Snow day reaction goes viral

Elphaba

Defying Gravity...
Reaction score
Not sure what to think of this, but it has gone viral on Facebook and Youtube. So, did Mrs. Tisdadt go overboard on her reaction, or was the kid that called to inquire about a snow day, in the wrong?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2008/01/22/ST2008012203683.html

(brief synopsis: a 17 yr old was concerned as to why school was not called on the account of snowfall, so he called the school board and couldn't find the superintendent at the office, so he called his home phone to inquire. The 17 yr old kid said he left a polite message to only have the super's wife call back and leave a very harsh message to the kid. The kid posted the voice message on a facebook page he made, and now it has gone viral.)

I agree with this statement from the article:

"One Oakton High School student said in a posting yesterday that the crank calls to the Tistadts' home were out of line but that Kori's call was appropriate. "I am not happy that [Dean Tistadt] gambled multiple times with our safety just so we might have a bit more knowledge crammed in our heads at school," he wrote."

If Tistadt did not want his private life "invaded" then he should have had an unlisted number. The wife should not have decided to take it upon herself and throw a tizzy fit because a student called. She should have contacted her husband and let him take care of the issue.

The only person I see that overexaggerated and was out of line is the wife...

That women had no right calling this kid.
I really don't think he did anything wrong by politely calling and leaving a message.

We constantly get calls re: the park that Hubby runs..
Our house number is listed as one of the emergency contact numbers.
I would never take it upon myself to reply for my husband!
I will answer questions if I know the answer and can be helpful... Like someone lost their gate code or needs directions or some other information.

WOW! What in the world is wrong with that woman? I hope she apologizes and slinks back into the background. She could potentially cost her husband his job since he's an elected official. It's not that hard to make your number private if you don't want people calling. Besides that, most reasonable adults would call the kids parents and discuss it with them, if they even had a problem with him calling, versus going off on a kid. Even at 17, he's still a minor. I don't think the kid did anything wrong. Just this nutjob lady, imo.

When I first heard them talking about this on the radio this a.m., I thought, why would this kid call their house. But their number was listed so they are asking for it. Then when I heard her message, I was like, this woman is wayyyyyyyy out of line.....calling kids "snot nose brats".......I was so p'o'd after listening to her.....

In our school district, all teachers and administrators have unlisted numbers....maybe they should have had one......

I wonder if she would have left that particular message for a parent? Or, did she feel comfortable since it was only a "snot-nose brat"? Really, the message wasn't left for her, and she shouldn't have returned the call. If she absolutely felt she had to return that call all she had to say is "School is in session today. Please don't call our home number again unless it is an actual emergency. Thank you."

She came across as crazy! Why did she bother to call?

Yes,the woman handled it very badly,but on the other hand,the teen knew the school was opened,why the heck is this kid calling the residence of the supervisor questioning them why it wasn't closed? This isn't Mayberry,I'm sure it would have been broadcast on the tv/radio,if it was closed.But to question why it wasn't closed? I'd be annoyed too...but not as annoyed as that lady. lol.

The wife was wrong to call the kid back but I think the kid also was wrong to call the supervisor's home. Three inches of snow is not a lot and the responsibility for calling off school isn't up to one person. It's most often a team decision among transportation, administration and sometimes road commissions and law enforcement. Those people get up very early and drive the roads themselves to see what the hazards are. People also get ticked off when school IS called off.

What a stooge. Rule number one when dealing with kids..especially if your dh is working in a professional capacity.

Don't stoop to their level.

This lady blew it and she is never going to live this down. If the boy was threatening..call the cops. if he was harrassing..call the cops. If he was out of line, deal with it like an adult.

The wife was wrong to call the kid back but I think the kid also was wrong to call the supervisor's home. Three inches of snow is not a lot and the responsibility for calling off school isn't up to one person. It's most often a team decision among transportation, administration and sometimes road commissions and law enforcement. Those people get up very early and drive the roads themselves to see what the hazards are. People also get ticked off when school IS called off.

I don't think it was wrong to call the house.. By all account the 17 Yo was not rude.
In reality school district employees work for the public. I do not see anything wrong with this teen calling to ask a question.
The better way to have handled the situation would have been for the Superintendent to call the teen and explain how choosing to shut down school is handled.

What a stooge. Rule number one when dealing with kids..especially if your dh is working in a professional capacity....

No doubt - do you think she's just a wee bit resentful that DH spends all his time in meetings regarding children???!! Sounds like someone's not getting her needs met on the home front.

I hope that I'm always able to hide the crazy better than that!

That man needs to keep his stupid wife off the phone. If she feels free to call the students "snotty nosed brats" then maybe HE doesn't need to work for the district. I think this is horrible! :mad: She is a from H*LL if you ask me.:furious:

Those phone calls might be annoying, but he's well compensated for his position.

Two more school officials are ranked next, Deputy Superintendent Richard Moniuszko and Chief Operating Officer Dean Tistadt, both nearing the $200,000 salary mark.

I think she was totally out of line! That was uncalled for.....

She forgets those snot nose brats give her a paycheck to
help spend & keep her fed & clothed. She needs to crawl back under the rock she crawled out from under! I bet she can barely leave her house now!!!! Serves the beetch right!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back