4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 76

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Glock?
May or may not be mentioned or relevant at trial.

BBM & rsbm

imo jmo the gun doesn't seem to pass the test, but this is just based on what we know at this time:

Idaho Rules of Evidence Rule 401. Test for Relevant Evidence.

Evidence is relevant if:
(a) it has any tendency to make a fact more or less probable than it would be without the evidence; and
(b) the fact is of consequence in determining the action

(Adopted March 26, 2018, effective July 1, 2018.)

more details:

I hit a paywall for that article. Can you summarize it?
In my other reading, I discovered there are two different categories. Visual Snow and Visual Snow Syndrome. People with Visual Snow Syndrome suffer additional non visual symptoms. The condition can range from mild to life altering. It can go away on its own after a period or worsen over time. If he still suffered from it, and it was documented, it might come up in the sentencing phase? MOO

I also found the Visual Snow Initiative which has videos of individuals describing how they first noticed it, sudden vs. gradual: stange random symptoms as much as a year before seeing visual snow or just woke up with it one morning.
Yes, I believe it absolutely will come up in the sentencing phase - any health conditions he may have such as visual snow and OCD. Anything that is a mitigating factor will come up. This includes extensive mental health evaluations.
I don't think there is any likelihood that all 12 jurors would find Kohberger not guilty but I do have some concern regarding the penalty phase. Death by firing squad could be too extreme for some members of the jury. <modsnip>
If the defense can get enough experts to convince even one juror that he has mental health issues - a strong mitigating factor - that juror may not want to send a person with those issues in front of a firing squad.
But it would have to be a bona fide mental health disorder because juries are less impressed with depression, antisocial personality disorder, or bipolar disorder.

LWOP will be a given if he is found guilty but death becomes more likely with multiple murders and the victims suffered beforehand - aggravating factors. When victims suffer it is considered a heinous factor in law.

The jury is more likely to both convict and to give the DP with the type of crime BK has allegedly committed.

A mental health defense is his only way out of a death sentence in my opinion.

2 Cents

Aggravating Factors - presented by prosecution for the DP​

Jurors are more likely to sentence to death defendants who have committed a heinous, brutal, or cruel murder. Such crimes include those involving a single victim who suffers a lot of pain before death and also crimes with multiple victims. The brutality of a murder triggers jurors’ desire for retribution, or punishing someone for the harm that he or she has caused.

Several lines of research show that jurors treat more severe crimes more harshly when assigning punishment in general, not just in death penalty cases. Usually, in death penalty trials, a separate listed factor is included for murders with multiple victims, because heinousness is a specific legal term measuring how much suffering occurred before the victim’s death.

Mitigating Factors - presented by defense for LWOP​

Although jurors have trouble understanding the legal definition of mitigating factors, there are some factors that affect their decisions. The factors that have the largest effect are, generally speaking, those that are out of the defendant’s control, are more severe, and reduce the defendant’s responsibility for the murder.

Mental illness is the most powerful mitigating factor, even if it is not enough to make the defendant legally insane. Recognizing this large effect, the American Bar Association has recently called for the exclusion of severely mentally ill defendants from eligibility for the death penalty. Jurors likewise believe that a mental disorder can make a defendant less responsible for his or her crime. However, all mental disorders are not the same.

Disorders such as depression, antisocial personality disorder, or bipolar disorder have less effect on jurors, if any. Not much research has addressed these types of mental illness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Extensive article in the Boise Statesman regarding the "white snow" issue that Kohberger suffered from starting in his
early teens. Interesting if this will be used by the defense.
Many threads ago, an article including writings of a teenage Bryan Kohburger was mentioned. I can't find the exact article, but here is a link which is similar. 'I can't take it': Bryan Kohberger said his dad Michael is 'good man' he 'treated like dirt' in old post. It's evident from his writings that he knew something regarding his lack of emotion was gravely amiss. Only twice have I seen any mention of him having fond emotions toward others - his father, to whom he refers as "a good man" whom he "treated like dirt", and his mother, and two sisters to whom he mouthed "I love you", https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...bryan-kohberger-idaho-family-hearing-b2255552 in his court extradition appearance after being arrested. From all accounts, and there have been many, it seems that his family did everything possible to support and assist him over the years. Their grief, along with that of the victims' loved ones, must be truly horrendous I cannot begin to imagine the pain of all these bereft people.

Thank you! I am glad to be here.

I was just wondering about the schooling because even just starting out, you can get an Associate’s in Criminal Justice, then move from there, but like you said he started with Psychology, which in my opinion leads me to believe that maybe he wasn’t always thinking about murder. Maybe as a child he was suffering from his own mental health illness such as the “white snow” mentioned. He was heading for a journey to understand himself.

Then something may have changed in him, maybe he was mocked one too many times, ignored, let’s down or failing to find the answers he was looking for. Then after obtaining the BA it wasn’t enough. He turned, he then switched to the criminal justice degree. Started publishing online forums from DeSales wanting criminals to answer these kinds of questions, that maybe a potential murderer would want to know. The thought of that is scary. Can there be a theory or link made just from looking at his schooling? Do you all think this has a relation and can show us a pattern or even when he changed towards a path of no return.

I’ve opened my mind to different theories and possibilities because there aren’t any answers.

Let me just say when Kaylees father mentioned thet in the weeks before, Kaylee thought she had a stalker - Could it have been BK? What if it was? Would that gives us an MO? Did he want Kaylee? Did she turn him down? Could this be a reason he murders these poor students.

Or was it just the right house, with the right students, at the right time for a man that had a sick fantasy of murder.

If it was Kaylee he was after, why did he kill Ethan and Xana? While Maddie was simply in the bed with her so he couldn’t leave her behind. It had to be done. He left survivors, particularly one survivor that seen him, he continues out the door not even trying to harm her.

As you can see my mind races when thinking about this case. So many questions with little information.

When the probable cause affidavit came out, I listened and read it over and over and man if I just can’t make sense of it. Why kill 4 of them and leave 2 alive if it was mass murder he was after. The survivor seen him and he left her alive. But Ethan and Xana died as a result of finding the wrong room? Did he believe that Kaylee was in that room.

The crazy thing is, Kaylee didn’t even live there anymore. She just happened to be visiting her best friend to show her that she got a brand new car. Was he stalking her and knew that she was going to be there that weekend and just attacked because of convenience? The first room he entered was the wrong room, so on the the next one he goes. Therefor leaving the other survivors because the deed was done?

All of this is just me thinking out loud, or well typing to you guys in hopes that maybe I can make a bit more sense of the awful tragedy.

So yes this is all my own opinions, thoughts, and questions. Thanks for your response.
I am from just outside Pullman WA (now living in PA…go figure. 1. WSU is often sought out for the criminal psychologist program because it has one of the best “body farms” in the country. So it’s not hard to see how someone infatuated with death or murder would be satisfied in that area. I’m not saying he was a serial killer. He seems sloppy to me. But also-his comment about going to Moscow to shop is actually right on. Pullman has nothing for shopping and the surrounding area is all farm land for hundreds of miles. They say there is always a little bit of truth in every lie. I’ll give him that one.

Welcome to WS, @CrimeKitty29 !

So many question & so few answers while we wait for the preliminary hearing!

I do think Kaylee was a target although he likely wanted to commit mass murder & choose this house for that purpose.

As to why, neurobiology was recently mentioned in the threads. While I think BK is wired wrong, so to speak, I think nothing will excuse the heinous crime of taking four vibrant young people's lives & terrorizing two college towns.

Looking forward to healing your perspectives. Have you read the PCA?

JMO
I also tend to agree he let impulse get to him. Sending the fb messages (that she never even knew she had.) leaving survivors…this was not well thought out.

I am from just outside Pullman WA (now living in PA…go figure. 1. WSU is often sought out for the criminal psychologist program because it has one of the best “body farms” in the country. So it’s not hard to see how someone infatuated with death or murder would be satisfied in that area. I’m not saying he was a serial killer. He seems sloppy to me. But also-his comment about going to Moscow to shop is actually right on. Pullman has nothing for shopping and the surrounding area is all farm land for hundreds of miles. They say there is always a little bit of truth in every lie. I’ll give him that one.

Glock Listed on PA Warrant. BK's???

snipped for focus @Nila Aella
Yes, looks like that to me too, w "Glock 22 Gen 5 40 caliber" w [not sure, "RM KV 501" or "RM KV S01", maybe a serial number?]

#28 is only a document relating to the Glock, not the gun.
#4 is the Glock itself.

Do we KNOW the gun was actually BK's (not a friend, fam, stranger)?
Did he buy it? New or used? Thru licensed Fed. F-A Dealer?
Receive as a gift? Or obtain unlawfully, perhaps during one of his (hypothesized) creepy-crawly episodes? After all, the "record of sale" is not necessarily a sale to him.

Did he obtain gun around same time as formulating his lethal scheme? Was that (Glock or other handgun) his first choice of weapon, which he later decided against? why? Too noisy or did he learn this Glock was defective or non-operational?

Cabelas.com, currently $569.99: "... fifth generation 40 caliber version of the duty-sized handgun... . It's the choice firearm of many law enforcement agencies worldwide." More below.
Round capacity: 15 plus 1.

Thinking aloud, drawing no conclusions. [Edit, slight clarification].

Also note below: "ambidextrous" & "larger hands."
" The GLOCK® 22 Gen5 Semi-Auto Pistol is a fifth generation 40 caliber version of the duty-sized handgun that started it all for GLOCK. It's the choice firearm of many law enforcement agencies worldwide....
ambidextrous slide release. The magazine catch is reversible. Plus, the front of the firearm is now beveled for easier reholstering...
for those with larger hands. ...
an integral accessory rail for a wide variety of light and laser accessories."
GLOCK production ("born on") dates serial numbers:
I found discussions w references but not a definitive answer.
Yes, TY!
#4 the glock
#14 three glock 40 caliber magazines (empty).
#28 purchase documentation for the glock
Both #4 and #28 serial number? They do look different, especially the last three digits, but this may be related to the penmanship? MOO

? who the gun belonged to? Initially I thought LE would only take it if the documentation showed him as the purchaser. I now think LE would still want to check it for trace evidence/case matches in case it was gifted to him at some point (see below on transfer exemptions). JMO

Because there is an application and record of sale, it looks like a legal sale to me. I couldn't find any mention of an application in ID laws so I'm leaning toward it being purchased in PA. JMO

? when the gun was purchased? The no ammo thing still bothers me. IMO It doesn't make sense to purchase a gun and not purchase ammo with it at the same time. It could be a firearm purchased some time previously and at some point later, there was no need to replace the ammo b/c it was no longer in use? MOO

In PA:

Any individual or dealer selling a handgun is required to sell or transfer it at the place of business of a licensed dealer or county sheriff’s office. Transfers of all firearms (handguns, rifles and shotguns) by a licensed dealer are subject to an instant records check of the purchaser. The purchaser must sign a transfer application/record of sale for the purchase of a handgun. No transfer application/record is necessary to transfer a rifle or shotgun. Transfers of handguns between spouses, parent and child, grandparent and grandchild or between active law enforcement officers are exempt from the above requirements.

When purchasing a handgun in a private sale, the buyer is legally required to complete a firearm transfer at a federally licensed dealer.

Yes, TY!
#4 the glock
#14 three glock 40 caliber magazines (empty).
#28 purchase documentation for the glock
Both #4 and #28 serial number? They do look different, especially the last three digits, but this may be related to the penmanship? MOO

? who the gun belonged to? Initially I thought LE would only take it if the documentation showed him as the purchaser. I now think LE would still want to check it for trace evidence/case matches in case it was gifted to him at some point (see below on transfer exemptions). JMO

Because there is an application and record of sale, it looks like a legal sale to me. I couldn't find any mention of an application in ID laws so I'm leaning toward it being purchased in PA. JMO

? when the gun was purchased? The no ammo thing still bothers me. IMO It doesn't make sense to purchase a gun and not purchase ammo with it at the same time. It could be a firearm purchased some time previously and at some point later, there was no need to replace the ammo b/c it was no longer in use? MOO

In PA:

Any individual or dealer selling a handgun is required to sell or transfer it at the place of business of a licensed dealer or county sheriff’s office. Transfers of all firearms (handguns, rifles and shotguns) by a licensed dealer are subject to an instant records check of the purchaser. The purchaser must sign a transfer application/record of sale for the purchase of a handgun. No transfer application/record is necessary to transfer a rifle or shotgun. Transfers of handguns between spouses, parent and child, grandparent and grandchild or between active law enforcement officers are exempt from the above requirements.

When purchasing a handgun in a private sale, the buyer is legally required to complete a firearm transfer at a federally licensed dealer.

I'm trying to think of what the significance of the gun would be. I think it is standard procedure to seize guns when searching someone's property who is a murder suspect.

I think it is perhaps significant if BK purchased the glock. We don't know if the glock belonged to one of his family members.

It could be significant if BK purchased the glock in the year he went to Washington, or if he purchased it after the murders. I think less significant if it was purchased many years ago by him.

I have wondered if BK actually was planning to use a gun but decided not to because he was afraid of the noise it would make. Also afraid of the bullets being left behind and possible shell casings that could get left behind.

He chose to use a knife for a reason. One reason could be that nothing is left behind and it is quieter. Even with a suppressor on a gun there is noise.

This is one reason why I find it hard to believe that he deliberately left his sheath behind. He used a knife that leaves nothing behind and isn't registered like a gun is. A knife that probably can't be traced to him like a gun can be. So then why risk leaving DNA or prints by leaving a sheath?

The sheath DNA got him arrested even though it is not in the PCA.

I'm trying to think of what the significance of the gun would be. I think it is standard procedure to seize guns when searching someone's property who is a murder suspect.

I think it is perhaps significant if BK purchased the glock. We don't know if the glock belonged to one of his family members.

It could be significant if BK purchased the glock in the year he went to Washington, or if he purchased it after the murders. I think less significant if it was purchased many years ago by him.

I have wondered if BK actually was planning to use a gun but decided not to because he was afraid of the noise it would make. Also afraid of the bullets being left behind and possible shell casings that could get left behind.

He chose to use a knife for a reason. One reason could be that nothing is left behind and it is quieter. Even with a suppressor on a gun there is noise.

This is one reason why I find it hard to believe that he deliberately left his sheath behind. He used a knife that leaves nothing behind and isn't registered like a gun is. A knife that probably can't be traced to him like a gun can be. So then why risk leaving DNA or prints by leaving a sheath?
Perhaps he intended to use it on himself at one point.

The sheath DNA got him arrested even though it is not in the PCA.

@Cool Cats, the DNA is definitely in the PCA, MOO:

I also later noticed what appeared to be a tan leather knife sheath laying on the bed next to Mogen's right side (when viewed from the door). The sheath was later processed and had "Ka-Bar" 'USMC" and the United State’s Marine Corps eagle globe and anchor insignia stamped on the outside of it. The Idaho state lab later located a single source of male DNA (suspect Profile) left on the button snap of the knife sheath. (Pg 2, paragraph 3)

On December 27, 2022, Pennsylvania Agents recovered the trash from the Kohberger family residence located in Albrightsville, PA. That evidence was sent to the Idaho State Lab for testing. On December 28, 2022, the Idaho State Lab reported that a DNA profile obtained from the trash and the DNA profile ((suspect profile)) obtained from the sheath, identified a male as not being excluded as the biological father of Suspect Profile. At least 99.9998% of the male population would be expected to be excluded from the possibility of being the suspect's biological father. (Pg 18, paragraph 2)

*I added ((suspect profile)) in double brackets for clarity

@Cool Cats, the DNA is definitely in the PCA, MOO:

I also later noticed what appeared to be a tan leather knife sheath laying on the bed next to Mogen's right side (when viewed from the door). The sheath was later processed and had "Ka-Bar" 'USMC" and the United State’s Marine Corps eagle globe and anchor insignia stamped on the outside of it. The Idaho state lab later located a single source of male DNA (suspect Profile) left on the button snap of the knife sheath. (Pg 2, paragraph 3)

On December 27, 2022, Pennsylvania Agents recovered the trash from the Kohberger family residence located in Albrightsville, PA. That evidence was sent to the Idaho State Lab for testing. On December 28, 2022, the Idaho State Lab reported that a DNA profile obtained from the trash and the DNA profile ((suspect profile)) obtained from the sheath, identified a male as not being excluded as the biological father of Suspect Profile. At least 99.9998% of the male population would be expected to be excluded from the possibility of being the suspect's biological father. (Pg 18, paragraph 2)

*I added ((suspect profile)) in double brackets for clarity
Thanks.

I don't know why there was a discussion about the DNA not being a part of the probable cause.

Wait, it had to do with the judge saying it wasn't going to be counted as part of the probable cause.
I assume because it has to be proven to be BK's by an expert.

If you or anyone can find this information by the judge I'd appreciate it. Seems a bit confusing that it is in the PCA yet not being considered for searches and arrest, yet it is the DNA that led to BK being the top suspect.

Thanks.

I don't know why there was a discussion about the DNA not being A part of the probable cause.

Wait, it had to do with the judge saying it wasn't going to be counted as part of the probable cause.
I assume because it has to be proven to be BK's by an expert.

If you or anyone can find thus information by the judge I'd appreciate it. Seems A bit confusing that it is in the PCA yet not being considered for searches and arrests, yet it is the DNA that led to BK being the top suspect.

I think the disconnect comes from the discussion of genetic genealogy. I’m in the minority, but IMO it wasn’t used, and here’s why:

There are 2 million people in the databases available to law enforcement. That is 0.006 or 0.6% of the US population, about 6 in every 1,000 people. The overwhelming majority of people in those databases are of Northern European ancestry and BCK is more than 1/2 Italian. These points are made by CeCe Moore in this article:

I also mentioned earlier about the sample of DNA representing BCK’s father being flown back to Idaho on the same airplane that would later transport BCK. That occurred the day before his arrest. It all came together for me after this post from @finkleiseinhorn on the day the PCA was released. That was a Pilatus PC-12 belonging to the Pennsylvania State Police, N879ST.

81389DF8-9D16-444D-BB25-21DD8DD0B139.jpeg
BDA93619-DE4D-41AD-BFD7-C98DBE280B0F.jpeg

Also, there is this article in Forensic’s Magazine:

Last edited:
UofI's letter to parents informing them of the plans to demolish the house. Also says when they will collect any personal belongings they can to return to the families. Anyone authorized to go into the house itself is required to adhere to a non-disclosure agreement.

I think the disconnect comes from the discussion of genetic genealogy. I’m in the minority, but IMO it wasn’t used, and here’s why:

There are 2 million people in the databases available to law enforcement. That is 0.006 or 0.6% of the US population, about 6 in every 1,000 people. The overwhelming majority of people in those databases are of Northern European ancestry and BCK is more than 1/2 Italian. These points are made by CeCe Moore in this article:

I also mentioned earlier about the sample of DNA representing BCK’s father being flown back to Idaho on the same airplane that would later transport BCK. That occurred the day before his arrest. It all came together for me after this post from @finkleiseinhorn on the day the PCA was released. That was a Pilatus PC-12 belonging to the Pennsylvania State Police, N879ST.

View attachment 411327
View attachment 411329

Also, there is this article in Forensic’s Magazine:
IMO genetic genealogy quickly found someone in BKs family tree. Since they were already honing in on him as a suspect it sped up the process. As they could simultaneously go up (BK’s name & dob & social) and down (the sheath dna sample) a known family tree.

In most of these genetic genealogy cases it takes months and months of research as most of them end with someone who was never on LE radar. Requiring LE to essentially build an entire family tree from scratch to find a potential suspect hidden within that fits location, age, background etc. Potentially hundreds of hours of research.

Once BK was in PA, Dad’s DNA was essentially a paternity test against their sheath sample ala the Maury Povich show. “You are the father!”

1. CODIS - no hit
2. STR/SNP + research they couldn’t exclude BK
3. Paternity DNA test on Dad and Sheath sample
4. DNA test on BK against the sheath sample confirming 100% match (IMO).

1&2 were done at the same time.

This is not the article I read last year, but it talks about the possibility of STR

I’ve never heard any legitimate claim to the dna being challenged because of this. And that’s probably because this is the only community I participate in.

What should raise most eyebrows is that I remember reading that they immediately did a CODIS sample AND a STR or SNP test to speed up the genealogy process. Im not a forensic scientists but that sounds like they had more than just a tiny sample to work with…

MOO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members