TX TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, Midlothian, 18 Apr 2016 #48

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strangely, they are fairly common targets for burglars. I think there's a certain degree of safety that a burglar feels in targeting a church. Most churches are unoccupied (thus, unarmed) for rather obvious periods of time.

However, in this case, I believe MB was targeted. IMO this is a murder made to look like a burglary.
Dear @GoBuckeyes,

Great insights!

I agree with you that "MB was targeted" and "this is a murder made to look like a burglary".
Also, I tend to think that this was a well-thought out and planned murder. Tragically, it worked.

I wish that the L.E. could have discovered leads that could point to a person who was threatening to MB, or actually threatened M.B.

Perhaps MB did not know that there was a danger to her life out there?

It's all so puzzling.

JMO

Last edited:
Victims murdered during a burglary is not a large number - per FBI statistics about 80-90 per year. So it does occur. However, the FBI is dependent on the details they can get from local and state LE reports. Since there are approx. 600+ cases per year where reports don't specify the exact circumstances and another 5000-6000+ where the circumstances are unknown there could be more than 80-90 per year. Given that there are thousands of burglaries per year that is not a lot. But that doesn't take into account the possibilities of armed burglars who don't encounter a victim, armed burglars who threaten but didn't kill or injured but did not kill the victim. So for some burglars a firearm is considered a tool of their work.
Dear @JnRyan,

Great insight!

Could it be possible that the perp did not believe he/she could overcome their victim and that is why the perp had a gun?

I would think that that SWAT gear could be an obstacle and that could have lead to the decision.

This was so cold blooded that the perp may always have had a gun with them whether committing burglary or a targeted murder.

JMO

Last edited:
Mostly true. But the FBI defines 'burglary' as "as the unlawful entry of a structure to commit a felony or theft." Unoccupied or occupied is not part of the definition. (They further describe 'structure' as "includes an apartment, barn, house trailer, or houseboat when used as a permanent dwelling, office, railroad car (but not automobile), stable, or vessel (i.e., ship).") 'Robbery ', per their definition is: "...as the taking or attempting to take anything of value from the care, custody, or control of a person or persons by force or threat of force or violence and/or by putting the victim in fear." What is interesting is that those crime statistics do not track burglaries by occupied or unoccupied. And if we have instances where there are murders committed during burglaries then there are some occurring in occupied structures. I think it is safe to say that a burglar USUALLY INTENDS to enter what they believe is an unoccupied structure.
Police depts submit their stats to the FBI. The FBI does not collect all information used by each state/agency. Each state has its own definition of burglary and qualifying locations and "home" can include anything that is being used for a dwelling and any building/structure, even a locked fenced-in area with no building. Whether the home/building was occupied/unoccupied is noted (check box) on every burglary report I've ever seen. Any commercial burglary also notes whether or not the business was open.
Most all residential burglars do knock and/or ring doorbells and look in windows before entering.

Why would someone not intent on killing, arm themselves with a loaded handgun? If this was fantasy play, why load the weapon?
I thought it was normal for people in Texas to carry guns. I have never been there so this could just be a stereotype, but it is why I didn't think it was strange the person had one on them. For all we know Missy could have been hit first when the suspect became aware she was in there, and then they panicked about having done that and made sure she was dead by using the gun. Not having the specific details of her death, and how it happened, leaves so much up to our imagination on how it happened.

Police depts submit their stats to the FBI. The FBI does not collect all information used by each state/agency. Each state has its own definition of burglary and qualifying locations and "home" can include anything that is being used for a dwelling and any building/structure, even a locked fenced-in area with no building. Whether the home/building was occupied/unoccupied is noted (check box) on every burglary report I've ever seen. Any commercial burglary also notes whether or not the business was open.
Most all residential burglars do knock and/or ring doorbells and look in windows before entering.
The Uniform Crime Reporting Handbook sets the uniform definitions of burglary for reporting purposes whether directly to the FBI or a state UCR program which meets certain standard/criteria. Outside of an agency not submitting data (the program is strictly voluntary) the biggest problem is when multiple units - apartments, business buildings, hotels/motels - are involved. Some of these may end up as multiple cases reported or as a single case as UCR Handbook allows for some leeway there.

If a burglar is stealing these things, where is the van to load all of this equipment? I just do not believe that a burglar would go to the trouble of dressing from head to toe in SWAT gear to rob a church.

I'd think that gear would be a hindrance to unhooking electronics and moving items in and out of the building to one's vehicle.

The gait of the person was either from ill-fitting shoes, gear, an injury or being faked. I don't know, but I bet the experts have viewed the tapes over and over again and have opinions about it.

I think SP was there to target Missy; and I personally think SP was a female.

JMO.
I agree on the targeting. I could see it being a woman. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be.

I thought it was normal for people in Texas to carry guns. I have never been there so this could just be a stereotype, but it is why I didn't think it was strange the person had one on them. For all we know Missy could have been hit first when the suspect became aware she was in there, and then they panicked about having done that and made sure she was dead by using the gun. Not having the specific details of her death, and how it happened, leaves so much up to our imagination on how it happened.
You'll find that in a lot of states, but not in a church to go in and steal. It's about to be 26 states that have conceal carry, not requiring a permit. Currently it's 25.

It's bad enough that someone will burglarize a church. That's really low, but to kill somebody in a church. That's lower than a worm's belly!

I'm addition, in many states that firearm adds years to your sentence if you are caught burglarizing.

All MOO.

I agree on the targeting. I could see it being a woman. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be.
If it is something like vandalism or acting out some perverted fantasy I tend to believe it is a man and a young one at that. BUT if it is targeted killing I tend to believe it could be a woman. Strictly my opinion and I can't really explain why except that it is just a gut feeling.

If I could see all of the surveillance footage, the one question I would ask is, "Does the burglar always walk out of each room with that hammer pick in their hand?"

I cannot understand why once the burglar gains entry to a room they do not put the hammer pick away on their vest so they can use both hands to go through things? It makes sense entering the room. It does not make sense exiting it. If this was a burglary gone bad, it is a very strange burglar. It is these strange details about this crime that make me wonder if Missy Bevers was targeted by someone posing as a burglar?

But maybe, for example, the full video will not show the burglar constantly leaving each room with the hammer pick in their hands? We just do not know because we do not have access to the full surveillance footage. I can only come to a conclusion based on the surveillance footage that was released.

Let's be honest, statistically the killer will be male. I'm convinced that some people just want it to be a woman for whatever reason.
Take a look at the Elizabeth Barraza thread and the video of the murder. There is debate going on as to whether or not the killer is a woman or a man. When LE first asked Elizabeth's husband if he suspected anyone he gave them a woman as his only suspect.

Let's be honest, statistically the killer will be male. I'm convinced that some people just want it to be a woman for whatever reason.
Some people believe they see a woman wearing oversize clothes and boots. Why would they want it to be a woman? Just curious. Iirc, LE referred to it as a "feminine sway."

I am not set on either one. But I can see why some people believe they see a woman.

Some people believe they see a woman wearing oversize clothes and boots. Why would they want it to be a woman? Just curious. Iirc, LE referred to it as a "feminine sway."

I am not set on either one. But I can see why some people believe they see a woman.
Not just from WS, but a lot of online sleuths want it to be a woman because it provides a motive, the jealous spouse of a man romantically involved with MB. MOO

Prosthetic leg or possibly not quite healed joint replacement? The perp looks like he or she is walking on ice at times.
knee replacement or broken femur ... of which I have had both I walk like that even with tons of therapy and gait training

The FINDING the wall is a big giveaway Without my cane I do that

the reason I think it is a woman is the crowbar on the door fiddling around ... IMO a man would have just smashed it ... this perp was very timid in trying to use the tool I have no clue about it being a target kill either Police are doing a big disservice by not putting out more info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie