GUILTY SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #39

Status
Not open for further replies.
My fear it would hang was based on the CSI Effect that sometimes infects jurors
Me too plus there is a misunderstanding of what reasonable doubt means. I have read so many comments that "X” might be possible, prosecution has not proven that did not happen. Just because it is possible does not mean it is reasonable and does not cross the threshold of reasonable doubt. Not every question has to be answered to have no doubt the defendant is guilty. moo

Defense sounds combative imo
They're going to file an appeal. All puffed up and ready for it.

Meanwhile, their favorite client gets to go to prison in Columbia, SC. Seems there are a series of prisons there, Broad River is a high security prison for longterm prisoners. I think Alec (Elik) qualifies.

While there, if he's a very good boy, he can make license plates.

Visiting hours are not published. I don't think they get iPads. :) but they do get to use a video system for their parole hearings - which won't be happening for Alec. :)

How will they and Alec even have time for this with 99 financial charges?

This angers me no end -- what a waste of resources both for SC and the M family. I think this is a huge mistake for JG -- can't imagine why he would want to tarnish his reputation. DH is already over the hill "I'm old." They can't be doing this for the $$.

I am absolutely dumbfounded. The SCOTUS?
IMO, the reason for the fervor of Mr. Griffin and Mr. Hartpootlian as to appeals has as much or more to do with the desire for fairness in justice as it does for their client.

Several issues were raised as a matter of law that were very tough calls in this trial (5th and 6th Amendments, Rule 403 and 404 evidentiary decisions). Not bad decisions, just tough decisions.

ETA: I’ll hang up and take my beating :D

Purely from a defense stand-point - I never thought it was a good idea for AM to take the stand in his own defense. IMHO he was a fool for doing this. I.e., he definitely wasn't credible & made himself look far worse - than if he hadn't said anything. He's a liar, and that was proven beyond the shadow of a doubt. This type of situation is exactly why defense lawyers warn some of their clients against taking the stand - especially in high-profile cases like this.

So, if he hadn't taken the stand - it's possible the outcome would have been completely different. However, obviously we'll never know at this point. And, since he was found guilty - the outcome here was obviously the most optimum :)

Last edited:
Reposting my post from a week ago. Seems the judge was thinking this too. BBM:

The defense is trying to raise doubts about basically every piece of evidence -- the replacement gun, the angle of the shots, when Maggie's phone was thrown, parking on the grass at Almeda... it goes on and on. But to me there almost seems like a subtext of if Alex did it, it was an addicted, crazy Alex and he would never have done this intentionally, i.e., in his right mind, so almost hoping for jury nullification, while throwing out these reasonable doubt snippets for a juror to cling to. Not sure if this makes sense. JMO.

DH always feigning indignation over obvious observations.

Intereresting, how so many of these cases, with "innocent" men in prison, are not actively seeking the actual killers. Instead, their time, money, and energy are spent on pulling the prosecution case apart in minautea to get released on "technical" issues.

I watched the Netflix doc last night and in the past have watched all the other docs about this family. I can’t express my disgust for them effectively enough. How they lied, cheated, bought and sold and mistreated people for a very long time. I’m not talking just about Alex, but also his father and his brothers and even some of the wives - how they used their power and name to clean up and cover up bad acts - at the expense of so many other people. Mallory Beach’s parents were treated horribly and so unfairly during the search and rescue of their missing daughter after the boating accident. SLED wouldn’t even allow Mrs Beach to stand on the shore where the boat accident happened while the search was going on, yet she watched the Murdaughs -including Maggie be guided in by SLED right down to the scene. That disgusted me beyond and broke my heart for the Beach family. I’m disgusted with all the officials -SLED officials included that allowed themselves to be manipulated by the entire Murdaugh family. I realize some of them were just trying to make sure their families were fed, and a lot obliged the Murdaugh family out of fear of losing their positions, but some did it willingly, and it’s just awful how much influence this family had, and how many people bowed down to them, and how many people were tragically killed, wounded - both physically and psychologically by their hands - whether it was directly or by helping another family member out. My heart bleeds for the Satterfield family and what was done to them. I have little doubt it was an accident. Same goes for the Smith boy. So many victims!! I’m just left with so much disgust and sadness. Now that we have AM put away, I hope that now the Low Country can start to heal from the control and tragedy this family has caused and that the Good Ole Boy system will die once and for all. This is one of the most disturbing cases I’ve followed in awhile.

Maybe there was never a tarp but just a large jacket of some kind most likely grabbed at the last minute to carry to his mothers. If he appeared at his mothers at 6:30 in the morning as Shelly testified to, and went upstairs and returned, it is my guess none of the caretakers would ever nose around the house to see what could be found.
yes she said the entire visit was unusual at that time of morning. witnesses recollections turn to gold when something is out of the ordinary, it enables their memory of that day to be clear because it wasnt routine. she saw him and what she preceived he was carrying upstairs. the entire visit was suspect.

What goes on in the low country?

Wonder if the shady actors were investigated? I must have missed it.

I think the family was silence out of respect for Buster.

Moo...
I admit some of my info comes from all the documentaries but the theme is consistent...there is a solid good old boys club and affluent families everywhere <modsnip - stereottyping>...and often fly below the radar in terms of evading the law. This was obvious in the trial until things starting unraveling for the Murdaughs. This is something that has been seen throughout history...money talks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pleased that justice has been served with the verdict yesterday and sentencing today.

Grateful to see such competent, eloquent and fearless prosecutors win this victory.

Truly sad that there were no victim impact statements.

The lack of impact statements tells me that there is either great fear of going against the Murdaughs in Maggie’s family and beyond or there is huge denial still present.
I can understand Maggie’s sister and parents not wanting to upset Buster- he’s all they have left of Maggie.
It just seems so irreverent though that nobody that knew or loved Maggie or Paul had the guts to say a word to Alex in court.
Maybe only a very select few were given the option to speak and declined.
It’s sad to me that not a single family member or friend of Maggie’s or Paul’s told Alex off.
Either there is great respect for the Murdaugh family members other than Alex that are still left or everyone for miles around is scared ******** of the Murdaugh clan.

Gives me even more respect for the fearless prosecutors including Mark Tinsley who are fighting for justice.

It takes tenacity and great bravery to stand up for what is right and true.

Regarding crime scene/autopsy photos, even doing a search on the internet you have to be careful if you click on "images" as you can't unsee once you scroll to pics. Made that mistake myself on another case, not Murdaugh case. Lesson learned. Never know what is there and I don't like surprises.
I've only seen two pictures -- one of MM and one of PM. They do seem to be photos of screen shots (computer monitors). I didn't find them that bad but we are all different. Two unclothed "sleeping" persons with some bruises and cuts. No privates, no evidence of posterior head injuries.

They should not have been leaked and wonder why someone was motivated to do this.

Interesting sentencing comments from the Judge

He made the great point that there was a hearing about the Alibi where AM blatantly deceived the court. Then he had to change course in the last days of the trial because he was so obviously screwed.

Great to see the Judge cut to the chase so brilliantly.

I don’t know about anybody else, but when I watched live this morning and I was mainly looking BM & JMM, and their reactions. Which is what fueled taking the screenshots.

While watching those two I saw JMM ask one of the bailiffs for some thing, and then smiled in a smirking type of way when the man obliged his request(s). IMHO the smirk/smile was arrogance. Probably stemming from how their family has always been shown preferential treatment by nearly everyone. JMO.

I have those screenshots, too.

ymmv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members