GUILTY SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #38

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good day!

It’s day of sentencing and our train is stocked and ready to roll. We're waiting on our sleuths to board the train. When you arrive, grab a beverage, grab comfy seat and watch out for the beloved chicken who is very protective of its beverage. Choo-choo

Watch live at Law & Crime (of course there're other options)

Last edited:
Speaking of masks. This has probably been discussed but do you think he at least covered his face somehow, maybe with a paper type mask, or even a ski mask? He's obviously a cold hearted individual but is he so bad that he could face his wife and son so they knew without a doubt it was their father/husband who was ending their lives?
I wondered that, it would have helped him with blood spatter etc . Who knows.

UGH<. I wish he wasn't talking about this before sentencing tomorrow. It is SOOOOOOOO easy for a juror to say the wrong thing----then the defense gets a hold of it and it is suddenly jury trouble, etc.

If they decide the jury did something incorrectly, this verdict can be nullified.

I don't like the way this juror worded this :

"When he and his colleagues arrived at the deliberation room late on Thursday, Moyer said they passed over the small talk they had entertained during their six weeks of sworn silence and took a poll on Murdaugh’s guilt.

Nine, including Moyer, believed the defendant was guilty, two thought he was innocent, and one was unsure, according to Moyer.

He said the jury then watched a responding officer’s body camera video taken at the crime scene. The heart of their brief debate surrounded shotgun shells, which he said the not guilty voters put forward as evidence of Murdaugh's innocence. During trial, the defense suggested there were two triggermen but the prosecution maintained the only man who was in the position to commit the crime was Murdaugh.

It only took Moyer and the majority 45 minutes to turn the holdouts, he said."

That final sentence could be problematic. The defense could latch on to it and demand the jurors are polled by the judge about if they felt pressured or forced to change their minds.

I’ve always found it a bit odd when Prosecutors speak post-verdict and mention how “blood, sweat, and tears” went into building their murder case.

It’s minor but I’ve also thought the hugging and congrats like talk to one another after a verdict is also strange. No matter what, there’s no “winners” here. Two people lost their lives, one person was found legally responsible for their deaths, and countless friends, family, colleagues and anyone else who knows or knew of the Murdaugh family has their live forever changed in some way after all of this. And, of course, one man loses his freedom as a result of being found legally responsible for these heinous crimes. There are never any “winners” in homicide cases, there are “losers” all around. Always so tragic, and always so sad. JMOO.
It was positive press for the AG’s political goals no doubt. That’s why he went down there to show his face and even examined a witness. They were all giddy at the presser probably from lack of sleep/exhaustion for the past 6 weeks. They are all worn out. But a part of me also feels like they couldn’t believe they got a conviction and so quickly!

This is extremely good for them politically! There are all these side characters: podcasters, local defense attys, plaintiff attys for all of AM’s financial victims etc who were all giddy with excitement l after the verdict. These people have been beating the drum for a conviction all over social media and network TV. During the trial they have giddily talked about their connection to the family, AM, AM’s victims etc. It was one big gossip. It all feels like a witch hunt to me esp given the state’s poor case. A 6 week trial with a less than 3-hour deliberation?? JMO

Last edited:

Per ABC news interview with a juror, initial vote was 9 guilty, 2 not guilty , 1 unsure. The 2 not guilty thought he was "innocent" - it only took 45 mins to change their minds from innocent, not just unsure, but innocent to guilty. Interesting!

As we knew, juror said #1 piece of evidence pointing to his guilt was lying about being at the kennels.

I saw the clip again of AM and CW because everyone was showing “Pau Pau” last night. It was when AM was answering questions about Rogan. I forgot he used “Pau Pau” and “Ro Ro” in the same sentence. After he said it CW was like “Pau Pau and Ro Ro???? Ok”

It’s hilarious if you need a laugh. It was as though CW was thinking to himself ‘this guy is a complete joke’! CW wanted to emphasize the pet names as ludicrousness and let the jury know he was off the rails faking. I’m glad CW chose to highlight it. None of the commentators I saw mentioned it before the verdict but after it most of them did.

Good morning. Don't be surprised if AM doesn't ask to give his own victim impact statement this morning. ;)
They sure didn’t give much time to prepare victim impact statements, basically about 12 hours. Plus, some would have to travel some distance to show up at Colleton County courthouse. Not that I think it will affect the sentence he’ll receive, but maybe Marian and her girls would want to speak. Then again, maybe not. The statements may end up being more on behalf of mercy for the convicted murderer.

That said, I’m fine with such quick sentencing. Get ‘er done!

Last edited:
I couldn’t figure out how to post a link from this from The Independent so I just copied and pasted some of the article. I hope that’s okay. If you’re looking for the article just google Murdaugh jury. I also wasn’t sure about whether we were allowed to post a juror’s name even after they speak to the press so I replaced the juroro’s name with …

Alex Murdaugh juror reveals what led panel to find him guilty of murder​

…. said that Murdaugh’s lack of remorse, crocodile tears and the damning cellphone video captured by Paul minutes before his murder convinced the panel of his guilt​

The juror gave a glimpse behind the scenes of the jury room where deliberations took less than three hours before a unanimous verdict was reached.

Taking an initial poll as soon as they were handed the case, Mr … said that nine jurors voted guilty, two innocent and one was on the fence.

Mr … said that the holdouts had questions about the shotgun shells on the scene, after the defence had pushed the theory that there may have been two shooters responsible for the brutal murders.

But, utlimately, it took just 45 minutes to reach a unanimous verdict.

Not long into deliberations the panel asked for a monitor to view the bodycam footage from the first officer arriving on the scene.

After another vote, Mr … said “the evidence was clear” and – less than three hours after they first got the case – the verdict was reached.

I believe this is it.

Watching Channel 2, a Charleston SC station, saying that AM will likely end up at Kirkland Corrections in Columbia with protection. IMO he's still going to have special treatment.
There are good rehabilitation programs there, like drug rehab and anger management. And since he lost his license to practice law there is employment training, like heating ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC).
Looks like most everyone needs protection there, he’s lucky if he actually gets it.

Former SCDC Corrections Officer Sentenced to Federal Prison for Stabbing Inmate

2 SC prisoners get life for murdering 4 fellow Kirkland inmates

2 state prison employees OK after being taken hostage

SCDC: Corrections officer pregnant by inmate arrested for sexual misconduct - ABC Columbia

The woman journalist from the WSJ who was in the Netflix series, has been here through the trial. I read somewhere that she is writing a book, so it will most likely be more inclusive than some since she was here to the end.
The book to watch for is the one by Mandy Matney and/or Liz Farrell -- they are the reporters who broke 80% of the news in this story and have been following it and contributing insight for years. The national press has mostly re-reported what those two and other local reporters have uncovered about the crimes and the family.

I wonder if this issue will come back to hurt this case during appeals process:

Newman: Two other people were interviewed in an in-chambers, on-the-record hearing about their contact with that juror. "Both of those individuals waffled on the nature and the extent of the contact.”

Newman: "The juror has had contact or discussions concerning the case with at least three individuals, though it does not appear the discussion was that extensive." But it did involve the juror offering her opinion on evidence presented at trial.

Newman is removing that juror and replacing her with an alternate. We are down to one alternate now.

Defense attorney Dick Harpootlian isn’t happy about this juror issue and how the matter was investigated. He says SLED handled the juror investigation. One agent handling it was a witness in this case. Another was an investigator in the Murdaugh murders investigation.

Harpootlian: “It is muddled. But we would defer to your judgment. … “SLED has made another bad judgment in this case. This is just a continuum of a calamity of errors.”

So the defense is complaining because the 2 agents who investigated the juror were both involved with the trial?

I think ALL available and local agents were involved with this case, most likely. But I wonder if this could be used during appeal----especially if the juror did not really do anything wrong?

I think it’s going to be used. They will most likely say codes and procedures were not adhered to in this instance. I don’t know what they are but I know DH will find a way to tie them in. He is also claiming that Newman was bias and generous with Pros, and that the other crimes were allowed in.

Good day!

It’s day of sentencing and our train is stocked and ready to roll. We're ready on our sleuths. When you arrive, grab a beverage, grab comfy seat and watch out for the beloved chicken who is very protective of its beverage. Choo-choo

Watch live at Law & Crime (of course there're other options)

Hard part is over, pins and needles for us at times. Now we sit back enjoy the ride and IMO hope for max sentencing for such a horrific act. Continued prayers for the families who lost so much due to this dark act of selfishness.

Speaking of masks. This has probably been discussed but do you think he at least covered his face somehow, maybe with a paper type mask, or even a ski mask? He's obviously a cold hearted individual but is he so bad that he could face his wife and son so they knew without a doubt it was their father/husband who was ending their lives?
Still think AM had the time to do a quick scrub up since he smelt April fresh as the Police touched on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998