4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 76

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is likely due to the state police not being able to get dna from the sheaf; LE then sent it to a startup in Texas who has a new technique that allows them to retrieve extremely minute dna samples. (Old news.) JMO
That "startup in Texas" has ID'd many UID cold cases on this forum. I respect Othram a lot, as it offers a new opportunity for crimes to be solved as well. It's a much-needed service to families & LE.

I really think we need to know more about what was going on in the Early 2021 time period. We only know that BK was not in Moscow. We know very little about that time period, just that the warrants are focusing on it. I do notice BKs are all later compared to the rest. Maybe they are still trying to find a connection between him and the victims? IDK just a thought. I have no clue about the 20 redacted tinder accts.

MOO
jmo imo there are overlapping issues, and LE has to investigate one to get to the other. 2021 is key - but for whom and why? What was happening on SM to connect BK to K, M and X? and how does that tie to both BK and DD (later in March 2021).
All we know is
what SM was used (there may be more in the orders that seal both warrant and affidavit),
the dates,
BK was in PA
K, M and X were in ID
something happened with DD in march 2021 - that's typically spring break - did BK visit ID then?

what else?

When is this guy scheduled for trial? Anyone?

Well, the preliminary hearing is scheduled for June 26. That’s a mini-trial before a judge, to determine if they have enough evidence to take him to trial. And after that, he’ll officially plead, innocent, or otherwise.

Preliminary hearings don’t have everything that the full trial will have, and the defense usually doesn’t put up a defense, since the judge will interpret the evidence in the way more favorable to the prosecution. HOWEVER, there will be a lot more for us to mull over than we’ve seen so far!

MOO

Could the semi-frequent appearance of the Jan 2021 date in some of these social media warrants simply relate to the length of time some of these SM companies keep their data. I've got no idea but just a thought. MOO

ETA: When having this thought another thought is always present- that with the warrants served earlier and even into the first week of December I don't assume LE had limited their scope to just BK but were also keeping their options open and following up other possible leads. MOO

Hadn’t seen this one yet. TY

For the time period of: August 1, 2022 to Present
T-Mobile Wireless Number: redacted
Subscriber Name: Unknown
T-Mobile Wireless Number: redacted
Subscriber Name: Unknown
To include both Historical Records and Real Time Provisional Records
Dated 11.16, 3 days after the murders

Affidavit sealed, warrant redacted because release or disclosure would:
  1. Interfere with enforcement proceedings;
  2. Constitute an unwarranted invasion of personal privacy,
  3. Disclose the identity of a confidential source; and
  4. Disclose investigative techniques and procedures.

They were able to get a dna profile from the knife sheath snap.

That dna profile a mystery because it was not in any database.

So they run the profile through geneology websites looking for a family match. Bingo they match the dna to BK’s dad who has his dna in a genealogy website.

So they research BK’s dad and lo and behold he has a son who goes to college near Moscow.

They research this son, BK, and lo and behold he has a car that matches the description of the car they are searching for that was near the crime scene at time of the murders.

They get a warrant for BK’s cell records and lo and behold his cell phone was near the crime scene night of murder and turned off at the time of murder.

Enough for arrest. After arrest they get BK’s dna and LO AND BEHOLD it’s a match.

I’m sure I got a few details off here but this is the gist of it yeah?

IMO, MOO

Your scenario is certainly possible, but how well does it match up with the PCA?
MOO

Last edited:
From

IMO, MMO

Your scenario is certainly possible, but how well does it match up with the PCA?
MMO

So they run the profile through geneology websites looking for a family match. Bingo they match the dna to BK’s dad who has his dna in a genealogy website.
The father's DNA was obtained from the neighbor's garbage. Another relative had the family DNA on a genealogy website.
I first posted this in early March
The first article I linked explained that the Pennsylvania judge was not satisfied with this DNA information and it was then that the garbage DNA was retrieved. Since the warrant was based on that DNA, there was no need to mention the other research. MOO

How a family tree and DNA identified Idaho murder suspect Bryan Kohberger

Of course. That's how they found him.

Law enforcement sources told ABC News that police identified Kohberger as a suspect, at least in part, by using DNA technology, and police then tracked the grad student to Pennsylvania through his car.
That article is dated 31 Dec prior to the release of the PCA. In the PCA (publicly released first week Jan) we learn the details regarding LE finding BK's white Elantra on 29th November and the investigation proceeding from there. MOO based on info in PCA.

The 31 DEc article in your post talks about tracking BK to PA through his car, but it cannot include the fact LE had a trace put on BK's phone number on 23rd December, so as to confirm his present location (as per PCA). I do believe (speculate) LE/fbi were keeping an eye on BK up until he left for PA in mid Dec and they may have lost him for a while there on the road. I also speculate (because I have no links) that Fbi were watching/following BK over the XMas period in PA. I do know and accept as fact, that the trash from PA house was collected by fbi operatives/LE on 27th December and the dad dna sample was used to show the extreme likelihood that the suspect sample on the sheath button was BK's dna. This happenned on 28th December. The arrest Warrant subsequently issued on 29 December in Idaho. (per PCA and Idaho Court Page documents). MOO

From

The father's DNA was obtained from the neighbor's garbage. Another relative had the family DNA on a genealogy website.
The first article I linked explained that the Pennsylvania judge was not satisfied with this DNA information and it was then that the garbage DNA was retrieved. Since the warrant was based on that DNA, there was no need to mention the other research. MOO

I will not be surprised to learn later that I am wrong about the role forensic genealogy played in this case. I do have to wonder how this investigative journalist in West Palm Beach, Florida has an ”exclusive source” so close to the investigation in Idaho? MOO

Last edited:
From

BBM: There is no reference at all in the PA application for search warrants to the dna test result, via the dad's dna, on the sheath button. The x3 Warrants (House, elantra and BK's person) were (on paper) granted on the basis of the supporting affadavit attached to the Application for Warrants.MOO

see pp 10-27 for supporting affadavit for thePA search warrants.

The trash was collected on the 27th Dec. On 28 Dec it was tested and confirmed (in extreme likelihood) that the suspect sample on the sheath button was BK's dna. The Arrest warrant was then issued by Idaho judge on 29th December (as per PCA).

This may have already been discussed here. I just learned of it. Seems unfair for his sisters.

More info and pics at this link.

This may have already been discussed here. I just learned of it. Seems unfair for his sisters.

More info and pics at this link.
It has been posted, I think towards the end of the last thread? Several members here were dubious about the content. Questioned whether legally, the sisters could have been fired as the article claimed without their employers (rightly) facing lawsuits. It is the Mail, so, creative interpretation of the facts could be a factor. Or, it could be truth. But it doesn't seem to be verified by another credible source, as far as I know, yet.

MOO

...It is the Mail, so, creative interpretation of the facts could be a factor. Or, it could be truth. But it doesn't seem to be verified by another credible source, as far as I know, yet.
Oh I don't doubt it. It must have a basis of truth to it because many media outlets (including MSN) are printing that story. Well, if true, it's too bad the sisters have to suffer for crimes they did not commit. MOO, people always criticize the Mail, but so many times they've come out with facts first and plus they have the best photos.​

Oh I don't doubt it. It must have a basis of truth to it because many media outlets (including MSN) are printing that story. Well, if true, it's too bad the sisters have to suffer for crimes they did not commit. MOO, people always criticize the Mail, but so many times they've come out with facts first and plus they have the best photos.​
I think MSN is an aggregator, rather than a producer of content, so I wasn't counting them.

MOO

It's wrong, if they did lost their jobs because he's their brother. I know it says one was a mental health therapist or school councilor, but so what. She didn't commit a crime. JMO though.

In January, his family issued a statement that said they would be standing by him, adding: 'We will love and support our son and brother.'

The statement was released just days after the former Washington State University criminology student was arrested and charged with four counts of murder in the first degree, as well as felony burglary.

Now, months later, Kohberger's family are facing a multitude of troubles in the wake of the arrest.

His older sister Melissa Kohberger was a school counselor and his other sister, Amanda, had been working as an actress.

Both have been let go from their jobs.

The family has reportedly not visited Kohberger in jail, but have spoken to him on the phone.

It's wrong, if they did lost their jobs because he's their brother. I know it says one was a mental health therapist or school councilor, but so what. She didn't commit a crime. JMO though.

In January, his family issued a statement that said they would be standing by him, adding: 'We will love and support our son and brother.'

The statement was released just days after the former Washington State University criminology student was arrested and charged with four counts of murder in the first degree, as well as felony burglary.

Now, months later, Kohberger's family are facing a multitude of troubles in the wake of the arrest.

His older sister Melissa Kohberger was a school counselor and his other sister, Amanda, had been working as an actress.

Both have been let go from their jobs.

The family has reportedly not visited Kohberger in jail, but have spoken to him on the phone.
Both the Post and Mail cite News Nation as the source. So, that's the origin point. News Nation wrote an article, and Mail and Post wrote articles saying 'News Nation says this!' And MSN and other aggregators have picked it up and spread it further.

Still not saying it's not true, I'd just like to see it verified by another media outlet using a direct source, rather than just repeating News Nation's work under their own banner.

MOO

That "startup in Texas" has ID'd many UID cold cases on this forum. I respect Othram a lot, as it offers a new opportunity for crimes to be solved as well. It's a much-needed service to families & LE.

Yeah, nothing but the deepest respect for what Othram is achieving. So many Does are getting their names back and going home to their families after decades. So many perpetrators identified after just as long. Their results speak for themselves, and if they've been involved in the DNA work in this case, it couldn't be in safer hands.

MOO

The order is not quite clear. The PCA claims that Kohlberger's car was called in at the end of November. Him being pulled over in Moscow late at night months prior probably rang alarm bells all over the place (this is where marathon sessions of Forensic Files and Cold Case files pays off). The officer noted the bushy eye brows. And the recent plate registration and the lack of front plate requirement in PA.

There's a clear 3 week gap where they all of the sudden have enough probably cause to get cell tower data. So we have to assume that Kohlberger fell on their radar via that call and things escalated from there. Is there a chance that familial DNA was returned in that 3 week gap and really escalated things? I'm thinking there's a strong possibility.
I interpret the PCA a bit differently: it is oddly mute, IMO, about when the Hyundai correction(s) took place. We know when WSU Police Department ran the plates, but at that time, the model year did not match what LE was looking for. We also know that LE was deluged with Hyundai tips at that point: so many tips (10,000 +) were being called in, a special FBI call line was started. MOO, I’m not at all convinced the correction & connection to BCK happened as early as most are assuming/speculating.

Others have speculated that the incorrect Hyundai model year was an investigative ploy. I’m not in that camp, and I do find it interesting that the PCA is mute about when those internal corrections actually happpened. MOO & YMMV.

I think I’m in the DNA camp as being the key & have been for a while. I don’t know which family member uploaded their DNA to GEDMatch (presumably), but I do think that was the puzzle piece that made things move at such a rapid pace.

Again, all MOO & like everyone else, I’m impatient (LOL) for more details!

ETA: WSU Police Department

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members