Found Deceased France - Émile S., 2, outside grandparent’s house, Le Vernet, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, 8 July 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Airborne search teams were instructed to play the recording “as loud as possible” in the hopes of finding the toddler.

However, the investigation still has “no information”, with the prosecutor urging the public to “give the gendarmes time” as investigators probe the 1,200 calls received on the dedicated case line.

“We have no clue, no information, no element that can help us understand this disappearance. We are at the same point than yesterday at the same time”, Rémy Avon, public prosecutor for Digne-les-Bains, told a press conference on Tuesday evening.

“The 30 buildings that make up the Haut-Vernet building were completely visited. 25 people were heard, 12 vehicles visited, 12 hectares raked”, Mr Avon added.

The village has experienced two tragedies in the past, that locals recalled for the reporters.

In 2008, the cafe manager was murdered - beaten to death by a man who was known as the "simpleton" of the village.
In 2015, Germanwings Flight 4U 9525 crashed into their section of the alps (apparently intentionally), killing 150 passengers.

Residents feel that the hamlet is very safe and quiet, and that they would have noticed if an outsider had come in to the top of the village (maybe the location of the grandparents house means going through the village to the top?)

Locals of French village at centre of search for boy fear village is ‘cursed’

Oh ... this is just so worrisome. That precious little fella . . . where can he possibly be? Prayers up, hoping beyond hope for answers soon. I wonder what they mean by 'lockdown' - nobody in or out until he is found? Moo

I am going to disagree with their belief that if he's out there, the dogs would have found him. I can't recall a case yet where the dogs located the missing person.
Maybe it happens, but I can't think of one.
Sorry dogs.

I think the two most likely scenarios are that he's still within the search zone hiding or he went farther than they think he could.

The Noah C. case had a tragic outcome, but it wasn't anyone's fault. He just went farther than they thought he could and fell asleep. LE was making some final checks on properties when they found him.

I believe they need to search even farther out in this case, but I am not blaming them if they can't. You can't search everywhere; that's why these cases are so awful.
Yes you have to wonder if the sniffer dogs are any good at all, did they not even track his scent in any direction on the road?

Yes you have to wonder if the sniffer dogs are any good at all, did they not even track his scent in any direction on the road?

I've come across so many cases of missing people on here just lately where sniffer dogs are finding nothing at all.
I always used to put my faith in them. I know nothing is 100%, but in the last few years, I don't know what's happened.

"Several witnesses had been questioned, and all houses in the hamlet searched, except for two that are uninhabited, he said."

Well, I think these uninhabited houses should be searched too!

He could've got into one, and possibly had an accident (depending on the condition of them inside.).

Last edited:
Yes seems ridiculous to not search them, just because no one officially lives in them.
I'd like to think they are sealed up with not a single gap, no sheds, no wonky basement doors, and that LE is not inept over there, but . . .

Is this the location of where he disappeared? If yes, does anyone know which building is his grandparent's home? Google Maps shows me a bed and breakfast or an inn (Nathalie de Pascal) and a pub of some sort called Chez les Ringuous a bit further down. I understand authorities are saying this is a tiny dead-end road with just 125 or so residents, but when I see an inn and a pub, I think tourists.

1689123625618.png

''Jul 11, 2023 #GlobalNews #France #missingchild
Marc Chappuis, the prefect for Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, said Tuesday nearly 800 people are involved in the search for two-year old Emile, who went missing from his grandparents' garden in the French Alps''.
1689124450777.png
'Police described the child as 3ft tall with brown eyes and blonde hair and said he was wearing a yellow top, white shorts with a green pattern, and hiking shoes when he disappeared. They have called on anyone with information to come forward.'

''Jul 11, 2023 #GlobalNews #France #missingchild
Marc Chappuis, the prefect for Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, said Tuesday nearly 800 people are involved in the search for two-year old Emile, who went missing from his grandparents' garden in the French Alps''.
View attachment 434115
'Police described the child as 3ft tall with brown eyes and blonde hair and said he was wearing a yellow top, white shorts with a green pattern, and hiking shoes when he disappeared. They have called on anyone with information to come forward.'
My goodness, nearly 800. How can he not be found?

Such a tiny, tiny community where everyone knows each other….what if he wandered over and curled up in one of the uninhabited homes? I can’t imagine they still haven’t searched there.

That poor baby, all alone, lost in that heat and maybe no idea of where or how to find a source of clean water.

I'd like to think they are sealed up with not a single gap, no sheds, no wonky basement doors, and that LE is not inept over there, but . . .

Is this the location of where he disappeared? If yes, does anyone know which building is his grandparent's home? Google Maps shows me a bed and breakfast or an inn (Nathalie de Pascal) and a pub of some sort called Chez les Ringuous a bit further down. I understand authorities are saying this is a tiny dead-end road with just 125 or so residents, but when I see an inn and a pub, I think tourists.
I believe it is the house with the smaller red roof (4 rue du Four?) near Nathalie et Pascal's cottage (which appears to be some type of B and B, or "gîte," like you mentioned).

<moo>

Last edited:
I think most French villages and hamlets have a café and also a small B&B/place to stay.

Unlike msny small English villages where quite often, there is nothing. No pub, shop or post office and definitely not a café.

This neighbor states his house has been searched three times, including once with dogs, just like the other houses in the hamlet.

<moo>

"Cet habitant raconte que sa maison a été fouillée à trois reprises, dont une fois avec des chiens pisteurs, comme celles des autres habitants du hameau."

No mention of livestock or barns nearby, but what about homes with outdoor doghouses, easy to imagine (or maybe hope) that he cuddled in with some friendly animal. speculation, imo.

My 2.5 year old went missing last fall under someone else's watch while I was home, but getting some things together as we were going on a trip the next day. He ran into the garage and took off on his scooter through the garage door that someone had left open. No one noticed for about 5 minutes. I won't write a novel about all that occurred, but it was 15-20 minutes of absolute hell. Thank God that about 20 minutes later, he came scooting back down the road on his scooter with a red car following close behind. Out pops the head of a neighbor dad who we are friendly with as his older kids and mine are the same ages. He said said he was in his yard and he saw my 2 year old running around in the fancy yard across the street from his house... clear at the other end of our neighborhood. He didn't want to grab or touch my son, or put him in his car or anything knowing how that could look. So he told him to start riding his scooter back to mommy and pointed which way to go, then followed him in his car to make sure he stayed safe until he got back to us. My son cried like crazy when he came back and said he was looking for mommy but couldn't find me anywhere and that he was scared, and that the other daddy saw him and told him to go home.

My now 3 year old still remembers the whole thing and brings it up occasionally. He hasn't run off since.

I truly thought that my baby has been taken by an opportunist and was gone forever. And if not, I was sure we'd find him dead in the water or the busy road. We are so extremely lucky they he came back to us safe and I truly can't even imagine how baby Émile and his family feel. It's been DAYS.

Investigators are now at other options, with one emergency services source saying: ‘Émile was always chasing butterflies, and could have got a long way away, before hiding somewhere for a nap.’

i thought he had just woken from a nap at 5pm? although i can no longer find the article stating that?

Investigators are now at other options, with one emergency services source saying: ‘Émile was always chasing butterflies, and could have got a long way away, before hiding somewhere for a nap.’

i thought he had just woken from a nap at 5pm? although i can no longer find the article stating that?

Émile was vacationing with the grandparents for a week or two. There were other kids there aged between 14 and 16.

The grandparents woke Émile up from his nap at 5 p.m., then went to load the car to go on some type of excursion with him. When they went to find Émile to take him along, 15 minutes after waking him up from his nap, they noticed he was no longer there.

<moo>

"Quand ils ont voulu prendre Émile pour l'emmener, un quart d'heure après l'avoir réveillé de sa sieste, ils ont remarqué qu'il n'était plus là"

Is this the Post that you saw Bearbear?

This neighbor states his house has been searched three times, including once with dogs, just like the other houses in the hamlet.

<moo>

"Cet habitant raconte que sa maison a été fouillée à trois reprises, dont une fois avec des chiens pisteurs, comme celles des autres habitants du hameau."

Yesterday, the mayor of the village said all the houses had been searched, some of them had already been searched twice, and a badge was put on the outside of each home after it was searched (to say it was searched).

Maybe there was some delay while they contacted the owners of the two buildings that were said to not have been searched. And now they have been searched.

This article also says ... "The family has been spending “all school holidays” in this town for about twenty years." ... and I had wondered if maybe this was their holiday house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bekakay420