TN - Shooting at private Christian Covenant School, Nashville, suspect dead, multiple victims, 27 Mar 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the act of mass shootings inspire further shootings or is the inspiration from the release of the killers writings?

Perhaps the exstensive news reports of these school shootings which always have the killers name and photo is the inspiration. JMO.
If you go to the wikipedia article I linked above, and scroll down to the section "Don't Name Them", basically, it's encouraged for media to not report in detail about any of the minutiae around the murderer, including any manifesto. It's based on a report by the BAU. The report found that it all feeds notoriety, which can inspire future killers. The advice is to focus on the crime itself and the law, and refer to the person as 'perpetrator' or 'suspect'.

MOO

If you go to the wikipedia article I linked above, and scroll down to the section "Don't Name Them", basically, it's encouraged for media to not report in detail about any of the minutiae around the murderer, including any manifesto. It's based on a report by the BAU. The report found that it all feeds notoriety, which can inspire future killers. The advice is to focus on the crime itself and the law, and refer to the person as 'perpetrator' or 'suspect'.

MOO
Its great advice. Has such an occurrence ever happened? It certainly hasn't here. With the exception of real time live footage...we have it all.

Except for motive. For some reason that's off limits?

Strange. Imho

MOO
I don't know who BAU is but I have doubts about censoring information to the public. Even if it's found that some mentally ill people may be encouraged by it. The First Amendment was created for a very good reason.

I think that preventing a shooter from gaining access to the inside of a school should be the priority, not censoring news reports. JMO.

I don't know who BAU is but I have doubts about censoring information to the public. Even if it's found that some mentally ill people may be encouraged by it. The First Amendment was created for a very good reason.

I think that preventing a shooter from gaining access to the inside of a school should be the priority, not censoring news reports. JMO.
Behavioral Analysis Unit - Wikipedia

Does the act of mass shootings inspire further shootings or is the inspiration from the release of the killers writings?

Perhaps the extensive news reports of these school shootings which always have the killers name and photo is the inspiration. JMO.
Yes - there is a body of research that suggests that coverage of mass shootings could help 'inspire' individuals who were previously interested in a mass shooting.

I'm not totally sure about the websleuths rules about posting links to articles. but i'd point out that a simple google search with basic terms will result in articles from responsible sources about the topic.

Its great advice. Has such an occurrence ever happened? It certainly hasn't here. With the exception of real time live footage...we have it all.

Except for motive. For some reason that's off limits?

Strange. Imho
The media in New Zealand absolutely did this after the Christchurch mosque mass murder.

Christchurch mosque shootings - Wikipedia

Yes - there is a body of research that suggests that coverage of mass shootings could help 'inspire' individuals who who were previously interested in a mass shooting.

I'm not totally sure about the websleuths rules about posting links to articles. but i'd point out that a simple google search with basic terms will result in articles from responsible sources about the topic.
Thanks. Does any of this research specifically address the affects of releasing "manifestos" or other writings made by mass shooting killers? Or is it mainly about normal news coverage of these horrific events?

Thanks. Does any of this research specifically address the affects of releasing "manifestos" or other writings made by mass shooting killers? Or is it mainly about normal news coverage of these horrific events?
You'd have to read through the articles themselves to find if they go into that specific a focus. Several academic papers are linked at the bottom of the article. This isn't my area, so I haven't read them yet. It's what I could find that was relevant and accessible to people using google on a moment's notice.

MOO

You'd have to read through the articles themselves to find if they go into that specific a focus. Several academic papers are linked at the bottom of the article. This isn't my area, so I haven't read them yet. It's what I could find that was relevant and accessible to people using google on a moment's notice.

MOO
I don't think I will do research to support someone else's claim that I find dubious. JMO.

The shooter was so young when attending this school and it seemed it was only for two years. What the heck happened in that time to have such an impact? Perhaps the school was just a symbol of something more in the shooter's life....
She knew the layout.

Graduated HS at NSA

College:

Last edited:
I don't think I will do research to support someone else's claim that I find dubious. JMO.
That's your prerogative.

I personally think that knowing that multiple mass murderers have quoted previous mass murderers' crimes and manifestos as inspiration for their own is reason enough for that information not to be public. If we had a live perpetrator, and it was part of the trial, absolutely, it should be part of the case presented at trial. Should it be available for academic research into these types of killings and killers? 100%. But on the six o'clock news? I think we should keep that for respectful coverage about the victims and the investigation.

But we don't have to agree on here, just respect each other and honour the victims.

MOO

That's your prerogative.

I personally think that knowing that multiple mass murderers have quoted previous mass murderers' crimes and manifestos as inspiration for their own is reason enough for that information not to be public. If we had a live perpetrator, and it was part of the trial, absolutely, it should be part of the case presented at trial. Should it be available for academic research into these types of killings and killers? 100%. But on the six o'clock news? I think we should keep that for respectful coverage about the victims and the investigation.

But we don't have to agree on here, just respect each other and honour the victims.

MOO
I'm still not convinced that there's a big difference when media publishes a killers writings vs simply reporting their crimes and a photo of them.

What is the defintion of "respectful coverage"? Should the media not publish photos of the murderers? JMO.

I'm still not convinced that there's a big difference when media publishes a killers writings vs simply reporting their crimes and a photo of them.

What is the defintion of "respectful coverage"? Should the media not publish photos of the murderers? JMO.
It's a good place to start. Christchurch is a good example of how it can work. Nobody forced the media in NZ to not publicise the killer - they just en masse decided to not give him the platform he so obviously craved. They focussed on the memorial services and the community outreach to support the survivours.

MOO

It's a good place to start. Christchurch is a good example of how it can work. Nobody forced the media in NZ to not publicise the killer - they just en masse decided to not give him the platform he so obviously craved. They focussed on the memorial services and the community outreach to support the survivours.

MOO
A quick Google search found multiple news reports and the killers photo.

I don't see how it's possible to keep a killers name and photo out of the media. It's just not going to happen.

Christchurch mosque attack suspect pleads not guilty, trial set for next year

A quick Google search found multiple news reports and the killers photo.

I don't see how it's possible to keep a killers name and photo out of the media. It's just not going to happen.

Christchurch mosque attack suspect pleads not guilty, trial set for next year
I didn't say nobody reported it. The media here in Australia was particularly unrestrained with what they published.

If you click the link I posted further up the thread, the one about Christchurch, I was referring specifically to the majority of the media articles published in New Zealand, where the crime took place.

MOO

I didn't say nobody reported it. The media here in Australia was particularly unrestrained with what they published.

If you click the link I posted further up the thread, the one about Christchurch, I was referring specifically to the majority of the media articles published in New Zealand, where the crime took place.

MOO
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm talking about all media.

In today's world news travels everywhere. Looks like your in Australia following a case in the US. That's evidence of how a news story can find worldwide coverage. JMO.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm talking about all media.

In today's world news travels everywhere. Looks like your in Australia following a case in the US. That's evidence of how a news story can find worldwide coverage. JMO.
I am. And I will engage with discussion on a case, here, where there is moderation and respect, but not on social media where behaviour is not so civilised. I also choose where I give my clicks. I won't link to or click on an article I find the content of offensive or exploitative... or if I have to, I will weigh the decision carefully (can I find the same information elsewhere, etc.).

Social media and MSM may be international, but in a digital world where I am fully aware that I am the product, I try to be prudent and thoughtful. I can't control everyone else, but I am responsible for my own choices. Sometimes that makes reading about true crime very much gaining information on hard mode, but it's easier to live with for me than the alternative.

And now, I think I've caused this thread to drift enough. It's time to get back to the case at hand. Has there been any talk yet about whether there will be a community memorial service? I assume all the victims, not being related, will have separate funerals. A community memorial would probably mean the funerals would be able to be kept more private, friends and family, without as many curious, unconnected members of the public turning up.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members