Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* #105

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless of the content, it made it into the hands of the FBI and that was the end of the hotel's "mail from the rubbish bin story." However, the fireplace files are another story that did make the preliminary hearing. JMO

The mountain lion did it. The mountain lion, after killing and dragging Suzanne to his den to eat her, came back and burned her journals and some papers. And threw the bike into the ravine (dumb ole mountain lion should have at least staged an actual bike accident, in which the bike showed it had run off the road and down the ravine).

IMO.

Question for the case experts here. Can't the prosecution just get new experts to replace the excluded expert witnesses?

Yes - but the DA in Salida (Linda Stanley) is encountering some political difficulties. I'm sure there are budget constraints as well. I think we'll need to wait for a new DA for that to take place. Getting new experts is expensive, it's a small budget.

And it is not the only case that she has apparently had dismissed or put in jeopardy due to her failure to do her duty (IMO):

Listened to a pretrial hearing in El Paso County with Judge Werner (4th Judicial District) where the defense (and defense expert witness) repeatedly failed to deliver experts report promised since Sept 2022.

Motion by Prosecutor in Feb 2023, 35 days before trial -- the statutory date for discovery pursuant to Rule 16, and nobody threatening sanctions, requesting defense's head on a stick, no pontificating about hiding evidence, bad faith, etc.

Fast forward to Monday, March 20 -- jury selection and the defense expert witness will be appearing for the defense.

IMO, this is what is typical among professionals in Colorado Courts OUTSIDE of the 11th Judicial District. MOO

ETA: Discovery pursuant to Rule 16 applies to both the prosecutor and the defense.

Listened to a pretrial hearing in El Paso County with Judge Werner (4th Judicial District) where the defense (and defense expert witness) repeatedly failed to deliver experts report promised since Sept 2022.

Motion by Prosecutor in Feb 2023, 35 days before trial -- the statutory date for discovery pursuant to Rule 16, and nobody threatening sanctions, requesting defense's head on a stick, no pontificating about hiding evidence, bad faith, etc.

Fast forward to Monday, March 20 -- jury selection and the defense expert witness will be appearing for the defense.

IMO, this is what is typical among professionals in Colorado Courts OUTSIDE of the 11th Judicial District. MOO

ETA: Discovery pursuant to Rule 16 applies to both the prosecutor and the defense.

In the McStay trial expert reports were discovered mere days before or even on the morning of testimony!!

The judge had the patience of a saint

In the McStay trial expert reports were discovered mere days before or even on the morning of testimony!!

The judge had the patience of a saint

Also, I mistakenly omitted that the report was not received from the defense until March 15, 2023 -- five days before trial!

The worst we heard from the Colorado DA and the Judge nowhere rivaled what went on in this case...

[Judge] Werner, who shared [DA] Allen's frustrations, gave a hard deadline of Wednesday evening, March 15, for the second sanity report to be filed.

"Convey to your expert that it's not a suggestion, it's not a guideline ... it's a deadline," Werner said. "If she (Dr. Lewis) wants to testify here in this case, it has to be done (by the deadline)."

Court records show that Stauch's defense attorneys filed a report, the contents of which are unknown, to the court on Thursday.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
No it wasn’t. Many months later, April in fact, Grusing brilliantly laid his cards in the table and buried Barry. Well, he let Barry dig his own grave. Lies mean not only something; they mean everything.

Having not read this in a long time, the Sheila incident really stands out as a gigantic red flag to me.

Especially in the context of the security cameras and him being able to get the feed on his phone.

Coming back to this so many months later, I do find this moment of the interview to be very revealing

"I know that all that stuff looks bad, but it's just crazy that that stuff's even a part of this. I mean it's crazy how that stuff ironically is part of this. It just makes no sense. To me. Like why would God allow pieces like that, that have to be answered in this situation"

In the proceeding conversation before this moment BM concedes that SM would be communicating with her phone if she was able to on Saturday night.

Barry said "yeah" shrugs his shoulders and looks down

and then

But Jonny when you say that, that makes it l... , that makes me look like the bad guy

Like you can see the lightbulb turning on in a very dim room here.

He thought it was one way, then it was the other way.

Confronted with the chipmunk story and the left turn on top of this Barry starts moaning about 'the stuff".

This is fascinating to me, because he clearly gives up trying to account for any of it. He never was going to confess to it, though they nearly did trap him with the 'you were just a betrayed man trying to save your marriage thing".

This is the moment he realises that its not going to work. I'd love to know exactly how he understands the word "ironic" because that is a very interesting word to throw in there - he repeated the whole sentence just to put ironic in there as his main point. "Coincidence?" "unexpected?" In any case, he is saying it is ironic to him. Why is that? Why is it ironic? Because he made those things up as throwaway things so can't account for them?

What i do take from it however, is that he wants Grusing to believe, that he, Barry, the guy who was there on Saturday is awfully confused just like the agents. In fact only God can explain this! Barry is the victim!

And then the killer moment

"If she's (pause) going through this, all this stuff I found out since January. And maybe God wanted to protect the girls from heartache. I mean I don't know but ..."

He tells us why he did it the way he did it.

No it wasn’t. Many months later, April in fact, Grusing brilliantly laid his cards in the table and buried Barry. Well, he let Barry dig his own grave. Lies mean not only something; they mean everything.

Failed strategy that stinks of preferential treatment. Going to Suzanne's house for an interview with Barry, Bbq steaks , and pray. Ridiculous. Judge Murphy heard the "brilliant" interviews granted bail and change of venue.

Selective Transcipt probably reads- because I doubt they video taped a 6 hour bbq and prayer session.

BM- "Hey guys. How's everyone want their steaks cooked" it's in God hands. Everyone got something to drink. I don't know what happened to my wife. Pass the A1.

Grusing- what were you doing the night of May 9 2020. Can someone pass the ketchup ?

Brilliant

Coming back to this so many months later, I do find this moment of the interview to be very revealing

In the proceeding conversation before this moment BM concedes that SM would be communicating with her phone if she was able to on Saturday night.

and then

Like you can see the lightbulb turning on in a very dim room here.

He thought it was one way, then it was the other way.

Confronted with the chipmunk story and the left turn on top of this Barry starts moaning about 'the stuff".

This is fascinating to me, because he clearly gives up trying to account for any of it. He never was going to confess to it, though they nearly did trap him with the 'you were just a betrayed man trying to save your marriage thing".

This is the moment he realises that its not going to work. I'd love to know exactly how he understands the word "ironic" because that is a very interesting word to throw in there - he repeated the whole sentence just to put ironic in there as his main point. "Coincidence?" "unexpected?" In any case, he is saying it is ironic to him. Why is that? Why is it ironic? Because he made those things up as throwaway things so can't account for them?

What i do take from it however, is that he wants Grusing to believe, that he, Barry, the guy who was there on Saturday is awfully confused just like the agents. In fact only God can explain this! Barry is the victim!

And then the killer moment

He tells us why he did it the way he did it.
bbm
Ironic for him might be, if it was done a lot of "stuff", even with a gun, even in a hurry, even with cell phones, even with bikes, even with cars, even in presence of an unfaithful wife, done by BM like an evil murderer would also do - and he did aaaall that stuff WITHOUT being a murderer (but a godly nice husband/father/man). ;)

Selective Transcipt probably reads- because I doubt they video taped a 6 hour bbq and prayer session.

BM- "Hey guys. How's everyone want their steaks cooked" it's in God hands. Everyone got something to drink. I don't know what happened to my wife. Pass the A1.

Grusing- what were you doing the night of May 9 2020. Can someone pass the ketchup ?

Brilliant

This wasn't at the BBQ interview

this happened the next year

there are stills from the video in the AA

Sure it was all recorded

bbm
Ironic for him might be, if it was done a lot of "stuff", even with a gun, even in a hurry, even with cell phones, even with bikes, even with cars, even in presence of an unfaithful wife, done by BM like an evil murderer would also do - and he did aaaall that stuff WITHOUT being a murderer (but a godly nice husband/father/man). ;)

I was wondering at first if he just meant it was all a terrible coincidence

But now I think he found it ironic in the moment.

First he says "it's crazy that stuff" is part of this. That stuff in context means the left turn and the chipmunks. Then he repeats it and says its ironic - i think that means when he said it, he was struck by the irony of it, so he repeated it and inserted the word which creates a new emphasis - so somehow there is a contradiction to him - compared to something unsaid.

So I wonder if he found it ironic that it was that stuff that gave him away compared to something else.

Brilliant
"The fallacy of non sequitur (“it does not follow”) occurs when there is not even a deceptively plausible appearance of valid reasoning, because there is an obvious lack of connection between the given premises and the conclusion drawn from them." Encyclopedia Brittanica

Failed strategy that stinks of preferential treatment. Going to Suzanne's house for an interview with Barry, Bbq steaks , and pray. Ridiculous. Judge Murphy heard the "brilliant" interviews granted bail and change of venue.
"The fallacy of non sequitur (“it does not follow”) occurs when there is not even a deceptively plausible appearance of valid reasoning, because there is an obvious lack of connection between the given premises and the conclusion drawn from them."

Encyclopedia Brittanica

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member