Pierce Brosnan's wife

Ohh..pedinurse bless your heart I also have PCOS you know where that name came from the initals from two or three doctors who discovered PCOS from chicago university years ago. Another hormone that woman should have checked when going through the change or who has pcos is their testostrone levels and if their levels are elevated they should take 200 mg a day of Aldactone that lowers the testostrone level and also had a sparing diertic in it that does not deplete one's potassuim. And throughout the years of research on the drug they have found the pts. who have CHF it keeps them from building up fluids around the heart and from having more CHF issues.

aldactone has been a godsend for me... ESPECIALLY for my face!!! and you know WHO put me on the proper dose?
a freakin dermatologist!! she was like - hormones are not our friends and we have got to get yours straightened out sister!

What a beautiful post and to hear a doctor say this means a lot. The reason being is that you are being so honest. Would you agree with me that they are just finally breaking through with the rule that the pitutary,thyroid,adrenal and ovaries that have to do with our weight problems? I was just telling a member that woman who are going through the change of life start putting on a few pounds here and there due to one's hormone levels dropping. Have you ever had a pt. with cushings Chloekins? Do you agree that woman that are starting and going through the change of life even though their thyroid level is low but still in that low normal range should be put on the lowest dose of thryroid meds? Thank you in advance.
WindChime

Menopause starts the process of the cessation of ovulation and hence menstrual flow in women.The eggs that remain in the women's uterus begin to become resistant to a hormone called follicle stimulating hormone. As a result the eggs cease to be released from the ovary and thus begin a decline in overall estrogen levels in the body. Weight gain will soon follow. Most women begin to gain weight during the perimenopause years and continue into full menopause. I believe the average weight gain during these years is anywhere from 12-20 pounds. Most women begin to notice a gathering of fat tissue around their abdomens versus where the used to gain which would be the hips, thighs and bottom.

The 4 culprits in menopause weight gain are estrogen, progesterone, androgen and testosterone. When the body ceases to obtain ovulation a dramatic decrease in estrogen occurs. Since your body requires estrogen for normal function your body looks to your stored fat cells for a new source. Estrogen metabolism is now mainly provided by the fat cells which take calories, covert them into fat in order to produce more estrogen. Thus the end result is more fat storage to equal more estrogen.

All of these guys and some more are responsible for weight gain in menopausal women. It is a well known fact that your primary care physician should discuss with you. There is no way around it and it will happen. One need to be conscious of the overall weight gain is that there have been studies that claim that there is a link between postmenopausal weight gain and breast cancer. This link is merely between weight gained after the hormonal shift not due to weight carried before. It is important to be aware of this potential pitfall of menopause. As if ladies didn't have enough to worry about during this time period!

Interesting that you mention Cushings WindChime. One of my first cases as a cytopathologist fellow was a young woman with Cushings disease due to a pituitary adenoma.

To answer your question concerning thyroid medication and menopause, I would be hesitant to recommend thyroid medication if your levels are still within normal range. If you are experiencing menopause symptoms there are different medications out there that help to alleviate some of the more problematic ones such as hot flashes and dryness. If you are currently on a estrogen replacement therapy you may have an increase in thyroid-binding globulin which does effect the hormone that the thyroid produces. If you are concerned that this is something that you suffer from or if you experience bladder problems, night sweats (not associated with hot flashes) or abnormally tender breasts,you can ask your doctor to preform thyroid antibody tests, free T-3 and T-4 levels and T-3 uptake. Since I do not have access to your medical records I certainly could not tell you for sure what you should do. I would make sure to talk to your ob/gyn or primary physician and ask them about your options. I would not jump on taking medication that I didnt really need.

I hope this answers your questions!
Chloe

exactly. some say that overeating is just filling a hole inside that you can't seem to fill any other way. i think sometimes that hole is a sense of being loved, belonging, feeling appreciated. lots of people are so lonely. mickey D is their best buddy. i know this because I've been there.

I've been there too...although I feel my 2nd hubby loves me beyond and above what my first hubby did, and loves and accepts my 2 girls...there is still a part of me that never feels happy UNLESS I am eating....how sad....

<I've been there too...although I feel my 2nd hubby loves me beyond and above what my first hubby did, and loves and accepts my 2 girls...there is still a part of me that never feels happy UNLESS I am eating....how sad....>

hey WR.. nothing wring with that at all! Eating SHOULD be enjoyable and make you happy!! :D

Do you think that she is comfortable? Can you have alot of energy and feel strong and healthy when you're that much overweight? I know for me I can't stand even being a few pounds heavier, it just doesn't feel like me and I hate the feeling of it. I'm asking because I just don't know.

I support any woman who loves herself as she is...if they really do and aren't just saying that as an excuse. And if she is unhappy, she really can make positive changes in her life to feel better and be healthy. It's hard work, but it's very possible.

I know for me I can't stand even being a few pounds overweight, it just doesn't feel like me and I hate the feeling of it.

I support any woman who loves herself as she is...if they really do and aren't just saying that as an excuse. And if she is unhappy, she really can make positive changes in her life to feel better and be healthy. It's hard work, but it's very possible.

I'm the same way, Dryad.. I can't stand being a few pounds over my idea weight. I get depressed because this means I have to diet to lose it. hehe I'm about 5'4 1/2 " and the most I ever weighed, and this was back in high school, was 135 and I HATED IT!!! I knew I needed to do something otherwise it would get out of hand. Once I was out of high school I started waitressing and was on my feet for 8 hours. I started dropping the weight and got down to 118. I told myself I will never let myself get past 120 and I've held true to that to this day. I now weigh 116-118. It takes work to stay at that weight, especially at my age.. :)

Yes, that's what I mean. I'm going to be 47 this year and won't let that be an excuse. I remember before I had kids and people told me that it was going to ruin my body, I just couldn't let that happen. But, it takes alot of work and discipline.

It's true when they say it's a lifestyle choice. I work hard to stay in shape, and it's a big priority in my life which alot of people don't understand. I have more energy now than in my 20s and have no aches and pains, jump around the house all day. I want to always feel like this.

I had a workout buddy who was a very large gal but could whup my butt all over the place. I was near my smallest and had a personal trainer, was in pretty good shape.

She still just had tons of energy. She's always doing those charity walks and can walk for miles and miles. She ate better than I did, too. She didn't eat junk food and didn't starve herself. I have no idea why she never lost any weight. I never asked because she didn't seem overly concerned about it. I do know it bothered her when we went to the gym and the skinny girls would give her looks and laugh. (Of course, they were wearing full makeup and matching outfits, so whatev!)

So, Dryad, I guess it's possible to have a lot of energy if you're overweight. I wish I did. As I lose weight, I gain more energy and want to get out and do more.

I agree. I am a runner and have know people who do marathons and are not thin, although very healthy and strong. They are amazing! I've heard stories of people in races who get passed up by heavier people that you would never expect to happen. It's true...

I was just wondering if you're carrying all of that extra weight, how can that be comfortable in everday life?

I agree. I am a runner and have know people who do marathons and are not thin, although very healthy and strong. They are amazing! I've heard stories of people in races who get passed up by heavier people that you would never expect to happen. It's true...

I was just wondering if you're carrying all of that extra weight, how can that be comfortable in everday life?

I don't know. I'm not comfortable at all. I don't even feel like me. It's so weird when I try to run now. I literally feel like I am lumbering -- sort of like a running hunchback. I made my fiance watch me to see if I looked weird. I can't even explain it. I'm glad I quit smoking finally, but I wish I hadn't gained weight when I did!

Are you walking? You could start with a walk/run program until you feel more comfortable. Any movement is better than nothing.

Congratulations on quitting smoking! That is great! It might just take some time for your body to adjust since you quit. You've given your body a wonderful gift and I know you have to feel better.

Are you walking? You could start with a walk/run program until you feel more comfortable. Any movement is better than nothing.

Congratulations on quitting smoking! That is great! It might just take some time for your body to adjust since you quit. You've given your body a wonderful gift and I know you have to feel better.

Thanks! Yeah, I am mostly walking right now. We walk our dogs 2 times a day, roughly 3 miles all total. Plus, we have a treadclimber that I try to get on as much as I can. I shoot for 3 to 5 times a week. We just bought bikes and I cannot wait to start riding. I'm hoping to get a ride in tomorrow.

I was actually running, or trying to, after one of our dogs when I discovered this weirdness!! LOL.

i just love how it's considered 'racist' to make a positive observation about black people. if a black woman said that about herself it would considered just wonderful and everyone would praise her for saying it. but when a white/ non-black person says it, they get called racist and accused of making negative stereotypes. ya just can't win.

once again.... NOBODY here said that anorexia was the epitome of beauty, or that all bone-thin people are necessarily the healthiest people on earth. (some of them are though.)
the original question was, how did people feel about the way this woman looked (using her as an example). and i think everyone was honest and has a right to be honest about it. not everyone is going to love the way she looks or think she looks healthy. for those who have a true medical issue (not a made-up one) then yes it's a struggle and obviously most people have much empathy. and maybe she does, who knows, or maybe she's genetically programmed to be that size/shape no matter what she does.
i think this post just triggered a lot of thoughts for me about 'large peoples' rights' and how it has gone way too far. YES everyone has a right to be treated with respect,,, but sorry,, there should be limits to what is acceptable. and AGAIN-- if someone has a true medical issue then of course, it's not their fault.
anyway.... (once again...) i do applaud her for going out there just like anyone else, making the most of her looks (regardless of her size).. and not being ashamed. and i applaud her husband too. now if she were to continue ballooning up to 6-700 lbs...... and not any medical reason.... then that is when my patience runs out. because as we talked about, when enough people let themselves go like this... it becomes everyone's problem. there's a reason why the whole world scorns us for being the fattest people on earth!

but (AGAIN...) for those struggling with lifelong health/weight issues... i do feel for you and support you in whatever you're doing to become healthier & happier!!!!!! ...as we all are trying to be (hopefully....)! there's always hope and you should never give up.. and you should never stop loving yourself in the process. my problem is when someone is 5-6-7-800 lbs (for no good reason..) and does nothing about it, and loves themselves to the point where they think they're fine the way they are. their situation unfortunately impacts their loved ones, health care costs, those who have top rescue you when you can't get out of bed.. etc. and there's many other reasons why it's a problem. plus i would never care to live in a world where that was considered 'the norm'. if this were a rare thing then it would be no big deal but it's getting more and more common... especially in small towns & rural areas. i went back to my home town recently, and was absolutely shocked at what i saw.

dryad.. whoever you were talking to about walking (sorry,, didn't read the whole thread)- YES i second that!!!!! that is the best exercise IMO.. because it is the simplest, cheapest, easiest, and least stressful/most pleasurable thing you can do.... and you can see amazing results in such a short amount of time... so, there's the instant gratification factor too.
i can't recommend it highly enough..... and yes, i agree- ANY movement is a good thing. sometimes we tend to just become 'frozen' almost to where we're more comfortable NOT moving. especially when there's emotional trauma involved. it takes some work and pushing ourselves out of our comfort zone to get used to moving again,, but it's so worth it. and we also have to wipe those stupid images of jane fonda bouncing around screaming 'THAT'S IT-- MAKE IT BURN!!!" out of our minds. exercise should NOT be torture, IMO (unless you are a masochist... LOL.. which i sometimes think a lot of runners are.. have you ever seen a happy-looking jogger??)

anyway.... definitely find a comfortable park or trail to walk with a friend, and do it 3-5 times a week. commit to 4-6- miles each time, which is about 1-2 hours a day. TRUST ME.... you WILL see results!!!!!!!! (but as long as you aren't eating a lot of junk of course!)

if you live where it's cold right now, invest in an exercise ball & a few videos... for the ball, stretching, yoga.... etc.
those are good places to start.

Didn't she used to host Americas Most Wanted? I think she was and is a beauty! I don't care about her weight maybe she is happy the way she looks? Obviously she isn't at home hiding behind closed doors...

Windchime my best friend and her kids are also going on a cruise I wonder if it's the same one as you! They are going Carnival also and cayman islands,cozumel and I think also one more stop.Its for 7 days she just called and told me about it last night! I am soooooo jealous!!! Have a great time!!! :woohoo:

We are going on Carnival Cruise Line Browneyes. A friend of ours got us a great group rate.

I'm the same way, Dryad.. I can't stand being a few pounds over my idea weight. I get depressed because this means I have to diet to lose it. hehe I'm about 5'4 1/2 " and the most I ever weighed, and this was back in high school, was 135 and I HATED IT!!! I knew I needed to do something otherwise it would get out of hand. Once I was out of high school I started waitressing and was on my feet for 8 hours. I started dropping the weight and got down to 118. I told myself I will never let myself get past 120 and I've held true to that to this day. I now weigh 116-118. It takes work to stay at that weight, especially at my age.. :)

Not to sound preachy, but a diet should be a lifelong thing and not a temporary fix. I'm not saying this about you, but I don't quite understand the mindset of most people who think that eating a few salads to drop some pounds and then going back to whatever they were eating after they reached their goal. They're eventually going to gain that weight back.

Yes, that's what I mean. I'm going to be 47 this year and won't let that be an excuse. I remember before I had kids and people told me that it was going to ruin my body, I just couldn't let that happen. But, it takes alot of work and discipline.

It's true when they say it's a lifestyle choice. I work hard to stay in shape, and it's a big priority in my life which alot of people don't understand. I have more energy now than in my 20s and have no aches and pains, jump around the house all day. I want to always feel like this.

You sound like me.. hehe I have women wondering how I stay so slim at my age, which is 50. I simply tell them, I work at it because it's very important to me. Since it's so important to me, I make it a priority to hit the gym and when I feel the pounds creeping on, I'm on a diet and it doesn't take long to lose it. To me, it's easier to maintain than to lose once it gets out of hand.. I don't deprive myself either. If I find myself eating too much high calorie food in one day, I will increase my exercise a bit, or I will cut back on food the next day. I also find my body craving health food if I've eaten too much junk.. :crazy:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cevans
Back