Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other cell phone tower maps show one right next to the golf course

View attachment 482257

Also my understanding is that towers work in a radius not any particular direction. It also hasn't been stated whether that was a triangulated location or just a ping off that tower. If it was just a ping off that tower then she could have been anywhere within the radius of the tower.

Of course I'm happy to be told I'm wrong this just based on my own knowledge and speaking to people who are somewhat knowledgable on this topic.
I believe this map (Cellmapper) is using crowd sourced data and is essentially guessing the location of each tower. It is more clear if you look at Mt Buningyong. The tower should sit right on the peak.

Qzdb3QPOsP.png

The RFNSA is an official site operated by the telco industry which provides full addresses/coordinates (as well as other documentation). The towers can also be verified on street view/satellite view.

Although you're likely correct around the general directionless nature of towers. We also only have this single ping to go off. I'm also not sure if a phone will continuously ping all towers in range. However, it appears as though police are interpreting it as though it was closest to the golf course tower. If that is the case, then there is a considerable area that the ping could've come from. If it did ping other nearby towers at the same time, then I'm sure police have already done some basic triangulation with that information.

Attachments

• 1707537759445.png
    1707537759445.png
    400.8 KB · Views: 4
Not everybody is asked to make a public appeal. There are circumstances that are gone thru at the detectives huddle that conclude that there is reason to get the husband, the kids, the brother, etc to front up and make an unrehearsed from the heart public appeal, and many a murderer has fallen for this, and made a complete dingbat of themselves in doing do. The public appeal thing is much more than merely appealing to the public for information.

I'm still thinking heatstroke/heat exhaustion. Became confused and wandered off at some random point.
Just for reference, according to the BOM site the low temp for that day was 12.5 degrees. At 9am it was 25.3 degrees with 38% humidity.

I am from south eastern QLD so 25.3 degrees with 38% humidity is considered a moderate temp lol. I have lived in Melbourne and I know heat hits differently down there And how it can effect the locals being generally a colder climate.

I personally don’t think it was a factor however it’s just my opinion and I could be way off. You would think a person who regularly walks/jogs longer distances would be acutely aware of the temperature they were going out in. And it depends on how long she was actually out and whether she was in the extreme stuff. I did read she had low blood pressure and covid recently, I’m not sure of the validity of that so JMO.

Attachments

• E941CA2A-E418-47AD-BE3C-A5CF7D5E47C9.png
    E941CA2A-E418-47AD-BE3C-A5CF7D5E47C9.png
    403.3 KB · Views: 7
I believe this map (Cellmapper) is using crowd sourced data and is essentially guessing the location of each tower. It is more clear if you look at Mt Buningyong. The tower should sit right on the peak.

View attachment 482263

The RFNSA is an official site operated by the telco industry which provides full addresses/coordinates (as well as other documentation). The towers can also be verified on street view/satellite view.

Although you're likely correct around the general directionless nature of towers. We also only have this single ping to go off. I'm also not sure if a phone will continuously ping all towers in range. However, it appears as though police are interpreting it as though it was closest to the golf course tower. If that is the case, then there is a considerable area that the ping could've come from. If it did ping other nearby towers at the same time, then I'm sure police have already done some basic triangulation with that information.

Thank you for the correction I'm always happy to be directed to more official sites

My thoughts about the food was that he was just trying to say thanks to those who had provided it.
I don't see anything strange in thanking people.
Agreed. As I said earlier in the thread, it is very common here for families to thank searchers and volunteers, regardless of the outcome. That goes for people who donate meals and other things, too. There is nothing sinister in it.

MOO

If the person who attacked Sissy last year is a repeat offender I wonder how many other people have had a run in with said person physical or not and either haven't reported it or have thought nothing of it
IKR, this scares me the most for several reasons:
1) it was a serious assault that didn't seem to be taken seriously
2) I never heard about it
3) I have close friends who live in this area
4) One of my closest and first friends after I moved to Australia, from another country, lived in Buninyong. When I first went up to the lookout here, she told me not to go alone, that there was some not so good people up there. This was in 2000-2004, that's 24 years. I always got a funny gut feeling about that lookout.
5) What if this is a repeat offender and WHAT else have they done, and what the he!! is being done about it
ETA, apparently my reasons were more than 3!

Theirs not a lot of info to go with, but my mind keeps circling back to if something happened while running they would have found her during their searches. So that leaves me with two thoughts, she doesn't want to be found or their is an outside influence involved.

Can someone confirm the mileage from her home to the golf club? Not mileage that you would get on a topo map, but mileage that you would do if you were actually walking to the golf club.
Google maps says 11kms to 12kms depending on the route taken

Attachments

• 1DEE7324-2C16-4688-820F-312DB64A9021.jpeg
    1DEE7324-2C16-4688-820F-312DB64A9021.jpeg
    178.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 6F288388-54C4-483A-A037-AF0CAE0DBFEA.jpeg
    6F288388-54C4-483A-A037-AF0CAE0DBFEA.jpeg
    172.7 KB · Views: 19
I think yes, I know how to get around my house, not set off the motion detectors and know exactly where the blind spots are
Would depend on the size of the property too. A regional area leans to the likelihood they have a reasonable size property as opposed to suburbia. Certainly looks from the media photos that they have a lovely home.

Someone could leave the property and not been seen.

Likewise a stalker could probably observe the comings and goings of the house and not be seen.

I don't think we can read too much into this.
1. It's hot out there
2. If my loved one was missing I wouldn't be thinking about my clothing... probably rock up in something I'd been wearing for the past 3 days!
3. I think his words are more the interesting factor here

All moo

Agree, the clothes are exactly what I would expect from a middle aged Aussie bloke.

Agree, the clothes are exactly what I would expect from a middle aged Aussie bloke.
Especially at this time of year and in that area of victoria. I believe outfits like this are colloquially known as a bogan tuxedo. Please note I'm not calling him a bogan merely demonstrating that it is not an out of the ordinary fashion choice. To be honest I'm surprised he's not wearing thongs/flip flops

Perhaps she has run away with another woman or man. Stranger things can happen and if she has done so it would be the best outcome outside finding her alone and alive.

She could have. But I would have expected her to pick a better time so that she would have longer. Like, not when she’s expected for brunch. People sitting at a cafe waiting for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back