NY - Jordan Neely, killed by chokehold in subway during mental health crisis, Manhattan, 1 May 2023 *arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to be clear that the 66 year old who thanked Penny is NOT the 66 year old woman who was brutally attacked by Neely. She was just a regular subway rider, at least according to the NYP article you mention (there are several NYP articles on this story, I've linked the one who mentions the grateful woman.

rsbm - She also says there are more videos that show the whole incident, and I sincerely hope there are, to provide much needed clarity to all, but... my speculation is that she's referring to videos that have been shared online that claim to show the incident, but are completely different individuals and different incidents altogether. Hopefully I'm incorrect, that's just my gut.

Penny “is no stranger to adversity,” Kenniff told The Post. “He enlisted into the Marine Corps out of high school. While many of his peers opted for comforts of college life, Daniel swore an oath to defend his country.
Daniel Penny.
Fund proceeds that “exceed those necessary to cover Mr. Penny’s legal defense” will be given to a New York City mental health program, his attorneys wrote on the crowdfunding platform.

I fail to see how the marine couldn't have simply taken Neely down initially and the other two just helped restrain him until LE could respond.
I'm sure we can all sort of armchair quarterback this and come up with loads of better solutions where the threat was contained and everyone lived.

I was jumped once, and instead of running for my life I started swinging, close fisted. BIG mistake, but in the moment, there wasn't really the luxury of time to reasonably consider what may be the best course of action.

I can only imagine those 3 men did what made the most sense to them at the time to remove this guy as a threat. I can also only imagine, they're probably as torn up about it as anyone else, that it ended the way it did.

Lynching is never the answer.

I would think a trained soldier knows all kinds of subduing techniques.
And staying calm.

"Losing it" never ends well.
The same applies to LE.

Isn't there an alarm button in the carriage to call Security?

JMO

Isn't Daniel Penny too young to be considered a veteran (marine)?

He is only 24.

I'm really curious.

In the US, a veteran is anyone who has honorably completed military service. And people can be 17-18 when they begin their service.

He's a veteran in the way we use the term here.

I understand how it sounds confusing.

If this forum has taught me anything it’s that we can never be too sure from the get-go about anything because rarely do we ever have all the facts. Especially given the current climate of media where reporters are essentially in direct competition with social media now in terms of breaking a story. I get that the stakes are higher but unfortunately vetting and fact checking sources has seemingly become less important to the ultimate goal of being first to publish, or at least not as much of an immediate priority. We are in the era of publish first, clarify later.

On top of that, our perspectives are personal and very much filtered through the lens of our respective life experiences. So with the knowledge that do not yet have all the facts and knowing no two people have lived the same life it is a little disheartening to see so much hostility in what I can only describe as fierce defending and negating of opposing opinions.

Point being- I think it’s important to remember that the universal truth here is that we are all individually colored by our respective experiences and the perspectives we have about something today can very well be altered by another something tomorrow so it seems rather counterintuitive to vigorously dismantle another perspective. Especially with this being a true crime forum because being open to new opinions, information, evidence, etc. is par for the course there! :)

Just my opinion.

Thanks.
In my country veterans are usually really ancient folks - WWII veterans :)

Ah. Well, we have lots of young veterans too. It's now the Korean War veterans who are very old. And the Vietnam Vets are right behind them (most Vietnam era veterans are a bit older than me - so in their early 70's to early 80's).

We have tons of young veterans coming into college post-service, that's for sure. Initially, my dad (WW2) didn't feel the term should be applied to people who hadn't been assigned some kind of combat duty - lots of elderly veterans felt that way, but eventually he got used to the general use of the term and even wore a VFW hat that someone gave him, a few times. (Veterans of Foreign Wars). If he were still alive, he'd be 106 years old.

:oops:

Ah. Well, we have lots of young veterans too. It's now the Korean War veterans who are very old. And the Vietnam Vets are right behind them (most Vietnam era veterans are a bit older than me - so in their early 70's to early 80's).

We have tons of young veterans coming into college post-service, that's for sure. Initially, my dad (WW2) didn't feel the term should be applied to people who hadn't been assigned some kind of combat duty - lots of elderly veterans felt that way, but eventually he got used to the general use of the term and even wore a VFW hat that someone gave him, a few times. (Veterans of Foreign Wars). If he were still alive, he'd be 106 years old.

:oops:
Our veterans who are still alive - just few - are well over 90.
They took part in the WWII as kids helping the Resistance Movement.
They are tough guys (and girls) and very respected.

rsbm - She also says there are more videos that show the whole incident, and I sincerely hope there are, to provide much needed clarity to all, but... my speculation is that she's referring to videos that have been shared online that claim to show the incident, but are completely different individuals and different incidents altogether. Hopefully I'm incorrect, that's just my gut.
<modsnip: no source link>
Again, Neely didn't die of his sickness, he died because he was killed by another who had other options due to his training.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is so curious to me. Like I had said previously on this thread unless it was deleted, I have several lifelong friends with families in NYC. The general rule of thumb is to let their children start riding the subway ALONE to school in the 7th grade. They do not feel their kids are unsafe riding the subway up to 10 times a week
Lots of people are disagreeing, it appears. I agree with them. My opinion only, but Penny sure has lot's of supporters.

“The man is a hero,” one donor wrote on the website. “He took down a deranged lunatic.”

“I wish this Marine was on the train with me every time,” wrote another nameless donor — who kicked in $100 and identified themselves as a regular subway rider. “Thank you thank you.”

Marcia Mulcahy, who lived across the street from Penny and his family for four years on Long Island, called him “a nice kid.”

“Just look at the "Go Fund Me" to see how people feel about him,” Mulcahy said. “We’re all contributing to it.”

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of people are disagreeing, it appears.

So more than 21,000 donors have made donations to Perry's defense fund.

As of noon today, a total of $1,034,712 has been raised, and this news article reports that donations throughout the morning averaged $821 a minute.

So more than 21,000 donors have made donations to Perry's defense fund.

As of noon today, a total of $1,034,712 has been raised, and this news article reports that donations throughout the morning averaged $821 a minute.
Does it mean Prosecution have a problem?

Citizens voting by donations?

JMO

As an aside to my other comment - I live in the city due to work and I know there are thousands upon thousands who walk and commute everyday with zero fears. I know because my brother who does the occasional commute for work here is one of those people. He will walk for blocks on end with AirPods in his ears blasting music, day or night. I on the other hand am very fearful and panicked in my daily travels due to having both witnessed and experienced a number of traumatic encounters and situations in recent years. I can’t even tell you how many times I’ve been followed or had tugs on/shoves to my backpack from behind knock me to the ground (an easy feat being I’m of very small stature at 4’11) and we’re not talking the casual everyday shoving between New Yorkers in the rush to get to work! These were purposeful and mean spirited. Even with knowledge of my experiences my brother has remained unfazed so I really believe it’s a matter of seeing is believing. One needs to see something first hand for themselves before they can truly grasp the seriousness nature of any impending danger from that point on.

I envy everyone in this thread who has echoed feeling safe and comfortable in their respective commutes like my brother and I can only hope that you never encounter a dangerous situation. I wish I could take the train and walk a block or two without the PTSD and anxiety of prior incidents plaguing me but it gets worse everyday. For me, to live here is to be on high alert 24/7. What makes it worse is knowing I have no sufficient means of protection because cameras can’t be trusted to work if they even exist, self-defense claims are quick to be disputed so clutching my pepper spray or pocket knife offers little to no comfort, and you can only change up your daily route in so many ways before it becomes ridiculously inconvenient.

And I say all this as someone who has lived and worked here for 10+ years and felt safe enough through the bulk of them. I can only speak for myself and my experience and as I mentioned at the start I know there are thousands upon thousands who only know different but the city is huge so I am sure there are many if not just as many who have felt and/or experienced something similar to what I have too.

Just thought I’d share because some people might have genuinely been scared on that subway while others might not have felt anything amiss or different about it from any other day or ride and neither feeling is wrong.

JMO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members