TN - Shooting at private Christian Covenant School, Nashville, suspect dead, multiple victims, 27 Mar 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what the connection to the mall was. That was the next intended stop if I remember correctly. Wonder why the mall wasn't chosen first? So many questions.

As someone else commented previously, I think she was going for maximum news media impact. She may have thought killing small children in a church school would garner a lot of media coverage, with a mall being the next step.

She had "cased" the church school prior to the assault, so she probably also knew they didn't have security guards. A mall would have. I wonder if she surveilled the mall and other targeted locations on her list? From what I've read, she spent quite a bit of time and effort planning this attack.

IMO, I'm not interested in reading the manifesto with all the perceived slights he may have encountered or imagined. I imagine that it isn't going to teach us anything new about why the school was chosen or why he decided to kill innocent children but will be full of whining and perceived injuries they endured. MOO

He chose to still live at home with his parents and it was probably a my house/my rules situation - as it should be, imo.

Also, I can't find the post but the backwards cap thing I don't think could or should be attributed to Dylan Klebold. I know lots of people who wear their hats backwards and I don't automatically assume or think it's because of idolizing Klebold, jmo.
In reading here I have seen where shooter wanted to be young forever, referred to self as childlike, maybe simple teen angst anti parent attitude is all this was at home. And they as a 28 year old still tried to live as a teen... just spitballing thoughts here, it may not be gender, or guns or anything other than a tantrum like a teen would have, slamming doors, putting on loud music yelling "you are not the boss of me". JMO

LE will have access to her health record, now she is deceased.

Why would LE and the parents lie? She was 28 working a shopping/delivery job, living off her parents, college educated, something not quite right here. Why would LE or the parent lie? They have nothing to loose at this point, she destroyed there lives.

Why would she not get a full time job, move into her own place and live the life she desired.
Moo...
I don't think LE lied, I think AH may have lied to mom and dad, mom and dad would not have access just AH telling them I am going to the doc etc.

As someone else commented previously, I think she was going for maximum news media impact. She may have thought killing small children in a church school would garner a lot of media coverage, with a mall being the next step. She had cased the church school prior to the assault, so she probably also knew they didn't have security guards. A mall would have. I wonder if she surveilled the mall and other targeted locations on her list?
Also can you imagine the 'embarrassment' for her if she went to the mall and was stopped in her tracks by some burly security before she even got started? Cowards like things to be easy and what's easier than some poor vulnerable children?

I've found the knowledge gained from various "manifestos" and other writings of criminals to be immensely helpful in my own work in comparative criminology - but more than that, in understanding how to approach people who have similar ideas and writings (as a teacher for more than 40 years, I've run into quite a few disturbed persons who are clearly writing along the same lines and I think I can actually make some positive inroads and interventions).

I know lots of psychiatrists and psychologies who feel the same. I've also posted in a vague manner about what I believe are cases of we teachers, counselors, etc., actually successfully keeping worse things from happening. You don't have to believe that some of us are actively involved in this field, but psychiatric nurses, all by themselves, are amazing in the types of intervention and care they can provide through various means. There aren't enough psychiatrists to answer phones/provide support all day long, but mental health workers do study and talk about the writings, youtubes and utterances of their clients as a way of understanding what to do about these disturbed people.

It's going to keep happening, but in my view you can't convince me that it wouldn't happen more if those of us who work in these fields are kept in the dark. My own mentors were people like Donald Lunde (interviewer of Kemper and others), Peter Rosenbaum (psychiatrist working with criminal clients), and Irving Yalom (focused on personal narratives as a way of aiding psychiatric patients, among his other many, many contributions). They've all used these materials to write books that are required reading in psych programs around the nation (and the world).

In my view, all of this has helped. Indeed, Lunde's early work on serial killers is often overlooked but in fact, resulting in major re-ordering of how LE viewed investigations into serial killing. The writings of the crazy serial killers helped Lunde construct an incredibly detailed timeline of the planning of the crimes of a serial killer in Santa Cruz - which actually led to helping convict him.

========
IME, IMO.
If we don't understand the why's or the how's...how do we attempt to fix it?

Yes...banning and then confiscating all guns will stop mass shootings, but it doesn't prevent mass killings (Oklahoma City, for example).

It's a people problem and not a weapons problem....and we need, as a society, to understand.

It's not just professionals that utilize this information. This stuff trickles down. There's not a parent (who has a low level interest in psychology) out there who would overlook a child who wets the bed past normal age, lights fires and is cruel to animals. We know this due to information provided by these perps whether through interviews, writings, art, etc. Imho

Why would LE and the parents lie? She was 28 working a shopping/delivery job, living off her parents, college educated, something not quite right here. Why would LE or the parent lie? They have nothing to loose at this point, she destroyed there lives.

Why would she not get a full time job, move into her own place and live the life she desired.
Moo...

Agree but I wonder if there was a diagnosed disability that prevented her from working full time? I’m just trying to think of anything that would prohibit her from being financially independent. It could have been she had her hours cut?

Moo...
I don't think her parents would lie. Hale may have assured them that all was well....and that the emotional disturbance was being treated. They would have no way of confirming that.

Imho

I wonder where she got the money to buy that aresnal of firearms, plus ammunition, an expensive car for someone without a job (Honda Fit), etc.
She was living at home, were her parents giving her money to support her lifestyle?

We asked those questions about Bryan Kohberger as well, killers who don't seem to have jobs but live at home and have cars, weapons, etc.
I have the same question. How on earth did she buy expensive weapons and have a new or almost new car? Shopping for people doesn't pay that much. It will be interesting to find out.

Evidently, their only request was that their child not be themselves in their own home.
I can't speak to "certain sexual expressions" because I'm not familiar with those.
I can’t agree.

It’s the home of the PARENTS.

The parents were ten years past the time that they legally had to provide for the shooter.

IMO it is ONLY love, PARENTAL love for their child, that they allowed their child to live in THEIR home, ten years longer than they had to by law.

If this murderer felt anguish about how to express gender in the PARENTS’ home, then there’s the door—-make your own life.

IMO

I just don't understand this. It's a school she went to over 14 + years ago. She went to an Art Academy for high school. Those schools usually allow kids to be themselves. I don't get targeting that school a decade and a half later.
As another poster stated, ie., I believe that the choice was made according to security. There were no security guards or resource officers at this location. JMO

about 200 students, I imagine it has a very strong sense of community. The school staff really did a great job in my opinion along with LE I am in awe. But I can only imagine how hard it would be with a thousand students.

Good point, I'd forgotten LE said she even planned what she'd wear that day.
Can you even imgaine planning a freaking wardrobe for the day you're going to kill people? Ugh. :mad:
I'm not sure about the hat, but this part definitely has echoes of Columbine. Those two (DK & EH) drew extensive diagrams of their clothes and weapons. Their shirts were custom-made. (And the fact that I know this means we have already done too much to glorify them.) :(

Arizona Gov's press secretary's tweet certainly doesn't help. She resigned today.

I can’t agree.

It’s the home of the PARENTS.

The parents were ten years past the time that they legally had to provide for the shooter.

IMO it is ONLY love, PARENTAL love for their child, that they allowed their child to live in THEIR home, ten years longer than they had to by law.

If this murderer felt anguish about how to express gender in the PARENTS’ home, then there’s the door—-make your own life.

IMO

Obligation, responsibility, keeping up appearances

I have to admire those who don’t unleash their unprepared, under medical care, gun removing needed kids on the world.

If the sentiment is that they loved her I’m sure they feel it is her home as well.

Here in the South communal family living is usual and enjoyed.

No much of that legally you’re done there’s the door by native Southerners. We like everybody close.

All imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member