GUILTY SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #40

Status
Not open for further replies.

worm

Reaction score
Not much on this yet but I got it on yahoo and foxcarolina.com. This mother and son were found near a dog kennel on their property in Colleton County SC. Their family has a long history of connections to the legal system in the Lowcountry and the son, who was murdered, was currently facing charges in a boating accident causing death.

2 Murdaugh family members shot, killed in Colleton County SC homicide

APPROVED LOCAL SOURCES:
FITSNEWS
The Island Packet

APPROVED PODCASTS:
Murdaugh Murders by Mandy Matney
Impact of Influence - The Murdaugh Family Murders

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15 Thread #16
Thread #17 Thread #18 Thread #19 Thread #20 Thread #21 Thread #22 Thread #23 Thread #24 Thread #25 Thread #26 Thread #27 Thread #28 Thread #29 Thread #30 Thread #31 Thread #32 Thread #33 Thread #34 Thread #35 Thread #36 Thread #37 Thread #38 Thread #39

Last edited by a moderator:
MOD NOTE:

When referring to the attorneys, officials or other trial members, please use their names or initials. Let’s not assign them nicknames. Thanks a ton!!

The father of boat crash victim Mallory Beach refused to shake hands with Alex Murdaugh's family in court after the legal scion was sentenced to life in prison for the murders of his wife and son - and claimed 'justice has been served.'

< >

He was in court on Friday to watch Alex's sentencing for the 2021 shooting murder of his son Paul and wife Maggie at their South Carolina estate.

Beach was sitting at the back of the courtroom during the hearing on Friday when Murdaugh's brother John Marvin attempted to shake his hand. But Beach refused, telling him: 'I have nothing to say to you.'

Father of Mallory Beach snubs Alex Murdaugh's family in court

How could what Judge Newman said at sentencing create grounds for appeal? The jury had already found him guilty, there was no one to influence? However, I was a little surprised by some of what he said. Maggie and Paul visiting; asking what Alex meant by the tangled web comment, etc.

I appreciated this Judge immensely, he kept the courtroom in order at all times. His demeanor was humble, yet firm.
I found myself wishing he had also presided over another high profile SC case - Heather Elvis. Could you imagine what he would have said to Tammy Moorer at sentencing?
I love this judge and I don't think he did anything wrong with his remarks. I think he was amazing, calm and measured and in full control of his court during the trial.

I did see some people in L and C chat complaining, saying it showed the judge was biased and unfair, and it hurt AM's chances for a fair trial. etc etc.....I disagree because I think the judge followed the legal precedents and was impartial in his rulings.

But some of the complaints were that the judge ,allowing in the prior bad acts , unfairly prejudiced the jury against the defendant.

Oh my gosh, that last statement - there were a few of these type of statements

This is why killers might be well advised to take some acting classes before embarking on complex double murder screen plays

They need to learn their actual material and stay in character. How does their character feel a about what is happening to them? This is entirely missing.

No MD

What md has a license that could withstand writing that amount of prescription opiods for long. Plus, what pharmacy is filling these "prescriptions"? Where EXACTLY were these drugs coming from? Pure, high quality, unlaced,thousands of oxy????
If you got the cash, crooked doctors are fairly easy to find

Prince was an accidental overdose, the med he took was laced with fentanyl and he had no way of knowing that. Michael Jackson did propofol, which is used to put patients under for surgery. Different scenarios.
Well, my understanding is Prince was ever waiting for his script to be filled that evening at the pharm. No arguments from me, but no one will tell me that there was any medical reason Micheal had a reason for home Propofol. None. That is an anesthetic. That “dr” should have been jailed, jmo. I don’t wish at all to have any argument at all with any of you all bc I enjoy you all, but I draw the line on some things and I guess this is this, lol.

Well, my understanding is Prince was ever waiting for his script to be filled that evening at the pharm. No arguments from me, but no one will tell me that there was any medical reason Micheal had a reason for home Propofol. None. That is an anesthetic. That “dr” should have been jailed, jmo. I don’t wish at all to have any argument at all with any of you all bc I enjoy you all, but I draw the line on some things and I guess this is this, lol.
The doctor was jailed for killing MJ, for a little while anyway. imo

Maggie's Mercedes had to be at the kennels. This was a great closing by John Meadors. He explains the prosecution's theory on the blue tarp/raincoat, where and when Alex hid the guns closer to the beginning.

@ 39:57 Meadors begins opining about Maggie's phone: she's at her car, messing with her rings, opens the text...

I now remember there was an evidence photo of her car parked at the house. Alex said he drove a golf cart back, but I suppose it could just as easy have been her car. Maybe easier.

Maggie's Mercedes had to be at the kennels. This was a great closing by John Meadors. He explains the prosecution's theory on the blue tarp/raincoat, where and when Alex hid the guns closer to the beginning.

@ 39:57 Meadors begins opining about Maggie's phone: she's at her car, messing with her rings, opens the text...

I find this highly convincing in respect of the rain jacket - if one follows the correct process for analysing circumstantial evidence (as per the prosecutor)

The risk is always henpecking and speculating away circumstantial evidence one piece at a time, rather than considering the big picture. Oh maybe someone had been shooting previously with this raincoat.

Of course one can always come up with speculative reasons to explain away each piece of evidence in isolation, but one must consider first what has been established as a fact before asking what inferences we can make

In this case, the prosecutor notes that it was factually established that the accused took something blue to the parents' house and the raincoat with GSR was recovered when police went and searched for such an object. It is these facts together that are critical.

Speculating about when the GSR got on the raincoat is not the point. The point is this is a very strange thing for the accused to doing on days after the murder if he cannot reasonably account for it.

Once a juror finds that the witness did in fact see AM delivering the blue jacket, and (implicitly) stashing it in the closet - this is a disastrous set of facts for the accused.

WALTERBORO, S.C. (FOX News) - Alex Murdaugh's defense lawyers told reporters Friday their client was getting hit with life behind bars even if "Mother Teresa" begged for leniency at his sentencing.

A reporter asked Dick Harpootlian and Jim Griffin at a press conference outside the Colleton County Courthouse why Buster Murdaugh didn't plead with Judge Clifton Newman to go easy on his father.

None of Murdaugh's family members addressed the court.

"We could have had Mother Teresa up there speaking on behalf of Alex at sentencing, but he was getting a double life sentence. That was expected," replied Griffin, flanked by the rest of the defense team. "Judge Newman, he is a very stringent punisher when it comes to crimes and sentences. That was never in dispute."

[…]

There was a lot of effort by the state to convince the family that Alex is a murderer," the attorney said. "After six weeks of trial, they came away more convinced that he did not do this, and they steadfastly are in his camp and support him. That’s where they stand."

Murdaugh's sister, Lynn Murdaugh Goette, his brother John Marvin Murdaugh and Buster sat in the gallery as Newman delivered his withering commentary. Alex Murdaugh's brother, Randy Murdaugh, however, was noticeably absent.

[…]

Alex Murdaugh faced life sentence for murder even if 'Mother Teresa' begged for mercy: defense
Somehow I don't believe that AM's family is fully believing in his innocence and steadfast in their support. That sounds like typical defense attorney crapola to me. :rolleyes:

I have seen cases where families stood by in total support---and they took the stand in an effort to mitigate the penalty and to publicly show their loved one their total support.

I've seen grown kids who support their parents, even when that parent allegedly killed the other parent. And grandparents who have stood by their children, even when they are accused of killing the grandchild. And these family members who believe their loved ones are innocent will publicly proclaim that belief. JMO

What's interesting is the jury, cloistered from endless handwringing from TV defence lawyers, saw this as an overwhelming case and appeared to take the natural and obvious 'route one' to a guilty verdict

The accused was simply unable to explain away his fake alibi and lies.

I think there is a trap of speculating into existence yet more theories that the defence themselves don't seriously advance. Especially the vigilante theory. How shall law enforcement investigate something that was 100% invented by the accused immediately after the shooting? But then the defence advance yet another theory that it was the drug associate?

The way to disprove this stuff, is to follow the evidence.

Yes that is exactly what I was saying.....propofol is only used by physicians during surgery, I think you misunderstood what I had said. Sadly, Prince also got ahold of pain meds from a friend that were laced with fentanyl.

Did you get that backwards? JMM could not get to the courthouse in time for the verdict on Thursday night (he asked if they would wait but Judge said no) -- he missed the verdict. JMM *was* there for the sentencing. RM was not present for either, as you stated. Just what I observed on livestream.

Added: Sorry -- didn't mean to pile on. I see several folks have mentioned the reversal! (We all do it. :D )
JMM may have been waiting outside because he didn’t get there in time - which is why he was seen.

Must be what happens when they take away your pens, your Vinryard Vines, your Sperry's, your Gooseys and your toupee.
Every single possession you’ve amassed during your entire life is gone. Imagine living a life of privilege your entire life like AM. Where you had “people “ to do everything for you. Now he literally has nothing - not even hair.

If you got the cash, crooked doctors are fairly easy to find
Yeap!!! Working in mental health, many clients would sell their 180 oxi (monthly limit) for $150-$200 each. This funded lotto, eating out, alcohol, marijuana, cable TV, transportation, etc. They lived on 750. disability benefit.

Another good source for illegal oxi, Assisted Living with Veterans. VA does auto ship by mail. ALs "waste" unused oxi, each month. Easy access to 1000s of pills each month.

Those that can afford prescription oxi have many sources available.

Yes, pill mills still exist, nationwide.

All my opinion only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member