CA CA - Malibu, Fem Child UP3530, 1-2, on private beach, Mar'96

only 4 teeth.. Doesnt sound like a two year old. Definately 1 or younger.

only 4 teeth.. Doesnt sound like a two year old. Definately 1 or younger.

33" and only 15 lbs wow. I wonder if she might actually be in the 12-24 month range and had been malnurished through her short life and her mothers pregnancy.

So sad, why do people do this to chidlren?

How accurate would the weight information be? I mean, how can they tell from skeletal remains? Four teeth, 33", 15 lbs and 1-2 years sounds so off... If this child had more teeth but they'd fallen out, they'd note that, right?
It's like the teeth and weight match, and the length and age, but not all 4, if that makes sense. Can malnurishment cause the teeth to come in delayed?

Wow the poor thing only weighed 15 lbs I wonder if there is any other information on this case. I am sure somebody knows something.

So sad... Doesn't sound like a solvable case. Especially with no picture of the baby. Too bad they don't even have a drawing of her.

That does sound off.

I have a 16month old.. He has 10 teeth, is 33 inches long (he's considered tall) and weighs 27lbs.

2 of my kids were almost a year and a half before they ever got teeth, so anything is possible

This one really bothers me. So little information, and what they do have doesn't seem to fit together. Would love to see it solved, but where in the world would we start with this one?

I wonder who owns the private beach? They give an address. I wonder if it is just a lot or an actual house? If a house, how could a child lay dead there long enough to skeletonize? How sad.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=633

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=32554+Pacific+Coast+Highway+&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl (zoom in while on "Satellite" view mode!)

For the address, I found building and construction notices and permits. The current owners are Carol Black and Neal Marlens, the creators of "Wonder Years"!

Application to allow for the installation of an alternative onsite wastewater treatment system at an existing residence.

APPLICATION NUMBER: Coastal Development Permit No. 06-046

APPLICATION FILING DATE: May 3, 2006

APPLICANT: Deva Berg of W3 Architects

OWNER: Carol Black and Neal Marlens

LOCATION: 32554 Pacific Coast Highway within the appealable coastal zone

APN: 4473-015-007

ZONING: Rural Residential -2 (RR-2)

CITY PLANNER: Stephanie Danner, 456-2489, ext. 276

The city of Malibu doesn't have its building records online, so couldn't check when the property was built. I wonder if they found the remains while building, or if the property was already built when they found the remains. The property is surrounded by a state park, so maybe it was untouched for a long time.

Not that all that helps much unfortunately...

Oh wow, Clemy - that's interesting!

I thought those names looked familiar!

Hey everyone,
So I took the liberty the other day to try and contact the investigator, and he actually got back to me tonight:

The only information that we have is that the decedent was found on a beach in Malibu, CA. A composite drawing was not possible because the decedent was too young and had not developed enough characteristics. We have sent a DNA sample to the California DOJ-DNA lab in Richmond, CA.

Unless they somehow get a DNA match, there's nothing much to go by! So sad!! :(

Made an album for her on the FB page Still Seek Answers & I run called Never Forget Me
Baby Girl Malibu CA Doe - Age 1-2 - March 21, 1996

How could anybody deny that this is their child? How can anybody leave her in a grave marked unknown? She is only a baby, not big enough to have caused any problems, and certainly not big enough to be killed and tossed away as if she never mattered.

On March 21st, 1996, the remains of an unidentified child were discovered on a private beach behind the 32000 block of the Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu, California. Based on the condition of the remains, the child is believed to have been deceased 5-10 days prior to discovery. The decedent was believed to have been female. The child may have suffered from Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia, likely due to premature birth and would have been on some form of ventilator after birth. The child was likely 18-24 months old at time of death. The reconstruction featured above is an artist’s rendering of what the child may have looked like. Anyone with information should contact the Los Angeles County Coroner, reference case number 1996-02331.

Date Found Mar 21, 1996
Location Found Malibu, CA
Estimated Age1-2
Sex Female
Race Unknown
Hair Color Brown
Eye Color Brown
Estimated Height 2'9"
Estimated Weight1 5 to 25 lbs

NCMEC Jane Doe 1996
Doe Network Hot Case 858
NamUs UP 3530

Los Angeles Coroner - Case Number: 1996-02331
Date Found: 03/21/1996
Ethnic Group: Some Other Race
Height: 33
Weight: 15
Eyes: Unknown
Hair: Unknown
Approximate Age: 1+
Tattoos: N/A
Jewelry: No jewelry, no clothing.
Comments: On 3/21/1996 at 1700 hours the decedent was found on a private beach behind 32554 Pacific Coast Highway in the city of Malibu,CA. The infant was skeletonized. The age range of the infant is between 1-2 years of age. She also has 2 upper teeth & 2 lower teeth.

BabyMalibuDoeNCMEC2.jpgBabyMalibuDoeNCMEC1.jpg

the baby was already skeletonized by 5-10 days?

I think she weighted more than 15 pounds, that was likely the remains that weighed that, and some teeth may have fallen out. she presumably could have washed ashore if found on a beach.

The artist's rendering of this child has a very distinctive look, IMO. The distance between nose and mouth seems very short and sort of, I don't know, pouty? I wonder if s/he thought she looked like that due to having few teeth? Or if there is something else unique about the shape of the skull?

Twenty years and not much to go on. I wonder if there is a way to find out, based on tide and ocean data, where she may have gone in to the water?

Trying to find a way to say this sensitively- Is there any way to tell if the decomposition happened only in the water, or if this process was partially complete before entering the water? (Was in the water at the time of or immediately after death, or deceased for some time before entering the water.). Without soft tissue, I assume there is no way to tell exactly how this baby died, but knowing whether or not she entered the water signifcantly after death changes the possible scenarios.

Does being in the water possibly alter the estimated time of death? Are they estimating 5-10 days prior sssuming she was in the water the whole time?

I think there's more to determining time of death than just stage of decomposition, though obviously that's the big one. And if she was in the water the whole time, that would speed the process. They don't really say whether she was in the water, left on the beach, or even buried in the sand, though, do they?

If she was born prematurely enough to develop bronchopulmonary dysplasia, that might explain why she was so small and didn't have many teeth. Prematurity by itself is enough to delay growth and development, and the respiratory difficulties often cause feeding issues that exacerbate the growth issues.

She seems to have quite a pronounced chin for a child that age.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah
Back