4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 76

Status
Not open for further replies.
b&sbm
yet another interesting possibility. I think this whole case is a stretch. imo jmo

Please make this make sense, legal deities, make this make sense! he has a degree in cloud-based forensics, but drives his own car, takes his actual phone, and peels out after a quadruple murder. DD and tinder and other warrants back to 2021. please make this make sense. :)
This is likely due to the state police not being able to get dna from the sheaf; LE then sent it to a startup in Texas who has a new technique that allows them to retrieve extremely minute dna samples. (Old news.) JMO

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

He submitted his application to the police department at some point during the fall semester, when he took his first semester of classes at WSU after graduating from DeSales University with a master’s degree in psychology and cloud-based forensics in June 2022.

and CNN

Last edited by a moderator:
This is likely due to the state police not being able to get dna from the sheaf; LE then sent it to a startup in Texas who has a new technique that allows them to retrieve extremely minute dna samples. (Old news.) JMO
This was an extremely minute dna sample?

Still the sample produced his DNA so the "new technique " worked if that is what happened.

Any links to confirm?

Thanks @Nila Aella I'm having a hard time finding the return date for BK's Twitter warrant. Are there several extension dates? Legalese stumps me. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks @Nila Aella I'm having a hard time finding the return date for BK's Twitter warrant. Are there several extension dates? Legalese stumps me. ;)
I have been trying to find your post on the new dna technique they used. Could you repost? I wanted to review the process again since it appears they recovered his dna that way.

requested for at least four identifiers (hard to be sure with the redactions... if they'd just quit redacting!! :)
Bryan Kohberger with any of the following IDENTIFIERS: Email address(es)
-@gmail.com and/or gmail.com and/or ; and/or phone number ; and/or [MEI

Also matches with this

BK Tinder 6.1.2022. Warrant dated 1.25.23 (same date as DropBox)
BK Yik Yak 6.1.2022 (edited to add). Warrant dated 1.25.23 (same date as DropBox)

That matches up with these. So how/why were they all connecting as far back as 2021 - because there had to be PC so what is the hook here?

Kaylee reddit 1.1.2021. Warrant dated 12.1.22, motion for extension 12.14
BK Google. 1.1.2021. Warrant dated 1.3.23
Kaylee Tinder 1.1.2021. Warrant dated 11.29.22.
Maddie Tinder 1.1.2021. Warrant dated 12.6.22

and the odd duck:

Tinder from March 1, 2021 to March 31, 2021 for 20 redacted accounts

Were these all BKs under myriad addresses? Was he catfishing them? did they just have a lot of DD drivers enamored from their online profiles?

No CBF degree and apparently not much sense either. JMO
See @Montecore1 post above but looks like he did have a degree in cloud-based forensics maybe. This of course makes the circumstances even more bizarre.

requested for at least four identifiers (hard to be sure with the redactions... if they'd just quit redacting!! :)
Bryan Kohberger with any of the following IDENTIFIERS: Email address(es)
-@gmail.com and/or gmail.com and/or ; and/or phone number ; and/or [MEI

Also matches with this

BK Tinder 6.1.2022. Warrant dated 1.25.23 (same date as DropBox)
BK Yik Yak 6.1.2022 (edited to add). Warrant dated 1.25.23 (same date as DropBox)

That matches up with these. So how/why were they all connecting as far back as 2021 - because there had to be PC so what is the hook here?

Kaylee reddit 1.1.2021. Warrant dated 12.1.22, motion for extension 12.14
BK Google. 1.1.2021. Warrant dated 1.3.23
Kaylee Tinder 1.1.2021. Warrant dated 11.29.22.
Maddie Tinder 1.1.2021. Warrant dated 12.6.22

and the odd duck:

Tinder from March 1, 2021 to March 31, 2021 for 20 redacted accounts

Were these all BKs under myriad addresses? Was he catfishing them? did they just have a lot of DD drivers enamored from their online profiles?

See @Montecore1 post above but looks like he did have a degree in cloud-based forensics maybe. This of course makes the circumstances even more bizarre.
I really think we need to know more about what was going on in the Early 2021 time period. We only know that BK was not in Moscow. We know very little about that time period, just that the warrants are focusing on it. I do notice BKs are all later compared to the rest. Maybe they are still trying to find a connection between him and the victims? IDK just a thought. I have no clue about the 20 redacted tinder accts.

MOO

I also missed this. Can you provide a link please?

Honestly, old news or new, this, along with all the other holes in this case have me very concerned for the prosecution. How does someone stab and slash 4 grown adults in 15 minutes and only leave such a "minute" amount of DNA (if this is true) that state police couldn't extract it and had to rely on startup with a "new technique"?

I know some (on social media) think this is open and shut and some have a lot of faith that there's a mountain of evidence being kept from us, but IMO, the cops wanted an arrest and BK checked some of the boxes. He may be the killer, but IMO, not only is it far from a done deal, I think it may be an uphill climb for the prosecution only based on what we know.

MOO

Thank you, Schooling, that is all good to know, and for me at least, to understand more about how hackers operate and DD works especially.

I get regular emails/primers on hacking techniques to look out for from my work (corporate) on a regular basis and have to do regular trainings and pass quizzes demonstrating I understand all the risks/baits and will avoid the attempts to compromise security of personal info, sign ins, networks, etc.

But I don't use Door Dash or understand how they manage their electronic data/communications/etc., so I really do appreciate your explanation that BK couldn't have used "any" knowledge he may have had to "hack into" DD, and what knowledge he may have had about "the cloud", ahem, forensically speaking, was probably paltry at best.

That said, I never meant to give him too much credit in any of my posts for being an expert in any way, shape, or form, just vetting possible implications of his knowledge that are out there making people think he is some sort of evil criminal/data hacking genius, which I do not ascribe to.

All MOO
Sure. No problem!

Besides the emulating of a Android device or spoofing GPS you can also guess someone else's username/password ('bruteforce' used to be a thing but not anymore). And if they have 2 factor authentication that's where social engineering comes in (calling customer support and convincing them to swap the SMS code phone number, happens all of the time) and from what I understand DoorDash was extremely late to the 'random requests for a selfie' verification that other companies like UberEats implemented long ago.

These companies do verify identity with a background check. But it didn't necessarily have to be your identity. So every once in a while the app would ask you to take a selfie and give you a certain amount of time to. DoorDash was the last to do so.

DoorDash likely hesitated on implementing that safety feature because in competing with UberEats the easier you can make the driver experience, the better. So signing up under a fake name was (and continues to be, just to a lesser extent) possible at that time. Before the days of COVID when drivers had to approach your door I had countless drivers that looked nothing like their profile photo. People would sign up with their cousins, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles identities because they weren't eligible to work or couldn't pass a background check.

Of course. That's how they found him.

Law enforcement sources told ABC News that police identified Kohberger as a suspect, at least in part, by using DNA technology, and police then tracked the grad student to Pennsylvania through his car.

Interesting.

Knife sheath may have fallen out of his pocket and he didn't notice. Why not wear on a belt? Perhaps he felt a belt was too bulky and noticeable with a knife attached.

Why not put knife back in sheath? Probably wanted to clean it off.

Because knife sheath was touching his clothes (and his gloves did touch items) your probably right that
he probably did assume his DNA was on knife sheath.

As you mention, I definitely think the neighbor's trash and baggie situation was him:

"....trying to keep found DNA samples from LE for as long as he could. "

Bryan trying to mitigate the damage from leaving behind the sheath.

Yep if you have ever worn a knife with a 7" blade on your belt while trying to do anything such as climb a slope or stairs, you'd think again.

No one wears belts over coveralls, that I can tell - and BK needed to have a layer of protection over is regular clothes.

I have a self-defense knife, but would never wear it on my belt (and I actually wear belts on many occasions - including in the woods).

So I think you're right - it was too pointy and uncomfortable (those horizontal sheaths are better, but harder to access - not designed for murder, designed for self-defense).

He wouldn't want to put the knife back until he was finished killing (which he wasn't - he fled due to possibility of police coming or neighbors hearing, IMO).

Therefore, he tried to mitigate. To me, this part of the puzzle is quite complete.

In his (stupid) mind, he did think he'd get a chance to clean off the knife and put it back in the sheath (so as to avoid slicing himself and thereby leaving wonderful amounts of DNA for LE to discover). That makes me think he brought some kind of...cleaning/wiping material. I picture just a tub of Chlorox wipes or similar. If that was his plan, he must have been quite upset to discover he no longer had the sheath.

That makes me feel as if Justice might be served. WS is very victim friendly, but there are an inordinate amount of other places on the Web taking the stance that LE is always biased.

IMO. Sorry for going on so much about this but it's really hard not to. This is such a horrible crime.

IMO.

Of interest:

Idaho Advanced DNA Cold Case Team​

The Idaho State Police (ISP) has been integral in leading sexual assault response culture change in Idaho. The Idaho Cold Case and Advanced DNA Methods (ICCADM) Task Force (also led by ISP, in partnership with the Idaho Prosecuting Attorney’s Association (IPAA), the Idaho Chiefs of Police Association (ICOPA), the Idaho Sheriff’s Association (ISA), the Idaho Statistical Analysis Center (ISAC), the Rocky Mountain Information Network (RMIN), and Boise State University (BSU)) was established in 2020 to begin investigating and prosecuting cases resulting from unsolved sexual assaults and homicides where DNA evidence still exists and no probative matches exist through CODIS.

(much more at link)

They were able to get a dna profile from the knife sheath snap.

That dna profile a mystery because it was not in any database.

So they run the profile through geneology websites looking for a family match. Bingo they match the dna to BK’s dad who has his dna in a genealogy website.

So they research BK’s dad and lo and behold he has a son who goes to college near Moscow.

They research this son, BK, and lo and behold he has a car that matches the description of the car they are searching for that was near the crime scene at time of the murders.

They get a warrant for BK’s cell records and lo and behold his cell phone was near the crime scene night of murder and turned off at the time of murder.

Enough for arrest. After arrest they get BK’s dna and LO AND BEHOLD it’s a match.

I’m sure I got a few details off here but this is the gist of it yeah?

They were able to get a dna profile from the knife sheath snap.

That dna profile a mystery because it was not in any database.

So they run the profile through geneology websites looking for a family match. Bingo they match the dna to BK’s dad who has his dna in a genealogy website.

So they research BK’s dad and lo and behold he has a son who goes to college near Moscow.

They research this son, BK, and lo and behold he has a car that matches the description of the car they are searching for that was near the crime scene at time of the murders.

They get a warrant for BK’s cell records and lo and behold his cell phone was near the crime scene night of murder and turned off at the time of murder.

Enough for arrest. After arrest they get BK’s dna and LO AND BEHOLD it’s a match.

I’m sure I got a few details off here but this is the gist of it yeah?
The order is not quite clear. The PCA claims that Kohlberger's car was called in at the end of November. Him being pulled over in Moscow late at night months prior probably rang alarm bells all over the place (this is where marathon sessions of Forensic Files and Cold Case files pays off). The officer noted the bushy eye brows. And the recent plate registration and the lack of front plate requirement in PA.

There's a clear 3 week gap where they all of the sudden have enough probably cause to get cell tower data. So we have to assume that Kohlberger fell on their radar via that call and things escalated from there. Is there a chance that familial DNA was returned in that 3 week gap and really escalated things? I'm thinking there's a strong possibility.

I also missed this. Can you provide a link please?

Honestly, old news or new, this, along with all the other holes in this case have me very concerned for the prosecution. How does someone stab and slash 4 grown adults in 15 minutes and only leave such a "minute" amount of DNA (if this is true) that state police couldn't extract it and had to rely on startup with a "new technique"?

I know some (on social media) think this is open and shut and some have a lot of faith that there's a mountain of evidence being kept from us, but IMO, the cops wanted an arrest and BK checked some of the boxes. He may be the killer, but IMO, not only is it far from a done deal, I think it may be an uphill climb for the prosecution only based on what we know.

MOO

bolded and increased in size by me - 100% - all excellent points, but your DNA question pretty much says it all if that's really all they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa