Japan - Miyazawa family of 4 murdered, Setagaya, Tokyo, 30 Dec 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been reading about Yokota. Seems like a very plum assignment. Lots of folks rate it as the best base there is.

Also read that all military are required to live on base. Only contractors, etc., can live off base. Not sure if that was true 20+ years ago, but it seems to be the situation now.

This thread brings back memories of my child hood.

Your hunch is right. The cars of senior officers did have distinctive stickers on them. Soldiers walking on base were required to salute the car when it passed by- even if the officer was not likely to actually be in the car. I cant remember if all senior officers above a certain rank were given the stickers, or just those in command positions.

In regards to stickered cars and dependents and gate inspections.....

My father was an officer with a stickered car. As you suspected, inspections of my family at gates were token. Stickered cars also had some other neat privelages such as being directed to priority / reserved parking at base events- even if my father was not in the car. We were also allowed to pass though convoys of military trucks while other cars were held up.

Anyways....

Based on my gate experiences, I can see a stickered car being driven by a respectful and sober dependent being given a token inspection unless there were very high red flags. Injuries might not be noticed. And if noticed, the gate guard maybe inclined to accept "Ohh, I cut my hand helping replace a glass window at my GF's house- Yes, I"ll get it looked at." explanation with out referring the driver to the senior NCO on duty and logging the incident.

Thanks for the confirmation, Cryptic. I also was the child of a ranking military officer & distinctly remember specific stickers on the vehicle resulting in us usually being waved through at the gates (even without my parent in the car). As you pointed out, they were token inspections at most. On a base, there's a definite hierarchy & that hierarchy is entrenched & respected. All this was pre-9/11, of course. And, my experience is with bases located in the US, not ones located in other countries so I wasn't sure if the same behaviors tended to be in practice or not.

My thought is that if the killer was the teen child of a high-ranking officer & the killer was driving the car that had the ranking stickers on it, it would have been waved through at the gate. Easy-peasy for the killer to get back on base & get home (if that's what happened). Imo.

Without going into too much detail, the knife salesman has not seen the killer. It was picked up in a nearby supermarket if we're talking about the same thing. That consumer was very recently identified. Not the killer. It's even possible the killer came with no knife and it belonged to Mikio. We just don't know.

Bolded and respectfully snipped.

Wouldn't that be something. If the killer brought no weapons a planned killing seems less likely. Perhaps Rei was only killed because he was going to make noise, and the other killings were the result of a fit of desperation and rage when everything spiraled out of his control.

I wonder which lights were on in the house and how visible they would be from outside; if it would be at all possible to think the house was empty, or at the very least that everyone would be asleep.

The fact that money and jewelry wasn't taken does make it less likely robbery was the primary motive. But maybe it was the original motive and the killer gave up on stealing after everything went so horribly wrong. It would be a strange thing to do, but this whole case is strange.

Bolded and respectfully snipped.

Wouldn't that be something. If the killer brought no weapons a planned killing seems less likely. Perhaps Rei was only killed because he was going to make noise, and the other killings were the result of a fit of desperation and rage when everything spiraled out of his control.

I wonder which lights were on in the house and how visible they would be from outside; if it would be at all possible to think the house was empty, or at the very least that everyone would be asleep.

The fact that money and jewelry wasn't taken does make it less likely robbery was the primary motive. But maybe it was the original motive and the killer gave up on stealing after everything went so horribly wrong. It would be a strange thing to do, but this whole case is strange.

The killer could have stolen it. It is not a family heirloom.

I've been looking for a retro wall calendar by JAS from 1997/98 or so. I'm not finding anything.
But, I've seen some collectibles online that maybe look like artwork on phone cards (?). I think they are from the same time period & would at least support the idea that it is a JAS logo because the horizontal styling is the same (graphic image at top, writing/logo across the bottom). Probably grasping at straws but there you go.

1704424552541.png

1704424584188.png
Images clipped from here.

Also, some random things I'll add that I ran across when looking for more about a calendar...

* 1998 is when the winter Olympics took place in Nagano.

and

* According to wikipedia:
JAS was famous for its variety of aircraft liveries; Amy Chavez of The Japan Times described the rainbow liveries as "abstract." Many of its color schemes in the 1990s were designed by film director Akira Kurosawa.[1]

Probably neither of those things are relevant since we're talking a year or two prior to the murders but I thought I would add the small items I noticed when I was looking for calendar artwork.

MOO.

So, I think it is B-25 but a similar logo I found on Microsoft Flight Simulator Spitfire.

Was Microsoft among Interbrand clients?

Its first flight simulator was made in late 80es I think

Anyhow, you probably can ask that question on the link to the site, they may have a forum

ETA: at least Microsoft is Interbrand client.

Did Mikio work on logotypes for airplane industry at Interbrand? Could it be his logo?

Now thinking what it could be, it could be an album with logotypes for different Interbrand products. It is very thick for a calendar and you know, Japanese calendars are not calendars unless there are phenomenally beautiful women on them and sakura. This looks more like a sketchpad. Maybe different products and different logos. And maybe Mikio being artistic designed some?

Here I can throw another factoid. I think it is a red herring, but still.

In 2002 there was world FIFA World Cup held in both Korea and Japan. With a lot of struggle for the venue between two countries and finally, a split. With a fantastic logo, btw. Designed by Interbrand.

So, Interbrand was working on ads, brands, advertisement and logos and all for it. It is a lot of money. And the choice of the country. And maybe people fighting for who is going to be the team leader to work at the designs.

Could it be so that the killer was looking for Mikio's sketches?

Last edited:

So this is Japanese Wikipedia on Setagaya murders. Google translate works better if you cut/paste in pieces, the in bulk translation didn't work for me, for some reason.

Talk about the job they did.

I just have read it, and didn't know yet, and it is the information from Japanese newspapers of 2010, but apparently, the murderer's treatment of bodies PM may indicate he knew them? Since it is Wikipedia it is not information withheld by the police, but when I read it first, I wondered if the perp had indeed killed someone and buried in the desert before? And since he could not bury, he did what he did in this case.

Two types of sand, one, it seems, from Edwards base, another, in a pocket, from a local beach area where the victim's family stayed in the hotel 2 years prior?

Some connection to the skateboarders exists, and it seems to me that the police has some information about the perp's connection to California.

They have different sources of DNA.

Finally - i found the type of maternal mitogroup - ha! Greeks, Ashkenazi Jews, the Pyrinees, Siberia, some in Northern Africa, you name it. Not super uncommon although not the most common subclade within the hugest group. Full mito sequencing can be of huge value.

His sidewalking between the bodies, like the military would walk in the barracks, is of interest, but it seems typical for anyone with military training.

To me it seemed that it was some connection between the victim and the perp, and also, it appears that the perp is very angry with women. Maybe he doesn't like higher-pitched voices.

About the sounds. The intercom buzzing that the neighbor heard but the people in the adjacent house did not. Indeed strange that so little was heard by the relatives. The article says that An Irie and her family lived previously abroad for a while (and at that time the cram courses were held by Yasuko in the other house). (It would be of interest where they lived?) They obviously have been ruled out and it seems are sincerely grieving, though.

Having read this, JMO - the connection between the perpetrator and the victims might exist, although in an indirect way.

Last edited:
Am currently flying so will reply to other messages when I land but! Thanks to the tip from Vls, looks like the calendar thing is solved:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/大判-日本エアシステム-JAS-1997年-カレンダー/dp/B0CNYN9CVZ

1: JAS were one of Mikio’s clients and it’s a freebie (that he got for multiple years).
2: he’s just into planes
3: both
4: none

Wow, I spent hours looking on eBay and other rare item sites without success, and the whole time it was right there on Amazon! Amazing that you found it.

So, I think it is B-25 but a similar logo I found on Microsoft Flight Simulator Spitfire.

RSBM

If you're referring to the logos on the planes, they're just insignia for the countries operating the planes.

The blue roundel with a white star is the US military:

The B-25 in the first article appears to be a plane flown by the Netherlands with a Netherlands flag on it:

The Spitfire is just typical British RAF insignia:

Am currently flying so will reply to other messages when I land but! Thanks to the tip from Vls, looks like the calendar thing is solved:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/大判-日本エアシステム-JAS-1997年-カレンダー/dp/B0CNYN9CVZ

1: JAS were one of Mikio’s clients and it’s a freebie (that he got for multiple years).
2: he’s just into planes
3: both
4: none

You're definitely on the right track with this, but I notice the layout (positioning of the text, etc.) is very slightly different on this 1997 calendar than on the calendar in the Miyazawa home.

Perhaps it was a calendar for a different year? Or possibly I was correct about the "calendar" on the wall being part of Mikio's portfolio, and he actually helped design calendars for JAS?

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 17
I agree that it could have been part of Mikio's portfolio or even a press proof run that they decided to update before the final printing, a specialized design that was slightly different as a freebie from the printer, etc.

(I say that because I worked for a Japanese company here in the US during that time period, and part of my job involved working with printers on proofs, etc. Printers always put together little freebie things for us like calendars, notepads, ... using elements of our work. So just reiterating it could have been part of a very small, unique run for Mikio since his work probably had him in close contact with printing companies.)

MOO.

Been reading about Yokota. Seems like a very plum assignment. Lots of folks rate it as the best base there is.

Also read that all military are required to live on base. Only contractors, etc., can live off base. Not sure if that was true 20+ years ago, but it seems to be the situation now.
This is what I heard too!

I agree that it could have been part of Mikio's portfolio or even a press proof run that they decided to update before the final printing, a specialized design that was slightly different as a freebie from the printer, etc.

(I say that because I worked for a Japanese company here in the US during that time period, and part of my job involved working with printers on proofs, etc. Printers always put together little freebie things for us like calendars, notepads, ... using elements of our work. So just reiterating it could have been part of a very small, unique run for Mikio since his work probably had him in close contact with printing companies.)

MOO.

In high school I took graphic design classes (never went anywhere, alas), and knowing Mikio worked in a branding agency, the possibility of it being some kind of preliminary concept design jumped out at me.

Or maybe it's just the 1998 calendar.

MOO.

In Japanese version of Wikipedia articles about the murders, they spoke about luminescent material in the perp's bag. They mentioned tiny glass beads and came to the conclusion that maybe the material was used in printing press, but it was not Japanese colorant. All I can do because Google Translate is overwhelmed with hieroglyphs is to find the portion about it, copy, paste. Among one of their theories is one that the luminescent color is related to the perp's job.

ETA: I also read that Mikio worked mostly from home. If so, enough time to communicate with the skaters in the park, and maybe some people in artistic world could visit him at home?

Last edited:
My thought is that if the killer was the teen child of a high-ranking officer & the killer was driving the car that had the ranking stickers on it, it would have been waved through at the gate. Easy-peasy for the killer to get back on base & get home (if that's what happened). Imo.
You are welcome regarding the confirmation.

The more I think about it, the more I remember the inspections of us with my mother driving the stickered car being essentially "wave throughs" with our IDs barely glanced at. I only remember one true inspection in years. Even then, the guard was apologetic and mentioned that a computer, not him, had selected our car at random for a more in depth check.

My "gate in stickered car" experiences were all state side as well. I strongly suspect, however, that gates in very low risk / friendly countries like Japan operate the same way in regards to stickered cars and wave throughs. I agree with you fully:

A teenage driver with a stickered car would be a wave though at the gate unless they were flying very obvious red flags. When applied to the possibility of the perpetrator retuning in such a manner, the wave through could easily result in injuries not being noticed, or short explanations being easily accepted.

Then factor in that the perpetrator readily grasped the connection between women's sanitary items and bleeding control. Thus, the killer's possible return to base might have been with stopped bleeding and small, neat wrappings. Apparent minor injury in a stickered car, even if noticed, is not a red flag and still gets the wave though....

Last edited:
You are welcome regarding the confirmation.

The more I think about it, the more I remember the inspections of us with my mother driving the stickered car being essentially "wave throughs" with our IDs barely glanced at. I only remember one true inspection in years. Even then, the guard was apologetic and mentioned that a computer, not him, had selected our car at random for a more in depth check.

My gate with stickered car experiences were all state side as well. I strongly suspect, however, that gates in very low risk / friendly countries like Japan operate the same way in regards to stickered cars and wave throughs as state side gates do. I agree with you fully:

A teenage driver with a stickered car would be a wave though at the gate unless they were flying very obvious red flags. When applied to the possibility of the perpetrator retuning in such a manner, the wave through could easily result in injuries not being noticed, or short explanations being easily accepted.

Then factor in that the perpetrator readily grasped the connection between women's sanitary items and bleeding control (interesting that some military bandages have same design and similar wrapping).

Thus, the killer's possible return to base might have been with stopped bleeding and small, neat wrappings. Minor injury in a stickered car, even if noticed, still gets the wave though....

In another Japanese article I read today, and of course they are just articles, it was said that the perp first slashed the women's faces and went for a new knife. In the mealtime the mother was tending to Niina using the sanitary products (and thinking he left.) When he came back, he attacked them again and killed brutally. Especially the girl. But maybe the use of feminine products came from observing Yasuko using them on Niina.

He did not only kill four people. It is a major, major case of violence against women. Not giving the details, but poor Niina.

I don't believe that he can take it out of his system, and I think wherever he is, he is a major threat for women. Maybe the hatred is projected hatred against his mom, but to me, among others, looks like an extremest case of bipolar rage. Less aimed at sadism, more uncontrollable rage. Sometimes in the murders was definitely planned, but the intensity of the violence was him. (BTW, Japanese Wiki also says about mutilated cats found in the skateboarders' park (separately from posts on "pet hating boards"). ) It seems that the place where they lived was becoming less and less safe, this is why people were leaving.

To me it seems he might have been observing skateboarders here but not part of their group.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member