SC - Stephen Smith, 19, homicide, Hampton Co, 9 Jul 2015 *new death investigation 2023*

<snipped & BBM> I find this very odd, why would Parker suddenly dismiss these 2 lawsuits?

Aug. 11, 2015

10:35 a.m. SCHP:
Jack calls Duncan.

• Duncan tells Jack that he knows he sent a text to Britney.
  • Jack knows Stephen (he confirms)
  • Duncan asked if Buster Murdaugh had any relationship with Stephen. Said he had heard it.
  • Jack said “I’ve heard the rumor.”
  • Do you know any info if that’s true or not? “Not at all.
  • When asked if he knows anything about about Stephen’s death, Jack says “No sir, not at all.”
  • Jack said that’s the only rumor he’s heard in relation to Stephen’s death.
Editor’s note: While doing a basic background search on Jack, we noticed that he was facing two different lawsuits from the Murdaugh’s law firm. Attorney John E. Parker — a powerful, well-known firm partner — filed two car accident lawsuits against Jack in late July 2015. They were both dismissed in 2016.

MOO
Might have settled out of court. Sounds like a civil claim not a criminal action.

Who is Jack?

Might have settled out of court. Sounds like a civil claim not a criminal action.

Who is Jack?
A 'fictitious' name used to protect someone's identity. I'm sorry I didn't add the link, I will try and find it again. It would make more sense reading it in it's entire context.

EBM: Elle Mae already addressed it, thanks EM.

MOO

<snipped & BBM> I find this very odd, why would Parker suddenly dismiss these 2 lawsuits?

Aug. 11, 2015

10:35 a.m. SCHP:
Jack calls Duncan.

• Duncan tells Jack that he knows he sent a text to Britney.
  • Jack knows Stephen (he confirms)
  • Duncan asked if Buster Murdaugh had any relationship with Stephen. Said he had heard it.
  • Jack said “I’ve heard the rumor.”
  • Do you know any info if that’s true or not? “Not at all.
  • When asked if he knows anything about about Stephen’s death, Jack says “No sir, not at all.”
  • Jack said that’s the only rumor he’s heard in relation to Stephen’s death.
Editor’s note: While doing a basic background search on Jack, we noticed that he was facing two different lawsuits from the Murdaugh’s law firm. Attorney John E. Parker — a powerful, well-known firm partner — filed two car accident lawsuits against Jack in late July 2015. They were both dismissed in 2016.

MOO
The auto accident lawsuits were more than likely dismissed, meaning settled out of court.

If "Jack" is officially named, I can look up the lawsuits on the SC court website.

Thanks, I've read part 2 and 3, looking for part 4.

MOO, so far....seems like so many suspects were overlooked, not interviewed, or not questioned/investigated as to time SS was killed. Seems, the focus is tracing the BM rumor. I get the impression Proctor is determine to pin this on BM, not following up on others.

Hoping to find Part 4, continuation from Dec 21, 2015. Also would like more formation on the Patrick Wilson case, as potential relationship to SS. I feel FITS brought this forward for a reason.

FITS has presented fact, objectivity and complete timeline of the investigation. I get the feeling, they are more open to finding the real killer. Makes me question SLEDs objectivity, follow up with a few individuals named.

Moo....

Thanks, I've read part 2 and 3, looking for part 4.

MOO, so far....seems like so many suspects were overlooked, not interviewed, or not questioned/investigated as to time SS was killed. Seems, the focus is tracing the BM rumor. I get the impression Proctor is determine to pin this on BM, not following up on others.

Hoping to find Part 4, continuation from Dec 21, 2015. Also would like more formation on the Patrick Wilson case, as potential relationship to SS. I feel FITS brought this forward for a reason.

FITS has presented fact, objectivity and complete timeline of the investigation. I get the feeling, they are more open to finding the real killer. Makes me question SLEDs objectivity, follow up with a few individuals named.

Moo....

"The body of Stephen Smith, who died on a country road not far from the Murdaugh home, is to be exhumed, his family announced on Friday. On March 9, his mother, Sandy Smith, opened a page to raise money to exhume the body and perform an independent autopsy after questions were raised about his 2015 death during the investigation into the murders of Maggie and Paul Murdaugh. During the double murder investigation, state police said they found new evidence about Smith's death.".

Last I looked, the Go - fund - me donations were over $53,000. Happy to see that.
I am hoping this time they will get to the bottom of this cover-up, and eventual arrests made.

Last edited:
For years, rumors circulated around the county that the case was connected to the Murdaugh family. That name appeared dozens of times in witness statements to police, yet the case grew cold and to this day there have been no arrests or even official confirmation that the case is, in fact, Murdaugh related or not.
The late Stephen Smith, right, with his mother Sandy.

The fundraising goal was $15,000 – but in only a week, that page states it has raised $41,034.

Found what I was looking for in the above...
Was able to look each of these cases up on the SSCS under Hampton County I noted the outcome of the dismissals in red

• Soon after Stephen’s death, two lawsuits were filed against Shawn Connelly (who was a teenager at the time) by the Murdaugh law firm.
  • On Aug. 7, 2015, Randy Murdaugh filed a motor vehicle accident lawsuit against Connelly on behalf of his client Christopher Still. The lawsuit was dismissed in November 2016. Perry Buckner, a well-known friend of the Murdaughs, was the judge. CASE DISMISSED PER PLAINTIFF REQUEST [ADR/DEFERRED..Alternate Dispute Resolution]
  • On May 17, 2016, Neil Alger (PMPED attorney) filed a motor vehicle accident lawsuit against Shawn Connelly. That lawsuit was dismissed in September 2016. RELEASED BY PLAINTIFF LETTER FROM PLANTIFF ATTACHED TO FILE ***THREE DEFENDANTS IN THIS CASE
I also paid close attention to the home address of the above. HUM....

Last edited:

But the exhumation – which must first get the green-light from a judge – is only the beginning of a thorough process that involves re-examining how Smith’s body was handled during the initial investigation over seven years ago, said longtime leading forensics expert Joseph Scott Morgan.

Stephen was found with a large wound to the right side of his forehead in the middle of the road, three miles away from his car.

He also had a dislocated shoulder and cuts to his left hand, according to police reports.

Last edited:

But the exhumation – which must first get the green-light from a judge – is only the beginning of a thorough process that involves re-examining how Smith’s body was handled during the initial investigation over seven years ago, said longtime leading forensics expert Joseph Scott Morgan.

Stephen was found with a large wound to the right side of his forehead in the middle of the road, three miles away from his car.

He also had a dislocated shoulder and cuts to his left hand, according to police reports.
Maybe the announcement tomorrow will shed light on the exhuming of the body.

I do hope there will be previous xrays.
Moo

Attorneys for #AlexMurdaugh financial crimes victims now representing family of Stephen Smith as teen’s body set for exhumation @TheEricBland @RonnieRichterBR @lawcrimenews

Attorneys who represent financial crimes victims of convicted double murderer and disgraced attorney Alex Murdaugh are now representing the family of Stephen Smith, a Hampton County teenager who is believed to have been murdered in the summer of 2015.

Eric Bland and Ronnie Richter, of the firm Bland Richter, teased an impending announcement on twitter Sunday morning regarding Stephen and his mother Sandy Smith. Bland and Richter both tweeted that an announcement would be coming Monday.

Published: Jul. 17, 2022 at 8:41 PM UTC|Updated: Jul. 18, 2022 at 4:11 AM UTC

A new headstone for Stephen Smith was unveiled at the Gooding Cemetery in Hampton County Sunday.

The Hampton County Coroner’s Office said the 19-year-old was hit and killedback in 2015 by blunt-force trauma to the head. The South Carolina Law Enforcement Division opened an investigation into Smith’s death in June of 2021 after agents found information relating to that case while they investigated the murders of Maggie and Paul Murdaugh.

Smith’s death is still unsolved.

The fundraiser, #StandingforStephen, raised money for this new headstone, created a scholarship in Smith’s name and set money aside to help his mother, Sandy Smith, with the ongoing case.

What year did a certain family acquire a funeral home?

Not to be overly dramatic....

But I hope his body is in the coffin.

Stranger things have happened.

JMO
It was in Georgia

Disgraced South Carolina attorney Alex Murdaugh allegedly shelled out more than $110,000 to purchase a Georgia funeral home in January 2020, according to local court documents filed Tuesday.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back