OH - Pike Co - 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered - 4 Wagner Family Members Arrested #87

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. He has nothing to lose and gets out of jail for court every day during the trial. Probably gets a more preferred lunch at the courthouse. I also would not be surprised if he thinks he can outsmart the prosecution.
Just my opinion only…
If you listen to the hearing - you can find it at this link:

It sounds like a death penalty trial is not a foregone conclusion.

Billy has a long wait for his trial, AW and JW will not be getting a day out for a while then, and after BW trial they will both be officially sentenced - as part of the deal will be to testify against BW, so the families, the witnesses are still unable to put this behind them for a year or two yet, I am hoping real life will let me watch BW trial, I also hope new judge makes JW and AW testify in open court,

Billy has a long wait for his trial, AW and JW will not be getting a day out for a while then, and after BW trial they will both be officially sentenced - as part of the deal will be to testify against BW, so the families, the witnesses are still unable to put this behind them for a year or two yet, I am hoping real life will let me watch BW trial, I also hope new judge makes JW and AW testify in open court,
At least audio if no video…

I agree. He has nothing to lose and gets out of jail for court every day during the trial. Probably gets a more preferred lunch at the courthouse. I also would not be surprised if he thinks he can outsmart the prosecution.
Just my opinion only…
He and Alex Murdaugh have a lot in common, knowing they're guilty, that the evidence is against them, but somehow vain enough to think they can get acquitted.

Does the judge have the option? I was under the impression it was ohio law to allow the witness to opt in or out. I'm probably wrong as usual.

That's the law, though perhaps the judge has some discretion in determining whether the witness needs that level of privacy regarding testimony via video.

JMO, if the reporters are in the courtroom making notes about the testimony, it should be ok. Not optimal, but acceptable.

Yes! For Billy and Jake.

DP is still on the table for Billy and Jake if Jake refuses to testify in Billy's trial.

Note, this serial killer is still in jail and not prison because he hasn't been sentenced yet, not until he is done testifying in Billy's trial.

This is so ironic because Billy (opinion) wouldn't want Jake testifying against him, exposing what he did, but yet at the same time if Jake refuses to testify against him it puts him in jeopardy of getting the DP.

Let's take a look at Ma Barker, I mean Angela.

If Angela refuses to testify it only affects her, she would lose her plea deal, it doesn't affect Billy getting the DP. It is Jake's plea deal that takes the DP off the table for Billy, as it took the DP off for George.

So what would happen to Angela if she refused to testify against Billy? Well, she would lose her plea deal.

Her plea deal allowed for her 8 murder charges to be dropped and to get a sentence capped at 30 years. No parole, no early release. Without her plea deal she gets charged again with the 8 murders and loses her 30 year deal. She then gets faced with being sentenced to multiple life sentences.

It's complicated. I assume they wouldn't bring back the DP against her if she were to break her plea agreement and refuse to testify. I think she would end up with LWOP. At any rate, there is no indication she will not testify.

Her jail time counts towards her 30 years, she has 25 years and 8 months left to go.

On November 18, 2048 Angela Wagner will walk out of Ohio State Prison a free woman at the age of 78.

She said she took the plea deal so Jake wouldn't have to testify against her and to be able to hug her grand children. Right. Her grand children will be 35 and 36 years old.

2 Cents
I believe this has been the best reply I have ever gotten :D
It would be nice if they all suddenly lost their minds and we could get them all LWOP wouldn't it? I doubt they would get the DP but I could live with LWOP. 30 years isn't enough time for AW because with that sentence she still has hope. I don't want her to have hope not when it was her direct crazy which caused this. <modsnip: no source link>

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be nice if they all suddenly lost their minds and we could get them all LWOP wouldn't it? I doubt they would get the DP but I could live with LWOP. 30 years isn't enough time for AW because with that sentence she still has hope. I don't want her to have hope not when it was her direct crazy which caused this. <modsnip: no source link>
I would like to see a well known Psychiatrist or Psychologist interview the Wagners to get an idea how they got SO mentally screwed up…

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as this group planned I would of thought they would of made a plan to get one person off so one of them would have the children. Like George being the youngest.
George is just a year older than Jake.

They did think some of them wouldn't be arrested. They were talking about if some of them were arrested, the ones not arrested would take revenge against anyone who goes against them. Also the ones not arrested would plow a bulldozer, something like that, through the jail to help those arrested escape. Totally out of control. Delusional, out of touch with reality.

Sounds like they were escalating their murders.

After they killed 8 people they were "out of their @#$% minds" talking about going after anyone who was against them and going after the Sheriff, lead BCI investigator Ryan Scheiderer, and the Attorney General Mike DeWine who is now the governor. Their egos and entitlement went through the roof!

They went into detail how they would kill Jake's wife to her face if she hurt his child. They threatened to kill her family if they visited. They told Rita to lie and basically go to prison for them, they told FW what to say to the GJ and grilled her about her GJ testimony the judge told her not to discuss. A friend of Billy's reported him to law enforcement afraid he would kill someone.

This crime family was coming unglued at the seams and would have killed again I believe. Very deranged dangerous evil people, need to be off the streets to protect society and to protect those children.

Regarding Billy's trial.........

Billy has no chance at trial, I don't care how clever he thinks he is assisting in his own defense. His attorney said they gave him his options and he wants a trial. Sounds like they would have been fine to let him plead guilty. His attorney didn't sound like most defense attorneys who tell the media their client is innocent. Who try to put a little doubt out there in potential jurors' minds.

In the beginning Billy's attorney told the media they (LE prosecution) thought he was the mastermind but that he couldn't be with only a 7th grade education. But now his attorneys talk about how intelligent he is and helping in his own defense. Well if Billy wants it out there that he is clever enough to mastermind 8 murders then he is not getting off to a great start on his defense of not committing 8 murders. Billy knows best, tells his lawyers when he isn't happy with their defense. OK then.

His ego is so big I bet he will be "chomping at the bit" to take the stand and set the record straight. All against his attorneys' better judgment. Can you imagine Billy on the stand? Be worth driving down for that.

2 Cents - how it looks to me - can provide links

Last edited:
Thanks.

I do think they have already "lost their minds" as I explained in my above post.

They all except Angie will get LWOP (my opinion how I see it)

George
Has already been sentenced to LWOP and even if Jake refused to testify in Billy's trial it won't affect George's sentence. His sentence is a done deal.

Jake
Jake's attorney said that "he knows he will die in prison" and it was said that Jake could get 60 years for his other 15 charges on top of his multiple life murder sentences. He has to testify in Billy's trial to avoid the DP.

Angela
Angela has her plea deal for 30 years no early release no parole. She must testify in Billy's trial to keep her 30 years. Even if Jake refused to testify in Billy's trial it won't affect Angela's sentence as long as she does testify in his trial. Angela has 25 years and 8 months to go.

Billy
I believe he will be convinced of 8 murders and most, if not all, of his other 14 charges. He will be sentenced to LWOP unless Jake refuses to testify in his trial. In that case, there would have to be a separate Penalty Phase Trial for the jury to decide on the DP for him.

Thanks.

I do think they have already "lost their minds" as I explained in my above post.

They all except Angie will get LWOP (my opinion how I see it)

George
Has already been sentenced to LWOP and even if Jake refused to testify in Billy's trial it won't affect George's sentence. His sentence is a done deal.

Jake
Jake's attorney said that "he knows he will die in prison" and it was said that Jake could get 60 years for his other 15 charges on top of his multiple life murder sentences. He has to testify in Billy's trial to avoid the DP.

Angela
Angela has her plea deal for 30 years no early release no parole. She must testify in Billy's trial to keep her 30 years. Even if Jake refused to testify in Billy's trial it won't affect Angela's sentence as long as she does testify in his trial. Angela has 25 years and 8 months to go.

Billy
I believe he will be convinced of 8 murders and most, if not all, of his other 14 charges. He will be sentenced to LWOP unless Jake refuses to testify in his trial. In that case, there would have to be a separate Penalty Phase Trial for the jury to decide on the DP for him.

Just to add... George IV also received (in addition to the 8 consecutive life sentences):

Over 120 years in prison for firearm specifications attached to the charges and other charges he faced.

"The bottom line: Ohio’s death penalty is a farce and a broken promise of justice – and it must be fixed. This discussion has been a long time coming, so let’s have it now. If Ohio chooses to end capital punishment, let it own the decision in the full light of day. I will stand on the other side, with the families of the slain.

Brother Tony Rhoden and sister Wilma McCoy attended BW3 March 15th hearing.​

Next Pike County murder trial won't start until early 2024

Where will the Wagner trial be held?​

Between now and next year, Collins and fellow defense attorney Thomas F. Hayes will revise their motion for a change of venue in Wagner III's trial. That will include an analysis of "presumed prejudice" in seeking a site where potential jurors are not already very familiar with the Rhoden killings and charges against Wagners.

They said they expect to file the revised motion in May, with a hearing on the request to follow in the summer.

Special Prosecutor Angela Canepa, meanwhile, is preparing a document revealing whether the state of Ohio will seek the death penalty if Wagner III is convicted on eight charges of aggravated murder. Those are among the 22 he is facing for the deaths of seven members of the Rhoden family and one future member.

"The bottom line: Ohio’s death penalty is a farce and a broken promise of justice – and it must be fixed. This discussion has been a long time coming, so let’s have it now. If Ohio chooses to end capital punishment, let it own the decision in the full light of day. I will stand on the other side, with the families of the slain.

Is that the same AG Yost who implied that putting the Wagners on trial for murdering the Rhoden family was a waste of time and resources? The same AG Yost who sent the cases back to Pike County, forcing AC to resign from her job at the AG's office and go to work for Pike County prosecutor's office?

I wonder what he thinks about those cases now?

I came up with 220 years in prison.... plus 4 months... :)
Lol, I guess it really doesn't matter since he can actually only live out the one life sentence unless he reincarnates to do his 7 others. :D

Then color me confused as I read it again and it says:

"George Wagner IV was sentenced in Pike County Court to life in prison without parole after being found guilty on Nov. 30 of 22 counts, including eight for aggravated murder. The judge stated he will serve eight mandatory life sentences, one for each count of aggravated murder along with an additional 121 years, 81 of which are mandatory."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member