Spanish driver sues dead crash cyclist for damage

Dark Knight

Reaction score
A Spanish driver who collided with a cyclist is suing the dead youth's family $29,300 for the damage the impact of his body did to his luxury car, a Spanish newspaper reported on Friday.

Businessman Tomas Delgado says 17-year-old Enaitz Iriondo caused $20,500 of damage to his Audi A8 in the fatal 2004 crash in La Rioja region, the El Pais newspaper reported.

Delgado, who has faced no criminal charges for the incident, wants a further 6,000 euros to cover the cost of hiring another vehicle while his car was being repaired, El Pais said.

The youth had been cycling alone at night without reflective clothing or a helmet, according to a police report cited by El Pais.

His family won 33,000 euros compensation from Delgado's insurance company after the firm acknowledged he had been driving at excessive speed and this could have contributed to the incident, El Pais reported.

Quotes at link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080125/od_nm/spain_driver1_dc_1&printer=1;_ylt=Apfc_0KVQLmtrmgPd12.JRcZ.3QA

I agree he appears to be a 'jerk'. but i will add there is something wrong when a cyclist doesn't have adequate lights and reflective clothing to make themselves visible on the streets in the dark.

i speak as a cyclist with all the necessary visibility.

Yes, I agree that proper safety gear is important. There's just something particularly classless about going after a dead guy's family to fix his luxury automobile, especially when his own insurance company admitted his actions had probably contributed to the cyclist's death.

That's all I meant.

Is this guy related to the Judge who wanted 65k for lost pants at the dry cleaners?

He's not only classless, he's a despicable jerk :mad: ""I'm also a victim in all of this, ..you can't fix the lad's problems, but you can fix mine" :boohoo: :banghead:

The man is probably just mad that he lost the insurance claim (I'm sure his rates went up). And while he was judged not criminally responsible, a grown man who chose to drive at an excessive speed in the dark should have known better. The boy should have protected himself better, too, but at least his youth can explain that and he's already paid for that mistake quite enough.

A child lost his life and a family lost their son/brother, I think this guy should just get over the damage to his car and count himself lucky if he doesn't rot for his heartless attitude. For goodness sake, it was a deadly accident!

What a classless act.

I hope this rebounds on him.
I do too Texana. What is WRONG with people now days!?!?!

:eek: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap:

This is what insurance companies are for, why does he need to sue?? The only reason would be because his own insurance denied his claims, which means he is responsible.

What an *advertiser censored* for doing this.

This is what insurance companies are for, why does he need to sue?? The only reason would be because his own insurance denied his claims, which means he is responsible.

What an *advertiser censored* for doing this.
Exactly Dena.

:mad:

Note: photo of victim and jerk at link

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news/publish/article_14787.shtml

The accident happened in August 2004 and police say the driver had been drinking although was not tested as over the limit. He was recorded as driving at 173.9km/hour on the road which has a 90km/hour limit. The force of the impact was reported to have sent the cyclist’s body a height of 18 metres. A previous administrative agreement was reached in the case when both sides admitted their guilt in the accident.

However, following the new recent publicity seen in the case, the Chief Prosecutor in La Rioja, Juan Calparsoro, has said that he is taking a new look at the case. He said ‘We are looking for the smallest legal requirement to reopen the case, if there is reason for it’, and he said he was taking a personal interest in what happens. But he also noted that the original Civil Guard report on the accident did not detect any crime having been committed.

What a very handsome boy he was!

For perspective - 90km = 54mph; He was driving over 104mph ! Even if the kid had been wearing a helmet it's unlikely that he would have survived the impact at that speed.And drinking, too. What a loser.

How could someone possibly think that it's okay to do something like that? I hope he changes his mind.

HARO, Spain (CNN) -- A Spanish businessman withdrew a controversial lawsuit Wednesday against the family of a teenage boy he struck and killed while driving a luxury car.

Tomas Delgado had filed a suit asking the dead boy's parents to pay him €20,000 ($29,400) on the grounds that the collision that killed their teenage son also damaged his Audi A-8.

News of the case sparked outrage in Spain and generated deep sympathy for the parents of 17-year-old Enaitz Iriondo Trinidad. He was riding his bicycle home to a campground when Delgado's car hit and killed him in August 2004.

Hundreds of people descended on a courthouse in northern Spain in a show of support for the boy's parents Wednesday. They broke into applause when word came that Delgado had dropped the suit.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/01/30/spain.luxury.car/index.html

Wow, way to go citizens of Spain!:woohoo:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong