NC - Sharelle Johnson killed by stray bullet while holding her son in Greensboro, 1 more injured - March 23, 2023 - Deon Monk arrested

MadMcGoo

Staff member
Reaction score

Police said the man accused of shooting and killing 25-year-old Sharelle Johnson is also accused of shooting another person before leaving with his 9-month-old child, prompting an Amber Alert lasting more than 12 hours.

Greensboro police said the man, Deon Lamar Monk, 23, was arrested Friday in Harnett County. <mod note: the child was found unharmed and returned to his mother>

A 20-year-old man was also shot during the incident, he is in the hospital and his condition is unknown.

Deon Monk is being charged with:
  • First-Degree Murder
  • Attempted First-Degree Murder
  • Shooting into Occupied Dwelling
  • Assault on a Female
  • Child Endangerment
  • Assault in the Presence of a Minor
  • Discharge of a Firearm in the City Limits

Thank you MadMcGoo for starting this thread.
It’s no problem! Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

The details are still a bit vague so hopefully there are updates in the following days.

Finally this article explains the confusing details of what happened yesterday. As I was trying to follow this yesterday afternoon the Police did not give the details of the shooting and kidnapping as being associated.
I do not think they even knew the details as it happened.
KOM and mother are safe but an innocent young mother of twins is dead.
I will be following this case.

Last edited:

Sept 11

GREENSBORO, N.C. — A man accused of shooting and killing a woman he didn't know following a fight with his child's mother appeared in court on Monday.

Deon Monk will remain in jail after the judge denied his bond motion. He's charged with first-degree murder.

Police said Deon Monk shot a gun outside the Claremont Apartment community on Phillips Avenue on the afternoon of March 23. The bullet struck 25-year-old Sharelle Johnson, who was inside her home, taking care of her two young children.

Johnson's family members were in court on Monday, there to speak on her behalf.

“I don’t think on behalf of my family that he gets bond, and gets time with his kids. Because my sister doesn’t have that anymore," said Johnson's sister Nynita.

The district attorney argued that Monk was a flight risk and that Johnson was an innocent victim whose children saw what happened.
Monk's attorney asked that he be granted bond with ankle monitoring upon release. The judge denied that request.

Monk's next court hearing is October 23.

Sept 11

GREENSBORO, N.C. — A man accused of shooting and killing a woman he didn't know following a fight with his child's mother appeared in court on Monday.

Deon Monk will remain in jail after the judge denied his bond motion. He's charged with first-degree murder.

Police said Deon Monk shot a gun outside the Claremont Apartment community on Phillips Avenue on the afternoon of March 23. The bullet struck 25-year-old Sharelle Johnson, who was inside her home, taking care of her two young children.

Johnson's family members were in court on Monday, there to speak on her behalf.

“I don’t think on behalf of my family that he gets bond, and gets time with his kids. Because my sister doesn’t have that anymore," said Johnson's sister Nynita.

The district attorney argued that Monk was a flight risk and that Johnson was an innocent victim whose children saw what happened.
Monk's attorney asked that he be granted bond with ankle monitoring upon release. The judge denied that request.

Monk's next court hearing is October 23.
Thank you for posting this, I just saw it in the news. Why would he think he could get bond, because he did not intend to shoot and kill Sharelle Johnson? Oh! and this involved a kidnapping of a child.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DuckierPresents
Back