GUILTY SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree.

I just wish so many people didn't receive their jury summons with a groan... it's an important duty for everyone. I feel everyone should, if at all possible, serve on a jury. Since the pay, food, parking costs, etc. are often poor, sub-par, and/or problematic, I think employers should compensate their employees if at all possible.

jmo
It's great and it's our duty...but when I was freelancing and had to get my work done after I got home from a day on a jury, it was a financial burden. If I were a full-time staff person, it would have been a bit less of a burden. But I'd get up early to get a few hours of work in, subway downtown, do my best to make sure justice was served, then subway home and work for another few hours. $40 per day, received weeks later, isn't optimal and it screws over people who freelance or who depend on tips for their income.

When I watched the sentencing I was struck with a touch sadness. As I listened to Judge Newman deliver his closing statement, it dawned on me that he may have known AM since he was a teenager. How he may have watched AM grow up in some ways. How CW went to college with AM. ALL of these guys have interacted with each other on a personal level outside of this courtroom. Talk about the 7 degrees of separation. They knew AM's dad! It was the most personal trial I've ever watched. Most judges/ lawyers/ defendants etc in these cases don't know each other at all on a personal level. It had to have been bitter sweet. At the end they were shaking hands and patting each other on the back. AM will never be a part of their brotherhood ever again. To know this man walked, talked and laughed among them must have been chilling.

Initially I think yes...Owens was definitely onto AM but the feeling seemed to be that they were extending "professional courtesies" to AM based on past relationships....a high number of powerful attorneys at the crime scene etc. But they took their time really acting on it. Letting them all gather in the house which should have been sealed off etc.
Is that called a double blind?

Barricading the property from the beginning would look like tunnel vision. Police making a mistake.
Letting the grieving community gather at the house was criticized. Police again making a mistake.

Sounds like police were observing rather than acting within the 72 hours after the murders.

I had seen references to AM's great grandfather's accidental death at a youngish age, and that he was the 'founding father' of the Murdaugh Low Country legal dynasty, but I didn't know any details... Apples falling from trees... jmo

"The elder Murdaugh's son, Randolph "Buster" Murdaugh Jr., sued the train company alleging the train did not blow the whistle or ring a bell at the crossing and was traveling at high speed. He also alleged that the crossing and its approach "was in a rough, washed out and dangerous condition" and demanded a $100,000 settlement. The case of settled out of court for an undisclosed amount. "

Alex Murdaugh's murder case led a historian to uncover another suspicious Murdaugh family death from the 1940s that resulted in a huge payout

wow ...

I think the juror nailed it:

Data placed both AM's phone and vehicle at the crime scene but more important, AM's voice placed AM there!

A phone and vehicle could be placed at the crime scene by anyone but AM's voice sealed it for him.

As it should everybody. JMO
DBM. The crossing paths happened again.

And yet Dick seemed to be clueless with a gun in his hands or talking about guns, someone else should have done that part.
He was pretty much tottering while clueless and looked like by the end of the day he could use three of four stiff drinks. Morning still found him tottering while clueless but at that hour he added the charm of seeming very hungover. And we can't forget his daily reminders of his age. I found him obnoxious.

I agree with you 100% about the size of that settlement. My gosh, that just seems so inadequate given those physical injuries and the emotional trauma of the whole experience.
My understanding was that he received compensation for the boat accident injury to his jaw alongside the other 5 victims, plus he received and extra $100k for the false accusation.

He was pretty much tottering while clueless and looked like by the end of the day he could use three of four stiff drinks. Morning still found him tottering while clueless but at that hour he added the charm of seeming very hungover. And we can't forget his daily reminders of his age. I found him obnoxious.
The DH gun stunt started when Harpootlian was about to question a witness and said 'wait a minute, I shouldn't point a gun at you'. He then walked to the witness, stood beside him, pointed the gun at the prosecution, the prosecution reacted, and DH said something like tempting (not sure). I don't think he was clueless. Intimidation. They all shook hands when it was over - no hard feelings.

It's great and it's our duty...but when I was freelancing and had to get my work done after I got home from a day on a jury, it was a financial burden. If I were a full-time staff person, it would have been a bit less of a burden. But I'd get up early to get a few hours of work in, subway downtown, do my best to make sure justice was served, then subway home and work for another few hours. $40 per day, received weeks later, isn't optimal and it screws over people who freelance or who depend on tips for their income.

I was doing free-lance work at the time BUT my husband had a great job and we had a family member who provided free childcare. So my situation was very different. I think there are more single income homes these days and also the cost of living is crazy... which makes it financially impossible... in those (and your) circumstances I totally understand being unable to serve on a jury. I'm just more "judgey" about some professionals who can afford to serve but just don't want to be bothered. I hope that makes sense.

The cell phone and car data put him at the Moselle house which is about a 1/2 mile away from the kennels. He could have claimed that he misremembered the time he woke from his nap and left the property.

It's the kennel video that's the kicker though. It proves without any doubt that he was standing right next to his wife and son shortly before they were murdered. With that video he can no longer blame a poor memory and had to admit he lied to the investigators.
Interestingly enough when he spoke with the officers in the SUV he said at min 3:24 - 3:33 (-31:12) “his (Paul’s) cellphone popped out of his pocket. I started to try to do something with it, thinking maybe but then i put it back down really quickly”.

I don’t know about you, but I think that was one of AM’s confession’s. I beleve that Alex was trying to get into Paul’s phone because he knew that around that time, Paul was texting his friend and and he needed to erase any evidence that may have been on Paul’s phone.

I was doing free-lance work at the time BUT my husband had a great job and we had a family member who provided free childcare. So my situation was very different. I think there are more single income homes these days and also the cost of living is crazy... which makes it financially impossible... in those (and your) circumstances I totally understand being unable to serve on a jury. I'm just more "judgey" about some professionals who can afford to serve but just don't want to be bothered. I hope that makes sense.

I don't know, what "professionals" do you think shouldn't be excused? Doctors? Teachers? Air plane pilots?

There is a broad stroke made. And it is too bad that they don't accept volunteers. My Mom does nothing all day, she could miss a few golf lessons.

I believe the juror removal was a Divine stamp of fulfillment foretold by the presence of the number 3. She spoke to 3 people. SLED investigated 3 days. 3 attorneys on closings. The jury began deliberations within the 3 o'clock hour on the third day of the third month. 3 hours of deliberation. The verdict was righteous.
jmo

3-3-2023
Third month too and in the year ending with 3.

I don't know, what "professionals" do you think shouldn't be excused? Doctors? Teachers? Air plane pilots?

There is a broad stroke made. And it is too bad that they don't accept volunteers. My Mom does nothing all day, she could miss a few golf lessons.

Actually, I knew at least one doctor who could have missed a few golf outings to do jury duty. ;)

I didn't say ALL.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 1677985146565.png
    1677985146565.png
    620.6 KB · Views: 10
I wish BM & JMM would’ve been asked when AM told them that he was at the kennels. (Not sure if they would’ve told the truth or not though.) I wonder about that whole conversation between AM & all of the family members. The lawyers obviously knew right before trial but probably not much sooner than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member