ALERT: STOCK MARKET BIG DROP (STOCKS DOWN 420 pts)...

I hear my 401k tumbling!:mad: :eek: :eek:

Depending on how old you are, it's a good thing (that is, if you're young). It means you'll be able to buy more shares because of cheaper stock prices. If you're near retirement then this is a concern.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The Federal Reserve slashed two key interest rates by three-quarters of a percentage point Tuesday following an unscheduled meeting, citing continued concerns about a weakening economy and turmoil in the financial markets.

The Fed lowered its federal funds rate, which impacts how much consumers pay on credit card debt, home equity lines of credit and auto loans, to 3.5 percent from 4.25 percent.

Link: http://money.cnn.com/2008/01/22/news/economy/fed_rates/index.htm?cnn=yes

Much ado about nothing--Dow is almost green now--and the penny, sub-penny market is still red hot, as it has been for four years

Depending on how old you are, it's a good thing (that is, if you're young). It means you'll be able to buy more shares because of cheaper stock prices. If you're near retirement then this is a concern.

Seriously:
How old?
If you're young @ 16?
If you're young @ 21?
If you're young @ 40?

Near retirement?
How near????
1 year?
5 years?
10 years?

TIA...

OH NO :eek: :( I don't wanna look... aaaauuugh! I just went through this at the beginning of the year. I was checking my 401K and it took a dive the first few days, then it went back up and I was happy again.. I'm afraid to look..

Seriously:
How old?
If you're young @ 16?
If you're young @ 21?
If you're young @ 40?

Near retirement?
How near????
1 year?
5 years?
10 years?

TIA...

Hehe, I don't know of any 16 year old with their own 401k. They must be a child prodigy.

Generally the younger you are with a 401k the more aggressive some financial advisors will suggest you be. There's time to bounce back from stock slides.

Gradually as you age you'll want to become less aggressive and put more into stable funds. By the time you retire all (if not most) should be in stable funds.

I can't really tell you what ages, but it's a sliding scale. I'm sure there are articles available on the internet to describe this.

OH NO :eek: :( I don't wanna look... aaaauuugh! I just went through this at the beginning of the year. I was checking my 401K and it took a dive the first few days, then it went back up and I was happy again.. I'm afraid to look..

My advice? Don't. :bang:

I was considering retirement in a year when DH retires. It doesn't look like that's gonna happen now. My 401K has lost way too much to get out now. Ughghghgh.

See? This is the upside to being poor! I'm not affected!

Ramen noodles and Mac & Cheese for the win!

ok, so I may have to leave off the cheese if anything goes wonky with my company.

But try taking my Mac away! Just try it!
=====

My youngest daughter thinks I've been around since the ark. She asked me one time what I went through during the Depression. (I'm 40!)

I just told her that our family was too poor to know anything about it. We were perpetually depressed anyway and didn't notice the change.

Historically, you will make more in the stock market than anywhere else. You just have to go with the flow and not panic and sell! It is just a loss on paper. I still don't like all of my losses; and I should follow my investments a little closer than I do...However, I have more than I ever would have had had I stuck my money in a saving account at the bank.

Historically, you will make more in the stock market than anywhere else. You just have to go with the flow and not panic and sell! It is just a loss on paper. I still don't like all of my losses; and I should follow my investments a little closer than I do...However, I have more than I ever would have had had I stuck my money in a saving account at the bank.

Great advice. The stock market will come back. Here's an article I just found discussing what to do when the market's down.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/personal/01/22/willis.what2do/index.html

Things are fine here under the bridge. The only thing we’ve noticed is that when people throw their trash out of their car windows as they zip by there’s less crumbs to eat.

Oh, to be a grown up.

I have to worry about my 401K and my job! We got emails at work suggesting ways the salespeople could create new business. This is worrisome.

I had heard them discussing all this on CNN Weekend and the analyst suggested keeping a close eye on your 401K, being the first one at work and the last to leave. But, he was also optimistic and said these things last for only 10 to 16 month!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charharr
Back