4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 74

Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears to me that they checked at least five potential sources (sales records) of knife?:

1. Amazon
2. Blue Ridge Knives
3. Ka-Bar
4. Walmart
5. eBay

If so I hope they got a hit for BCK. Wonder how the settled on BlueRidge Knives?

Admittedly just guessing and all MOO
I've seen them trace nylon back to factories, to suppliers, and then to retailers.

There's a good chance that something like a fastener, embossment, adornment, thread or leather type/quality/color of the leather allowed them/Ka-Bar to trace it back to Blue Ridge Knives. And Blue Ridge gave them their commercial customers.

This is not out of the realm of possibility. Manufacturers use a lot of different suppliers and warehouses to produce goods. Leather supply is constantly changing and you shop around based on quality (it's a hobby of mine). It's likely that they are able to tell year and month of production just by looking at the sheath.

MOO

That's an appreciated labor intensive post for the warrants, Isabella88. btw- You could go to the OG in the media thread and report it to the Mods by asking them to delete it. Then, post this updated version in the media thread.

It is intriguing the number of warrants issued for financial institutions for all 4 victims. Is it possible that any number of the warrants being returned as No Data Found? It's sorta freakin' me out that all 4 victims had the same affiliations with the same financial institutions.

Why would they have that commonality?
I wonder if Bank of America (BOA) is just very prominent on the west coast and in the Idaho area, and for the others maybe it is credit cards that gave students a good deal when they got the cards.

This happens a lot on university campuses. Many campuses also have a bank branch in a university's student union and is a sponsoring bank for many university activities - the university has a contract with this bank and so the bank has either a small branch office in the student union and/or a number of kiosks on campus, thus making it easier for students to access while on campus.

So maybe the BOA was the banking choice for the students, and the credit cards offered good deals to the students at the university and so they all applied for them. Many credit card companies target university campuses and offer special deals to students who sign up. Some states have passed laws to prohibit this targeting of students on campuses.

Edited to add: It's also possible that a credit union or local bank was used to help with rent and utility payments so that it would somehow make it easier to pay those joint bills if account was in some institution? Just speculation.

I've seen them trace nylon back to factories, to suppliers, and then to retailers.

There's a good chance that something like a fastener, embossment, adornment, thread or leather type/quality/color of the leather allowed them/Ka-Bar to trace it back to Blue Ridge Knives. And Blue Ridge gave them their commercial customers.

This is not out of the realm of possibility. Manufacturers use a lot of different suppliers and warehouses to produce goods. Leather supply is constantly changing and you shop around based on quality (it's a hobby of mine). It's likely that they are able to tell year and month of production just by looking at the sheath.

MOO

Good call @schooling! Also potentially they found a catalog?

Blue Ridge Catalog Request. IMO

Is it OK to post this link mods? Guess I better review rules.

Just to add (skip to the last sentence if you don't like reading)

I have an obsession with collecting Air Jordans. It's a nostalgia thing. Sometimes they'll release a small batch of a shoe to keep demand high. Other times they'll make 1,000,000 pairs for a Saturday release. They have about 800 factories that they contract their work out to in China. They'll choose a handful seemingly at random to produce those million pairs. This is so they can prevent bootlegging and to have extremely high quality control (or so they think lol) and can trace issues/leaks back to specific factories.

The leather and clasps and lace material etc to make those million shoes will also be sourced from different places.

In those million pairs people on message forums are easily able to distinguish how many 'batches' of the sneakers there are. And a batch usually represents a specific factory or a specific working shift inside a specific factory. Because all of those sneakers tend to share one small defect. This could be anything from a slightly yellowed sole, to mold (this happened with the last Chicago 1 release), to a slightly misshaped heel, to a small nick because a machine wasn't working properly.

Most of these things would never be noticed by 90% of the people buying pairs. But these guys do nothing but stare at this stuff all day. And with enough complaints (like the mold) and Nike will drop the factory because they can trace the shoe back to it.

To make a long story short I bet Ka-Bar knows exactly when that sheath was produced and where that particular batch was sent.

MOO

That's an appreciated labor intensive post for the warrants, Isabella88. btw- You could go to the OG in the media thread and report it to the Mods by asking them to delete it. Then, post this updated version in the media thread.

It is intriguing the number of warrants issued for financial institutions for all 4 victims. Is it possible that any number of the warrants being returned as No Data Found? It's sorta freakin' me out that all 4 victims had the same affiliations with the same financial institutions.

Why would they have that commonality?
no, we know that there were records found. I summarized them, but if you go to the warrant, scroll to the end, you can see the original warrant and then the ones for which records were rec'd. this is quite the overlap, esp for college students imo ime. it's interesting, if nothing else. my mind keeps rolling back to LE saying that 'we don't care what else you were doing.' jmo imo

editing to add there could be many reasons for them to have multiple accounts. the Square/block account is interesting, and that all had activity with all of those banks/credit unions is also an amazing coincidence imo ime. to me it's a point of interest.

Last edited:
It appears to me that they checked at least five potential sources (sales records) of knife?:

1. Amazon
2. Blue Ridge Knives
3. Ka-Bar
4. Walmart
5. eBay

If so I hope they got a hit for BCK. Wonder how the settled on BlueRidge Knives?

imo What is weird about the Blue Ridge warrant is that they cited two specific dates on or about 3/8/2022 for 360 units and 6/24/2022 of 480 units. And they only sell to qualified dealers, per their website. (Wholesale Tactical Knives - Hunting Gear Supplier | Blue Ridge Knives) so how does that link to BK?

I wonder if Bank of America (BOA) is just very prominent on the west coast and in the Idaho area, and for the others maybe it is credit cards that gave students a good deal when they got the cards.

This happens a lot on university campuses. Many campuses also have a bank branch in a university's student union and is a sponsoring bank for many university activities - the university has a contract with this bank and so the bank has either a small branch office in the student union and/or a number of kiosks on campus, thus making it easier for students to access while on campus.

So maybe the BOA was the banking choice for the students, and the credit cards offered good deals to the students at the university and so they all applied for them. Many credit card companies target university campuses and offer special deals to students who sign up. Some states have passed laws to prohibit this targeting of students on campuses.

Edited to add: It's also possible that a credit union or local bank was used to help with rent and utility payments so that it would somehow make it easier to pay those joint bills if account was in some institution? Just speculation.
BOA home office is in NC. Yes, incoming college students are immediately asked to begin building their credit by charging their purchases! They're bombarded with cc apps.

It makes no sense for all 4 of these college students to have an AmX credit card bc AmX charges an annual fee. None of them were making over minimum wages (+tips), were they?

These are the banks located in Moscow:
Banks in Moscow, ID

Screenshot 2023-03-11 1.05.08 AM.png
Click on image to enlarge

1. Amazon
2. Blue Ridge Knives
3. Ka-Bar
4. Walmart
5. eBay

Re: knife and sheath

The request says sales made to the following users from Jan 1 to present for
1. Ka-Bar KA1217S, USMC Fighting Knife Sheath
2. Ka-Bar Full Size USMC Straight Edge Knife .

They requested information on 12 ebay users, page 2 (includes States).

EBM added 2nd paragraph and changed sales made by to sales made to

Last edited:
Here are the reasons the warrants can be sealed per the ID State rules. Each of the sealed warrants references a mix of these, including the confidential sources one, but they're not all the same reasons given.

I.C.A.R. 32(i)(2)
(i) Other Prohibitions or Limitations on Disclosure and Motions Regarding the Sealing of Records. Physical and electronic records, may be disclosed, or temporarily or permanently sealed or redacted by order of the court on a case-by-case basis.
(2) Before a court may enter an order redacting or sealing records, it must also make one or more of the following determinations in writing:
(A) That the documents or materials contain highly intimate facts or statements, the publication of which would be highly objectionable to a reasonable person, or
(B) That the documents or materials contain facts or statements that the court finds might be libelous, or
(C) That the documents or materials contain facts or statements, the dissemination or publication of which may compromise the financial security of, or could reasonably result in economic or financial loss or harm to a person having an interest in the documents or materials, or compromise the security of personnel, records or public property of or used by the judicial department, or
(D) That the documents or materials contain facts or statements that might threaten or endanger the life or safety of individuals, or
(E) That it is necessary to temporarily seal or redact the documents or materials to preserve the right to a fair trial, or
(F) That the documents contain personal data identifiers that should have been redacted pursuant to Idaho Rule of Electronic Filing and Service 15, Idaho Rule of Civil Procedure 2.6, or Idaho Rule of Family Law Procedure 218 in which case the court shall order that the documents be redacted in a manner consistent with the provisions of that rule.

74-124. EXEMPTIONS FROM DISCLOSURE — CONFIDENTIALITY. (1) Notwithstanding any statute or rule of court to the contrary, nothing in this chapter nor chapter 10, title 59, Idaho Code, shall be construed to require disclosure of investigatory records compiled for law enforcement purposes by a law enforcement agency, but such exemption from disclosure applies only to the extent that the production of such records would:
(a) Interfere with enforcement proceedings;
(b) Deprive a person of a right to a fair trial or an impartial adjudication;
(c) Constitute an unwarranted invasion of personal privacy;
(d) Disclose the identity of a confidential source and, in the case of a record compiled by a criminal law enforcement agency in the course of a criminal investigation, confidential information furnished only by the confidential source;
(e) Disclose investigative techniques and procedures;
(f) Endanger the life or physical safety of law enforcement personnel; or
(g) Disclose the identity of a reporting party maintained by any law enforcement entity or the department of health and welfare relating to the investigation of child abuse, neglect or abandonment unless the reporting party consents in writing to the disclosure or the disclosure of the reporting party’s identity is required in any administrative or judicial proceeding.

Last edited:
Is the UPS video them delivering the murder weapon to BK's apt?
Just had a squiz at this one and the UPS premises are located in Pullman so the warrant was served there. But the unredacted sections show warrant is for video footage from UPS delivery trucks in Moscow.

"Any and all video that is recorded and stored on any delivery trucks that were in
Moscow
Idaho between the dates ofNovember 6'h 2022 through November 14th 2022,"

Taking a guess here, but could be LE know a delivery/several; deliveries were made to the Moscow house or perhaps to houses on Queen street or nearby streets between those dates? Warrant was looking for any evidence of BK or the white Elantra in the vicinity that might have been recorded by said delivery trucks? Guessing.

ETA: This warrant was served on 5 December so about a week after BK was first identified.

Last edited:

IMO this sure makes it look like they looked hard at purchases made on eBay. 2 purchases in WA, one in ID, and 1 in PA. I’m positive you may be on to something here @Nila Aella!

I am going through each of the warrants, motions to seal, and order to seal and finding different reasons and interesting points to consider imo.

For Door Dash the motion to seal states these reasons:
1. Interfere with enforcement proceedings;
2. Constitute an unwarranted invasion of personal privacy,
3. Disclose the identity of a confidential source; and
4. Disclose investigative techniques and procedures.

The Court order seals the warrant:
SEALED pursuant to Idaho Court Administrative Rule 32(g)(1) for the reasons stated in the said Motion

Did the Door Dash driver see something? or did someone else at the time?

and subsequently this:
the court finds it necessary to seal in part and redact the record related to the search warrant because the documents contain highly intimate facts or statements, the publication of which would be highly objectionable to a reasonable person.

What could be highly intimate about Door Dash?

For BK's Snap Chat, the order to seal was based on
The court reviewed the records, considered the arguments presented, weighed the interests in privacy and public disclosure, and announced its findings of fact on the record. Therefore, pursuant to I.C.A.R. 32(i)(2)(A) and (E) and I.C. §74—124(1)(b), the court finds it necessary to seal in part and redactthe record related the search warrant for the following reasons:
(l) The documents contain highly intimate facts or statements, the publication of which would be highly objectionable to a reasonable person; and
(2) It is necessary to preserve the right to a fair trial.

whereas with K, X, E the order was based on
(1) The documents contain highly intimate facts or statements, the publication of which would be
highly objectionable to a reasonable person;
(2) The documents contain facts or statements that might threaten the safety of or endanger the life or safety of individuals; and
(3) Disclosure would constitute an unwarranted invasion of personal privacy.

editing to add links

Last edited:
Just had a squiz at this one and the UPS premises are located in Pullman so the warrant was served there. But the unredacted sections show warrant is for video footage from UPS delivery trucks in Moscow.

"Any and all video that is recorded and stored on any delivery trucks that were in
Moscow
Idaho between the dates ofNovember 6'h 2022 through November 14th 2022,"

Taking a guess here, but could be LE know a delivery/several; deliveries were made to the Moscow house or perhaps to houses on Queen street or nearby streets between those dates? Warrant was looking for any evidence of BK or the white Elantra in the vicinity that might have been recorded by said delivery trucks? Guessing.
Good catch. Range of dates and in Moscow, I think you are right about what they were looking for.
I did not know delivery trucks recorded video of deliveries? I just thought they took a photo of the package at the door.

Is it CSI Las Vegas or the neatly edited Dateline episodes that have America's sense of what it takes for a jury to convict all out of wack?
I think it's the sheer quantity of procedural mysteries we watch rather than any one show, however big a hit. Though, whatever its faults, DATELINE at least makes it clear the DNA results don't come back in a matter of minutes. On the CSI shows, they almost have the DNA tallied before the corpse arrives at the coroner!

Western narratives have been based on reversals of fortune since the time of the 5th century BCE Greeks! Sophocles' OEDIPUS is a detective story, and, yes, the least likely suspect actually did it!

But unlike the Ancient Greeks, we don't have a festival of tragedies once a year, we see 2 or 3 per night! In fact, most of us spend more time in front of crime shows than we do interacting with our neighbors. Is it any wonder some of us expect the obvious POI to turn out to be innocent?

Reason for order to seal and redact AM EX (and other financial & SM orders)

the court finds it necessary to seal in part and redact the record related to the search warrant for the following reasons:
(1) The documents contain highly intimate facts or statements, the publication of which would be
highly objectionable to a reasonable person; and
(2) The documents contain facts or statements that might threaten the safety of or endanger the life or safety of individuals.

How would that endanger life or safety of individuals?

and others. Idaho Judicial Cases of Interest

I am going through each of the warrants, motions to seal, and order to seal and finding different reasons and interesting points to consider imo.

For Door Dash the motion to seal states these reasons:
1. Interfere with enforcement proceedings;
2. Constitute an unwarranted invasion of personal privacy,
3. Disclose the identity of a confidential source; and
4. Disclose investigative techniques and procedures.

The Court order seals the warrant:
SEALED pursuant to Idaho Court Administrative Rule 32(g)(1) for the reasons stated in the said Motion

Did the Door Dash driver see something? or did someone else at the time?

and subsequently this:
the court finds it necessary to seal in part and redact the record related to the search warrant because the documents contain highly intimate facts or statements, the publication of which would be highly objectionable to a reasonable person.

What could be highly intimate about Door Dash?

editing to add links
The Door Dash was also for a time period, not a single delivery:

all information in your possession or control related to sales, deliveries, purchases, and/or transactions made to 1122 King Road, Moscow, Idaho 83 843 for time period ofJanuary 1, 2022 to present, to include:

date and time of sales; date and time of deliveries; purchases and/or transactions; name and identification of the driver; full description ofthe vehicles used; any and all communications between drivers and the purchasers

I also notice that some for ATT include that confidential source statement?

MOO

edit spelling

This is an interesting one. Warrant was obtained and served on 28th November, so just prior to BK being identified. I'd say LE were doing their due diligence, tracking down as many purchasers of the suspected type of knife as possible.No specific dates of purchase for each buyer, but I imagine LE would have checked up on them, especially the Idaho buyer. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member