Mud-Bogging Accident Kills 2 yr old, 4 yr old

White Rain

Reaction score
What kind of idiot would do this with small kids in a car anyway?

GRIFFIN, Ga. — A sport utility vehicle speeding down a muddy road slammed into trees and exploded, killing four people, including two children, and injuring two others, authorities said.
Investigators believe alcohol, recent rain and reckless driving may have been factors in Friday night's crash of the Ford Bronco, which burned completely, state Trooper J.T. McMillan said.
"They were out there, playing around, mud-bogging on the dirt road," McMillan said. "They got stuck in the dirt and were pulled out by a dump truck. They sped off down the road and the driver struck two trees."
The SUV was traveling around 70 mph at impact, and the occupants weren't wearing seat belts, he said.
more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,318973,00.html

How stupid can a parent be?!? Mud bogging is dangerous in and of itself, but to do so with children in the car? I've been mud bogging... and while it's a mind-blowing experience, never, never would I allow any children to be in the vehicle at the time. Stupid woman... what was she thinking?

Unbelievable. Those poor babies. Can you imagine how terrified they must have been?

This is one of those time when I wish I was not from Georgia... :doh:

Some people should never be parents. This is horrific.

How stupid can a parent be?!? Mud bogging is dangerous in and of itself, but to do so with children in the car? I've been mud bogging... and while it's a mind-blowing experience, never, never would I allow any children to be in the vehicle at the time. Stupid woman... what was she thinking?
They DON'T think Magic. They only care about themselves and what THEY want to do. Makes me SOOOO ANGRY! :banghead: And on top of everything else...they were DRINKING with kids in the car!!!!

Also it said the occupants weren't believed to be wearing seat-belts...shouldn't the 2 yr old and the 4 yr old be in some kind of child-restraint seat....
God this strikes a cord, maybe because I am a fellow Georgian...not too far from Griffin myself...
We did have alot of rain recently, shoot, my own yard was full of nothing but mud, and myself driving an expedition slid on the mud trying to stop in my yard alone....
I can't imagine the terror these poor kids felt...mud-bogging with kids...my God...the logicality (is that a word? well yall know what I mean) of it is less than anyone with HALF a brain could ever concieve of...
I am SO disgusted. I hope the drive is harshly charged...
A vehicle IS NOT a toy, not something to play or take chances in...God it makes me sick...I dated a guy in my teenage years who thought a car was nothing but a toy...Once while waiting at a red light to turn left he stomped on the gas and his mustang turned two revolutions in the road...I looked up and all I saw out of my rear-side window was the back-end of a van and tail-lights....thankfully we DID not wreck, he managed to bring it under control....but all I can remember is spinning around in the road, praying and opening my eyes to see a vans tail-lights within inches of my eyes...THANK THE LORD ABOVE we didn't wreck...but we came SO close...
ex-hubby thought a car was nothing BUT a game...he still thinks so...although three years ago he wrecked (due to carelessness) and paralyzed a passenger of his...such a tragedy...I am so glad I escaped unscathed back when I rode with him!

:doh: :doh: :doh:
I'm from an area not too far from there, and I've never even heard of "mud bogging".
I read the title of this thread as " Mind Boggling" because that's how my brain filled in the blanks.

What a senseless bunch of adults! That's about all I can say which is able to be posted. And I mean no disrespect for the dead, but dumb is dumb.
Like Angel said, it makes me ashamed to say I am from Georgia. Whatever this redneck sport is, if it isn't against the law, it needs to be. Slamming little babies into TREES at 70 MPH.
Oh, I am having a really hard time with this. Poor litlte babies weren't even of the age to say " Go faster". 2 and 4 year olds have very little concept of speed or time.
WHY oh Why? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Absolutely unbelievable. Three women and three little kids in this car. One 2 and two 4 yr olds.:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I surely don't think mud bogging, which is actually a lot of fun, should be outlawed. Sometimes I wish stupidity were against the law, but then I fear we'd all be in jail sooner or later.

It goes without saying that this is not an activity for young kids and that young kids shouldn't be riding in a vehicle without car seats and proper restraints. This is heartbreaking. My prayers for the families.

I surely don't think mud bogging, which is actually a lot of fun, should be outlawed. Sometimes I wish stupidity were against the law, but then I fear we'd all be in jail sooner or later.

It goes without saying that this is not an activity for young kids and that young kids shouldn't be riding in a vehicle without car seats and proper restraints. This is heartbreaking. My prayers for the families.

I may not understand what it is.. It sounds like skiing on mud in a vehicle, instead of skiing on skis in water or snow. Am I right in the assumption that whatever this is, it leaves the driver with little control over the vehicle due to the sliding mud?

I may not understand what it is.. It sounds like skiing on mud in a vehicle, instead of skiing on skis in water or snow. Am I right in the assumption that whatever this is, it leaves the driver with little control over the vehicle due to the sliding mud?

My husband goes mud bogging twice a year. Basically, it is driving your Jeep, truck, etc through muddy trails. They usually go really slow. Like 5mph. I don't even think my hubby could even go 70 mph in his rig.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/me...deaths_1230.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab

Two of the women's husbands had just helped get the Bronco out of the mud but, in the process, had gotten their dump truck stuck in a ditch, the trooper said. While the men tried to extricate themselves, Guffey and her passengers sped off in the Bronco.

A short distance away, Guffey lost control, and the Bronco went off the road and hit one tree and then another before bursting into flames, McMillan said. The husbands came upon the wreck on their way home and called 911.

Autopsies will determine whether the four died from the impact or from the fire that engulfed the Bronco.

Hey SJ - It's what Squish said - taking your jeep in mud - usually you don't go real fast - you do tend to get stuck and slide around some. It can be a lot of fun on a pretty day - but 70 m.p.h. on a muddy road with a bunch of unbuckled children is wreckless to the point of insanity, but since most of the adults were intoxicated, it's not that surprising!

Yes that is pretty much it.Most of the time it is done in a huge field.But sounds like this woman was driving down a dirt road and with the recent rain that area had bet it was pretty muddy.(Most dirt roads in GA are very tree lined.)

70 mph was way way to fast.Sounds like she really did not know what she was doing.A dump truck had already pulled them out of a ditch.Idiot.I am just shaking my head.I don't understand it.You should never do this with children in the car,you should be belted in and roll bars should be installed and you never ever drive 70 mph while doing bogging or off roading:doh: !!

Those poor babies.I am so sorry you had idiots taking care of you :(

Hey SJ - It's what Squish said - taking your jeep in mud - usually you don't go real fast - you do tend to get stuck and slide around some. It can be a lot of fun on a pretty day - but 70 m.p.h. on a muddy road with a bunch of unbuckled children is wreckless to the point of insanity, but since most of the adults were intoxicated, it's not that surprising!

I've been mud bogging and watched as people rolled their vehicles. It is fun, but it is also dangerous if you really don't know what you're doing...

I've been mud bogging and watched as people rolled their vehicles. It is fun, but it is also dangerous if you really don't know what you're doing...

My sister's ex-husband was into it for a while - you're right - you have to know what you're doing or you can get stuck or hurt or, obviously, worse. Plus - add alcohol to the equation - and things can get really hairy!

I've been to mud bogging events too. There are officials and everything. To call this mud bogging is a serious misuse of the term.

This was driving while stupid.

I grew up in South Carolina, and many a late night we did the backroads thing. One night we even took a jeep to a sandpit. That one was scary as all get out because rain had washed roads away and what was once a hill had now caved into a ten foot drop.

Of course we were TEENAGERS and not ADULTS and we didn't have CHILDREN in the car.

I knew parents like this in my teens, that still thought they were teens themselves and would bring their kids into their partying. I didn't even read the article but I'm betting that's what this is. Parents who wanted to cut the fool but didn't feel like getting a babysitter. Sheer stupidity. It never ended well for the people I knew either.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cynde64
Back