SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton *Guilty* #41

Status
Not open for further replies.
I listened to Eric Tinsley talking with A. Levy on Law & Crime’s Side Bar (linked Thread #40) when he mentions that he believes Alec was beginning to plan the murders as far back as Dec. 2020? Has anyone read or heard where Eric elaborated on what evidence he has for that?

IMO, ET was likely basing this on his personal experience dealing with AM for about 9 months and realizing AM was personally exposed when his previous provider for the umbrella policy dropped him and AM replaced the policy with a product specific to hunting accidents (i.e., watercraft, aircraft exclusions).

Regarding AM not buying a life insurance policy for his wife and son before he killed them, what if he didn't on purpose because it would be too obvious (that's almost the first thing people and presumably LE think about when family members are murdered -- did another family member do it to collect the insurance money)?

I think killing MM and PM would be equally profitable for AM in other ways.

All the property and assets MM had/shared with AM with her will leaving everything to him would go to him = $millions (and would no longer have to be split with her 50/50 if she lived on and/or they divorced).

The lawsuit against PM regarding his actions causing the boating accident that killed Mallory Beach & injured others would "go away" if the accused did (and it did to a large degree, IMO), and there was originally = $millions at stake, IIRC, and the families in the lawsuit against Paul ended up settling for much, much less.

Or as another alternative, would the commercial insurance policy AM took out on Moselle (that covered GS's "accident") cover murdered family members on the property as well? Not at all sure about that part, just wondering if those types of deaths (murder) are ever covered under insurance policies on a "property" (Moselle) rather than a "person" (MM & PM).

All MOO
I was wondering about the commercial insurance coverage also. Maybe he didn't file a claim because behind the scenes, he was told that he was a suspect in their murders.

Here is Mark Tinsley's testimony at the hearing they did to decide if this testimony could come in. The following day he testified in front of the jury. This is where he mentions all the various dates and filings he did plus the interaction with Alex.

Can I confess I have a crush on this man? ;) I give high praise for his role in the prosecution of AM, and absolutely loved his almost casual style in dealing blows on cross! I could watch CW every day…..
More Creighton scoop: he’s married to an older woman. And I love his guitar solo in Already Gone.

I was wondering about the commercial insurance coverage also. Maybe he didn't file a claim because behind the scenes, he was told that he was a suspect in their murders.

I'm not sure where /when AM/MM's umbrella policy became known as a "commercial policy."

Commercial insurance is reserved for business, and an accident by your child and liability resulting from the child's or parents' negligence is personal, not commercial.

Generally, an individual should purchase umbrella insurance if the total value of their assets, including ordinary checking and savings accounts, retirement and college savings and investment accounts, and home equity is greater than the limits of their auto or homeowner's liability.

The insurance commission of every state determines the limit of liability in your insurance policy that places caps on the maximum payout per policy.

The same is true for:
  • Per-occurrence limits: The maximum amount an insurer will pay for a single event/claim.
  • Per-person limits: The maximum amount an insurer will pay for one person’s claims.
  • Combined limits: A single limit that can be applied to several coverage types.
  • Aggregate limits: The total amount that can be paid out for all claims during a period (often a year).
  • Split limits: A combination of per-occurrence, per-person, and aggregate limits.
The State of South Carolina's Insurance Commission linked below for homeowner's policy cites Comprehensive Personal Liability as an all-purpose liability policy, which follows you wherever you go-- with a few exceptions such as automobile and boating accidents.

How much umbrella insurance do you need?

Umbrella insurance provides excess liability coverage that goes above and beyond what your car and home insurance policies provide. It protects you and your assets if you face a large lawsuit.

Without personal umbrella coverage, you would have to pay out-of-pocket for any costs beyond your home or auto insurance limit. If you can’t pay, you could have a lien placed on your home. Your wages could be garnished, and your savings, retirement investments, and other assets might be up for grabs.

Types of Coverage in a Homeowner's Insurance Policy | Department of Insurance, SC - Official Website

How ironic on American Greed (CNBC) tonight was the story of Tom Girardi, the once-vaunted Los Angeles trial attorney - he has been indicted by federal grand juries in two states on fraud charges for allegedly swindling more than $18 million from clients who had endured severe injuries or tragic deaths of loved ones. It’s disgusting that people like Tom Girardi and AM are so greedy that they take advantage of people who really need someone to fight for them. Instead they help themselves to the settlement money to fund their lavish lifestyle. I truly hope AM faces a multitude of financial trials and his former clients recoup even a small portion of the money they were promised.

I agree so much more will be revealed regarding the finances and/or other nefarious activity. here's what baffles me: it is incredulous that the law firm did not have ONE account only where settlement money would be held in trust and then disbursed to the client....that AM and/or other lawyers were allowed to deposit settlement money outside of the control of the law firm. doesnt anyone else find that odd there were no controls within the law firm to keep track of how settlements were disbursed?

Yes this is a bit bizarre to me.

I have not done this kind of work since the 90s, but I do think there exists the possibility to create a shadow banking. So basically if the money does not enter the firms accounts in the first place, then the accounts team would not immediately discover the issue.

What would become hard to hide is that if a partner has lots of time recorded against the file of a court case, then that case achieves a settlement, he will recover his fees against the settlement monies. If those monies are diverted elsewhere, he can't bill his WIP on the file - so I think that would become a problem for anyone looking at the WIP reports if they knew that case had closed.

I wonder if there is a connection between Alec consistently stating he would never HURT Maggie or Paul, and Randy’s carefully saying he knows Alec knows more than he is saying about “what happened” June 7. My interest is in how they are both circling outside saying “murder.”
Here’s interesting part from article:

Over the next several months, as Alex Murdaugh was charged with stealing more than $8 million from the law firm and clients, Randy said he came to see his brother as a deeply flawed man and a liar. They have not spoken in nearly a year.

Randy said he also began to think back on Alex’s behavior in the first few weeks after the murders. At the time, it seemed like the police had few leads, and Randy began to call just about everyone he thought might help, asking if they had heard anything to suggest why Maggie and Paul might have been targeted. He passed on whatever he heard to the police.

“I spent considerable time, day after day for weeks on end, calling people,” he said. But Alex, he said, never did. Maggie’s sister testified at trial to the same effect, saying she found it odd that Alex never talked about who might have been the killer. He did tell her, she said, that he imagined whoever had done so had “thought about it for a long time.”
HAMPTON, S.C. — On the surface, the lives of Alex Murdaugh and his older brother Randy appeared to follow the same track: They were born two years apart, both went to the University of South Carolina for college and law school, and then the two worked as partners at the family firm that had grown out of the century-old law practice founded by their great-grandfather.

But even in college, it was clear they were different. Alex was briefly on the football team and a regular at college parties; Randy, a self-described “hometown boy,” would go back home to Hampton every weekend to hunt and fish. In recent years, their offices were close enough that Randy could hear his brother’s constant phone calls, but they rarely spent any time alone together.

“It’s not like there was some problem with our relationship, necessarily,” Randy Murdaugh said. “We just really weren’t alike, so we didn’t do stuff together.”

Here’s interesting part from article:

Over the next several months, as Alex Murdaugh was charged with stealing more than $8 million from the law firm and clients, Randy said he came to see his brother as a deeply flawed man and a liar. They have not spoken in nearly a year.

Randy said he also began to think back on Alex’s behavior in the first few weeks after the murders. At the time, it seemed like the police had few leads, and Randy began to call just about everyone he thought might help, asking if they had heard anything to suggest why Maggie and Paul might have been targeted. He passed on whatever he heard to the police.

“I spent considerable time, day after day for weeks on end, calling people,” he said. But Alex, he said, never did. Maggie’s sister testified at trial to the same effect, saying she found it odd that Alex never talked about who might have been the killer. He did tell her, she said, that he imagined whoever had done so had “thought about it for a long time.”

Interesting

They are always too busy in the showrunner role to remember to play their character

I thought AW was too much about reciting his own participation in the trial. “We worked really hard” wasn’t the appropriate thing to say. The last week of the trial he went to an evening event and was taking credit for his involvement in the trial. He should have let CW & crew be in the spotlight more. He talked too much and he fit the narrative of being a voted in politician.
Great Luna! A hateful creature, disparaging someone with special needs and women overall. MOO

I listened to Eric Tinsley talking with A. Levy on Law & Crime’s Side Bar (linked Thread #40) when he mentions that he believes Alec was beginning to plan the murders as far back as Dec. 2020? Has anyone read or heard where Eric elaborated on what evidence he has for that?
Mark Tinsley? or Eric Bland? I think that was Mark Tinsley, and he did not elaborate when I heard that bit.

Well, Alex himself said the killer had planned it for a long time. But that’s super creepy if it was 6 mos. Bad enough he did it at all, but it’s easier for me to think things came to a head and he cycled out of control quickly.

I'm not sure where /when AM/MM's umbrella policy became known as a "commercial policy."

Commercial insurance is reserved for business, and an accident by your child and liability resulting from the child's or parents' negligence is personal, not commercial.

Generally, an individual should purchase umbrella insurance if the total value of their assets, including ordinary checking and savings accounts, retirement and college savings and investment accounts, and home equity is greater than the limits of their auto or homeowner's liability.

The insurance commission of every state determines the limit of liability in your insurance policy that places caps on the maximum payout per policy.

The same is true for:
  • Per-occurrence limits: The maximum amount an insurer will pay for a single event/claim.
  • Per-person limits: The maximum amount an insurer will pay for one person’s claims.
  • Combined limits: A single limit that can be applied to several coverage types.
  • Aggregate limits: The total amount that can be paid out for all claims during a period (often a year).
  • Split limits: A combination of per-occurrence, per-person, and aggregate limits.
The State of South Carolina's Insurance Commission linked below for homeowner's policy cites Comprehensive Personal Liability as an all-purpose liability policy, which follows you wherever you go-- with a few exceptions such as automobile and boating accidents.

How much umbrella insurance do you need?

Umbrella insurance provides excess liability coverage that goes above and beyond what your car and home insurance policies provide. It protects you and your assets if you face a large lawsuit.

Without personal umbrella coverage, you would have to pay out-of-pocket for any costs beyond your home or auto insurance limit. If you can’t pay, you could have a lien placed on your home. Your wages could be garnished, and your savings, retirement investments, and other assets might be up for grabs.

Types of Coverage in a Homeowner's Insurance Policy | Department of Insurance, SC - Official Website

Could he have arranged for Moselle to be set up as a hunting club and therefore a commercial property? I’m just guessing, no idea. I’d think if there’s a loophole, AM is your guy to find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kelc3769