GUILTY SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #39

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if family were walking around the crime scene - it’s LE’s responsibility to secure a crime scene anyway. You don’t just throw your hands up and leave the scene unsecured. I believe we have the correct and right verdict, but there were mistakes made that I hope will be fixed so that justice can continue to prevail.

Randy may have sat behind him during the trial for Buster's sake and to project family unanimity. However, I suspect that Randy knows his brother is guilty although he'll probably never say it publicly. Unlike the other family members, Alex actually stole from him personally (probably while looking him in the face and lying). Randy has also had to make clients whole by repaying them out of his own pocket.

Once the jury delivered the verdict there was no reason to keep up the act. Not only was Randy not at sentencing, his law firm put out a statement saying that Alex received a fair trial. It was a very carefully worded statement, as you'd expect from a bunch of lawyers, but I'm sure it could only have been written with Randy's approval and input.
I agree…. He’s the only one that I feel has a hard time hiding his feels. Plus Alex borrowed money more then once and owes him a lot. Randy filed a civil suit against Alex.

I have a question: When Judge Newman was thanking the jury post-verdict, he alluded to some issue one juror was having at his job. It sounded like the employer was going to fire the juror if the trial went on too long.

Some googling shows that SC, like most states, have laws that prevent jurors from losing their jobs. Anyone have any idea what the issue could be here?
During jury selection when the case was predicted at 3 weeks, I recall this juror asking for confirmation because his employer could not spare him more than 3 weeks and asked the court to consider another candidate if they were not certain of the trial calendar. Neither side wanted to reject him as a juror. When the 3 weeks were up, he reminded the court of his predicament and Judge Newman asked him to check in with his employer and report to him after the weekend. I often wondered if the court intervened on his behalf. JMO

Anyone here familiar with the Todd Kendhammer case? The evidence in that case overwhelmingly pointed towards guilt but the motive was a mystery. It seemed so sudden. Todd Kendhammer was another cipher. He seemingly was this people pleaser “nice” guy. I don’t know why exactly that case popped into my head. I think mainly because the motive was seemingly nonexistent in that one as well. Although in that case we learn that Kendhammer was controlling towards his wife although not in an obvious way and was never seen to be abusive.

He was driving her to work and bam! He beats her to death by the side of the road!

His giant Ego led him to believe he could run the show, as he had many times as the attorney in Many Civil Suits. Basically an Ambulance Chaser. Big $$$
Yup. He, unlike most murder defendants, was very comfortable talking in front of a jury. I am always interested in why a murder defendant decides to take the stand, sometimes against their attorney's advice, because it is rare when they chose to do this.

Defense attorney Dick Harpootlian stood by putting Alex Murdaugh on the stand during the trial.

"There was no choice, because he had been made out to be a monster ... he had to try to push back on that," Harpootlian said. "Without taking the stand, he was toast."

"He had to take the stand to explain the video," he said, referring to the cellphone video placing Alex Murdaugh at the scene minutes before the murders.

Harpootlian said the prosecution focused on Alex Murdaugh's character, casting him as a thief and a liar.
"This jury had to think he was a despicable human being and not to be believed. So it was about character, wasn't about motive," he said.

Harpootlian said he wouldn't change anything about how the defense presented its case.
Harpootlian said the defense will file an appeal in 10 days.

No doubt, if Mr Murdaugh hadn’t confessed during direct questioning from his defence team, he would have faced a grilling by prosecutors about why he lied about being at the kennels that night.

Mr Murdaugh was confronted by his defence attorney Jim Griffin about the murders and his fake alibi as soon as he took the stand.

Last edited:
In regards to SLED/the investigation itself - I agree it appears pretty botched for lack of a better word. However, I think (IMO) that Alex did everything he possibly could to contaminate the scene before LE even arrived. Aside from obtaining a search warrant on his mother's home sooner, I'm not sure what else could have been uncovered.

I wholeheartedly, and without a single shred of doubt, believe that Alex murdered Maggie and Paul and he did it all by himself. Therefore DNA, footprints, fingerprints, GSR, blood traces - all of it is basically a moot point in this investigation as far as I'm concerned, because he admittedly contaminated the scene by touching both victims, driving his car immediately after, grabbing a gun from inside the house and walking all over the scene. His DNA, their blood, and GSR could have been found in any place at that residence, or on the victims and it could've been explained away by his actions between 10:05PM and when LE arrived on the scene at 10:25PM.

The only thing that I believe DNA/footprints/fingerprints/etc could have possibly done is include another suspect. But I don't think it ever would have excluded Alex.

All JMO.

Even if family were walking around the crime scene - it’s LE’s responsibility to secure a crime scene anyway. You don’t just throw your hands up and leave the scene unsecured. I believe we have the correct and right verdict, but there were mistakes made that I hope will be fixed so that justice can continue to prevail.
Hopefully, the stranglehold that this family held over justice in the 14th circuit has crumbled and LE will be able to do its job without fear of the family (or will be deprived of whatever incentives the family provided).

One thing that struck me during sentencing was Buster’s expressions. They seemed to go from defiance to slightly smiling to a flat out smirk. I haven’t seen all of the footage from the trial, but had not noticed those expressions before.

AM’s guilt was sealed for me after seeing the body cam footage from officers at the scene the night of the murders. The only thing he was interested in was establishing an alibi, from the very first moments they encountered him. Not something that an innocent person who was distraught about the loss of his family would even be thinking about.

MOO I don't know what BM does for a living.

Alex also wanted right away to plant the seed to SLED that the killings were related to the boat crash.

I was hoping RM would step to Buster's side to offer a fatherly shoulder but it seems RM wants nothing to do with this tragedy. JJM and Buster seemed close during the trial but they weren't together when the verdict came in so that was noted.

It is possible that shock and trauma, PTSD, has kept Buster from being able to either complete law studies or pursue gainful and fulfilling employment. Perhaps he needed for the trial to end so he could gather remaining pieces of his life and begin creating new memories without his parents and brother beside him. We expect most men to be strong Alpha Males when they're only humans.

It is my hope that with funds from selling Moselle, along with whatever generosity the M family sees fit to extend to Buster will be taken and carefully used to spend a modest but honest life near the ocean with peace. Get married. Raise a family.

Oh I missed this!?

I wonder if Alex wanted a speedy trial (usually clients waive that right so their defense can properly go through evidence and present a good defense) so they couldn't really dig up any other dirt, they had to roll with what they had. We didn't need to know how he got rid of the guns, the clothing, etc to know he did it. So I hope they do investigate because I really am not sure what I think of him having help after the fact. I am pretty sure I don't believe he had help before or during, but I don't know if anyone knew about it before hand and I am leaning more toward he did tell someone after and it's possible they either unknowingly or knowingly disposed of things for him. I'm sure he has a lot of things he can hang over those he associates with as blackmail or insurance they will comply or maybe even no questions asked deals he has worked with people. You scratch my back I'll scratch yours.

I would start by looking heavily at those calls he made that day. Who did he call and when. Then look at the movements of those people that day.. not only where they were but why were they there. I see some questionable things.
DEF.

Yes! Randy wasn't there because he knows better…smarter…he understood. IMO, everyone knows when you have a relative who is deceitful, untrustworthy, and trouble. You don’t admit it to the world outside, but you know. Randy knows. JJM was used because he couldn’t, avoided the reality. He knows. Buster knows. That’s why none of them spoke today. They could not betray Maggie and Paul. I give credit to them for that. AM screwed so many people over. Spiritually. The judge gave him a chance today to free them all. As usual, he just lied.
Moo I think they all knew. Don't fall for the JJM nice guy routine. There are companies who clean bio hazard scenes. Its not an LE job. If JJM cleaned it up it was so he could play his feel sorry for me card. He could afford to hire it done. Moo Murdaughs should get an academy award.

Oh I missed this!?

I wonder if Alex wanted a speedy trial (usually clients waive that right so their defense can properly go through evidence and present a good defense) so they couldn't really dig up any other dirt, they had to roll with what they had. We didn't need to know how he got rid of the guns, the clothing, etc to know he did it. So I hope they do investigate because I really am not sure what I think of him having help after the fact. I am pretty sure I don't believe he had help before or during, but I don't know if anyone knew about it before hand and I am leaning more toward he did tell someone after and it's possible they either unknowingly or knowingly disposed of things for him. I'm sure he has a lot of things he can hang over those he associates with as blackmail or insurance they will comply or maybe even no questions asked deals he has worked with people. You scratch my back I'll scratch yours.

I would start by looking heavily at those calls he made that day. Who did he call and when. Then look at the movements of those people that day.. not only where they were but why were they there. I see some questionable things.
I was talking to family in UK and my brother wondered if they checked RM3's gravesite! He was buried within days of the murders and I believe it was on the same date of his funeral that AM showed up with the raincoat and took it upstairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
0maj0