Identified! IL - Lockport, WhtMale UP5213, 25-35, laundry mark "Jim 5," found with various keys, Jul'80 - namus removed

Is “Jim 5” definitely a company? Or could it actually be someone’s name? Like “Jim S”.

Jimmy C. Long – The Charley Project

I think Jimmy’s hair is probably too dark to be “Jim”, but the details of his disappearance got me thinking..

“Long was last seen at a truck stop in Calhoun, Louisiana on November 18, 1979. He got into a light brown late model Ford with a vinyl top together with two unidentified Caucasian males and he has never been heard from again. Few details are available in his case.”
Does anyone know anything at all about Jimmy Long? On a Newspaper search for louisisiana, i found an arrest for him in 1975 drunk and disorderly. He is on of those That get very little attention. I couldnt find a birth record on ancestry, maybe he was adopted. He is of interest to due to the proximity in time of his disappearance to another case which happened the same month in Louisiana. Of course there may be no connection.

Now I know that 1980 was quite a while ago, but did the state of Illinois have vehicle registrations in a database by that point?

Surely, not that many people owned an AMC at all, and the AMC in combination with a Ford and a Peterbilt?

Any way to find out of vehicle registrations were checked for this group of vehicles?

Also, it seems that he worked for a fairly large employer to be "Jim 5."

When I first saw the number, I wondered if the deceased was a long-term inpatient, or resident of a facility.

Who owned an AMC in 1980?
There was an AMC plant just across the border in Kenosha, WI. Briggs and Stratton also headquartered in Milwaukee. Possible Wisconsin connection.

That's a pretty good recon, he had quite an angular face. There are a couple more pictures on the website, one with a toddler. He was 29, almost 30, right in the middle of the estimated range.

RIP Webster. I hope we get to find out more about what happened to you and ultimately that you get the justice you deserve.

The man's body was later found by an employee looking for driftwood. He had been shot several times, but the body was too far decomposed to make an identification, the coroner's office said.

The body had likely been in the water for a couple of weeks, and Will County Sheriff's investigators ran down several leads over the next four years. But the case went cold.

Partial fingerprints were recovered and submitted to state and federal labs – but no matches came up. Dental evidence also did not match any known person.

In November 2008, Will County Coroner Patrick K. O'Neil created a part-time cold case unit composed of two retired police detectives. The following year, these investigators sent hair standards from the man found in the crate to the University of North Texas Center for Human Identification – but a DNA database turned up no match, the coroner's office said.

In 2021, the coroner's office – under new Coroner Laurie Summers – partnered with Othram, a private lab for advanced DNA testing. The victim was disinterred with the help of the University of Illinois Forensic Anthropology Department, and skeletal standards were sent to Othram, the coroner's office said

Hhhmm, we have a thread for this already:

Yet the question still remains, who killed him? Has Othram found any names of family members or anyone who might know something, and what else is there to know about him? It is rather interesting that he'd keep all those keys and that they put him in the box, thank you Othram for identifying him, but now how and why was he murdered?

Yet the question still remains, who killed him? Has Othram found any names of family members or anyone who might know something, and what else is there to know about him? It is rather interesting that he'd keep all those keys and that they put him in the box, thank you Othram for identifying him, but now how and why was he murdered?
"Obviously there was a lot of mob-related deaths back in that era and a lot that came into Will County," said Will County Sheriff's Police Sgt. Mike Earnest. "So is that a possibility we'll explore? Yes. It is something I can say for certain? I don't know."

Relatives said Webster Fisher was likely the victim, and just on Wednesday of last week, Othram told the coroner's office that Fisher was indeed the unidentified man.

"This gentleman is somebody's father, somebody's uncle, somebody's brother and it's nice to be able to give the family some kind of closure, because ... they're looking and wondering whatever happened to their loved one," Piper said.

Now that he's been identified, the work of police in Will County is far from over. They're now working on finding his killer.

Now that we know the police are trying, the question remains, did anyone find it strange that he was unidentified due to rapid decomposure? I saw that on the first initial post and more importantly, perhaps mob people used that to keep him from identification.

The man's body was later found by an employee looking for driftwood. He had been shot several times, but the body was too far decomposed to make an identification, the coroner's office said.

The body had likely been in the water for a couple of weeks, and Will County Sheriff's investigators ran down several leads over the next four years. But the case went cold.

Partial fingerprints were recovered and submitted to state and federal labs – but no matches came up. Dental evidence also did not match any known person.

In November 2008, Will County Coroner Patrick K. O'Neil created a part-time cold case unit composed of two retired police detectives. The following year, these investigators sent hair standards from the man found in the crate to the University of North Texas Center for Human Identification – but a DNA database turned up no match, the coroner's office said.

In 2021, the coroner's office – under new Coroner Laurie Summers – partnered with Othram, a private lab for advanced DNA testing. The victim was disinterred with the help of the University of Illinois Forensic Anthropology Department, and skeletal standards were sent to Othram, the coroner's office said
I really don't believe that his body was in the water for long because that doesn't speed up the decomposition process. I belive they may have put something on him after he was shot. Still just a theory so don't take my theory to heart

The manner in which he was disposed of certainly sounds mob like. Perhaps someone he knew who knew his routine was driving around nearby waiting for him to leave the house. Or ran into him at the gas station. Did the gas station have any mob ties or was it shady at all? Maybe simply going there was the end of him when he thought he was just talking to people he knew. Sometimes people of Irish descent are ( as well as more steteotypical Italians)
involved with the mob. His name sounds like he may have been of Irish descent. All speculation, though. I wonder who else may not have wished him well back then, if this isn't mob related.

The manner in which he was disposed of certainly sounds mob like. Perhaps someone he knew who knew his routine was driving around nearby waiting for him to leave the house. Or ran into him at the gas station. Did the gas station have any mob ties or was it shady at all? Maybe simply going there was the end of him when he thought he was just talking to people he knew. Sometimes people of Irish descent are ( as well as more stereotypical Italians)
involved with the mob. His name sounds like he may have been of Irish descent. All speculation, though. I wonder who else may not have wished him well back then, if this isn't mob related.
Ofc family members are likely suspects, but let's hope that the police can potentiallyy find information on that before me. Also where could we view police files for this cold case?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back