Stomach Flu Spread By Contaminated Computer Keyboards

Dark Knight

Reaction score
THURSDAY, Jan. 3 (HealthDay News) -- The highly contagious norovirus, often called the stomach flu, can be passed from one person to another through contact with commonly shared items such as computer keyboards and computer mice, U.S. health officials report.

The virus, which is common in winter and is the most frequent cause of outbreaks of vomiting and diarrhea in the United States, is often contracted in schools, at work and on cruise ships.

The virus can live on surfaces for several days, Chai said. To prevent infection with the virus, people should wash their hands after using shared objects, and computer keyboards and mice should be disinfected regularly with diluted bleach, he said.

"In addition, people who are ill should stay home for one to three days after they have had their last symptom, because they continue to shed the virus and can still contaminate objects," Chai added.

"The best way to stop the spread of norovirus is to wash your hands regularly with soap and stay home from work or school if you are sick," Dr. Sharon Balter, director of enteric disease for the New York City Health Department's Bureau of Communicable Disease, said in a prepared statement. "Norovirus is common at this time of year and is not serious for most people, but it is important to take these steps to keep others from getting sick."

Imperato agreed. "Hand-washing remains the foundation of preventing the spread of norovirus," he said.

More information

For more on norovirus, visit the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20080103/hl_hsn/stomachfluspreadbycontaminatedcomputerkeyboards

Well, there you go, DK!

You've been making some of us sick with your keyboard for years, but now you're not alone! :crazy:

Well, there you go, DK!

You've been making some of us sick with your keyboard for years, but now you're not alone! :crazy:

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!! We need a rim shot smiley, lol. :p

I am going to print this article out at work tomorrow. My co-workers hate that I disinfect my keyboard, mouse, and phone every day. HA no wonder I get sick less than they do. I also disinfect all the doorknobs so I can see where it might get on their nerves but I am still sick less than they are. I wash my hands several times a day and I never use someone elses pen.

I am going to print this article out at work tomorrow. My co-workers hate that I disinfect my keyboard, mouse, and phone every day. HA no wonder I get sick less than they do. I also disinfect all the doorknobs so I can see where it might get on their nerves but I am still sick less than they are. I wash my hands several times a day and I never use someone elses pen.

I can see common items like phones and pens, but who else uses your mouse and keyboard but you? If you do have some stealth filth-purveyors who use your machine while you're not around, we have neat thingy in the OR called a pressure autoclave and you could steam sterilize those hands who secretly use your board and mouse; now that would stop some germs.....

Crypto6

I can see common items like phones and pens, but who else uses your mouse and keyboard but you? If you do have some stealth filth-purveyors who use your machine while you're not around, we have neat thingy in the OR called a pressure autoclave and you could steam sterilize those hands who secretly use your board and mouse; now that would stop some germs.....

Crypto6

I don't know about Michele, but I have worked in offices before where we worked in shifts and computers were shared.

Seems to me we should each take responsibility for keeping our own hands out of our own mouths and away from our own eyes. Lifelong nail biter talking here, but wouldn't that solve the problem?

And this is what makes my job as an IT tech dangerous... to constantly have to touch peoples contaminated computers/keyboards... it's a wonder we even survive...

Crypto6

LOL I like the idea of pressure autoclave!
My co-workers use my computer all the time for different reasons as well as my shredder.

I don't know about Michele, but I have worked in offices before where we worked in shifts and computers were shared.

Seems to me we should each take responsibility for keeping our own hands out of our own mouths and away from our own eyes. Lifelong nail biter talking here, but wouldn't that solve the problem?

I agree and take responsibilty for keeping our work areas germ free!
I know I am a little over the top on this issue. :eek:

I agree with Mic....While nobody else uses my computer or phone at work, I give our front desk staff breaks twice a day and a couple of them are sick now. They have a strong work ethic and don't feel that they should take off unless they absolutely can't get out of bed in the morning. I've been disenfecting the phone, keyboard and mouse each time I give them a break. It doesn't hurt their feelings...indeed they keep a container of disenfectant wipes and spray on their desk for that purpose. In a perfect world, we would all take off every time we don't feel well so as not to contaminate anyone, but that's hard to do in today's corporate world.

Well, there you go, DK!

LOL...good one Nova!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

What is acceptable for cleaning a keyboard and mouse? Is a Clorox wipe OK or is it too strong or caustic?

What is acceptable for cleaning a keyboard and mouse? Is a Clorox wipe OK or is it too strong or caustic?

I use Clorox wipes without a problem. I have had 1 cold in 3 years since I got anti-germ. I don't think Clorox states to use them on keyboards but I do.

I use Clorox wipes without a problem. I have had 1 cold in 3 years since I got anti-germ. I don't think Clorox states to use them on keyboards but I do.

Thanks. I have used them on keyboards in the computer lab at school. We have brand new Macs and I would be horrified if I ruined them. I'm also somewhat germaphobic. :blushing:

Thanks. I have used them on keyboards in the computer lab at school. We have brand new Macs and I would be horrified if I ruined them. I'm also somewhat germaphobic. :blushing:

I can see not wnanting to ruin a new Mac!

LOL, way before computers were in the work place the same thing was said of the typewriters, phones, copy machines, etc. so this is no big news or surprise.

Ever see all the little kids at the library using the computers? Picking their noses and sneezing all over them. Bless their little germie bugger souls. I think "Whoa, somebody gonna get sick in here".

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back