4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 74

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to know when he acquired the gun. Did CK possess it during the time of the crimes?
This gun? Glock 22 Gen S. 40 Caliber serial #BMXVSQI

The first so many items listed on the returned warrant are:

Knife
Book with underlining on page 118
AT&T bill for Bryan C. Kohberger
Glock 22 Gen S. 40 Caliber serial #BMXVSQI
Smith & Wesson pocket knife
Folder containing vehicle paperwork
Acer laptop

This group of stuff seems to belong together; from a certain location, found in the same area. Perhaps they're items from a dresser, desktop or inside a drawer. The folder containing paperwork on his vehicle shows he's cognizant of ownership and keeping important docs. So, he possibly keeps that imp paper stored with the Glock and S&W knife? Book, pg 118 and laptop are perhaps kept on top of his furniture.

LE scooped a lot of black colored clothing type items. What does the sum of all parts tell us? Was he a cat burglar by night for kix? This links to the inventory kindly drafted by @I'm Nobody
4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 74

The DA needs to place BK inside that 1122 house for trial and not just have his phone data indicating a white car's circling around the blocks and stopping near 1122 for a few minutes.

Do we know if the DNA on the knife sheath is from Tdna? Touch DNA can happen along at anytime at any place. moo
There are lots of things the public would like to know, but LE is not sharing to protect the integrity of the investigation and additionally since the gag order has been in place. moo

How a family tree and DNA identified Idaho murder suspect Bryan Kohberger​

Detectives sent DNA to a private lab in one of the first cases of using genealogy to solve a hot case​

I love how the reporter says the use of Genealogy DNA wasn't mentioned on the PCA because LE doesn't want people to stop using the DNA services. Yet, she's telling you exactly how they used it. One of many reasons people are okay with excluding the media from official information.

MOO his DNA in the house next to the corpse of victim on a knife sheath is stand alone sufficient.
His DNA on the sheath, depending on how it got there, may be hard to explain. However, that sheath being there does not mean he was there that night. Many would make that connection, but that isn't the only way the sheath could have gotten there. if there is no other DNA, that is a point the defense may use to inject doubt.

His DNA on the sheath, depending on how it got there, may be hard to explain. However, that sheath being there does not mean he was there that night. Many would make that connection, but that isn't the only way the sheath could have gotten there. if there is no other DNA, that is a point the defense may use to inject doubt.

No direct evidence places him there but definitely circumstantial evidence does. Circumstantial evidence is all they need for a conviction.

For the preliminary hearing the evidence doesn't have to be "beyond a reasonable doubt" so it will be interesting to see how AT tries to minimize this DNA evidence.This hearing will give a taste of what her trial defense will be.

The destruction of parents' home - that's on him, never LE.
Unless of course, he isn't guilty. I've seen the aftermath of a SWAT raid on a house. The person they were looking for no longer lived there and the owners were left with holes in their walls, broken windows and doors. Totally unnecessary.

<modsnip - quoted post and response removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
gliving, here is an interesting article which may support your viewpoint more than it does mine.

It does not imply a lot of insider knowledge, although Chris Swecker, former head of FBI’s CID claims that "there was a hit to his paternal line" in the database of one of the private genealogy companies.

I’m guessing that if he had actual first hand knowledge that that was the case that he could not have shared that in an interview. I also think it would be fairly easy to confuse a hit on the paternal line as being genealogical when it was actual a paternity test.

The part that interests me comes from Cece Moore whom I have a lot of respect for. She said “his case would have been a very difficult one to unravel” and “unless they got really lucky and got a close match, which I doubt, they probably were working day and night on this."

She also says that if genetic genealogy was used on this case that it “would not be unusual“ for it to not be mentioned in the probable cause affidavit.
"...there was a hit to his paternal line" in the database"

@Nichevo Hi. I want to strongly concur with this part of the statement, in particular, please, although there is no link. It's moo.

Are we to assume the DNA from the sheath matched DNA discovered in the K's outdoor trash or trash of their neighbors? I beg to differ but it's omho. Were there more than a few skin cells present on the button of the sheath?

It's spooky to think of BK dressed in black, head to toe, while wearing gloves, probably a black mask and slinking around in the dark night in his childhood neighborhood messing with other people's stuff. Who the Whiskey Tango Hotel creeps around like that at night? He's off his rocker, as my Gma would say.

DEC 15, 2022, BK and company were pulled over by Indiana SP while headed to PA.
DEC 30, 2022 BK arrested at parental units' home in PA

DNA was first reported 05 JAN 23 which was documented in the PCA by Det Brett Payne.
Probable cause affidavit in case of University of Idaho murders released

JAN 5, 2023 - just days after his DEC 30 arrest
Male DNA left on a knife sheath was used to link a then-doctoral student in Washington state with the slayings of four University of Idaho students in November
— and a surviving roommate came basically face-to-face with him the night of the killings, according to court documents unsealed Thursday.
DNA left on knife sheath used to link Bryan Kohberger with Idaho slayings, affidavit shows

Who does BK think he is? There Is No Perfect Crime
JAN 6, 2023

"Well, several things stand out because they come together like a puzzle," O'Toole said while appearing on CNN's Anderson Cooper 360. "And the first thing is that we've all been commenting on the fact that here's a Ph.D. [student] studying in criminology, and he left behind a very significant piece of evidence from which they were able to extract DNA."
Former FBI agent explains what "stands out" in Bryan Kohberger affidavit

BTK and Golden State Killer both held degrees in Criminal Justice
Did his education have a bearing on his willingness to kill?
JAN 14, 2023

Criminology professor: Bryan Kohberger's education wouldn't have helped him commit Idaho murders

MOO not everything is going to be on TV, his TDNA has no business on the carrying case for a fighting knife, next to a victim who in her own bed in her own home was knifed to death
(I am honestly not being pedantic, I just was very confused, and then I realized what had happened)
Tdna or TDNA is transfer DNA, but it is actually DNA of a tumor-inducing plasmid that comes from certain bacteria and is used in Biotechnology. Although it is called transfer DNA it is not the DNA that is being used in this case.
I know you are probably shaking your head, saying no one cares ;) but I thought i'd give a mini TED talk on a boring Saturday night.
Transfer DNA - Wikipedia
ETA: Link in case anyone is interested
ETAA: Graduate in Biotechnology

Last edited:
I'd imagine that the prosecution will have several other ways of putting him at a scene where he had no business being when the murders took place if they have a solid case. DNA plus circumstantial evidence could equal a steep uphill battle for the defense. It looks that way already simply based on what little authorities released thus far. JMO

@Nichevo Hi. I want to strongly concur with this part of the statement, in particular, please, although there is no link. It's moo.

Are we to assume the DNA from the sheath matched DNA discovered in the K's outdoor trash or trash of their neighbors? I beg to differ but it's omho. Were there more than a few skin cells present on the button of the sheath?

It's spooky to think of BK dressed in black, head to toe, while wearing gloves, probably a black mask and slinking around in the dark night in his childhood neighborhood messing with other people's stuff. Who the Whiskey Tango Hotel creeps around like that at night? He's off his rocker, as my Gma would say.

DNA was first reported 05 JAN 23 which was documented in the PCA by Det Brett Payne.

Male DNA left on a knife sheath was used to link a then-doctoral student in Washington state with the slayings of four University of Idaho students in November
— and a surviving roommate came basically face-to-face with him the night of the killings, according to court documents unsealed Thursday.
DNA left on knife sheath used to link Bryan Kohberger with Idaho slayings, affidavit shows

JAN 6, 2023

"Well, several things stand out because they come together like a puzzle," O'Toole said while appearing on CNN's Anderson Cooper 360. "And the first thing is that we've all been commenting on the fact that here's a Ph.D. [student] studying in criminology, and he left behind a very significant piece of evidence from which they were able to extract DNA."

JAN 14, 2023

Criminology professor: Bryan Kohberger's education wouldn't have helped him commit Idaho murders
Not sure I am following your thoughts completely. IMO THE DNA in the garbage, which was actually left in the neighbors bin, belonged to BK’s father. The testing that linked him to the DNA on the knife sheath was essentially a paternity test revealing he was (most likely) the father of the person who left DNA on the knife sheath. JMO

No direct evidence places him there but definitely circumstantial evidence does. Circumstantial evidence is all they need for a conviction.

For the preliminary hearing the evidence doesn't have to be "beyond a reasonable doubt" so it will be interesting to see how AT tries to minimize this DNA evidence.This hearing will give a taste of what her trial defense will be.
Why isn't the knife sheath found on the bed next to MM direct evidence of the crime of murder?

Indirect evidence:
Physical evidence
Forensic evidence
Blood evidence
Fingerprint evidence
Shoe print evidence

Direct evidence:
Is when someone testifies they saw the person commit a crime, or heard someone say something, or observed certain acts take place related to the crime.

Will DM be able to testify to observing certain acts such as the person walking past her to get to the slider? If so, that'd be direct evidence.

Both direct and circumstantial evidence, or a combination of the two, can be used to convict a person of a crime.

Yeah, I don't want to rush through Spring, or any such thing, bc I love life but I'm eager for June's PH.

Not sure I am following your thoughts completely. IMO THE DNA in the garbage, which was actually left in the neighbors bin, belonged to BK’s father. The testing that linked him to the DNA on the knife sheath was essentially a paternity test revealing he was (most likely) the father of the person who left DNA on the knife sheath. JMO
@DeDee, the article you linked by (edit, Erik, not David) Ortiz does a great job of describing the DNA as I understand it, JMO. Thanks for that.

Scroll down to

Investigators hunt for DNA in trash​

Last edited:

JAN 6, 2023

JAN 14, 2023

Yes. Also of note is the Judge not wanting to sign off on the arrest affidavit until the trash DNA results came back.

On December 27, 2022, Pennsylvania Agents recovered the trash from the Kohberger family residence located in Albrightsville, PA. That evidence was sent to the Idaho State Lab for testing. On December 28,2022, the Idaho State Lab reported that a DNA profile obtained from the trash and the DNA profile obtained from the sheath, identified a male as not being excluded as the biological father of Suspect Profile. At least 99.9998% of the male population would be expected to be excluded from the possibility of being the suspect's biological father.

Based on the above information, I am requesting an arrest warrant be issued for Bryan C. Kohberger, (DOB) 1112111994, for Burglary at I 122 King Street in Moscow, Idaho, and two counts of Murder in the First Degree for the murders of Madison Mogen, Kaylee Goncalves, Xana Kemodle, and Ethan Chapin.

Too bad it didn't have a clip/loop to attach his sheath to. *tries not to roll my eyes at BK*

I think one has to be quite familiar with something like that before you would feel comfortable wearing it.

I’ve had mine for a number of years and consider it a very useful tool but find it bulky and not overly comfortable to wear it and I would certainly find wearing mine in a small car, very cumbersome.

I think one has to be quite familiar with something like that before you would feel comfortable wearing it.

I’ve had mine for a number of years and consider it a very useful tool but find it bulky and not overly comfortable to wear it and I would certainly find wearing mine in a small car, very cumbersome.
I bet it takes getting used to wearing. I imagine kind of starchy, unforgiving material?

I really wonder what his parents, any remaining friends (he doesn't sound like the most likeable fellow), siblings are thinking right now. I feel for his family so much. I just wonder if everyone's combing through their memories trying to see if they missed something with Bryan.

My sincere apologies are extended for I only meant for my original reply to your post to be my first statement written.
I concurred to this portion: "...there was a hit to his paternal line" in the database"

Guess I became tired and didn't compose two separate posts, that would've included all of the other stuff, when that's what should have been done.

I agree that it was DNA from the father's side of the family that matches the DNA on the sheath. We may disagree on how LE obtained the match, not w/ a paternity test, but maybe we'll learn for sure, one way or the other, the method used. I'm with CeCe Moore on this one.

"Investigators say the key in this case was a sample of DNA from the crime scene being compared to trash at the Kohberger's Pennsylvania home. They used DNA belonging to Kohberger's father to show a familial link, which led to Kohberger's arrest.

Genetic genealogist CeCe Moore told NewsNation she thinks there's probably more to the story than that, but it's likely investigative genealogy played a role."
How DNA led to the Kohberger arrest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member