UK - Nurse Lucy Letby Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never said that she wasn't upset.

It's obvious that she will definitely be upset right now. She faces a strong possibility of never seeing the outside world again.

I was talking about her sudden change from her usual calm and unreactive demeanour and what her reason might be for her sudden dramatics when faced with Dr Choc.

Yes I agree this is the point

"Nurse Lucy Letby found caring for less sick infants in hospital was “boring”, her murder trial was told.

She is also said to have argued with a senior colleague when asked to work in an ‘outside nursery’ where babies were treated in preparation for going home. [...]

“She said it was boring and she didn’t want to feed babies. She wanted to be in the intensive care”. [...]

“It was more that we were worried for Lucy’s mental heath because it can be upsetting, emotional and sometimes exhausting as well at the end of a shift, if you’re constantly put in that stressed situation all the time."

snipped for copyright

"Nurse Lucy Letby found caring for less sick infants in hospital was “boring”, her murder trial was told.

She is also said to have argued with a senior colleague when asked to work in an ‘outside nursery’ where babies were treated in preparation for going home. [...]

“She said it was boring and she didn’t want to feed babies. She wanted to be in the intensive care”. [...]

“It was more that we were worried for Lucy’s mental heath because it can be upsetting, emotional and sometimes exhausting as well at the end of a shift, if you’re constantly put in that stressed situation all the time."

snipped for copyright

To be fair, I've had colleagues who always want to be in ITU!

To be fair, I've had colleagues who always want to be in ITU!
Is this a type of work situation where everyone is expected to spend an equal amount of time doing different jobs, or will there always be people who end up with the 'best' jobs?

For example when I worked at mcdonalds, you wanted to be on drive thru every shift but you'd still always have to do your turn at potwash? No experience with how it works in a Hospital so any knowledge appreciated x

I’m wondering about some of the evidence around the collapses, that’s a bit of the cases I struggled with. I’m not sure but in most if not all cases the pros experts have stated that many of the collapses are suspect as there seems to be no underlying reason ie infection. Only thing is these are collapses kind of within collapses that are deemed normal. I’m wondering if there is collapses that aren’t surrounded by any other health issues at all? And if these required cpr. I totally get what people and the prosecutio have said that babies don’t just collapse like this but we have mr Myers saying they do and I’m wondering if they are like the collapses that seem to just happen out of the blue.

IMO I don't think the Myers is saying 'the collapses are normal', he is saying that there must be some other explanation for all these abnormal collapses. It is the very premise of the entire case and the witness testimony of the medical experts that the collapses are not normal.

If collapses like this were normal, and happened out of the blue, as a matter of course, at this kind of death rate, then we wouldn't be here.

Is this a type of work situation where everyone is expected to spend an equal amount of time doing different jobs, or will there always be people who end up with the 'best' jobs?

For example when I worked at mcdonalds, you wanted to be on drive thru every shift but you'd still always have to do your turn at potwash? No experience with how it works in a Hospital so any knowledge appreciated x

Not really. It depends on skill mix & what kind of patients you have. Most - if not all - NNUs employ nursery nurses, who are expert in looking after babies who are heading for home. So inevitably the nurses look after the poorly/more complex ones, as you would expect. But if there are a lot of well babies to staff obviously you can look after those too.

Last edited:

snipped for copyright

Some of these questions from Myers sound like he's working for the prosecution here ?

I think everyone prefers certain aspects of a job ..but to publicly argue about..and moan (texts) is not "usual"
Everyone knows you have to take turns working in different areas
And I would have thought as her employers, there was a duty of care aspect too. She had been through a lot, and if innocent, it would be reasonable to assume it would be taking it's toll, and that she needed a break. JMO.

Not really. It depends on skill mix & what kind if patients you have. Most - if not all - NNUs employ nursery nurses, who are expert in looking after babies who are heading for home. So inevitably the nurses look after the poorly/more complex ones, as you would expect. But if there are a lot of well babies to staff obviously you can look after those too.
Thank you! I definitely get wanting to be in the 'busier' jobs because 8 hours can feel like a millenia when you're stood around doing very little but I don't think arguing with someone more senior after you've been told what to do is a very good look.

JMO x

IMO I don't think the Myers is saying 'the collapses are normal', he is saying that there must be some other explanation for all these abnormal collapses. It is the very premise of the entire case and the witness testimony of the medical experts that the collapses are not normal.

If collapses like this were normal, and happened out of the blue, as a matter of course, at this kind of death rate, then we wouldn't be here.
In any case, what Mr Myers says is not evidence.

And I would have thought as her employers, there was a duty of care aspect too. She had been through a lot, and if innocent, it would be reasonable to assume it would be taking it's toll, and that she needed a break. JMO.
Especially if you've had a really *advertiser censored* run of it at the time, if you love babies it would be nice to chill out and give feeds and maybe some cuddles to the healthy babies ready to go home, would be a nice little reminder of why you do the job. But that's just my opinion as someone who has never worked in this sector there's obviously different ways of coping or different views on what you do/why you do it!

Especially if you've had a really *advertiser censored* run of it at the time, if you love babies it would be nice to chill out and give feeds and maybe some cuddles to the healthy babies ready to go home, would be a nice little reminder of why you do the job. But that's just my opinion as someone who has never worked in this sector there's obviously different ways of coping or different views on what you do/why you do it!

This is what I think. It could be nothing, but surely if you actually liked babies, you would appreciate a break from inflicting unpleasant procedures on very sick ones? Just to feed happy, comfortable little babies, who are safe and sound and only still there as a precaution?

This is what I think. It could be nothing, but surely if you actually liked babies, you would appreciate a break from inflicting unpleasant procedures on very sick ones? Just to feed happy, comfortable little babies, who are safe and sound and only still there as a precaution?

As an isolated case I don't think many would really raise an eyebrow at someone who wanted to work ICU, some people enjoy different aspects and gain job satisfaction in all sorts of ways. I don't think complaining about it either is strange. Especially if work is your life.

...it's not an isolated case though and when put alongside all the evidence we've heard it's actually very sinister imo.

Thank you! I definitely get wanting to be in the 'busier' jobs because 8 hours can feel like a millenia when you're stood around doing very little but I don't think arguing with someone more senior after you've been told what to do is a very good look.

JMO x
To be fair, looking after low dependency can often be busier than ITU! But the work is less interesting on the whole.

It's not like that, to be honest. A break is nice now & then but if you choose to work on a level 2 or 3 unit then you enjoy the pressure of ITU, a bit like nurses who work in A&E.

I don't think the prosecution is introducing this evidence for incriminatory effect, to show guilt. There is nothing incriminating in working in an intensive care unit by itself.

I believe it is to show character evidence, how she was often non-compliant, didn't care for management, and constantly sought stimulation or preferred high-risk situations. I'll call it ingredients.

JMO

Last edited:
I don't think the prosecution is introducing this evidence for incriminatory effect, to show guilt. There is nothing incriminating in working in an intensive care unit by itself.

I believe it is to show character evidence, how she was often non-compliant, didn't care for management, and constantly sought stimulation or preferred high-risk situations.

JMO

Sounds like me, oh dear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members