Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* #105

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are people still looking for her, but very intermittently.

It's so sad. That little memorial near where the bike was found is apparently the only attempt made to remember her, beyond the signs up in Salida (I wonder if they are still there).

I can't get on the "BM put a concrete cap on a well" theory for a lot of reasons, but the first is that I do not think it was ever established whether he had a hunting e-bike or ATV. Suzanne's stepbrother (I think it was) mentions that he did have ATV's at one point, but I don't think we heard any more about it. The Bobcat didn't go on any major trips (supposedly). But really, that Bobcat would have left visible tracks right up to said mine. This same stepbrother says that Barry could walk miles with a deer on his shoulders (I'm sure it had to be a smallish deer - but we're talking at least 100 pounds; not

And the new concrete would be visible by drone (and many people have used drones in the area of the mine shafts).

If he used a mine shaft, he ought to have used a deep, straight one - very hard to send cameras down every single shaft (well, not technically hard, just expensive). The extensive search of the surrounding wilderness didn't start right away - Barry knew those mountains fairly well. He had a lot of options, actually. Since I believe Suzanne was still alive when he took her away from There are people still looking for her, but very intermittentlyIt's so sad. That little memorial near where the bike was found is apparently the only attempt made to remember her, beyond the signs up in Salida (I wonder if they are still there).

I can't get on the "BM put a concrete cap on a well" theory for a lot of reasons, but the first is that I do not think it was ever established whether he had a hunting e-bike or ATV. Suzanne's stepbrother (I think it was) mentions that he did have ATV's at one point, but I don't think we heard any more about it. The Bobcat didn't go on any major trips (supposedly). But really, that Bobcat would have left visible tracks right up to said mine. This same stepbrother says that Barry could walk miles with a deer on his shoulders (I'm sure it had to be a smallish deer - but we're talking at least 100 pounds; not

And the new concrete would be visible by drone (and many people have used drones in the area of the mine shafts).

If he used a mine shaft, he ought to have used a deep, straight one - very hard to send cameras down every single shaft (well, not technically hard, just expensive). The extensive search of the surrounding wilderness didn't start right away - Barry knew those mountains fairly well. He had a lot of options, actually. Since I believe Suzanne was still alive when he took her away from the house, dogs found very little to work with.

BM is one of the worst American villains of modern times. And he has supporters, IMO. Many of them, in Salida and elsewhere. Suzanne never had a chance. What a mask he wore.

IMO.
It’s unfortunate that there is such a short search season. I think what may be needed is a team much like the one that made the 2nd discovery of Alexis Gabe’s remains out in California. MOO

Last edited:
He did not want to create a potential appeal situation for the defense would be my first guess. IE had an appeals attorney pretty much in court with her every appearance. She is the type of lawyer that probably has an A, B and a C plan for her clients and leaves no stone unturned so to speak. Murphy did what he felt was best in the circumstances. He asked the prosecution if they would remove SD from the witness list and they said no. He can recuse himself...he doesn't need "permission" and he had a legitimate argument to do so. I was sorry to see him go. I thought he was a very good judge. I think people are just looking for reasons for the failure but honestly in my opinion it was a weaker case with an even weaker prosecution from the get go.
I’d you think this was weak, I’d love to know what you feel is strong.

I can’t say this enough. One lie buries you. How about countless lies that demonstrate “consciousness of guilt?”

I can’t say this enough. One lie buries you. How about countless lies that demonstrate “consciousness of guilt?”
*If. I’m just baffled that telling lie after lie is confusing in terms of guilt.

Right

The collapse of the case had nothing to do with the strength of the evidence.

Judge Lama himself said the sanctions were to encourage the prosecution to comply with discovery timetables - they are about the overall interests of justice and rule of law more than about the specific case i.e a punishment on prosecution to encourage compliance in the future in other cases

Indeed imposition of sanctions likely created an injustice in the specific case.

Which is why I don't believe another prosecutor will charge unless there is more evidence. I never will fault IE for being an aggressive defense attorney. She gets paid to do so.

RSBM

When i took the bar exam we were taught out primary duty was to the court, and especially never to mislead the court just to win our case. It's the cardinal sin.

She's helped a likely murderer go free by alleging conspiracy theories and lying about the prosecutor and the evidence in the media.

I will always fault that.

Indeed we would have been censured for it.

*If. I’m just baffled that telling lie after lie is confusing in terms of guilt.
Re reading this and refreshing my memory..
there was never weakness in this case.

It's quite alarming, actually.
PP18.
I just feel so sorry for this tiny woman and trying to imagine what she experienced in her final hours or minutes of life.

This simply must go ahead.
The gaslighting is a desecration.

Smaller animals live off the protein and energy they provide.

$138 fine per shed antlers and 5 points against hunting license. Another pass given. CDOW? Usually so proactive in finding violations.

I also sent Colorado Dept of Wildlife the story BM told about euthanized 2 deer to saw off their antlers in April 2020. Crickets. I guess they don't believe him.

Last edited:
<modsnip - quoted post removed>

Punishing a mere suspect by depriving him of the right to petition the court for guardianship of his missing wife, and by requiring the court - in the absence of any third. party objection or hearing on the issue, to presume that the suspect is guilty and to deny him the guardianship.

<modsnip> MOO.

Last edited by a moderator:
The rule that slayers cannot inherit from their victims would clearly apply if BM were petitioning the court for probate of SM's will, if other heirs objected and offered evidence that he had killed her.

The court could deny BM the right to inherit, but only after a hearing on the issue. The court could not presume him guilty because he is a suspect in the minds of the public, or even if he was named as a suspect by LE (which BM wasn't, until his arrest)

I found no cases or Indiana statutes that apply the slayer rule to guardianship proceedings, but I think such a rule would be right and just. So long as there is due process before the deprivation of a legal right.

Just as life insurance payouts are put in probate until cause of persons disappearance is determined, the sale of joint assets and proceeds, should be in probate. Common sense logic. Lots of wife killers taking notes. IMO. He was granted guardianship less than 30 days after her highly suspicious disappearance. He was charged, a year later. After spending the shared inheritance of real estate sales on hiring a lawyer.

Just as life insurance payouts are put in probate until cause of persons disappearance is determined, the sale of joint assets and proceeds, should be in probate. Common sense logic. Lots of wife killers taking notes. IMO. He was granted guardianship less than 30 days after her highly suspicious disappearance. He was charged, a year later. After spending the shared inheritance of real estate sales on hiring a lawyer.

It does feel a bit off.

I agree. The law should be changed by the legislature so judges could rule this way. I'd even go so far as to say, "No legislature in its right mind would allow this to happen." ;)

I'd be surprised if the law changed to allow a judge to do that on his own, in the absence of an intervening complaint by other stakeholders. Maybe they could require the judge to assign the victim a guardian ad litem to represent her interests.

In any case, I support judges following the law as it is, not as I would want it to be. Such judges often take the blame for legislative or executive errors, and for the consequences of following important principles of limited government and separation of powers. But they are the opposite of corrupt, and I'll stand up for them every time when such criticism is on offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998