Identified! MI - Detroit, WhtFem UP8272, 18-20, in garbage dump, recent childbirth, Feb'87 - n/a

Seems a bit ridiculous keeping her identity from the public how many years down the track it’s been since she was identified , considering that no perp has been charged as far as I know. obviously they don’t have any solid leads, or so it appears. However by disclosing her identity it would most likely generate tips and maybe even solve the case. If this was a suicide I’d completely understand , it’s up to the family, but it’s not.
Maybe her child requested privacy. However, as he name was leaked occasionally on this thread, I remember that her ancestry profile stated her year of death correctly, it was probably updated after her identity was confirmed. I am wondering if the stone on her grave was changed as well.

Maybe her child requested privacy. However, as he name was leaked occasionally on this thread, I remember that her ancestry profile stated her year of death correctly, it was probably updated after her identity was confirmed. I am wondering if the stone on her grave was changed as well.
I really am fed up with people leaking names.

A lovely person posted Lyle Stevik's information online which not only violated his family's wishes of anonymity, but also lapsed over the additional problem with pictures of his corpse continuing to be on the internet.

Whoever killed Harper (not her name - just a pseudonym based off the area she was found in) might already be known to authorities and perhaps they are preparing a case against the suspect(s).

A lovely person posted Lyle Stevik's information online which not only violated his family's wishes of anonymity, but also lapsed over the additional problem with pictures of his corpse continuing to be on the internet.

Whoever killed Harper (not her name - just a pseudonym based off the area she was found in) might already be known to authorities and perhaps they are preparing a case against the suspect(s).
I understand it, I honestly don’t remember what was the name and I think it is totally up to the family if they want to release the name. On the other hand, this person sounded as somebody close to her, may be her relative or a close friend, so this person was devastated they can not speak openly about the case.

There was another Jane Doe (the DDP case) where the daughter of the woman claimed the Jane Doe was her mother and that she was contacted by the law enforcement who informed her about it, however, her posts were deleted and there is no official information so far. I mean in some cases it is probably the ongoing investigation which prevents the name of being released. But also I understand that in case of murders names eventually would be released

Last edited:
Also, they might a suspect. And only the suspect knows who she is and info about her death. Also, imagine the shock of learning your mother didn't abandon you, etc.

I remember the name that was mentioned on here and I tried to search it. One photo does come up of a young girl with this same name, she also passed away in Detroit in 1987 and looking at her photo I would have no trouble believing it’s the same girl as the sketch but younger, having said that, I have no idea if it is Harper or someone on here was just talking rubbish when they said the name.

Identity is still withheld in the cases of Pillar Point Doe and Philadelphia Jane Doe (both DDP cases), and they were both identified in 2019..
Tbh, I'm fine with just knowing Harper has been identified and her loved ones knows what happened to her. To learn her story would be interesting, but I'm not entitled to it. Happy to see this might be a fully solved case, with ID and (hopefully) an arrest.

Oh wow that’s something I’ve never considered, that this case might be fully solved including an arrest and someone charged. Well if they don’t want to tell us her name it would be nice to at least know if it’s now a fully closed case with the person responsible apprehended

Oh wow that’s something I’ve never considered, that this case might be fully solved including an arrest and someone charged. Well if they don’t want to tell us her name it would be nice to at least know if it’s now a fully closed case with the person responsible apprehended
Sorry but I think that’s very inconsiderate of whomever..we should at least get told that much-it’s a closed case..even if they do want to keep names etc a secret..

I get a bit pissed off when names are withheld without any reason why. At least with Lyle it was specified that his family requested him to remain anonymous after his identification. That I am OK with. I’m not OK with his information being leaked. I know his name but I’m not saying it because he’s always gonna be Lyle Stevik to us. We respect him and his family’s wishes. Especially with all his post mortem photos floating around, gosh, just let him rest please.

As for Harper I have not seen anything as to why she still has her name withheld after all this time since her identification. Whenever NAMUS takes down a page or a Doe Network page says “Identified… Identified… Identified” without any warning or news or context I’m just wondering “What on earth?”

I feel like if the family wants some privacy, like in Lyle’s case, that information should be released and the decedent remain anonymous. Now if it’s like Kelly (El Dorado Jane Doe) and the last name only is withheld that’s fine too. I’m just so confused as to why her name is being withheld. There’s no context or information. At least she’s been identified and her family has got some closure.

I remember the name that was mentioned on here and I tried to search it. One photo does come up of a young girl with this same name, she also passed away in Detroit in 1987 and looking at her photo I would have no trouble believing it’s the same girl as the sketch but younger, having said that, I have no idea if it is Harper or someone on here was just talking rubbish when they said the name.
It could be a leak. However with another case where the name was withheld and leaked they got it right. Sure you know who that one is.

Sorry but I think that’s very inconsiderate of whomever..we should at least get told that much-it’s a closed case..even if they do want to keep names etc a secret..

It’s not inconsiderate; I’m sure whomever decided not to release has their reasons. This was a case I’ve always followed closely, and I very much would like to see a photo of her smiling and hear her story. Having said that, we are strangers on the internet and are owed absolutely nothing. Her family and her now grown child are the only people who have a right to the information (although I do hope they choose to share with us at some point).

It’s not inconsiderate; I’m sure whomever decided not to release has their reasons. This was a case I’ve always followed closely, and I very much would like to see a photo of her smiling and hear her story. Having said that, we are strangers on the internet and are owed absolutely nothing. Her family and her now grown child are the only people who have a right to the information (although I do hope they choose to share with us at some point).
Exactly. Although I would prefer to have her information released I respect others’ privacy and decisions. Everyone has a right to privacy, especially her child who I’m sure really wants closure so they can grieve the loss of their mother in peace and secrecy.

Well I personally think it’s very inconsiderate to not at least tell us if this is a fully solved case. Maybe you’re ok wondering if her killer is still out their living free but I certainly am not.

It could be a leak. However with another case where the name was withheld and leaked they got it right. Sure you know who that one is.
Do you mean poor Lyle Stevik?
In regards to Harper, I don’t know if it was a leak or someone maybe putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5.
I did see a photo on ancestry of the girl who’s name was mentioned and it certainly wouldn’t be stretch to believe it is her however she looked like a young teen on this pic, but def strongly resembled the sketch IMO

Do you mean poor Lyle Stevik?
In regards to Harper, I don’t know if it was a leak or someone maybe putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5.
I did see a photo on ancestry of the girl who’s name was mentioned and it certainly wouldn’t be stretch to believe it is her however she looked like a young teen on this pic, but def strongly resembled the sketch IMO
Yes, I mean him.
It may have been a leak. I didn’t see anything about it since WS mods have since had the post removed.

Stumbled across this article from 2020, written about exhumations of does from the cemetery where Harper Jane Doe was buried (in a paupers grave apparently).

Police, FBI exhume bodies at United Memorial Gardens in Plymouth

"Last year, they focused on 21 cases and we were able to collect thirteen samples and submit them. It allowed them to help a man who submitted his DNA, hoping a relative’s match in a missing person database would help him find his mom. She went missing when he was a young child. Only now does he know, she was murdered.

“His mom didn’t leave him," Sgt. Jones said. "She didn’t just up and decide she didn’t want a kid anymore. Something tragic happened to her."

Sgt. Jones said letting that man know that means the world to her. She says if you have a missing relative you can put your DNA in the system and look for a match.

“He never gave up and this was in 1987," she said. "So even though it took 30-plus years, he now at least has his mom.""

IMO it seems likely they are referring to Harper JD. Interesting!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back