Scientist: All Blue Eyed People Are Related

White Rain

Reaction score
So...who all on here is kin to me then?

If you've got blue eyes, shake the hand of the nearest person who shares your azure irises: He or she may be a distant cousin.
Danish researchers have concluded that all blue-eyed people share a common ancestor, presumably someone who lived 6,000 to 10,000 years ago.
"Originally, we all had brown eyes," Professor Hans Eiberg of the University of Copenhagen said in a press release. "But a genetic mutation affecting the OCA2 gene in our chromosomes resulted in the creation of a 'switch,' which literally 'turned off' the ability to produce brown eyes."
That "switch" — a simple change from "A," or adenine, to "G," or guanine, in the DNA — actually sits next to the OCA2 gene, which regulates the pigmentation of our eyes, hair and skin, and hence has only a limiting effect on it.
If the mutation had completely deactivated OCA2, all blue-eyed people would be albinos. more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,327070,00.html

Hello, my long lost relative. I have blue eyes also.

So...who all on here is kin to me then?

If you've got blue eyes, shake the hand of the nearest person who shares your azure irises: He or she may be a distant cousin.
Danish researchers have concluded that all blue-eyed people share a common ancestor, presumably someone who lived 6,000 to 10,000 years ago.
"Originally, we all had brown eyes," Professor Hans Eiberg of the University of Copenhagen said in a press release. "But a genetic mutation affecting the OCA2 gene in our chromosomes resulted in the creation of a 'switch,' which literally 'turned off' the ability to produce brown eyes."
That "switch" — a simple change from "A," or adenine, to "G," or guanine, in the DNA — actually sits next to the OCA2 gene, which regulates the pigmentation of our eyes, hair and skin, and hence has only a limiting effect on it.
If the mutation had completely deactivated OCA2, all blue-eyed people would be albinos. more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,327070,00.html
Interesting article. I have green eyes. :crazy:

Boo. My eyes are hazel. So what does that make me?

Six degrees of separation, or six degrees of Kevin Bacon...i want some of the grant money these folks get for this stuff, lol...

I was going to say ..... almost the same ... my eyes are green BUT I have two blue eyed children and 2 brown eyed ones...

I was going to say ..... almost the same ... my eyes are green BUT I have two blue eyed children and 2 brown eyed ones...

The weird (my wife thinks it's interesting) is that my eyes change colors depending on what I am wearing. If I'm wearing something blue, my eyes look more blue, if I'm wearing green or black, they look more green. Pretty neat I guess.

It makes you MY distant cousin. Not sure how you feel about that! ;) But I think you are a great poster!

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

The weird (my wife thinks it's interesting) is that my eyes change colors depending on what I am wearing. If I'm wearing something blue, my eyes look more blue, if I'm wearing green or black, they look more green. Pretty neat I guess.

I was told the same thing when I was younger But now they only stay green.

Hey...somebody do a poll! I don't know how or I would do it. :)

Mine are green with a hint of blue... so... does that make me slightly kin... or just the red-headed step child, no body wants to claim? LoL

I'm a blue-eyed cousin!

Actually, mtDNA studies show that all humans have a common ancestor ("Mitochondrial Eve") in Africa going back about 200,000 years ago. So we are ALL distant cousins. But it is interesting to learn that the blue eye evolved (or mutated) so late and was probably spread with the proto-Indo-European migrations.

Mine are green with a hint of blue... so... does that make me slightly kin... or just the red-headed step child, no body wants to claim? LoL
I love it!! Too funny! I think you have what most call hazel eyes. I do too! I just call them green instead hazel. :D

I want to say hello to all my long lost relatives! :blowkiss: The song We are Family.... is playing in my head right now! Me and my bro. have deep dark blue eyes and our little brother has green..

Blue with flecks of gold. here....the mailman?

Hey cuz! Me too! Blue with flecks of gold........My family tells me when I get color from the sun, my eyes almost look gold alltogether! My daughter is a red-head and has brilliant blue eyes!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back