NY - Former President Donald Trump charged with 34 criminal counts of falsifying business records, Apr 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
It might be just the beginning though. Once they get started, and start poking, there may be more.

I think there's a mountain of more.
They've already poked and found plenty on his tax returns.

I don't believe these anonymous sources that DT wants to be handcuffed. There were reports that handcuffing is unnecessary due to him turning himself in.

Nobody tells NY cops what to do. A certain protocol is followed for arrests.
NY cops won't be handling this like other cases. They are working out how to handle the situation with President Trump with Secret Service. That complicates things a bit, the Secret Service have to be within eye contact of President Trump at all times, if what I am seeing in the news is correct. In any event, Secret Service protection complicates it, so NY LE are working out the details with SS prior to Tuesday.

I suspect President Trump will arrive at the Court Building with his attorneys, get his photo taken and fingerprinting done, and then make his plea of not guilty before the judge, and then go home. His lawyers will likely make at least their first motion, or the judge will set a date to hear the first and subsequent motions.

Outside there will likely be demonstrations from all sides of the political spectrum. Maybe President Trump will make a speech on the courthouse steps before leaving the area. I think it will be largely uneventful, except for the media circus.

The Washington Post reported on Friday that the Secret Service director, Kimberly Cheatle, told agents that the agency will take “the necessary steps” to protect Trump from harm, including placing agents in a “bubble formation” to separate him from the public.

Trump will not be handcuffed at his arraignment or subjected to a “perp walk”, and discussions are still being held about whether his booking photo will be publicly circulated. Trump reportedly “wants the mugshot out” because it could harness donations to his presidential campaign.

Melania Trump is not expected to join her husband on his trip to New York, where he will reportedly stay at his triplex in Trump Tower. She plans to “lay low”, according to reports.

"He [DT] has no plans to hold a news conference or address the public while he is in New York, the people said."

I'm relying on Canadian news (CTV, CBC) to understand what's going on. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I understand this is all related to campaign expenses - do I have that right? Someone thinks that Trump lied about those expenses, but could not do anything about it at the time. Trump was president and, as such, could terminate the investigation. That person waited until now to independently proceed with the charges.

This does not appear to be restricted to punishing Trump for fibbing about legal expenses. Putting an ex-president in jail is not in anyone's interests. Trump is not going to jail, he may pay a fine.

Is there more to the story about where the money came from? Is it to simply tie up Trump's time and money during pre-election campaigns?

The Washington Post reported on Friday that the Secret Service director, Kimberly Cheatle, told agents that the agency will take “the necessary steps” to protect Trump from harm, including placing agents in a “bubble formation” to separate him from the public.

Trump will not be handcuffed at his arraignment or subjected to a “perp walk”, and discussions are still being held about whether his booking photo will be publicly circulated. Trump reportedly “wants the mugshot out” because it could harness donations to his presidential campaign.

Melania Trump is not expected to join her husband on his trip to New York, where he will reportedly stay at his triplex in Trump Tower. She plans to “lay low”, according to reports.

Thinking of President Trump's family at this time, Melania, his youngest son, and his older children. They have all been subjected to so much since President Trump became President, and even before then, during his campaign for President. Keeping them all in my prayers.

"He [DT] has no plans to hold a news conference or address the public while he is in New York, the people said."

Sounds like he is not asking his supporters to join him?

Is there more to the story about where the money came from? Is it to simply tie up Trump's time and money during pre-election campaigns?

I believe Michael Cohen provided at least one check to show where the hush money payments came from.
(As posted further back-thread, there were at least several payments to Cohen. I think they have traced where they came from, hence the charges.)

In an opening statement obtained by the PBS NewsHour, Michael Cohen is expected to describe a check for $35,000 as “a copy of a check Trump wrote from his personal bank account – after he became president – to reimburse me for the hush money payments I made to cover up his affair with an adult film star and prevent damage to his campaign.”

a2.jpg

I'm relying on Canadian news (CTV, CBC) to understand what's going on. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I understand this is all related to campaign expenses - do I have that right? Someone thinks that Trump lied about those expenses, but could not do anything about it at the time. Trump was president and, as such, could terminate the investigation. That person waited until now to independently proceed with the charges.

This does not appear to be restricted to punishing Trump for fibbing about legal expenses. Putting an ex-president in jail is not in anyone's interests. Trump is not going to jail, he may pay a fine.

Federal prosecutors (FEC) investigated campaign finance charges and closed the case, deciding not to bring charges against President Trump. Alvin Braggs is late to the party on this one. But experts say that he needed to bootstrap his business fraud charge (state charge) to a federal charge in order to overcome the passing of the statute of limitations on the state charge he was pursuing. If Braggs does pursue campaign finance charges, it will have to be state campaign laws that he is claiming that President Trump violated.

Tuesday we'll know a bit more assuming they release indictment.

I feel like there's a lot of conjecture out there at the moment.

"Hush money" language is so salacious by MSM, it was a nondisclosure agreemnt (NDA) which is not illegal, but MSM enjoys the salacious narrative and is milking it for all it is worth. NDA's are quite common, especially among politcians.

I believe Michael Cohen showed at least one check to show where the hush money payments came from.
(As posted further back-thread, there were at least several payments to Cohen. I think they have traced where they came from, hence the charges.)

In an opening statement obtained by the PBS NewsHour, Michael Cohen is expected to describe a check for $35,000 as “a copy of a check Trump wrote from his personal bank account – after he became president – to reimburse me for the hush money payments I made to cover up his affair with an adult film star and prevent damage to his campaign.”

View attachment 412537

Still. Paying a mistress and calling it legal expenses while campaigning for President is not going to put him in jail. It's an irritation, perhaps a financial loss, but not a life changer.

There has to be something more to the money angle. Is there evidence of foreign money? I suppose that would be a game changer. If there isn't anything more to this than putting entertainment in the "legal" column, I think much of the world will wonder why? What's the point if not to ensure that it does not happen again in 2024.

This article gives more insight into it. It's not just campaign expenses, it involves other financial documents.

I believe Michael Cohen provided at least one check to show where the hush money payments came from.

View attachment 412537

Interesting. He was smart to make a copy of the check.

Still. Paying a mistress and calling it legal expenses while campaigning for President is not going to put him in jail. It's an irritation, perhaps a financial loss, but not a life changer.

There has to be something more to the money angle. Is there evidence of foreign money? I suppose that would be a game changer. If there isn't anything more to this than putting entertainment in the "legal" column, I think much of the world will wonder why? What's the point if not to ensure that it does not happen again in 2024.
We'll know more when the indictment is unsealed. If there are more than 30 counts, including felonies, it is quite a bit more serious than entertainment.

Federal prosecutors (FEC) investigated campaign finance charges and closed the case, deciding not to bring charges against President Trump. Alvin Braggs is late to the party on this one. But experts say that he needed to bootstrap his business fraud charge (state charge) to a federal charge in order to overcome the passing of the statute of limitations on the state charge he was pursuing. If Braggs does pursue campaign finance charges, it will have to be state campaign laws that he is claiming that President Trump violated.
FYI: Bragg is not a federal prosecutor, and it is not a federal indictment.

I don't know. I have been doing some reading about Michael Cohen's charges (due to some of them being about the Stormy Daniels matter) to try to glean a bit more knowledge about what might be in the indictment. But it is all a guessing game at the moment.

As per Cohen (on 27 Feb 2019) .... "The President of the United States thus wrote a personal check for the payment of hush money as part of a criminal scheme to violate campaign finance laws. You can find the details of that scheme, directed by Mr. Trump, in the pleadings in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York."

Read Michael Cohen’s full prepared testimony

Last edited:
I don't know. I have been doing some reading about Michael Cohen's charges (due to some of them being about the Stormy Daniels matter) to try to glean a bit more knowledge about what might be in the indictment. But it is all a guessing game at the moment.

As per Cohen (on 27 Feb 2019) .... "The President of the United States thus wrote a personal check for the payment of hush money as part of a criminal scheme to violate campaign finance laws. You can find the details of that scheme, directed by Mr. Trump, in the pleadings in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York."

I think it's quite possible that Trump put entertainment expenses in the wrong column. It is a criminal offence, but an ex-president is not going to jail for doing it. He's not the first president to make a misstep on the road to power or during his time in office.

He was hiding mistress fees not only from the country, but from his wife. That might have been a bigger motivator than something related to the campaign.

"Hush money" language is so salacious by MSM, it was a nondisclosure agreemnt (NDA) which is not illegal, but MSM enjoys the salacious narrative and is milking it for all it is worth. NDA's are quite common, especially among politcians.
The NDA was signed AFTER Daniels received the money, not before. And she most certainly could still be interviewed by prosecutors. The MSM is reporting the facts.

I think it's quite possible that Trump put entertainment expenses in the wrong column. It is a criminal offence, but an ex-president is not going to jail for doing it. He's not the first president to make a misstep on the road to power or during his time in office.

He was hiding mistress fees not only from the country, but from his wife. That might have been a bigger motivator than something related to the campaign.
Nonetheless, our nation does have strict election finance laws and when they are violated, politicians are held accountable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member