GUILTY SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone really think that AM has revealed all his money and checking accounts and how would anyone know if he did or didn't? He's probably appointed his brother, JMM, as power of attorney, so JMM could close accounts, transfer money to other accounts, etc. There's no telling what fake business accounts AM had nor is there any way of knowing, imo.
I thought Buster was AMs POA, per their jailhouse conversations. I think JMM agreed to do caretaking of the Moselle property (maybe as Maggie’s personal rep since Moselle is her property).

But I’m not sure about any of this. Things are convoluted and may have changed.

Randy speaks ETA, and it is a must read.

On one hand, all the Murdaughs can be "diagnosed" as crooks...
But most Murdaughs don't condone murder.
I am not sure about "the truth" here......... but I do thing that Randy has a conscience.

From what I have read about Gloria's situation, I tend to agree with the previous posters who suggested that this might have been just an awful accident that Alex, in his predatory way, found an evil way to profit from. One thing I wasn't sure about though, has anyone read about who found Gloria on the stairs? Did it happen while Maggie and Paul were home, or did they arrive home to find her injured on the front steps? I haven't listened to the 911 call because everyone mentioned how cold both MM and PM seemed, I just didn't want to hear that.
I’m going to stick up for Paul on this. I don’t think either Maggie or Paul did anything to cause the fall. Maggie called 911, eventually giving the phone to Paul who was more close up, attending to Gloria. I totally understand Paul’s comment about “quit asking questions…”

Its a huge peeve of mine that many 911 operators do not immediately advise the caller that “help is now on the way. In the meantime, let me get more info to relay to first responders.” This ought to be the first thing they say in serious incidents to reassure the caller. Otherwise, the caller is unaware that help has already been dispatched and is on the way while 911 asks Q’s.

I don’t doubt that’s what Paul meant by his comment. He meant “stop wasting time and send someone now!” and I don’t blame him. His comment has been mischaracterized IMO. By all accounts, he adored Gloria.

The 911 call was at about 9:24 AM and both MM and PM were home. I recall it was earlier said that MM was still in bed.

Whether or not GS was coming to work as usual is unknown because it was important to AM that this was never reported as GS at work to avoid this being a Worker's Comp Claim (i.e., on-the-job accident).

During the trial, I recall one of the personal injury lawyers citing how blaming the dog for a fall is a slam-dunk owner negligence claim:

Who’s Liable for Falls Caused by Dogs?​

People of all ages are seriously injured every day from tripping over or being knocked down by dogs. Even friendly dogs can cause severe physical injuries by knocking over or tripping an unsuspecting person.

Remember that even when a friendly dog knocks you down, it’s still an attack. Failure of the dog owner to control their dog makes them liable, meaning legally responsible, for the injuries to the person who was knocked down.

The most common non-bite dog injuries are from falls.

Large dogs can cause falls by leaning against a person. All sizes of jumping dogs knock people over, and smaller dogs can easily trip a person by running between their legs or flopping down in the path of someone’s feet.

A bruised knee and torn pantyhose from tripping over a loose Yorkie at your cousin’s outdoor wedding won’t be much of a basis for an injury claim, especially if your treatment was limited to a couple of glasses of wine and a bag of frozen peas.

On the other hand, if Grandma tripped over the little dog and broke a hip, her injuries are serious and her damages substantial. Small children and the elderly are generally at higher risk of injury from non-aggressive dog attacks.

Who Pays for Your Injuries​

Negligence makes a dog owner responsible, or liable, for the injured victim’s damages. Damages include medical expenses, out-of-pocket costs, replacement services, lost wages, property damage, and pain and suffering.

[..]

Great reminder. We always keep pets in their own room when anyone comes over. Our housecleaner thinks that we have an "invisible" cat. Our dog was a big dope, more like a "bean bag chair" for kids...but you never know.

I’m going to stick up for Paul on this. I don’t think either Maggie or Paul did anything to cause the fall. Maggie called 911, eventually giving the phone to Paul who was more close up, attending to Gloria. I totally understand Paul’s comment about “quit asking questions…”

Its a huge peeve of mine that many 911 operators do not immediately advise the caller that “help is now on the way. In the meantime, let me get more info to relay to first responders.” This ought to be the first thing they say in serious incidents to reassure the caller. Otherwise, the caller is unaware that help has already been dispatched and is on the way while 911 asks Q’s.

I don’t doubt that’s what Paul meant by his comment. He meant “stop wasting time and send someone now!” and I don’t blame him. His comment has been mischaracterized IMO. By all accounts, he adored Gloria.
Agreed and for PM and MM to have been taken from the world this way. My father always reminded me to be gracious of what you say about the dead for your name will come up in someone's conversation after you pass and you would want it to pass with care across their lips as well.

I don't think I've ever heard the phrase AM said to his law partner, "I **** you up". But, while I'm not easily offended by language, something about that phrase just seems extra nasty. One thing seems fairly certain, AM really **** up his family name.

jmo

Randy speaks ETA, and it is a must read.

Fence-sitter Randy. He knows he did it, but he's trying to salvage his and his law firm's reputation by displaying some distance from Alex, so he's hoping to thread the needle between the blind loyalty of his siblings and outright condemnation.

Last edited:
There are so many layers to the financial fraud, and probably went on for decades. I am sure that the malpractice insurance provider for AM's former firm has a bunch of claims to be litigated. What a mess to figure out. I doubt AM is going to be very cooperative. He is in prison for life, what does he care about more litigation?!

Well, as our thread is getting long, I feel somewhat confident in opining that in this case, Alec Murdaugh will attempt to run some kind of prison group (buying people with commissary donations, other crap he'll do) PLUS he gets to go to court! Often! And for the next decade if he chooses!

Unlike your typical murderer, he gets to get in the van and go to court way more often. And see his family and use his waning mental faculties to be a pretend-lawyer and to explore his real new identity as criminal disbarred lawyer.

IMO.

I’ll let others offer input on this too, but on that particular call - it was the impression that the two on the call, now both sadly slain by the defendant, were somewhat devoid of concern or detached a bit from reporting it to the dispatch. MOO
as I recall Paul was very irritated in having to answer questions. He was rude.

Well that's good to hear. Like I said, I don't think they had anything to do with it, I think it was an accident that Alex decided to profit from. I asked about the "who found her" because there is a part of me that wonders if Alex was somehow more involved in the actual accident, only because of what we have learned about him during the trial. But like others have stated, causing someone to trip on the stairs isn't a very efficiant way of killing them, and it risks the obvious chance of the victim surviving and telling on you.

i don't question he "adored Gloria" but that 911 made it clear help was on the way and the questions were for the paramedics to help her.

Last edited:
Well that's good to hear. Like I said, I don't think they had anything to do with it, I think it was an accident that Alex decided to profit from. I asked about the "who found her" because there is a part of me that wonders if Alex was somehow more involved in the actual accident, only because of what we have learned about him during the trial. But like others have stated, causing someone to trip on the stairs isn't a very efficiant way of killing them, and it risks the obvious chance of the victim surviving and telling on you.

I agree that Paul adored Gloria and do not believe Paul (or Maggie) had anything to do with her death.

I do find it concerning/puzzling and of interest that Alec (according to the Netflix documentary) took out additional liability/personal injury insurance on the house just 2 months earlier. If he's behind her accident, there's absolutely no reason to believe he intended to killer her - just to create a claim (and put himself down as a claimant).

Something like that, anyway. I'm not an expert in the evil financial machinations of Alec Murdaugh.

I agree that Paul adored Gloria and do not believe Paul (or Maggie) had anything to do with her death.

I do find it concerning/puzzling and of interest that Alec (according to the Netflix documentary) took out additional liability/personal injury insurance on the house just 2 months earlier. If he's behind her accident, there's absolutely no reason to believe he intended to killer her - just to create a claim (and put himself down as a claimant).

Something like that, anyway. I'm not an expert in the evil financial machinations of Alec Murdaugh.
Why was Gloria afraid to tell MM about the pills she found? Why did she tell a kid like Paul? That’s odd to me. I would go to the adult.

i think one of the dogs that Buster is walking (the black lab) is from Moselle...I can't remember the name.

Grady was a black lab that was Maggie's. And on the day in Sept 2021 that John Marvin and Buster went to Moselle and were captured on video by a drone, you see Buster down at the kennels loading up a black dog. So, maybe it is Grady?

That's a great point. And it wouldn't be very difficult to "accidentaly" let the dogs out just as Gloria is coming up the stairs. That is really odd about the timing of that insurance policy.

I can't provide links, but my general impression, from reading here and there over the past couple of years is this, purely an opinion. Please edit if you have a link or date :

Feb 26, 2018 - Alex needed money ??
What date did he start the insurance policy for injured guests at Moselle?
I wonder whether police are checking where Alex's phone and truck were on the morning that Gloria tripped.
  • Two months (??) prior to Gloria's accident Alex obtained extra insurance for coverage in case someone had an accident on Moselle such that he was liable ??
  • Alex was at the house on the morning that Gloria arrived for work, or to pick up a cheque for someone else
  • Maggie and Paul were asleep, or in the house, at the time of the accident
  • Alex was not at Moselle at the time of the accident
  • Alex was close enough to Moselle that he arrived prior to EMS
  • Alex alone claims that Gloria was conscious long enough to blame the dogs, and then she was unconscious again
Did Alex have the same insurance policy at Moselle in 2015 when Stephen Smith was found in the middle of the road near Moselle? Maybe Stephen died at Moselle but it didn't look like an accident, so it was staged to look like he ran out of gas. Leaving him in the middle of the road still wearing his shoes eliminates run over by a car.

I wonder whether the broken ribs and blow to Gloria's head was a baseball bat blunt object injury, rather than a trip up over a dog and ending up at the bottom of the stairs. That suggests that the dog ran into her while she was walking up the steps. She knew the dogs all their lives. Why would they knock over the person who gave them food and water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clintbentwood