AZ AZ- Ann Caldwell, 18, Tucson, Pima County, March 13, 1956

So if it comes back that she was legitimately found will the page be completely taken down?
I believe the page will just stay invisible. That's what happened when I submitted a missing person whose report they were unable to locate. They might reach out to the submitter to ask where they got the info.

If Ann's NamUs doesn't go through then there are two alternatives.
1. She was found between 1960 and now.
2. Her file was lost, possibly when moving from written to digital records.

Unsure which is most likely, but I'd say option 2 is as I feel like we would have found something, a record or newspaper article saying she was found but no. Option 2 would explain why she was so heavily publicized but then just dropped out of sight.

This is all if Ann's NamUs won't go through, which it may or may not, we'll just have to wait and see...

Hey all! Got derailed by life for a few months but haven’t forgotten about Ann.

f Ann's NamUs doesn't go through then there are two alternatives.
1. She was found between 1960 and now.
2. Her file was lost, possibly when moving from written to digital records.

There’s a 3rd option, which is that no LE agreed to take ownership of the case. That could be because of 1 and/or 2, or simply due to the jurisdictional issues. Tucson? El Paso? Amarillo? Plainview? Etc.

I'm not an American so I'm not sure how Social Security cards are issued. I didn't realize the first SS card was issued two years before Ann was born.

This is the most compelling reason to think she’s still missing - the fact that she apparently never had one issued. It became a requirement for jobs, credit, marriage, etc by the 1970s. Today, they issue them very near birth, but as an example, I didn’t get mine until 1986 (first job).

I guess she could’ve married well, or I dunno, joined a convent.

Maybe you could find an email for an agent that deals with cold missing person cases?

For the FBI, back when I was trying to find literally every scrap of information, my thought was simply to file a FOIA request for anything they might have. That said, my understanding of the Bulletins is that they posted requests from local LE, and an appearance in one doesn’t mean the FBI was involved otherwise.

Someone mentioned looking for a cancellation notice upthread, which is a great idea. I was never able find a set of the Bulletins (online) that included the missing person inserts after that one - the one where she appears was just luck.

I think perhaps Ann led a fairly sheltered life. That may have to do with her parents losing two girls when Anne was very young. It seems she went to an all girls school. Transitioning to a co-ed university may have been quite a paradigm shift for her.

The story she told her parents about staying at the school after the sorority meeting suggests to me either she had a secret boyfriend or she and another girl had some alternate plans.

This touches on some of weird dangling mysteries of this case.

She doesn’t appear in any University of Arizona yearbooks.

She also doesn’t appear in any of the published sorority rushes for either Fall semester 1955 or Winter/Spring 1956, which were held in February. ( For you non-USians, a sorority rush is where you visit the various sororities on campus and they vote you in (or not) for membership.)

Last fall, my morbid mind formulated the theory that, based on a published statement from her father about her being somewhat out of sorts before she left, the truck drivers’ comments about her state of mind, AND - a sheltered girl, from an all-girls boarding school, is suddenly on a coed campus. She was a beautiful young woman.

Theory was: she met her first boyfriend and got ‘in trouble.’ The trip to Texas was to get an abortion. Maybe she died during the procedure, etc.

2nd theory: there was a lot of hitchhiking going on. 2+2 =

But still, these days, I learn more towards

Because, IMO, they had found her already. It turned out to be a private family matter after the sheriff talked with the parents and told them Ann did not want to come home and they felt it better to let sleeping dogs lie rather than cause any further embarrassment to the family

It is odd how her immediate family doesn’t mention her in their obits, but this is one of the reasons I think they eventually found her or found out what happened to her:

Her father gave a pretty long interview in the early 1970s about his ham radio hobby, and never brought up his missing daughter.

There are definitely lots of dangling, tantalizing threads to pull on here, but having gone through the whole range of deep dives, theorizing, etc, today I kinda lean towards the idea that whatever happened, the family knew.

(Which isn’t to say I don’t still spend time digging on this case, because I do. :))

Hey all! Got derailed by life for a few months but haven’t forgotten about Ann.

There’s a 3rd option, which is that no LE agreed to take ownership of the case. That could be because of 1 and/or 2, or simply due to the jurisdictional issues. Tucson? El Paso? Amarillo? Plainview? Etc.

This is the most compelling reason to think she’s still missing - the fact that she apparently never had one issued. It became a requirement for jobs, credit, marriage, etc by the 1970s. Today, they issue them very near birth, but as an example, I didn’t get mine until 1986 (first job).

I guess she could’ve married well, or I dunno, joined a convent.

For the FBI, back when I was trying to find literally every scrap of information, my thought was simply to file a FOIA request for anything they might have. That said, my understanding of the Bulletins is that they posted requests from local LE, and an appearance in one doesn’t mean the FBI was involved otherwise.

Someone mentioned looking for a cancellation notice upthread, which is a great idea. I was never able find a set of the Bulletins (online) that included the missing person inserts after that one - the one where she appears was just luck.

This touches on some of weird dangling mysteries of this case.

She doesn’t appear in any University of Arizona yearbooks.

She also doesn’t appear in any of the published sorority rushes for either Fall semester 1955 or Winter/Spring 1956, which were held in February. ( For you non-USians, a sorority rush is where you visit the various sororities on campus and they vote you in (or not) for membership.)

Last fall, my morbid mind formulated the theory that, based on a published statement from her father about her being somewhat out of sorts before she left, the truck drivers’ comments about her state of mind, AND - a sheltered girl, from an all-girls boarding school, is suddenly on a coed campus. She was a beautiful young woman.

Theory was: she met her first boyfriend and got ‘in trouble.’ The trip to Texas was to get an abortion. Maybe she died during the procedure, etc.

2nd theory: there was a lot of hitchhiking going on. 2+2 =

But still, these days, I learn more towards

It is odd how her immediate family doesn’t mention her in their obits, but this is one of the reasons I think they eventually found her or found out what happened to her:

Her father gave a pretty long interview in the early 1970s about his ham radio hobby, and never brought up his missing daughter.

There are definitely lots of dangling, tantalizing threads to pull on here, but having gone through the whole range of deep dives, theorizing, etc, today I kinda lean towards the idea that whatever happened, the family knew.

(Which isn’t to say I don’t still spend time digging on this case, because I do. :))

And we do have a record of an Elizabeth Caldwell coming back from Mexico six months after 'our' Ann Elizabeth Caldwell disappeared. Surely officials checked the border crossing records during the time period she was missing. It's pretty obvious this was a private family matter (as I showed in my Post #71 and #72 in this thread) which may have resulted in Ann Elizabeth being disowned by all of her family members, including any mention of her name in their obits. Her parents weren't even available for a comment when she was sighted according to the article below. Very telling.

The officer from the Plainview Police Department wouldn't give out any information as to where she was and wouldn't say anything until he talked to the parents. "I can't say anything until we get the entire thing cleared up" Entire thing was a euphemism for a personal problem between the parents and the adult daughter.

The article below clearly shows that Miss Caldwell was found as of March 30, 1957. She was no longer missing from that point on. Hence, this can no longer be classified as a missing person case.

IMO, this case has been solved using logical deduction. Thank you to SimsGuy67 for being the catalyst leading up to this case being solved by posting the discussion five months ago. Hopefully Websleuths (and NAMUS) classifies this case as being solved.

And, for all we know, Ann Elizabeth Caldwell could still be alive at age 85 and still doesn't want to be found. Again.

Migration • United States Border Crossings from Mexico to United States, 1903-1957

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XLY7-V6R

caldwellmexico.jpg

plainviewsighting..jpg

And we do have a record of an Elizabeth Caldwell coming back from Mexico six months after 'our' Ann Elizabeth Caldwell disappeared. Surely officials checked the border crossing records during the time period she was missing. It's pretty obvious this was a private family matter (as I showed in my Post #71 and #72 in this thread) which may have resulted in Ann Elizabeth being disowned by all of her family members, including any mention of her name in their obits. Her parents weren't even available for a comment when she was sighted according to the article below. Very telling.

The officer from the Plainview Police Department wouldn't give out any information as to where she was and wouldn't say anything until he talked to the parents. "I can't say anything until we get the entire thing cleared up" Entire thing was a euphemism for a personal problem between the parents and the adult daughter.

The article below clearly shows that Miss Caldwell was found as of March 30, 1957. She was no longer missing from that point on. Hence, this can no longer be classified as a missing person case.

IMO, this case has been solved using logical deduction. Thank you to SimsGuy67 for being the catalyst leading up to this case being solved by posting the discussion five months ago. Hopefully Websleuths (and NAMUS) classifies this case as being solved.

And, for all we know, Ann Elizabeth Caldwell could still be alive at age 85 and still doesn't want to be found. Again.

Migration • United States Border Crossings from Mexico to United States, 1903-1957

caldwellmexico.jpg

View attachment 414867
Wasn't that article proved to have probably not been Ann in January? Post #85 to be exact. Can't tell how logical that is. I'm not saying anything else as I'm not interested in having a redo of what happened in January.

caldwellmexico.jpg

View attachment 414867
I found the document for the Elizabeth Caldwell returning from Mexico. She was from Tennessee, so probably not Ann. There were Elizabeth Caldwells who lived in TN at the time.
From Tennessee, according to the manifest

Wasn't that article proved to have probably not been Ann in January? Post #85 to be exact. Can't tell how logical that is. I'm not saying anything else as I'm not interested in having a redo of what happened in January.
I agree, probably not Ann Caldwell from Arizona. We'll rule out Elizabeth Caldwell from Tennessee. It still doesn't negate all the other information about her. Miss Caldwell was found as of March 30, 1957 and had been located by the Texas Rangers. In a telephone interview with the Arizona Daily Star, Frank Miller, a warrant officer with the Plainview Police Department, said that the girl had not been picked up yet. Obviously, she was found in Plainview, Texas since a Plainview PD officer was handling the case. She was no longer missing from that point on. Again, this can no longer be classified as a missing person case. Based on that newspaper article alone. Good job, Texas Rangers!

Maybe the Plainview Police Department has the answer:

1. To request a public copy of a police report, submit your request along with $5 cash, check, or money order in person or by mail to the Plainview Police Department at:
108 W. Ninth St.
Plainview, TX 79072
For more information, please call the Police Department records office at (806) 296-1179.

I mean, Plainview said: “We believe we have information on the girl’s whereabouts..” and that they ‘would not disclose where they believe she is.”

I think there’s plenty of ambiguity there to not take it as an absolute statement of fact that Ann was found.

So while I tend to agree with idea (for now) that she was likely found at some point, I don’t think this sighting panned out.

a Jane Doe a rehash? The Doe was found in November 1959, after the Plainview sighting!

Yes, it seems unlikely that they would have compared to her to this Doe if she’d been found.

Aside from the Doe, but also in 1959, sounds like her parents were still looking for her.

Tucson-Daily-Citizen-March,13-1959-p-3.jpeg

Eager to hear what you find, @UnlicensedPI !

I was over in the Aguila Jane Doe thread and the article about Diane Webb caught my eye:
Her disappearance is the oldest of Arizona's 59 missing-children cases in the National Institute of Justice’s Missing and Unidentified Persons System

She went missing in 1959. Ann should be the oldest, one might think.

Other relatives who didn’t mention her in their obits (although they mentioned her brother): Ann’s aunt Marjorie Hamilton, who died in 2018, and her mom’s brother, who retired in 1970 as Assistant Director of Investigations for the AZ Dept of Immigration.

Getting harder and harder to believe no one knew what happened to her.

Eager to hear what you find, @UnlicensedPI !

I was over in the Aguila Jane Doe thread and the article about Diane Webb caught my eye:

She went missing in 1959. Ann should be the oldest, one might think.

Other relatives who didn’t mention her in their obits (although they mentioned her brother): Ann’s aunt Marjorie Hamilton, who died in 2018, and her mom’s brother, who retired in 1970 as Assistant Director of Investigations for the AZ Dept of Immigration.

Getting harder and harder to believe no one knew what happened to her.
The problem with the missing children thing is that Ann wasn't a child. She was a young adult, even just barely. Not sure if 18 is counted as a child or not. Could also be more evidence of Ann's case file being lost, not just being found.

It's quite strange she isn't in a single obituary. In the obituary it seems that it only shows family members that he was survived by, not those who were preceded in death. In fact, I'm not sure if any of those say that. I doubt Ann was found deceased. If feel as if there would have been an article if there was.

I think they do need SS cards now but I'm not sure whether that was the norm in the 50s when many women were homemakers and had no outside job. In Canada you can issue a SIN (Social Insurance Number) to a child at birth.
I'm Canadian, but from another case I was following, 1987 was the year that SS cards came to the forefront in the USA from what I understand. New to this case, is there any indication who the female seen walking with Ann was when they left town?

Sadly, no, at least on my end. Nobody (except some of us WSers) is looking for her.

It’s just possible she is alive, but if so, she’s left no paper trail after 1956 (last seen) or 1959-60 (last mentioned in papers available in newspapers.com or newspaperarchive.com.)

Ann’s brother died before their mom’s sister (Marjorie Hamilton, mentioned above) and he was listed in her obituary, so I don’t think people just weren’t listing pre-deceased people.

While I lean towards thinking the family knew/found put what happened to her after 1960, I can’t explain why neither parent or her brother mentioned her in their obituaries.

From everything I’ve seen, Ann was an intelligent, accomplished, beautiful young woman, a child any parent would have been proud of. I can’t imagine what could have happened / what she could have said or did that would lead to her closest family members simply pretending she never existed (assuming she was found alive).

So I take another look around at the online resources every few months or so, hoping for a scrap of something or other. I’ve even plotted ways to convince my spouse to take a trip to Tucson to access any (theoretical) court/University records not online. Maybe one of these days!

Later this fall, when I have a bit more time, I do plan to email/ call all of the AZ/NM/TX jurisdictions mentioned in the papers to see if they have anything at all in their archives. Long shot, but it’s the only real thread we can pull on at this point.

I also am not aware of her brother’s wife’s name or whether she’s still alive; possibly she knows something/heard stories from her husband, but if so, I’m hesitant to reach out to a family member, even one who never knew Ann. I’m sure there must be cousins as well who possibly have heard family stories.

It’s just possible she is alive, but if so, she’s left no paper trail after 1956 (last seen) or 1959-60 (last mentioned in papers available in newspapers.com or newspaperarchive.com.)
I wonder about her SSN. I'm not from the US so I don't know how they work now or then, but let's say she was never employed, later when everyone needed to have one, would she need it for a driver's license? Or marriage? Could you get away with never getting a SSN?

I noticed this in the very first post of this thread:
March 7, 1957: Ann's mother pleads on TV show, Queen for a Day for her daughters return.
I tried looking for the episode (awful show btw), but of course the ones available weren't even in '57, most were destroyed since apparently that was normal back then, and the few still available might be in some archives.
It would have been interesting to see what exactly her mother had to say.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back