GUILTY NJ - Felicia Mikels, 17, Pennsauken, 18 Jan 2007

SewingDeb

"Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
Reaction score
We had a thread on the baby who was found but I can't find it today.

2 Charged In Missing Mother, Abandoned Baby Case

CHERRY HILL (CBS 3) ― Authorities called the case of missing Camden County mother a homicide Sunday, a day after her abandoned infant was discovered in Cherry Hill. Two suspects were arrested and charged in connection with her apparent murder.

The search for 17-year-old Felicia Mikels, of Pennsauken, lead investigators to the Cinnaminson Creek in Cinnaminson, Burlington County around 11:30 Sunday morning.

Police said the young mother of an abandoned infant was beaten sometime Friday night by someone she knew and was dumped in the Pennsauken Creek. Police are working to recover her body.

The Camden County Prosecuters office labeled the investigation as a homicide, but would not confirm what led them to the creek.

~much more at link~

http://cbs3.com/topstories/Child.Abandoned.Infant.2.633732.html

Her baby was found by a good samaritan in someone's yard last week.

2 Charged In Missing Mother, Abandoned Baby Case

CHERRY HILL (CBS 3) ― Authorities called the case of missing Camden County mother a homicide Sunday, a day after her abandoned infant was discovered in Cherry Hill. Two suspects were arrested and charged in connection with her apparent murder.

The search for 17-year-old Felicia Mikels, of Pennsauken, lead investigators to the Cinnaminson Creek in Cinnaminson, Burlington County around 11:30 Sunday morning.

Police said the young mother of an abandoned infant was beaten sometime Friday night by someone she knew and was dumped in the Pennsauken Creek. Police are working to recover her body.

The Camden County Prosecuters office labeled the investigation as a homicide, but would not confirm what led them to the creek.

Pictures and more at link.

Bump

This is a really strange one. The adorable baby, who was 1 week old and had been born prematurely, was found in a side yard and when police found out who the baby belonged to, they discovered the 17 year old mother missing and are calling her case a homicide. Two have been charged and the search is on for her body.

They keep updating the link I provided. Now the article says:

Uncle Charged In Missing Mother Case

Late Sunday, Pennsauken police charged Felicia Mikel's uncle, 26-year-old Christopher Michaels, who lived in the same Pennsauken home, as an accomplice to her murder.

Michaels' friend, 25-year-old Douglas Mandichak, of Maple Shade, was charged with her murder.

One of the suspects is her uncle, who has since told police, he may be the father of her child. Supposedly, local news channels are saying the murder was over money.........

Thanks kk's mom! I had a feeling one of the two men might be the father. I guess it was child support that created the money problems.

Update at link:

Police said allege a dispute over money led to the beating death of the young mother sometime Friday evening. During a news conference Monday, authorities said the teen was lured to bowling alley parking lot on Maple Avenue by her uncle 26-year-old Christopher Michaels, and Michaels' friend, 25-year-old Douglas Mandichak, of Maple Shade.

"It is unclear to us whether the intent was homicide from the very beginning or whether the intent was to scare her away or to scare her into paying them back the money that they thought she owed them," said acting Camden Co. Prosecutor Josh Ottenberg.

Authorities said Mikels was beaten with a piece of wood and her lifeless body was dumped into the Cinnaminson Creek. The men also allegedly contemplated killing the baby.

"There was discussion between the two of them as whether or not the baby should go in the river with the mother," said Ottenberg.

Poor girl. Did you see a pic of the baby? Precious baby angel...........I think I read too that she lived with the Uncle.......I wonder if their was a relationship and if the family knew about it? I guess, did her family know the Uncle was the father?

One of the suspects is her uncle, who has since told police, he may be the father of her child. Supposedly, local news channels are saying the murder was over money.........

Curious if he is her biological uncle in which case it would be incest (sick) or is he the uncle by marriage? Thank god they didn't harm the baby. Do we know who has the baby? This poor girl was so young just 17, this such a sad story.

A baby was found in a car seat by the side of the road. The grandmother identified her based on the car seat. Baby and mother had been reported missing.

Mother was murdered by an acquaintance, while HER UNCLE watched. Then she was thrown into an icy creek. The uncle wouldn't let him throw the baby in because, THE UNCLE THINKS HE MIGHT BE THE BABY'S FATHER.

http://www.nj.com/southjersey/index.ssf/2008/01/two_men_charged_in_teen_mother.html

Luthersmama, I was actually just about to post that. Thank you for those links. That's not fifteen minutes from me. Right this second they are saying there's an update on the news. When I saw where they left the baby I automatically knew that no mother would place a child where they did. It looked like they just opened the car door and put that car seat out so close to the road.

Ohhhhhhhhh they both confessed. They killed this poor girl over an old debt. They also admitted they thought about killing the baby, but changed their minds. Police are still searching for Felicia's body in the water. Here's her Myspace, but appears to be an old one as I don't see pictures of the baby on there.

Here's is another (I think), more recent but set to private.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=110316304

Appears to be her sister? Lots of pictures of the baby.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=14830346

Another for the sister.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=105186258

And for their mother.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=71839261

Thank you, Colomom. How sad this is. Felicia was just a kid with adult responsibilities. By all accounts they said she was such a good mom. Unfortunately, over in Camden and Palymra and such in Jersey there's alot of violence. I'm praying people don't just blow this off because her family isn't from a great socio economic background. Thank God they left the baby. It's just so sad.

They keep updating the link I provided. Now the article says:

Uncle Charged In Missing Mother Case

Late Sunday, Pennsauken police charged Felicia Mikel's uncle, 26-year-old Christopher Michaels, who lived in the same Pennsauken home, as an accomplice to her murder.

Michaels' friend, 25-year-old Douglas Mandichak, of Maple Shade, was charged with her murder.

Christopher Michaels says that he thinks he is the father of the baby girl! The two lived in the same house and he is her uncle! The two debated on throwing the baby girl into the creek with her mother! Thank God they didn't.
All of this over some money that they thought she owed them? Sounds like there is more to this story then what has been released so far. DNA was taken from both of the guys.

Well, I won't criticize them for being poor. But that little house had a lot of people living in it: Grandma, her two sons, two granddaughters, two great grandbabies. Who was suppporting them? Where is the father of the other baby? Sounds like a mess. I'm not sure the infant should go back to that situation. Didn't anybody try to tell Felicia that taking a premature 6 week old out in a stroller on a cold day to a bowling alley was probably not in the baby's best interests to begin with?

Well, I won't criticize them for being poor. But that little house had a lot of people living in it: Grandma, her two sons, two granddaughters, two great grandbabies. Who was suppporting them? Where is the father of the other baby? Sounds like a mess. I'm not sure the infant should go back to that situation. Didn't anybody try to tell Felicia that taking a premature 6 week old out in a stroller on a cold day to a bowling alley was probably not in the baby's best interests to begin with?

You know what they say, hindsight is 20/20.

She was a very young mother. I'm sure we've all made little mistakes like that with our first babies. None of our mistakes cost us our lives though... How tragic.

You know what they say, hindsight is 20/20.

She was a very young mother. I'm sure we've all made little mistakes like that with our first babies. None of our mistakes cost us our lives though... How tragic.

My problem is with the grandmother, older sister and father. And mother for that matter, even though she wasn't living with her. That girl needed somebody to guide her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back