SC - Stephen Smith, 19, homicide, Hampton Co, 9 Jul 2015 *new death investigation 2023*

But more important here is that the Smiths never provided Randy M with any of Stephen's equipment and/or passwords. After a few interactions, Randy stopped taking their calls. Randy also denies he ever offered to represent the family in Stephen's death! MOO

Yeah, ole' brother Randy tries to come off as the 'good' and innocent Murdaugh, no such thing. His feature article was a joke, he's covered AM's back forever. Just like his father, grandfather, and great grandfather before him.

MOO

I doubt there was any cover-up involving the autopsy. The main point of contention is that the pathologist did not interpret the manner of death in a way the coroner wanted. It is up to the coroner to make that determination. It seems as if local LE and the coroner did not want to be responsible for the determination but were hoping to offload that determination to the pathologist who didn't want to get dragged into local Hampton County politics.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the repeat autopsy. In light of current publicity, it will likely be labelled as homicide, but I doubt the objective physical findings will be different.
According to the SS case files released that I just linked, the pathologist at first basically called the cop a liar (his words) when he told her the coroner totally disagreed with her finding. Then later said I'll change it to whatever he (the coroner) wants. That to me sounds like she was possibly between a rock and a hard place, pressure from both sides...hit and run or homicide. I wonder who exactly was the hit and run pressure coming from? It seems, from reading the case files, that all the LE and the coroner were finding no evidence of a hit and run.
AJMO

I would usually agree with you about the autopsy coverup, but after seeing that Gloria Satterfields was listed as death by natural causes, I don't trust a thing coming out of Hampton County when it's related to the Murdaughs somehow.

MOO
Satterfield fell in Colleton County but died sometime later in Charleston County after a rocky hospital course. The fall was the initiating factor in her decline but she did not die of her initial injuries. AM convinced the insurance company that the fall caused her death so there was no coverup.

It seems obvious to me that the coroner and LE in Hampton County knew Stephen's death was homicide but feared making that determination themselves. Maybe they feared the Murdaughs. They also may have feared other prominent locals. MSM is focusing on the Murdaugh's because that creates clicks.

Failure to test the rape kit does suggest some degree of cover-up. SLED has stated that SS was involved with high risk behavior. A rape kit may have led to the DNA of an important person (who may or may not have been involved in his death).

The autopsy report is interesting. The head injuries could be from a bat, pipe, crowbar, etc. but should not cause a dislocated shoulder. Scrapes on his forearms suggest a defensive wound, but the injuries are described as superficial. Getting hit by the weapons I listed previously should cause greater injuries than those described. The autopsy also does not demonstrate any evidence of previous injury, nor any evidence of rage-induced overkill. A possible scenario is multiple attackers. One or more restrained him while another delivered the fatal blow.

Satterfield fell in Colleton County but died sometime later in Charleston County after a rocky hospital course. The fall was the initiating factor in her decline but she did not die of her initial injuries. AM convinced the insurance company that the fall caused her death so there was no coverup.

It seems obvious to me that the coroner and LE in Hampton County knew Stephen's death was homicide but feared making that determination themselves. Maybe they feared the Murdaughs. They also may have feared other prominent locals. MSM is focusing on the Murdaugh's because that creates clicks.

Failure to test the rape kit does suggest some degree of cover-up. SLED has stated that SS was involved with high risk behavior. A rape kit may have led to the DNA of an important person (who may or may not have been involved in his death).

The autopsy report is interesting. The head injuries could be from a bat, pipe, crowbar, etc. but should not cause a dislocated shoulder. Scrapes on his forearms suggest a defensive wound, but the injuries are described as superficial. Getting hit by the weapons I listed previously should cause greater injuries than those described. The autopsy also does not demonstrate any evidence of previous injury, nor any evidence of rage-induced overkill. A possible scenario is multiple attackers. One or more restrained him while another delivered the fatal blow.
Good post...just one thing I'd put in the mix would be SS's parent were at the police station, waiting to be told by LE that it was in fact Stephen, when a Murdaugh called and offered to be a liaison between the family and LE. Many people say oh that was just personal injury lawyers, at 3-4 am in the morning, being ambulance chasers drumming up business. What do they do have police scanners running on their bedside table or someone on night shift monitoring, on payroll, calling their phones in the middle of the night to report a hit and run? Most hit and runs at that hour and that kind of rural road situation would have zero witnesses, so where's the pay off for all that middle of the night time inconvenience? Yeah makes no sense to me. AJMO

G Satterfield died from acute subdural hematoma from a trip and fall accident, then died later in the hospital of a stroke. That isn't natural causes to me.

MOO

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but also of note (in the case files) was that days or weeks later someone came forward saying they may have hit something or someone in the road on the night of Stephen's death. There's info on how the police tried to talk to the guy, but he left town and AFAIK they were never able to track him down, speak with him in person, or see the vehicle in question. He had stated that he was hesitant to come forward, but that R. Murdaugh told him he should make the report.

Good post...just one thing I'd put in the mix would be SS's parent were at the police station, waiting to be told by LE that it was in fact Stephen, when a Murdaugh called and offered to be a liaison between the family and LE. Many people say oh that was just personal injury lawyers, at 3-4 am in the morning, being ambulance chasers drumming up business. What do they do have police scanners running on their bedside table or someone on night shift monitoring, on payroll, calling their phones in the middle of the night to report a hit and run? Most hit and runs at that hour and that kind of rural road situation would have zero witnesses, so where's the pay off for all that middle of the night time inconvenience? Yeah makes no sense to me. AJMO
RBBM - It was Randy Murdaugh that called Sandy.

MOO

Last edited:
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but also of note (in the case files) was that days or weeks later someone came forward saying they may have hit something or someone in the road on the night of Stephen's death. There's info on how the police tried to talk to the guy, but he left town and AFAIK they were never able to track him down, speak with him in person, or see the vehicle in question. He had stated that he was hesitant to come forward, but that R. Murdaugh told him he should make the report.
Hmm. Was someone hoping that homicide would be covered up by an inevitable hit and run, dark road and a body in the middle of it?

Pin a murder on an innocent driver?

Jmo

Have they come out and said he was bludgeoned? or was it a gunshot? I feel like there is just a ton of blood so how could they move his body without a trail of blood leading somewhere..

could be so many things..

I think as Stephen said, he was having relations with someone important..and he was blabbing it around ( not saying who) but still in a small town that implies someone everyone knows..maybe people just assumed it was a young person..maybe "buster". and a rumor was born..BUT..what if it was someone else, someone older like AM?

so many ways this could have gone down...but I can see them hooking up over there and then things go south from there..
and he gets him out in the road and shoots him dead..pockets the fired round and it's done.

anyway you look at it this is a hate crime..get it called a vehicular accident and get the insurance pay out..
lot's of bad accidents around AM huh... mOO
Here is one "take" on how Stephen possibly got the head injuries, though his mother mentions it is from an unnamed source ("young man") -- hopefully LE will be revisiting this possibility in the reopened investigation:

"Smith was a high school classmate of Buster Murdaugh. A 2016 letter from mother Sandy Smith to the FBI quoted an unnamed “young man” as saying Murdaugh beat Smith with a baseball bat.

“They were out smashing mailboxes when they came upon Stephen, and Buster seized the opportunity,” the witness reportedly said. “He claimed it was because Stephen was gay.”"

Murdaugh-Linked Stephen Smith Homicide Probe Rocked By Release Of Crime Scene Photos

The cause of death is the specific injury or disease that leads to death.

The manner of death is the determination of how the injury or disease leads to death. There are five manners of death (natural, accident, suicide, homicide, and undetermined).

I don't disagree with Dr. Presnell's findings here including the undetermined manner of death during what should have been an ongoing death investigation. Based on this determination, there was still an opportunity for the manner of death to be revised to homicide. It's not like the Dr. determined SS accidentally walked into oncoming traffic and was responsible for his own death.

Relative to the state trooper taking over the investigation, this is also a known protocol when a death is believed the result of a vehicle accident. To the dismay of many, CA Highway Patrol was also responsible for the investigation after the death/recovery of Kiely Rodni.

I also find the emphasis on the rape kit to be nothing short of trying to sensationalize the death of a young man. IMO, it's sick to capitalize on the death of a young man with clickbait. o_O

ETA: Perhaps it's human nature in cases like this when given an inch of credible information to "pile it on," (fact or fiction)!

I dunno ... I'm finding it more often than not to go overboard to the point of distorting the facts and destroying anything left of a once credible investigation. I'm personally really tired of the attorneys latching on to anything deemed Murdaugh related. MOO
my bold

Good post -- Thanks, @Seattle1.

Here is one "take" on how Stephen possibly got the head injuries, though his mother mentions it is from an unnamed source ("young man") -- hopefully LE will be revisiting this possibility in the reopened investigation:

"Smith was a high school classmate of Buster Murdaugh. A 2016 letter from mother Sandy Smith to the FBI quoted an unnamed “young man” as saying Murdaugh beat Smith with a baseball bat.

“They were out smashing mailboxes when they came upon Stephen, and Buster seized the opportunity,” the witness reportedly said. “He claimed it was because Stephen was gay.”"

Murdaugh-Linked Stephen Smith Homicide Probe Rocked By Release Of Crime Scene Photos

I thought I read an article today claiming Stephen's mom never said it was a Murdaugh

I thought I read an article today claiming Stephen's mom never said it was a Murdaugh
Yes, that's been stated before, and Seattle1 pointed that out in a post previously (Stephen's mother did not say herself Buster Murdaugh was possibly involved).

This article states Stephen's mother did, however, say in her letter to the FBI that an unnamed young man told her that Buster was involved, not that she said he was involved.

And it contains some additional detail about what "she said he said", so I though it worth posting since nothing has been confirmed by LE and so it's a possibility.

jmo

Yeah all very dubious in my opinion.That whole story seems manufactured to me. JMO

The cause of death is the specific injury or disease that leads to death.

The manner of death is the determination of how the injury or disease leads to death. There are five manners of death (natural, accident, suicide, homicide, and undetermined).

I don't disagree with Dr. Presnell's findings here including the undetermined manner of death during what should have been an ongoing death investigation. Based on this determination, there was still an opportunity for the manner of death to be revised to homicide. It's not like the Dr. determined SS accidentally walked into oncoming traffic and was responsible for his own death.

Relative to the state trooper taking over the investigation, this is also a known protocol when a death is believed the result of a vehicle accident. To the dismay of many, CA Highway Patrol was also responsible for the investigation after the death/recovery of Kiely Rodni.

I also find the emphasis on the rape kit to be nothing short of trying to sensationalize the death of a young man. IMO, it's sick to capitalize on the death of a young man with clickbait. o_O

ETA: Perhaps it's human nature in cases like this when given an inch of credible information to "pile it on," (fact or fiction)!

I dunno ... I'm finding it more often than not to go overboard to the point of distorting the facts and destroying anything left of a once credible investigation. I'm personally really tired of the attorneys latching on to anything deemed Murdaugh related. MOO
I think they did a rape kit for one reason only, to get DNA to try and establish whom was the last person SS was in contact with. They were thinking ahead at that time, if it was given the manner of death they thought it would be given, homicide, knowing such a thing could be extremely important. If it had been a woman in the road they'd have done the same. IMO

The wealthy boy that Stephen had a fling with and was supposed to go on a deep sea fishing trip with might not be complicit in his death but the lack of any statement having been made by that unknown person suggests a connection. Stephen's mother certainly thinks so.
I think it was a wealthy man, not boy, that SS was going on a fishing trip with.

#BREAKING The #StephenSmith Private Investigation &Forensic Team officially assembled, according to Sandy Smith’s attorneys.They have retained a pathologist & anthropologist AND… Dr. Kenny Kinsey will lead the investigation

Dr. Kenny Kinsey, a star witness in the Alex Murdaugh trial, returned to the Stephen Smith crime scene with Court TV's Chanley Painter to discuss his findings in the death investigation that has now been ruled a homicide. Attorney Eric Bland says Dr. Kinsey is now the lead investigator on their independent investigation into Stephen Smith's death. (3/30/23) MORE

Also, the attorneys plan to have all approvals in place so they can exhume Stephen’s body next week for a second autopsy in Florida @CourtTV

I think they did a rape kit for one reason only, to get DNA to try and establish whom was the last person SS was in contact with. They were thinking ahead at that time, if it was given the manner of death they thought it would be given, homicide, knowing such a thing could be extremely important. If it had been a woman in the road they'd have done the same. IMO

I agree and states as much the last time I visited this thread:

Unfortunately, this case goes back to 2015 and so much old vs new information is being floated.

Reportedly, the rape kit was ordered, as was standard, during the 2015 homicide investigation. However, the kit was never processed/tested after thoughts turned to auto accident/hit and run.

Eric Bland, the attorney representing the Smith family, confirmed to PEOPLE that a rape kit was performed, but was not tested.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back