Found Deceased LA - Nathan Millard, 42, GA resident on business trip in Baton Rouge, last seen leaving pub, phone found, debit card used, 23 Feb 2023

Despite the inference in the title, the claim that Millard's position will cause problems isn't coming from the medical examiner. It's just speculation from a forensic 'expert' and podcaster. Googling the name of that expert, I see he has also recently expressed opinions on the killings in Idaho as well as on the Murdaugh case.

In any case, I don't think there's anything particularly significant to this story. Forensic pathologists have to deal with decomp all the time. And the Sun likes to chase page views by pushing out articles on trending topics, whether or not there's actually anything new to report.

Despite the inference in the title, the claim that Millard's position will cause problems isn't coming from the medical examiner. It's just speculation from a forensic 'expert' and podcaster. Googling the name of that expert, I see he has also recently expressed opinions on the killings in Idaho as well as on the Murdaugh case.

In any case, I don't think there's anything particularly significant to this story. Forensic pathologists have to deal with decomp all the time. And the Sun likes to chase page views by pushing out articles on trending topics, whether or not there's actually anything new to report.
Dr. Joseph Scott Morgan, who you are referring to, is actually a big deal in the decomp, death, and autopsy world. He also hosts his own podcast (body bags), is a professor, I could go on and on. I respect him quite a bit. Maybe do a deeper dive into who he is….

Dr. Joseph Scott Morgan, who you are referring to, is actually a big deal in the decomp, death, and autopsy world. He also hosts his own podcast (body bags), is a professor, I could go on and on. I respect him quite a bit. Maybe do a deeper dive into who he is….
I did google him before I posted and saw what appeared to be a lot of self-promotional type activity. He certainly seems to comment on a lot of criminal investigations. I also checked Google Scholar and couldn't find any research papers by him. I've had to deal with a few "media-friendly" types, so I guess I'm always suspicious of people who are always looking to get their name in the paper.

But I don't know anything about him, so I'll take your word for it that he's a legitimate scientist.

Edit - Just looking at his linkedin page, I noticed that although he gets called "Doctor", he doesn't hold an MD, PhD or any other doctoral degree. He was also never a medical examiner. Instead he was a 'Senior Investigator' in the Fulton County Medical Examiner's Office.

Last edited:
The use of a debit card was mentioned earlier in the case, but was confusing. It referred to it being used at an ATM.

My understanding is, you must have the pin number to access cash at an ATM, correct? Having someone's pin number definitely indicates foul play.

New reports specifically say Perkins used his credit card. He wouldn't need the pin for that.

With my bank, I can't just tap a debit card in a store, I need to use my pin, but I understand some banks allow contactless use of debit cards for purchases. Is this common?

JMO
RBBM
I make purchases without having to use the PIN with my debit card quite a bit. Just bought gas that way at a pump yesterday. Anytime a card reader asks for a PIN, pressing the enter button will often complete the purchase without the PIN but not always. I like the convenience but it is an open door to crime.
MOO

I did google him before I posted and saw what appeared to be a lot of self-promotional type activity. He certainly seems to comment on a lot of criminal investigations. I also checked Google Scholar and couldn't find any research papers by him. I've had to deal with a few "media-friendly" types, so I guess I'm always suspicious of people who are always looking to get their name in the paper.

But I don't know anything about him, so I'll take your word for it that he's a legitimate scientist.

Edit - Just looking at his linkedin page, I noticed that although he gets called "Doctor", he doesn't hold an MD, PhD or any other doctoral degree. He was also never a medical examiner. Instead he was a 'Senior Investigator' in the Fulton County Medical Examiner's Office.

Without buying his book, here are his own words describing his work.

*warning: graphic, profanity
Postmortem: The Life and Deaths of a Medicolegal Death Investigator

Last edited:
RBBM
I make purchases without having to use the PIN with my debit card quite a bit. Just bought gas that way at a pump yesterday. Anytime a card reader asks for a PIN, pressing the enter button will often complete the purchase without the PIN but not always. I like the convenience but it is an open door to crime.
MOO

You can't bypass the PIN when attempting to pull actual cash out of ATM (which is I believe what was originally reported in this case).

Correct. I thought his card was used by a perp elsewhere. If I am mistaken, my bad & sorry for the error.

No apologies necessary. I believe I read the card being used both ways (for a purchase as well as for money being pulled out of ATM) but I don't know if one is true and the other isn't or if they're both true.

Interesting information. He was "forced" to retire. Probably because "30 years of experience", does not equal a medical degree.

Interesting, that when the perpetrator was arrested, his bail amout was 14K. But has now been increased.

Sad death, all too common.
His initial arrest was for using NM’s debit card and stealing a Toyota, they saw the stolen car on the ATM camera (despite his attempts to disguise it with paint).
Now he’s also charged with unlawful disposal of remains, obstruction of justice, criminal damage to property (burning the Toyota) and failure to seek assistance.
It looks like he had a plan it just wasn’t a good one.
And he’s not going anywhere with his parole violation, no matter what bail he gets.
Man arrested in Nathan Millard case now accused of disposing of his body, officials say

However, he is just speculating, as do all the outside 'experts' who do podcasts and media interviews. Lawyers, psychologists, physicians, criminal profilers, retired police detectives, etc. I think their speculation is often more informed by experience than the average JQ Public, but not to be taken as fact.

JMO

Feb, 22:

Millard leaves from Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport and flies to Baton Rouge to check out a possible job site for his Conyers construction business.

7:30 p.m. -- Millard Facetimes with his wife from an LSU basketball game.

9:30 p.m. -- He has dinner with a client at Happy’s Pub around 9:30 pm.

11:17 p.m. -- Millard is last seen leaving Happy’s Irish Pub on Third Street in downtown Baton Rouge. WBRZ reports that a worker cut him off because he had had to much to drink.

11:30 p.m. -- Millard arrives at a Greyhound Bus station on Florida Street, which is less than a mile from the pub. He’s with another man, according to warrants. He uses an ATM card to withdraw cash.

A security spots him and asks Millard if he needs help. Millard refuses help but tells the employee that he lost his cell phone. The employee offers to call a rideshare for him or take him back to his hotel room but Millard refuses. Millard tells the employee he’s looking for “something to make him feel better,” according to the warrant.

He walks away from the bus station with the unidentified man.

Feb. 23:

Between 11:30 p.m. 4:30 a.m.

Police say the man Millard was with introduces him to some people who flag down a known drug dealer in the area named “Stanka.”

Police have since identified “Stanka” as Derrick Perkins, who was later arrested for improperly disposing of Millard’s body, among other crimes.

Millard, Perkins and another person get into a light blue Toyota Camry and head in the direction of South Baton Rouge.

4:24 a.m. -- Millard is last seen alive on surveillance video at a Circle K on Nicholson Drive, where he and Perkins make a pit stop and strand two people who were with them at the store.

At some point shortly thereafter, witnesses told police that Millard died of an overdose at a home on East. Washington Street.

Perkins then allegedly wrapped his body in plastic wrapping and a rug before disposing of the body several days later on Ontario Street behind a funeral home.

9 a.m. -- Millard’s client calls police to request a welfare check after he doesn’t show up to a meeting or respond to messages. At some point during the day, Millard’s wallet and phone are found on the ground several blocks from his hotel.

11:00 a.m. -- Perkins uses Millard’s ATM card at an AM Mart on Highland Road, according to the warrant.

I wonder how Perkins obtained the pin number for the ATM card?
He was with the owner of the card who was drunk and/or high & gave it to him. DP knows how the crime game is played & may have seen NM use it at the convenience store.

Looks to me like this case is sewed up unless the dealer is charged as well. Quite a sad & sordid tale.
JMP

Last edited:
I'm very sad that his life ended this way. As a recovering addict, I remember putting myself into the same situations, and I am grateful for surviving them. I don't know his full story about his possible issues with drugs, nor do I need to, but I hope that he is in peace, and I hope to heaven that his loved ones can find some kind of peace, as well. A tragic loss.

This report from another TV station pretty much jibes with the WSB time line, although it has some additional details:

Perkins rode around the Baton Rouge area with Millard’s body in the trunk for two to four days until the odor got too bad, and he dumped the body on Ontario Street behind the abandoned Rhodes Funeral Home, where it was later located on Monday, March 6, investigators explained.

Police said Millard and Perkins eventually drove away and went to a house in South Baton Rouge on Lori Burgess Avenue where Millard allegedly overdosed on a drug called “blue magic.”

“Blue magic but it had some form of fentanyl in it. So, we believe the fentanyl was administered or the partaking in the drug activity. There is some mention of possibly giving some Narcan,” said McKneely.

Police said Perkins reportedly told several people about the body and even showed them Millard’s body in the trunk before dumping it days later near Scenic Highway.

Those witness statements were backed up by surveillance video, added police.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back