GUILTY SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #38

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if this issue will come back to hurt this case during appeals process:

Newman: Two other people were interviewed in an in-chambers, on-the-record hearing about their contact with that juror. "Both of those individuals waffled on the nature and the extent of the contact.”

Newman: "The juror has had contact or discussions concerning the case with at least three individuals, though it does not appear the discussion was that extensive." But it did involve the juror offering her opinion on evidence presented at trial.

Newman is removing that juror and replacing her with an alternate. We are down to one alternate now.

Defense attorney Dick Harpootlian isn’t happy about this juror issue and how the matter was investigated. He says SLED handled the juror investigation. One agent handling it was a witness in this case. Another was an investigator in the Murdaugh murders investigation.

Harpootlian: “It is muddled. But we would defer to your judgment. … “SLED has made another bad judgment in this case. This is just a continuum of a calamity of errors.”

So the defense is complaining because the 2 agents who investigated the juror were both involved with the trial?

I think ALL available and local agents were involved with this case, most likely. But I wonder if this could be used during appeal----especially if the juror did not really do anything wrong?
On Appeal they will try to throw whatever they can at the issue. Often one claim is ineffective representation, which usually fails, and I feel the Judge has done a very good job. Appeals take a long time generally, and IMPOV, If all the 'missing' evidence had been found and presented, it would have just added to the Guilty verdict.
I am a bit surprised that the sentencing will be this morning. That's fast, but I will be listening to the Impact Statements, should anyone choose to make them. Amazing job overall in my view. This Judge deserves an Award for his patience, and adherence to the Law. Relief and gratitude are my words for the day. Kohberger is next on my watch list.

I wonder if AM will stand up crying and declare his innocence after the victim statements tomorrow. Also will be fun watching to see how he reacts during the statements!

As a lying liar who lies, AM has already figured out that the judge is too smart to fall for his shenanigans and attempts to gather the upper hand through looking him in the eye and weeping (as in his ad for the video services). I think he will either be stoic(ICK) or have his lawyers be defiant. The only people he cares about are the ones on his side and he knows the judge is not. Today we will find out if MM's family is still on his side or not. So, it will be interesting.

If AM is seriously going to appeal -- what vanity! He would rather bankrupt whomever is underwriting his legal fees than accept what he is due. He is truly an a$$ wh0le. Like duhhh! MOO.
Everyone appeals. Standard practice. He’s gonna be busy though. Does he start working on the defense for the 100+ financial crimes, the murder conviction appeals, or gambling with his new Cellies in prison?

If you’re a Podcast fan, I highly recommend Ear Hustle. Start at the beginning. It’s recorded inside San Quentin by prisoners. It’s fascinating. They interview other prisoners. They don’t really delve into the crimes, it’s more like their experience in prison. My takeaway is your “Cellie” (bunk mate) is what makes or breaks the prison experience. Let’s only hope Alex gets a real doozie.

Everyone appeals. Standard practice. He’s gonna be busy though. Does he start working on the defense for the 100+ financial crimes, the murder conviction appeals, or gambling with his new Cellies in prison?

If you’re a Podcast fan, I highly recommend Ear Hustle. Start at the beginning. It’s recorded inside San Quentin by prisoners. It’s fascinating. They interview other prisoners. They don’t really delve into the crimes, it’s more like their experience in prison. My takeaway is your “Cellie” (bunk mate) is what makes or breaks the prison experience. Let’s only hope Alex gets a real doozie.
Alec's cellmate is going to get a real doozie.

Jmo

As a lying liar who lies, AM has already figured out that the judge is too smart to fall for his shenanigans and attempts to gather the upper hand through looking him in the eye and weeping (as in his ad for the video services). I think he will either be stoic(ICK) or have his lawyers be defiant. The only people he cares about are the ones on his side and he knows the judge is not. Today we will find out if MM's family is still on his side or not. So, it will be interesting.
As far as I know, his lawyers will not be permitted to comment, as any Impact statements are not evidence, but the opportunity for (secondary/Family/Friends)Victims(the Murder victims are the Primary victims in a murder case) to express and share the Impact, views, feelings on themselves, their families, society at large.
Often, Impact statements are made Before sentencing, and may add to the length of sentencing(or the perception of such).MOO

Thought I heard the judge reply that SLED was not involved in the process of investigating the juror, but I don't have an exact quote, so words to that effect, I believe.

edited to add quote and video

Judge Newman "the court has not had any discussion with any SLED agents concerning this issue and all the inquiry by the court has been directly with the suspected parties involved and with the juror"

starts at about 4.40m
It’s open to interpretation, but I thought the judge was saying he is making his decision not based on what sled found but his own personal interviews with the individuals. I assume Sled was the one who investigated the report, talked to them, arranged for them to come in and speak with Newman Moo

Since Alec admitted to so many of his financial crimes on the stand, I’m wondering if they will plead those out.

The podcast sounds interesting, thanks for sharing moo

Moyer said he is tired of being in court, but on Friday, he will once again make the 30-minute drive from his home in Colleton County.
“I want to see it,” he said. “It’s a decision I have to live with.”

Last edited:
Should Murdaugh appeal, the case will go to the appellate court or possibly the Supreme Court of South Carolina. Dick Harpootlian, one of Murdaugh’s attorneys, declined to say what his client’s next steps will be.
“We’ll have a statement and a reaction after the sentencing in the morning,” Harpootlian told The Washington Post over the phone on Thursday evening. “We can’t speak before that.”

Newman is known as a tough sentencer. The veteran judge denied defense attorneys' request for a mistrial after the verdicts were read, saying the "evidence of guilt is overwhelming.

And just before excusing the jury, Newman said he agreed with their decision.

"The circumstantial evidence, direct evidence — all of the evidence pointed to one conclusion, and that's the conclusion that you all reached," Newman told the 12 jurors.
I really liked Judge Newman. He seems very fair & doesn’t put up with any funny business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea