4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 74

Status
Not open for further replies.
The article is not quoting a named source, as you have indicated, to say the swab was 'on him when he was arrested', instead, it states:
"The warrant shows he had on him at the time: .... ONE CHEEK SWAB"

But the inclusion of the swab on the 'person' receipt is the same as the warrant shows on the receipt from the family home when it says 4 swabs, which we know were not collected from the home, but administered to BK and then taken/collected.

It seems to instead be the reporter's own interpretation, which seems to be different from others, as indicated by the quotes I posted upthread. Common sense seems to prevail, but perhaps this particular reporter was a little deficient in that regard, imho.
The article does seem to say the swab was on him. I agree it may be the reporter's incorrect assumption and incorrect reporting. There's a lot of that in this case as there often is in any case. But when there is a named source that is quoted in the article, it does imply that info about what BK had on him per the warrant came from him or the idea was reinforced during the interview.
JMO

I think it wasn't taken because... it was household trash. I'm sure they sorted through the trash to check for any items of evidentiary importance, but it really was just run-of-the-mill household trash.
Yes, but LE would no longer need DNA from trash bc they knew they could get an actual swab via warrant.

When BK's vehicle was stopped by LE on his way to PA, it looked to me as if the car was very dirty and had not been cleaned any time recently. I wonder why he wouldn't have washed his car thoroughly inside and out, long before arriving in PA?
He probably did- but driving that time of year messes up your car so fast- esp. on the interstate with trucks spraying you with slush and rainwater. I keep a VERY clean car- but my cross-country trip (Seattle to Indianapolis) with my daughter a few years back you would have thought I lived in it full-time by the time we got back after just three days on the road.

The article does seem to say the swab was on him. I agree it may be the reporter's incorrect assumption and incorrect reporting. There's a lot of that in this case as there often is in any case. But when there is a named source that is quoted in the article, it does imply that info about what BK had on him per the warrant came from him or the idea was reinforced during the interview.
JMO
This article you mention sounds like yet another example of a reporter wording something incorrectly.

The Warrant to search Bryan's person says:

The person of Bryan C KOHBERGER. dob 11/21/1994
• Blood or other bodily fluids or materials and items with blood or other bodily fluids or materials on, in, or near them;

This is standard wording in a "person" search warrant when they want to take a DNA sample from a suspect.​

So they took a swab from Bryan's cheek - his person - when they served the "person" search warrant on him.

2 Cents

Last edited:
JMO
The article is accompanied by a video of the prosecutor saying what he is quoted as saying in the article. When showing the video, even the news announcer (whom I believe is the same person whose name appears on the article, Nicole Walters) says, "the warrant shows he had on him at the time.. " and then goes on to list the items BK was wearing at the time, then finishes by saying, "and they took one cheek swab." (right around 1:30 in the video: Monroe County Officials Share New Details About Idaho Murder Suspect's Arrest)

He probably did- but driving that time of year messes up your car so fast- esp. on the interstate with trucks spraying you with slush and rainwater. I keep a VERY clean car- but my cross-country trip (Seattle to Indianapolis) with my daughter a few years back you would have thought I lived in it full-time by the time we got back after just three days on the road.
Yes, I can imagine.. but just going on memory, IIRC, it was pretty grimy on/around the exterior door handle(s), which wouldn't have been caused by that type of dirt. imo. That is the first thing I thought when I saw the video of his vehicle being stopped.

The article is accompanied by a video of the prosecutor saying what he is quoted as saying in the article. When showing the video, even the news announcer (whom I believe is the same person whose name appears on the article, Nicole Walters) says, "the warrant shows he had on him at the time.. " and then goes on to list the items BK was wearing at the time, then finishes by saying, "and they took one cheek swab." (right around 1:30 in the video: Monroe County Officials Share New Details About Idaho Murder Suspect's Arrest)
Thanks for the info. But IMO it shouldn't be necessary to spend time watching a video to correct what appeared in the text of the article accompanying the video. Maybe that's just me!

When BK's vehicle was stopped by LE on his way to PA, it looked to me as if the car was very dirty and had not been cleaned any time recently. I wonder why he wouldn't have washed his car thoroughly inside and out, long before arriving in PA?

On a road trip that goes from Pullman, WA, down through Idaho and into Utah, in winter, through SLC and Provo, it's entirely possible to start with a very clean car and end up with mud and ice frozen all along the car's lower body area (as seen in the car stop videos). While it wasn't super snowy in Indiana, crossing the Rocky Mountains from SLC to Lomo went over some high roads (possibly even requiring chains - but if not, certainly, there would have been a lot of slush on the road).

I thought the same thing at first, but then locals reminded me of what it's like in winter, in Utah. I remember how my car looked (pristine when we left St George; completely clumped with mud and ice when we arrived at our destination in central Utah). And it stayed frozen/muddy until we left Utah and didn't start to melt off until Vegas. And my car is a compact SUV that is up off the road - my friend's lower-riding car got the worst of it.

So I figure he did wash his car thoroughly back in Washington (but sometimes I wonder - he had to be very discreet about it).

IMO.

How did he manage his stray DNA while staying at a Comfort Inn? I'm beginning to doubt the DNA concealment slant. I think it might be a red herring.
I don't find the hiding DNA angle particularly sensical. Unless the FBI was sloppy with its surveillance, BK had no reason to feel obliged to conceal his DNA. They found used water bottles in his car; he wasn't hiding those. If he knew they were watching him, he'd also know that putting trash in the neighbor's bin would be noticed.

I don't find the hiding DNA angle particularly sensical. Unless the FBI was sloppy with its surveillance, BK had no reason to feel obliged to conceal his DNA. They found used water bottles in his car; he wasn't hiding those. If he knew they were watching him, he'd also know that putting trash in the neighbor's bin would be noticed.

How could the police be onto him and his superior intelligence????

LE would be looking at car washes and laundry mats. Washing the car in the apartment parking lot might draw attention. Do nothing to stand out. Don't take car where security cameras might be watching. Where could he go to vacuum it without being seen?

If he meticulously cleaned the sheath and missed his dna on the snap, then wore gloves: when opening the sheath snap, the dna on the snap would have transferred to his glove (or alternatively, maybe he accidentally touched his face with glove on and transferred dna to the snap when opening). Either way, the DNA would be on the glove and transfer to anything he touched (at least a few times). MOO

IMO the knife sheath was not dicarded. I alternate between accident or left on purpose, but accident is more likely I think.

edit: changed it to knife sheath

Yeh, I go back and forth on whether he intentionally left the knife sheath or accidentally left it.

If he had Dickies coveralls on, then those pockets are very deep and so I doubt it would fall out if placed in one.

If he intentionally left it there it was only because he wiped it (what he thought was) completely clean beforehand.. but left part of the snap uncleaned. He should have submerged it in alcohol.

Based on him allegedly putting his personal stuff in plastic bags in PA when being arrested, I think he is on level 5 of expert but not smart enough (no common sense) to know he screwed up level 1 already (drove own car, turned his phone on and off, did not buy a burner phone), etc. He's smart but dumb at the same time.

My question is what was he doing with his trash in WA? Most apartment residents have designated bins or maybe a dumpster for trash. BK was a POI by late November. Still going to class, still a TA, still at his apartment. If campus police or other LE saw him dispose of trash, wouldn't they have taken it sooner?
They probably did not have sufficient evidence at that time for warrants, so could not search his car, office, apartment or person. But they could have searched his trash (IMOO), if they'd seen him discard it. Small packages that could fit in pockets or backpack (disposed of on a run?) or casually left in a place not connected to him would make sense (men's restroom at store, restaurant, public venue)?

How did he manage his stray DNA while staying at a Comfort Inn? I'm beginning to doubt the DNA concealment slant. I think it might be a red herring.
This is a great question! We don't know if surveillance included LE checking in to the hotels (doubtful, IMO). Even so, they would not be able to search the rooms without a warrant, MOO. If the K's ate in the car, all their trash could remain in the car until back in PA, where BK is said to have cleaned the car meticulously.

He will soon have TWO death penalty qualified public defenders? With all the hoopla around possible recusal of AT (now moot) due to paucity of PDs so qualified in ID, I'm very curious why he needs another one, potentially doubling his cost of representation.

Why & any idea who - JL, possibly ?

MOO

He will soon have TWO death penalty qualified public defenders? With all the hoopla around possible recusal of AT (now moot) due to paucity of PDs so qualified in ID, I'm very curious why he needs another one, potentially doubling his cost of representation.

Why & any idea who - JL, possibly ?

MOO
I believe JL is already co counsel and a death penalty qualified co-counsel.
The motion and order are for an additional death penalty qualified co-counsel.
MOO

edit: added co-counsel to first sentence and added link

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads