusion so quickly after being sure foul play was involved. I know the daughter pushed the suicide theory from day one but it's just too bizarre and unlikely, IMO.

At most, it seems cause of death should be classified as undetermined. Just because they couldn't find evidence that someone else was there in their short two month investigation doesn't mean no one else was there.
ITA with you @Ssschu that the autopsy should have been classified as undetermined and the case should still be open. Wondering how hard LE really looked to determine if anybody was actually there with her? IIRC, there was talk of the area where she was found and that it had litter left there not collected. I just never got the feeling in the original thread that she set out to kill herself that day. I don't know that we will ever know unless the family pushes or hires a PI etc. Just my opinion/Glad to have the thread back :)

I recall local police initially made vehement assertions about it being homicide, without explanation. At the same press conference, I recall they also made aggressive comments about where was the Venmo money sent to the daughter.

MSM/social media soon created a firestorm around the daughter, who was literally trapped in her home, and stalked by photographers when she went out.

Footage was released showing DC buying the stuff, in the parking lot, etc, but no commentary from police. The speculation exploded even more.

In the end, they just released the autopsy and closed the case as suicide. I think they had messed up some of their forensics at the crime scene, not to mention their media and family communications.

Perhaps they had no further evidence or leads to follow, and just wanted it all to go away.

I think they should have clarified the evidence they'd found or not found, rather than just shut everything down.

It's a new era, where police have to deal with the wider public reaction, the true crime phenomenon, where a case in a quiet, unknown corner draws interest from millions of people who have no connection to the people or place.

JMO

Edited: I don't have links for something I 'heard about'.

Last edited:
So, for clarification, do we assume that it was the Post who actually engaged Dr. Michael Baden to analyze the autopsy report.

I hope we get some details on the kids' response to this.
It did appear that the brother and sister were at odds with the final outcome, so I do hope they provide some comments.

So, for clarification, do we assume that it was the Post who actually engaged Dr. Michael Baden to analyze the autopsy report.

I hope we get some details on the kids' response to this.
It did appear that the brother and sister were at odds with the final outcome, so I do hope they provide some comments.
In my experience, it's a slow and painstaking process to get the coroner to change the manner of death to undetermined if not homicide, and even slower to get an investigation reopened. IMO, somebody likely working for DC's son is working behind the scenes, hoping the release of the autopsy results will generate momentum and public support. As I said, a slow process....

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back