The Blackest Black

Buzz Mills

Reaction score
Website
forumsforjustice.com
Their Deepest, Darkest Discovery

Scientists Create a Black That Erases Virtually All Light

Black is getting blacker.

Researchers in New York reported this month that they have created a paper-thin material that absorbs 99.955 percent of the light that hits it, making it by far the darkest substance ever made -- about 30 times as dark as the government's current standard for blackest black. The material, made of hollow fibers, is a Roach Motel for photons -- light checks in, but it never checks out. By voraciously sucking up all surrounding illumination, it can give those who gaze on it a dizzying sensation of nothingness.

"It's very deep, like in a forest on the darkest night," said Shawn-Yu Lin, a scientist who helped create the material at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, N.Y. "Nothing comes back to you. It's very, very, very dark."

But scientists are not satisfied. Using other new materials, some are trying to manufacture rudimentary Harry Potter-like cloaks that make objects inside of them literally invisible under the right conditions -- the pinnacle of stealthy technology.

Both advances reflect researchers' growing ability to manipulate light, the fleetest and most evanescent of nature's offerings. The nascent invisibility cloak now being tested, for example, is made of a material that bends light rays "backward," a weird phenomenon thought to be impossible just a few years ago. Known as transformation optics, the phenomenon compels some wavelengths of light to flow around an object like water around a stone. As a result, things behind the object become visible while the object itself disappears from view.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/19/AR2008021902617.html?hpid=topnews

Interesting. I'd like to see this, I'm having a hard time picturing it. Of course, it sounds like I'd have a hard time seeing it at all! :eek:

Of course it's in NY! "And fashion designers quickly purchased all of the material to add to their winter collections!" ;-)

What is the need for this? Seems like scientist have been working on this for a while,I would think there is some importance to this finding,but what?

The blackest black I've ever experienced is touring a cave. I thought that was the blackest you could get.

What is the need for this? Seems like scientist have been working on this for a while,I would think there is some importance to this finding,but what?

Bedroom window coverings?

I have to admit I was almost afraid to click on this link.

What a relief to read about another bunch of scientists instead of some of the other stuff I was imagining!

The blackest black.......and we were all wondering where the child molesters and child killers hearts were. Ta da!

My dad was in the USAF and was asked to work on the Stealth Bomber. He chose not to, but later on in life he told me about its design etc. When I read this article, the only thing that came to mind was that this "blackest black" could be used in the military somehow...

Hopefully they keep it close to the vest or criminals will find lots of ways to use this!

Gah, I'm so pessimistic nowadays.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back